• Podcast:      

Demon3

Splitting Draft Pick 3

POLL  

259 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Redleg said:

I would rather get 2 top class players, than be greedy and get 3 lesser players.

agreed Quality not quantity

On 11/11/2019 at 1:17 AM, Ethan Tremblay said:

I just don’t think we traded selections with North to get pick 8 to then (potentially) split it. IMO we’ll take it to the draft. I’m hoping for Young and Kemp at picks 3 and 8.

Hey Et.

I'd like us to trade out pick 3, for picks 7 & 10.   Holding pick 8 for ourselves.  ( 7, 8, & 10 )

Then look to trade out pick 10 to the cats,  for picks 14 and 24.  ( 7, 8, 14, 24 ) This would be my dream to hit up the draft with.

• Like 2

Port have just traded: picks 29, 71 and a future-first round selection to the Lions and received picks 16, 52, 55 and 72.  

We traded: 26, 50 and a future-first round to North for pick 8.  Not sure how the points calcualte (or what use they are in evaluating a trade) but us landing pick 8 in our trade looks imminently better than Port's pick 16.

Big question is what are Port aiming for with their 2019 bounty of picks: 12, 16, 18, 52, 55, 72?  Hold and go to the draft or trade into the top 10? They can trump Geelong's 14 and 17 and GCS's 15 and 20.  Those picks in the 50's will come in handy for one of the clubs with Academy players! 

The permutations for Port to get a top 10 pick from any club with #3 to #10 are endless so I won't even try. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Port have just traded: picks 29, 71 and a future-first round selection to the Lions and received picks 16, 52, 55 and 72.  

We traded: 26, 50 and a future-first round to North for pick 8.  Not sure how the points calcualte (or what use they are in evaluating a trade) but us landing pick 8 in our trade looks imminently better than Port's pick 16.

Big question is what are Port aiming for with their 2019 bounty of picks: 12, 16, 18, 52, 55, 72?  Hold and go to the draft or trade into the top 10? They can trump Geelong's 14 and 17 and GCS's 15 and 20.  Those picks in the 50's will come in handy for one of the clubs with Academy players! 

The permutations for Port to get a top 10 pick from any club with #3 to #10 are endless so I won't even try. 

Port are trying to hold onto those first 3 picks (12, 16 & 18) while having enough points to pay for their F/S. He is ranked around an early 2nd, from what I've read, so pretty smart by them. While the Lions don't have a heap of list spots so had no need for those extra 2 picks they gave away, and they get to 'death ride' Port all next season. Without knowing how next season turns out, on the surface this is a smart win-win play by both. 

• Like 1

I'll let the cobblers cobble, but Jackson looks to me as though he has the attributes to be a star.

His movement, footy IQ, and aggression are high resolution.  He has a real bounce in his step that's reminiscent of someone always on their toes.  You either have it or you don't.  He looks like a player that makes things happen when he's around the footy.

In his last 5 colts games he averaged a tick over 20 disposals and well over the 30 hitouts per game.  Like Grundy, he'll be an extra mid.  Grundy is an awkward kick, but it doesn't affect his total package.

And if Taylor thinks he can play forward that's significant.  

As for splitting pick 8...

I'm convinced Taylor won't slide 4-6 places in the first round unless he can select the same player he would have selected at pick 8. 

Personally, Ash looks like he''d be a great pick up late in the top 10.  

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I'll let the cobblers cobble, but Jackson looks to me as though he has the attributes to be a star.

I agree. From the limited amounts I’ve seen, Young looks safe and would play a nice role as a behind the ball kicker, but there’s nothing screaming ‘star’, whilst Jackson has several things that do. His footwork is excellent, he covers ground well and easily, he has outstanding  instincts around the ball, wins a lot of contests and has the size and athleticism to be anything in a range of positions. At worst he looks like he’ll just be an excellent ruckman .... at best it’s impossible to predict. 

I hope that Taylor thinks he’s the best player at 3, because he’s going to be the most fun to watch. 

Edited by Axis of Bob
  • Like 10

Some random musings.

I think we'll keep pick 3 and split pick 8.

We gave up 26 and 50 and a future first. It seems the club is more than optimistic of bouncing back into finals so from their point of view we are giving up a future pick in the 11-18 range. Factor in GC concessions and at worst it is 12, and even then that is likely to be pushed back a couple spots with NGA and acadamy bids.

So say its 13, 28 (26 + Henry, Maginness bid) and 53 (+Mead bid). I think we'll bid on Green and GWS will match, ruling out GWS from pushing our pick 8 back.

Rough estimate: 13, 28 and 53 (2122 points) for Pick 8 (1551 points).

For examples sake, say we split 8 for Geelongs 14 and 17 (moved out to 15 and 18 post Henry bid). That gives us three 1st round picks in a supposedly "even" draft.

Pick 15, 18 = 2097 points.

I don't really care for the points system as its only really a guide on trading and bidding for f/s selections and NGA/acadamy players, but for those of you that do concern yourself with them, this makes the trade essentially even with North. We get into to the top 6 then we actually go ahead in this scenario.

The argument against splitting pick 8 usually revolves around how much we gave up to get into the top 10. I'd counter that argument with the club viewing the trade period as a collective. We have already heard Taylor on the road to the draft podcast that he has a group of 35 players of quality. So they will be weighing up the value of 3, 8 and 70ish vs 3, 15 and 18.

If the do decide to split, I'm more than comfortable with it knowing the recruiters will identify players they like in this range. Rivers is one I think will be there that has good wraps on him if we decide to split and miss out on Young or Ash. Likewise, if the rate a player at pick 8 far superior to two in the teens then I'll back them to make that call as well.  

• Like 4

Ross Lyon is infamously known for a number of rather quirky quotes. One quote he used to describe the comments of supporters, challenging his coaching methods, was to say "let the cobblers cobble". I believe he was saying that he, as coach, cannot control what the supports are expressing on-line.

However, when a Demondlander uses the same quote - "I'll let the cobblers cobble" - in an obviously different context, to describe fellow demondlanders, I find to be rather derogatory and quite elitist. 

I would suggest that we are all 'cobblers" on Demondland - we all have the equal right to comment and be commented on in return, but as equals. Surely someone who has nearly 6,000 posts on this site should not consider himself anything else but a "cobbler" as well, and as such, should be more selective in how he expresses himself - particularly when he usually is such an insightful poster. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

Ross Lyon is infamously known for a number of rather quirky quotes. One quote he used to describe the comments of supporters, challenging his coaching methods, was to say "let the cobblers cobble". I believe he was saying that he, as coach, cannot control what the supports are expressing on-line.

However, when a Demondlander uses the same quote - "I'll let the cobblers cobble" - in an obviously different context, to describe fellow demondlanders, I find to be rather derogatory and quite elitist. 

I would suggest that we are all 'cobblers" on Demondland - we all have the equal right to comment and be commented on in return, but as equals. Surely someone who has nearly 6,000 posts on this site should not consider himself anything else but a "cobbler" as well, and as such, should be more selective in how he expresses himself - particularly when he usually is such an insightful poster. 

I beg your pardon?

I take the phrase to mean “allow those who are skilled in a particular trade, to competently execute that trade”.

Do what you do best, so to speak, and let others do what they do best.

Be true to one’s nature, to a deeper extent.

Slight variations of context would infer slightly different meanings, but I think it’s a stretch to find offence, especially in this instance.

I read it as “i’ll trust the experts” and nothing more. Maybe I missed something?

Edited by Mach5
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

I beg your pardon?

I take the phrase to mean “allow those who are skilled in a particular trade, to competently execute that trade”.

Do what you do best, so to speak, and let others do what they do best.

Be true to one’s nature, to a deeper extent.

Slight variations of context would infer slightly different meanings, but I think it’s a stretch to find offence, especially in this instance.

I read it as “i’ll trust the experts” and nothing more. Maybe I missed something?

Idiots will idiot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Idiots will idiot.

On second thought, there’s a possibility I was being too generous...

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

That's what it means.  I don't think PD's "idiot" comment was directed at you.

It must be said,  in the immortal words of Bernard from 'Yes Minister' that what is written by some posters on this forum is a Consignment of Geriatric Bootmakers ... or, in simpler terms, a load of old cobblers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

On second thought, there’s a possibility I was being too generous...

Clearly it's me stating I'm oblivious of this year's draft, but on the surface, i.e. some video footage, I can see the attraction to this particular player. 

To extrapolate my comments as some sort of slight on fellow Demonlanders shows a "special" type of person.

I liked your initial post for a reason if you're in any doubt. 

Edited by ProDee
  • Haha 1

Quite a few posters I respect are on the Jackson train now. Group-think or is there something in that? 

I see the Nik-Nat comparisons at ground level in amidst a stoppage and I like how he gets involved (it's very Nik-Nat), but I haven't seen the footy IQ some speak of, it seems more like very good spacial awareness (the basketball background). This could translate to footy IQ, but only time will tell.

I'm a Jason Taylor fan and with our increased resources in the scouting team, I'm confident to back in Taylor and co to make the right calls.

I still really like Kemp and Robertson's grown on me. If we could somehow split our pick 8, I wonder if there's a chance we could land them both, along with Jackson at pick 3?

Not long to wait now.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, A F said:

Quite a few posters I respect are on the Jackson train now. Group-think or is there something in that? 

I see the Nik-Nat comparisons at ground level in amidst a stoppage and I like how he gets involved (it's very Nik-Nat), but I haven't seen the footy IQ some speak of, it seems more like very good spacial awareness (the basketball background). This could translate to footy IQ, but only time will tell.

I'm a Jason Taylor fan and with our increased resources in the scouting team, I'm confident to back in Taylor and co to make the right calls.

I still really like Kemp and Robertson's grown on me. If we could somehow split our pick 8, I wonder if there's a chance we could land them both, along with Jackson at pick 3?

Not long to wait now.

I think it's the fact he was so dominant, both in the U18 carnival and WAFL colts as a guy who has split time playing predominantly more basketball. If he is 100% focused on his footy now then he could really accelerate into a gun forward/ruck.

I doubt both Robertson and Kemp would be available if we split our pick.

Most likely scenario at this stage would be picks 10 + 22 from Freo.

Could be pick 10: Ash/Serong/Kemp/Stephens

Pick 22: Pickett/Taylor/Weightman

I'd be very happy with a scenario of Pick 3: Jackson, Pick 10: Ash & Pick 22: Pickett

Would be a dream draft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

The cobblers are the pro recruiters and the cobbling is recruiting, that's what ProDee is saying. 

Let the experts do what they do and amateurs and armchair experts should be circumspect.

You are not a cobbler.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

The cobblers are the pro recruiters and the cobling is recruiting, that's what ProDee is saying.  In the Ross Lyon case the cobbler is the coach and cobbling is coaching.

Let the experts do what they do and amateurs and armchair experts should be circumspect.

You are not a cobbler.

Thanks fifty-5, seems I have misinterpreted the meaning of Lyon's quote, and therefore ProDee's post.

My apologies to you ProDee.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

Thanks fifty-5, seems I have misinterpreted the meaning of Lyon's quote, and therefore ProDee's post.

My apologies to you ProDee.

Don't fret, you're every chance to get me next time. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Don't fret, you're every chance to get me next time. 

Even when you don’t try, you’re trouble!😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Even when you don’t try, you’re trouble!😎

Eliteists will elite....how about that one

7 hours ago, willmoy said:

Eliteists will elite....how about that one

For having an opinion ?

I ought to thank you.  You sum up why I avoided this place for six months. 

Adieu. 

10 hours ago, A F said:

Not long to wait now.

This brings back memories of that fantastic 2012 draft in which we picked Toumpas over, amongst others, Wines.

BUT I distinctly recall the debate around Brody Grundy who was widely touted as a top 3 pick in the months leading up to that draft.

As everyone knows, he was eventually picked up by Collingwood at 18, and I remember thinking - geez those mongrels got a steal.

Took a while for him to become the player he is today, but it perhaps shows that clubs tend to get nervous about using such a high pick to draft a skinny 18 year old ruck prospect.

Then again West Coast picked up Nik Nat with 2 a few years earlier.

I don’t know who we should draft. I just hope they don’t stuff it up.

• Like 2

I've had a feeling for a while now that we are 2 to 3 class players off having a premiership capable list.

We really need to pick up class in this draft, not sure splitting picks will help.

If Bennell can get on the park then that's one...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

The cobblers are the pro recruiters and the cobbling is recruiting, that's what ProDee is saying. 

You are not a cobbler.

but sometimes for what ever reason the cobblers make two left foot boots  Sometimes they get it wrong!

Edited by Kent