PREGAME: Rd 03 vs Essendon

Demonland

1 hour ago, Drunkn167 said:

Bit disappointed Keilty wasn’t picked this week, thought he was a real chance for his debut

Goody didn't even mention Dec in his media conference. I wonder how far out of the picture he is?

• Like 1

Could the answer to the ruck problem to play Frost in the backup role,  is he big enough.  He should be fast enough what about smart? 

Go Dees.     I need a win!  One of the few matches I see live this year. Go Dees Go

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

According to Mark Stevens, Stringer has a sore foot (didn’t partake in the “captain’s run” today) and Zaharakis didn’t partake either. Although some would argue Zaharakis hasn’t partaken in the season full stop.

To me it doesn’t matter who is out of the opposition cause we have made an art form out of losing to teams who have their big names out. 

Its between the ears. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sisso said:

Pruess will be asking to be delisted so someone else can give him a go in the mid season draft at this rate!

So ? Not sure there would be too many takers based on his current output which is close to zero

The guy needs to perform before he is given game time at any club, not just Melbourne

Why don't you think he played at the North - maybe he just isn't good enough at that level 

He was a major risk as a recruit if you ask me - so far it's been a complete flop - love him to prove me wrong  

Yep and Mason Cox was a walk up start??

We need to roll the dice play him and rest Max in the forward Line
FFS its not rocket science!

FFS MFC let see some Boldness!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sydee said:

So ? Not sure there would be too many takers based on his current output which is close to zero

The guy needs to perform before he is given game time at any club, not just Melbourne

Why don't you think he played at the North - maybe he just isn't good enough at that level 

He was a major risk as a recruit if you ask me - so far it's been a complete flop - love him to prove me wrong  

Considering he hasn't had a chance to even show what he can do in the seniors for us yet I don't know how we are meant to judge him....all I do know is every week Max is going to get smashed by 2 ruckmen and we have another one who could help him out kicking dew off the grass in the VFL

20 minutes ago, Chook said:

Goody didn't even mention Dec in his media conference. I wonder how far out of the picture he is?

He mentioned him after the Geelong game in the press conference but who knows

• Like 1

with guys like melksham, trac, weid and tmac already in our forward line, how the hell are we gonna get away with playing preuss down there as well? we're already too slow in f50, throw in preuss and that would be the slowest forward line of all time.

• Like 1

It’s a very ordinary side. In fact poor to ordinary when you factor in form and selection.  Can’t see us beating many or any sides with this line-up. Have zero confidence of a win looking at this line-up unless the Bombers are even worse.  Very very depressing. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chook said:

Not far, I'm sure,  as things have been...  but we cannot have a foward-line consisting of,   Petracca,  Weideman,  TMc,  and Keilty as well.   It would be way too top heavy.   One would have to go out for Keilty to be considered.

1 hour ago, 640MD said:

Could the answer to the ruck problem to play Frost in the backup role,  is he big enough.  He should be fast enough what about smart? 

Go Dees.     I need a win!  One of the few matches I see live this year. Go Dees Go

Way more than fast enough.

He wouldn't be relied on to get the tap,  but he would essentially have to play as a Ruck/Rover, trying to go up against the opposing ruck and to nullify him.   And to try to get the ball in the square as well. I think he could do some damage in the role if he was in the right mindset.

Big and fast, a lot of opposing mids would be keeping an eye, open for where he is coming from.

I think it would be good for our mids to have to learn to operate expecting the opposing ruck to win the tap.  This would force our Mids to become more skilled.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sydee said:

I don't get all the love for Preuss - he really has shown nothing to warrant selection in an AFL team so far at Melbourne

Simply being big doesn't equate to much at all - in fact, it is likely to be a big liability if he isn't marking, isn't chasing, isn't kicking goals etc.

Not saying Gawny doesn't deserve a backup but Preuss would be behind Keilty for mine at this stage 

I agree.

People are forgetting game 1 where we got run off our feet. Preuss will make us slower and our biggest danger is Essendon running us off our feet.

Game 2 we just bombed it in. If our plan is to rest Gawn / Preuss in the goal square and bomb it in, we're screwed as well.

We need to be faster. We need to lower our eyes.

Not sure that Wagners are the answer but I don't think Preuss is.

4 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Disappointed Garlett is playing VFL when we are crying out for a small forward.  Players with lots of pre-seasons behind them come straight back in.  Numerous examples of this around the league.  Doesn't compute.

It felt like the last two seasons under Goody his selection views usually aligned with mine, but now that he's doggedly sticking to the game style he wants us to play, the selection is becoming less aligned with how I would pick the team. But he's the professional. I too though, worry that we won't have enough pace at ground level and surely, even though Jeffy can struggle defensively and physically at times, he can't possibly be any worse than an ANB.

I think we should have picked Jeff, but maybe he didn't quite get up? All speculation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

That surprises me. I thought he was quick but have no real evidence. Maybe send it to the fact checker thread.

Yeah, I wouldn't say he's quick, but he's another option for that third tall role, which tells me that they don't think Hore can get the job done. He's probably got more toe than Hore though and he'll need that given Essendon's quicker forwardline.

Wagner's strengths for me is he does take the game on as you've said, runs with it and can play a sweeping role that turns into offence. 

He's not my preferred back, but he'd be ahead of Hore and the reinvented backman-turned-forward Joel Smith. 

His kicking is a little iffy, but I like his composure.

As for Petracca, I'm glad he's kept his spot. He got to the right places last week. I'm glad they're backing him in to rediscover some form. I reckon he'll click this year. Bookmark it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hemingway said:

It’s a very ordinary side. In fact poor to ordinary when you factor in form and selection.  Can’t see us beating many or any sides with this line-up. Have zero confidence of a win looking at this line-up unless the Bombers are even worse.  Very very depressing. 

Is that you OD? Have you taken over Ernest's account?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Lockhart has been named in the back pocket.  He will surely play forward, showed some good signs last week.

He was named in the back pocket last week too. I think you know by now that where certain players are named is rarely the position they actually start.

1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

Simple reason to win tomorrow night. Win and we put the scum on the bottom of the ladder. Let them stew on that for a week. 

I don't think that will get it done.

• Haha 1