GAMEDAY: Rd 05 vs St Kilda

Whispering_Jack

Anyone else feeling pretty good about this game?

I mean, after last season and some of what we've served up this year, you would almost have no right to be.  The pace the Saints can bring is a worry for us, especially on the 'G, and we've not given any real indication that it's about to change.  Rolling the Swans is great for our confidence, but they aren't exactly Usain Bolt out there.

But I just have a feeling that this is the game that gets us going.  The Saints aren't all that skillful, nor are they big scorers, and I think the additions of Jetta and Lewis, as well as dropping Oscar, makes our backline look better across the board.

I'm feeling a five goal win today, but one in which we keep them at arms length.

Don't quote this later today if we get rolled.  ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

If we're able to defend the ground like we did against Sydney at the SCG, we'll win.

But if we defend it like we tried to against Port or Essendon, we'll lose, and I suspect the game will look and play out eerily similar to our St Kilda loss last year.

That's the trouble TU....they are very different sized grounds!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I mean, after last season and some of what we've served up this year, you would almost have no right to be.  The pace the Saints can bring is a worry for us, especially on the 'G, and we've not given any real indication that it's about to change.  Rolling the Swans is great for our confidence, but they aren't exactly Usain Bolt out there.

But I just have a feeling that this is the game that gets us going.  The Saints aren't all that skillful, nor are they big scorers, and I think the additions of Jetta and Lewis, as well as dropping Oscar, makes our backline look better across the board.

I'm feeling a five goal win today, but one in which we keep them at arms length.

i AM !!

Predicted a 4 goal win earlier but im happy for you to be closer than me.

I feel it in my bones.

We are back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

My main worry is who will take whichever of Bruce or Membrey that Frost doesn’t take. We’ve underrated Membrey a few times with a Hibberd type defender and he’s stitched us up.

But it feels like the sort of game where if we bring our best we will win. Having said this, so did the previous four rounds and we’re 1-3... so what would I know.

• Like 1

Quite simply, if we can’t get past the Saints today we are a long way from being a premiership fancy. 

1 hour ago, McQueen said:

Dean Kent to kick a bag today and be BOG. 

Injured to the hilt, risking longer-term injuries with every step, I must admit that I miss him in the team. If ever there was a bloke to take that kick to win a game in the last quarter, Dean Kent was the fella. 

2 minutes ago, bringbackthebiff said:

23 games in a season - I thought only the media wrote of teams at the start of the year, not supporters. 

22 games actually and we did lose three straight including by around 90 points to one of them.Hardly contender material

5 minutes ago, bringbackthebiff said:

Good call, your right, the saints are awesome 

was commenting on your contention that we could be considered contenders not on whether we will beat the Saints.

Actually I believe we should win today but we need an enormous amount more before we can be considered potential finalists let alone contenders.

18 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

was commenting on your contention that we could be considered contenders not on whether we will beat the Saints.

Actually I believe we should win today but we need an enormous amount more before we can be considered potential finalists let alone contenders.

Remind me again who are the clear favourites at this time of the year

• Haha 1

I want to give everyone a hug and we havent even started the game.

GO DEES !!!!

1 hour ago, Radar Detector said:

My main worry is who will take whichever of Bruce or Membrey that Frost doesn’t take. We’ve underrated Membrey a few times with a Hibberd type defender and he’s stitched us up.

But it feels like the sort of game where if we bring our best we will win. Having said this, so did the previous four rounds and we’re 1-3... so what would I know.

Hore will probably get Membrey with Frost on Bruce.

If we get done via the out-the-back-and-run method (see StK 2018, PA and Essendon 2019... Other references available on request), then I fear for the year. We're not slow when we have the ball, but we press up too high sometimes and open ourselves up - chasing always looks slow. Defensive coaching is the issue, I reckon, not personnel. 

• Like 2