Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

Demon3

Splitting Draft Pick 3

POLL  

259 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

We've been awful quiet on getting shafted.

Obvious answer is the AFL has our nuts in a vice with cash.

Hopeful answer is part of the Suns rescue package was a quid pro quo with us. Could pick 3 for Ben King be the sweetener? (I doubt it but a man can dream).

That is the huge problem,that is the AFL have every clubs nuts in a vice.

They have way to much say in what clubs should and shouldn't do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

You are bang on @DeeSpencer, it's what is not said that matters at times. Some interpret our silence as getting shafted/bent over rah rah rah, - all clubs and all personel are part of an industry that is happy to look after all parties, even if appearances from the outside it does not look like it. 

The AFL still want Melbourne (read ALL teams) to be competitive due to TV rights...

It could be King, it may not be, and I guarantee that there is an agreement for something ie:, player, political, financial assistance, other , hence the carry on as usual stance.

Hope your right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On The Road to the Draft Podcast from today, they were asked about who they would take if they got pick 3, and they answered: “they’re (the Dees) really keen to trade it, so it will be really interesting to see if they get any takers to be able to split that pick into 2 selections”

  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

You are bang on @DeeSpencer, it's what is not said that matters at times. Some interpret our silence as getting shafted/bent over rah rah rah, - all clubs and all personel are part of an industry that is happy to look after all parties, even if appearances from the outside it does not look like it. 

The AFL still want Melbourne (read ALL teams) to be competitive due to TV rights...

It could be King, it may not be, and I guarantee that there is an agreement for something ie:, player, political, financial assistance, other , hence the carry on as usual stance.

I'd be guessing that's the exact reason why we fronted the commission right after the Suns. I'm sure the conversation went something along the lines of - "we're giving the Suns pick 1 (plus bucket loads more) but we're giving you X". What X is we might not know for a long time or it might remain hidden in the background, but we'll be getting something as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dees247 said:

On The Road to the Draft Podcast from today, they were asked about who they would take if they got pick 3, and they answered: “they’re (the Dees) really keen to trade it, so it will be really interesting to see if they get any takers to be able to split that pick into 2 selections”

GC and GWS are our only real options if we're only looking to package the pick into multiple picks and players.  

The other options we have available is trading down slightly (ie. from Pick 3 to 7-8) with a player attached to that.  For example, if Sydney are really keen on Joe Daniher, do they look to trade up to 3 and give them that with something else?  Do we look to move down two places while also acquiring a player as well?

There are plenty of options for us, it will just be about taking the right one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

GC and GWS are our only real options if we're only looking to package the pick into multiple picks and players.  

The other options we have available is trading down slightly (ie. from Pick 3 to 7-8) with a player attached to that.  For example, if Sydney are really keen on Joe Daniher, do they look to trade up to 3 and give them that with something else?  Do we look to move down two places while also acquiring a player as well?

There are plenty of options for us, it will just be about taking the right one.

It could involve future picks too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dees247 said:

It could involve future picks too

True.  

Either way, we can put Pick 3 on the table to all clubs and see what they can come up with if they're interested.  We have all the power here - we can trade it for a great package, or select a highly rated kid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Splitting the pick with GWS would be a [censored] trade.

Suns want Billy Stretch? Pick 3 + Stretch for Pick 2. Gets Billy where he wants to go, They get mature talent and for only a one pick downgrade. Make it happen Dees. Go [censored] yourselves AFL.

More chance of me playing for the Dees next year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

My personal opinion,

Out: pick 3, Future 2nd round pick.

In: Pick 11, Pick 18 and Xavier O' Halloran/Jye Caldwell from GWS giants. 

Put simply they want Green and another unnamed player.

If we keep 3 and nominate Green, they get him and lose the other player.

We are in the box seat here. Time to get tough and play hardball.

If they are prepared to consider one of O'Halloran/Caldwell, then we don't need to give them our future 2nd rounder and IMO we could also get the Tomlinson compo pick in the deal.

It sounds a lot and could be, but not when you look at what they potentially are getting, 2 stars. 

In other words they get their 2 boys, potential stars and we get 12, 18, one player and say 28. That is  very fair.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Put simply they want Green and another unnamed player.

If we keep 3 and nominate Green, they get him and lose the other player.

We are in the box seat here. Time to get tough and play hardball.

If they are prepared to consider one of O'Halloran/Caldwell, then we don't need to give them our future 2nd rounder and IMO we could also get the Tomlinson compo pick in the deal.

It sounds a lot and could be, but not when you look at what they potentially are getting, 2 stars. 

In other words they get their 2 boys, potential stars and we get 12, 18, one player and say 28. That is  very fair.

Just remembered about Tomlinson compo, we could be paying him overs to create an extra draft pick for GWS to then give back to us in the pick 3 deal. That would be clever. Salary for a draft pick.

If we can bump Tomlinson's compo from after their 2nd round pick to after the first round then we're doing them a huge favour.

As you've suggested I'd do pick 3 and a future 2nd (20-30) for Caldwell (rough value pick 10), pick 12 and pick 18.

If we do them a favour on Tomlinson and they suddenly get pick 20 in compensation instead of pick 38 then they might give us an even better deal. Then I think we should look to move pick 12 in to the top 10 (depending on how we rate the kids).

I'm a fan of trading down but you have to get an A grader with the trade. Tyson was never an A grader. Caldwell might be. No a grader, no deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I'd be guessing that's the exact reason why we fronted the commission right after the Suns. I'm sure the conversation went something along the lines of - "we're giving the Suns pick 1 (plus bucket loads more) but we're giving you X". What X is we might not know for a long time or it might remain hidden in the background, but we'll be getting something as well. 

More like,    'we are giving the suns your pick 2, what the f,,,k are you gunna do about it???'.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pick splitting, an exercise in seeing who the brainless, idiots are at the Club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Just remembered about Tomlinson compo, we could be paying him overs to create an extra draft pick for GWS to then give back to us in the pick 3 deal. That would be clever. Salary for a draft pick.

If we can bump Tomlinson's compo from after their 2nd round pick to after the first round then we're doing them a huge favour.

As you've suggested I'd do pick 3 and a future 2nd (20-30) for Caldwell (rough value pick 10), pick 12 and pick 18.

If we do them a favour on Tomlinson and they suddenly get pick 20 in compensation instead of pick 38 then they might give us an even better deal. Then I think we should look to move pick 12 in to the top 10 (depending on how we rate the kids).

I'm a fan of trading down but you have to get an A grader with the trade. Tyson was never an A grader. Caldwell might be. No a grader, no deal.

Those picks will fall out to at least 13 and 19 with Green sure to be drafted earlier. That trade really relies on Caldwell becoming a good player. If he is as good as we want him to be, I doubt GWS would be willing to include him as they are essentially trading him and some to get an Ash, Serong, Kemp, Young etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Watts the matter said:

Those picks will fall out to at least 13 and 19 with Green sure to be drafted earlier. That trade really relies on Caldwell becoming a good player. If he is as good as we want him to be, I doubt GWS would be willing to include him as they are essentially trading him and some to get an Ash, Serong, Kemp, Young etc.

Valid point, my only counter to that is Caldwell as an inside mid will be behind Coniglio, Hopper, Taranto, De Boer, most likely Ward and whatever combinations of Kelly, Whitfield, Greene and Williams rotate in. Plus they'll be adding Green. 

If he sits in the NEAFL all year he's not helping them win games and is losing trade value. Meanwhile they can get a forward or back flanker to replace him. If I was them I might like Young just as much as Caldwell and Young has a chance to replace Heath Shaw in their best side within 2 years. 

Of course the problem for us is Caldwell might be stuck behind Viney, Gus, Oliver etc for a midfield spot immediately as well but if he's as good as pick 3 and we get some extra picks thrown in then it's worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Valid point, my only counter to that is Caldwell as an inside mid will be behind Coniglio, Hopper, Taranto, De Boer, most likely Ward and whatever combinations of Kelly, Whitfield, Greene and Williams rotate in. Plus they'll be adding Green. 

If he sits in the NEAFL all year he's not helping them win games and is losing trade value. Meanwhile they can get a forward or back flanker to replace him. If I was them I might like Young just as much as Caldwell and Young has a chance to replace Heath Shaw in their best side within 2 years. 

Of course the problem for us is Caldwell might be stuck behind Viney, Gus, Oliver etc for a midfield spot immediately as well but if he's as good as pick 3 and we get some extra picks thrown in then it's worth it.

They'll use pick 3 on Tom Green, not Hayden Young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

They'll use pick 3 on Tom Green, not Hayden Young.

No, the idea behind getting the pick would be so they wouldn't have to use it on Green. They would use a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders for the Green bid.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

GC and GWS are our only real options if we're only looking to package the pick into multiple picks and players.  

The other options we have available is trading down slightly (ie. from Pick 3 to 7-8) with a player attached to that.  For example, if Sydney are really keen on Joe Daniher, do they look to trade up to 3 and give them that with something else?  Do we look to move down two places while also acquiring a player as well?

There are plenty of options for us, it will just be about taking the right one.

Don't rule out the Eagles as part of the Kelly trade. Freo are going to make a pitch to the Cats with the intention of getting Kelly or forcing the Eagles to pay big for him

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Valid point, my only counter to that is Caldwell as an inside mid will be behind Coniglio, Hopper, Taranto, De Boer, most likely Ward and whatever combinations of Kelly, Whitfield, Greene and Williams rotate in. Plus they'll be adding Green. 

If he sits in the NEAFL all year he's not helping them win games and is losing trade value. Meanwhile they can get a forward or back flanker to replace him. If I was them I might like Young just as much as Caldwell and Young has a chance to replace Heath Shaw in their best side within 2 years. 

Of course the problem for us is Caldwell might be stuck behind Viney, Gus, Oliver etc for a midfield spot immediately as well but if he's as good as pick 3 and we get some extra picks thrown in then it's worth it.

Caldwell is not a pure inside mid. He’s actually more outside at this stage, but he’s capable both inside and outside. He’s really well rounded and if he was included with the split picks then I’d do it in a heartbeat. I rate him as better than this whole draft bar the top two. He’s got a good burst of pace, and a beautiful kick both long and short. He’s exactly what we need and IMO will be a star. The only reason he didn’t play more this year is he was injured/building his body up and basically didn’t play consistent matches until second half of the season. 

Get him Dees!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Just remembered about Tomlinson compo, we could be paying him overs to create an extra draft pick for GWS to then give back to us in the pick 3 deal. That would be clever. Salary for a draft pick.

If we can bump Tomlinson's compo from after their 2nd round pick to after the first round then we're doing them a huge favour.

As you've suggested I'd do pick 3 and a future 2nd (20-30) for Caldwell (rough value pick 10), pick 12 and pick 18.

If we do them a favour on Tomlinson and they suddenly get pick 20 in compensation instead of pick 38 then they might give us an even better deal. Then I think we should look to move pick 12 in to the top 10 (depending on how we rate the kids).

I'm a fan of trading down but you have to get an A grader with the trade. Tyson was never an A grader. Caldwell might be. No a grader, no deal.

I actually posted that we could get Tomlinson compo pick and keep our future pick, all for pick 3 and taking Tomlinson off their hands as a FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From GWS perspective:

Trade 12, 18 & Caldwell for Pick 3 and Green.

Or keep them and get just Green, and go into big points deficiancy.

So effectively they are giving up Caldwell for whoever they want at pick 3.

Would they do that? I thought they really rated Caldwell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think GC is the only team worth splitting the pick with given they will have 9 and 15 once the Martin deal goes through... 

I guess it just depends on what we do with those picks if we split. If we are just taking them to the draft id prefer to just keep 3. If we have a few more players coming accross where we need first rounders as trade value then it makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GCDee said:

I think GC is the only team worth splitting the pick with given they will have 9 and 15 once the Martin deal goes through... 

I guess it just depends on what we do with those picks if we split. If we are just taking them to the draft id prefer to just keep 3. If we have a few more players coming accross where we need first rounders as trade value then it makes sense.

we've in a better position over the Giants because they want to prevent bids on Green. we could probably get a better outcome overall from them, however i personally am leaning towards the idea of hanging onto pick 3 and drafting Lachie Ash.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would seriously consider offering Freo Picks 3, 22 and Frost Pick, for Pick 6, 7, and Langdon. I generally think we need two top 10 picks, and Freo may be willing to get Pick 3. Only a hypothetical, but I think there will be several clubs trying to get Pick 3 from us.

Edit: I recon we could be inclined to trade next years First Pick as well. I believe we can quickly rise up the ladder again next year if everything goes right.

Edited by AshleyH30
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Essendon could end up with 5 and 9, for Daniher (9 in from Papley to Carlton).  That would be the perfect pair to split the pick on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...