CHANGES: Rd 18 vs West Coast Eagles

WERRIDEE

I can’t believe a few people here are considering dropping Pruess ?‍♂️

Was one of our best against Carlton & while didn’t have a great game today showed some signs that he could do well for us forward.

The seasons done for us, give him a solid 3 weeks as a Forward/Ruck. If it doesn’t work out then we should drop him but to drop him after his first game as the main tall forward is just ridiculous. McDonald was playing rubbish for the first half of the season but he wasn’t dropped so why should Pruess ?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Alex Flood said:

I can’t believe a few people here are considering dropping Pruess ?‍♂️

Was one of our best against Carlton & while didn’t have a great game today showed some signs that he could do well for us forward.

The seasons done for us, give him a solid 3 weeks as a Forward/Ruck. If it doesn’t work out then we should drop him but to drop him after his first game as the main tall forward is just ridiculous. McDonald was playing rubbish for the first half of the season but he wasn’t dropped so why should Pruess ?

We don’t have a player called Pruess. There is a tall player called Preuss. Do you mean him?

1 hour ago, Sorry kids said:

Jordan should be a good player for us and did nice things today. However I would rather him continue to enjoy his footy, keep learning and develop his body for the rest of the season. Maybe one run towards the end but not against the Eagles. Bedford likewise.

There is no player called Jordan. Maybe you mean Jordon?

24 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Only disagreeing with the bit about Goodwin having the gonads to drop Fritsch. Like you, I was ropable about the decision he made in front of goal at a time when we could have won. Inexcusable.

Fair enough Chook.  I wonder why some of our players tend to panic so often and don't have the poise to just go back and take their shot or steady when the game is in the balance up the field and hit a target.  It's not like we had anything to play for (lose) either.  If we can't do these things in regular H&A there's slim chance of the regular offenders ever doing so in a big one, when there's something on the line.

If we aren't going to teach by setting standards and coaching it out of them now.... then when?

53 minutes ago, Skin Deeamond said:

There is a player called Jordan, he plays for Collingwood! Is that being a bit too pedantic for you? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Had more tackles today than all of Jetta, Lockhart, Gus, ANB, Fritsch, Hannan, Dunk, Hibberd, Preuss, May, Salem, Lever and Jones.

Wouldn't confuse 'not chasing' with just being slow. Also had more clearances than anyone aside from Oliver, and the most centre clearances for the whole team. Not saying he was BOG or anything, but the bloke has 4 flags that say he knows about "winning culture". That's 4 more than our whole club has won for 55 years.

No argument that the man knows what winning looks like. But he won’t be around when/if we ever win a flag and I just don’t see his contribution being valid to the side. 

That his numbers were higher than his teammates is a poor reflection of them, rather than a highlight for him. The midfield performance was rubbish, despite the tap out and clearance differential. 

10 hours ago, Skin Deeamond said:

10 hours ago, Skin Deeamond said:

We don’t have a player called Pruess. There is a tall player called Preuss. Do you mean him?

Microsoft's spell checker is a lot more irritating than I remember

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

No argument that the man knows what winning looks like. But he won’t be around when/if we ever win a flag and I just don’t see his contribution being valid to the side. 

That his numbers were higher than his teammates is a poor reflection of them, rather than a highlight for him. The midfield performance was rubbish, despite the tap out and clearance differential. 

That's fair enough mate, we can all see different things from the same game hey.

I think the leadership and culture stuff is sometimes hard to pick from our vantage point in the stands. My impression of it with Lewis is that he would talk about things during the week in meetings, maybe even have individual chats with players, then he'd back it up in training and on game day and that reinforces the message. I think that kind of leadership is what our leaders need to learn from the most to improve, so that's how I think he improves the culture.

Agree that some of the key indicators on the weekend were poor for our midfield, that's why I was trying to say that I wasn't implying Lewis played great, more that him tackling, winning clearances and even how he used it out of those clearances was an example to our underperforming mids. I would love to see Viney learn those aspects from Lewis.

• Like 2

If Tim Smith gets up then he needs to come in and tag McGovern, like he did for 3 quarters last time we meet (before he gave away that horrible free kick :( ). I also think given the success of Lockhart tagging he should go to Jetta, with ANB shadowing Sheppard. Realy disrupt their backline. If TSmith isn't available then I'd look at bringing in OMac to play back and get Frost to do that role. I don't think we've got anyone else who could do it and I'm keen to see OMac play with May and Lever in the team to see if his confidence is back up. While it might not happen Lewis of Jones would be the out for me.

So out: Lewis or Jones.  In: TSmith or OMac. I'm expecting a lot to kick up about this but think about the rational. I'm assuming that Weid will miss again.

Edited by Red and Blue realist
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

If Tim Smith gets up then he needs to come in and tag McGovern, like he did for 3 quarters last time we meet (before he gave away that horrible free kick :( ). I also think given the success of Lockhart tagging he should go to Jetta, with ANB shadowing Sheppard. Realy disrupt their backline. If TSmith isn't available then I'd look at bringing in OMac to play back and get Frost to do that role. I don't think we've got anyone else who could do it and I'm keen to see OMac play with May and Lever in the team to see if his confidence is back up. While it might not happen Lewis of Jones would be the out for me.

So out: Lewis or Jones.  In: TSmith or OMac. I'm expecting a lot to kick up about this but think about the rational. I'm assuming that Weid will miss again.

OMac's form at Casey in no way warrants a call-up

39 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Mayne tagged Shannon Hurn very effectively. That stopped a lot of the Eagles run from the backline.

• Like 1

I honestly didn't think Hannan was playing yesterday until I saw him jogging into the forward 50 about halfway through the second quarter. He clearly hadn't been anywhere near the ball.

3 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

OMac's form at Casey in no way warrants a call-up

Who else could do the tall tagging role? If TSmith is right then he'd be my first pick, or even Weid coming back and Petty doing it, but in the absence of those 2??

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Mayne tagged Shannon Hurn very effectively. That stopped a lot of the Eagles run from the backline.

Collingwood don't bomb the ball long like we do, so we'll have to play the Eagles differently and not let McGovern dominate like he did that last quarter in our first encounter. 

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-15/eagles-sweating-on-naitanui-after-star-pulls-up-sore

Starting to wonder if we will ever get to see NicNat and Gawn face each other in their prime... Haven't played each other since 2015 (their only duel). Since that time Gawn has gone from a nobody to the best tap ruckman in the comp.

Whatever it is the footy department believe Lewis is bringing to the team is now completely irrelevant.  Him playing in the team means a young kid is missing out on experience. He has to go.

Brayshaw moves into whatever role Lewis was playing on the weekend, and Baker comes in to play the outside role.

Yeah ANB, Hannan, but it's pretty much rearranging the deckchairs whoever we bring in there. Maybe Hannan out for either of Weids or Smith, whichever is fit. Go tall, what's the worst that could happen.

• Like 1