Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Welcome to Demonland: James Jordon

Demonland

Being relegated to sub should improve the bloke especially if he is made of the right stuff

Didn't do Fritsch any harm when Bayley was dropped for the Prelim final in 2018

Jordon's ambition should be to become at least B+ or better.  Then they'll never drop him

Reality is that we've got a really good list so it's a great problem to have anyway.  10 years ago we barely had half a dozen AFL-standard players on the list

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

The selection decision this week is a horses for courses decision. Goodwin spoke of a squad mentality in his most recent presser. JJ will get his chances this year. Bringing TMac back for Brown, and with Kozzy coming back, it was always going to be about team balance given the even performance last week.

I think Goodwin pumping up JJ was the right move in the press, given by that stage they would have known we needed to replace Brown with another tall as Petty couldn't play forward when West Coast have three tall forwards to deal with. Therefore, they knew it wouldn't be a case of Kozzy just replacing Brown and leaving JVR and Petty forward.

I like JJ and everything I've heard from the coaches that coached him at CGS is that he is a ripper, and that appears to be backed up by Yze's comments on his training habits. However, IMO he's a solid B grader with no elite skills. Doesn't mean he couldn't make A grade if given the opportunity, but if we lose him, we lose him. I think he'll nail Harmes' spot this year and JJ will get Harmes' contract moving forward. He doesn't make the same mistakes that Harmes does, but he's less explosive, which is part of the reason why he doesn't seem to be in direct competition with Sparrow.

Anyway, people have to accept the squad mentality approach we're taking this year. It won Geelong a flag last year and in the EPL, it's the go to approach for player management. The Manchester sides have won countless titles operating in this fashion. It's the sensible approach, and with the talent we have across the squad, it keeps everyone on their toes.

Making JJ the sub is an interesting one and may have something to do with the running needed on the wide expanses of Optus, but Melksham seems to me to be the perfect sub. I'd hazard a guess they wanted to reward JJ for his game and so the potential that Melksham could provide forward of centre late in the game was overlooked for the run JJ could provide.

Edited by A F
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, Winners at last said:

Did they say that Scott Thompson was no Scott Thompson?😲

No, back then we were saying Scott Thompson was no Andy Lovell.

4 hours ago, David-Demon said:

Maybe good for a first round pick swap plus player next draft ......with a really low Team.

Nope. Jordon's a free agent. We'll lose him essentially for nothing. Well less than his true value anyway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DubDee said:

lol. he is no scott thompson

it was either him or sparrow. JJ unlucky. 

At the time when he left us, Scott had played 39 games and was not yet the Crows star of over 300 games you are stating was obviously better than JJ, since it made you lol.

I think we could have managed a player this week and kept him in the 22.

If Hibbo pulls out he may still play, but that is not the point.

• Like 1

Defenders: May, Lever, Hibberd, Brayshaw, Rivers, McVee, Bowey

We always pick 7 defenders.

Jordon being dropped suggests that Petty will once again play forward.  It's this restructure that has cost Jordon his position (along with Pickett's inclusion).  If Petty was in his typical defensive role then one of Hibberd or McVee would have made way.  In all probability that would have been Hibberd, even though we look better with him in the side.

So, I can understand why Jordon has lost his spot, but it is disappointing.  I was at the ground last Sunday and he was very good.  Viney is a bit lucky.  The VC and length of tenure always buys you a bit of time.  But gee, his last 2 weeks have been terrible.

• Like 12

JJ is sitting on the edge of our 22/23! So he will be in our out of the team depending on injuries, team balance against certain opponents e.g. smaller backline vs Swans and then generally team composition e.g. ANB and Spargo play their specific role. Hopefully the other category is when the FD tries out a few players that seems to have happened a little this year.

JJ looked very solid last week and played very well, so would be unlucky to miss this week, but ANB/Spargo played their roles very well last week and Sparrow is a burst player who is very strong that the FD really like in the team!

If JJ is in the team he will do a good job, if he is sub, he is a handy player who can cover multiple roles. 
You have to drop someone for him to play, it’s not easy to work out who!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BDA said:

With injuries and loss of form I reckon JJ will play plenty of games this season. We really are blessed with depth.

Jordon will play plenty of games as we're likely going to get a few injuries and the squad mentality can mean that players will be rested & managed

Geelong did it to a nicety last season and we are in a copy-cat league so expect more of the same ... however, the squad mentality was always coming to the AFL as the game itself is incredibly taxing on the legs

As an example our team last season ... we looked tired and listless from about round 8 and would only play with legs on top of the ground periodically.  The flag run took it's toll

Geelong this year so far?  They look slow and not desperate.  They'll probably come good but there are no guarantees in this comp

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Macca said:

Being relegated to sub should improve the bloke especially if he is made of the right stuff

Didn't do Fritsch any harm when Bayley was dropped for the Prelim final in 2018

Jordon's ambition should be to become at least B+ or better.  Then they'll never drop him

Reality is that we've got a really good list so it's a great problem to have anyway.  10 years ago we barely had half a dozen AFL-standard players on the list

Agree totally.  JJ has been well looked after.  He probably should have played more games at Casey in 2022 but kept getting picked ahead of Chandler, Bedford, Baker & Dunstan.

His weakness was his hesitancy with the ball in hand where he invariably went back & took the safe option rather than taking the game on.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Agree totally.  JJ has been well looked after.  He probably should have played more games at Casey in 2022 but kept getting picked ahead of Chandler, Bedford, Baker & Dunstan.

His weakness was his hesitancy with the ball in hand where he invariably went back & took the safe option rather than taking the game on.

I don't quite see it that way Frankie but JJ certainly has the scope to elevate his game.  The coaches would be explaining to him where his game is at too.  To get to B+ level takes a manic mindset sometimes

He did play well last week so is definitely unlucky.  They just ran out of spots but there might be a late withdrawal anyway which could lead to a reshuffling

As an example not many were predicting Petty forward last week as a replacement for Gawn's role in the forward line

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gator said:

Defenders: May, Lever, Hibberd, Brayshaw, Rivers, McVee, Bowey

We always pick 7 defenders.

Jordon being dropped suggests that Petty will once again play forward.  It's this restructure that has cost Jordon his position (along with Pickett's inclusion).  If Petty was in his typical defensive role then one of Hibberd or McVee would have made way.  In all probability that would have been Hibberd, even though we look better with him in the side.

So, I can understand why Jordon has lost his spot, but it is disappointing.  I was at the ground last Sunday and he was very good.  Viney is a bit lucky.  The VC and length of tenure always buys you a bit of time.  But gee, his last 2 weeks have been terrible.

Interesting take. You're definitely right in that we like to play 7 defenders, but I assumed Petty would go back this week given the three West Coast talls, but maybe Hibbo plays on Waterman?

1 hour ago, A F said:

Interesting take. You're definitely right in that we like to play 7 defenders, but I assumed Petty would go back this week given the three West Coast talls, but maybe Hibbo plays on Waterman?

Buddy (199cm), Logan McDonald (196), Amartey (197).

• Like 5

10 hours ago, layzie said:

Why is everyone getting a Scott Thompson feel? He played every game in 04 until he got injured.

And the Scott Thompson problem was that he was asked to play when injured. His father was very unhappy and said he'd never play for Melbourne again. He didn't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like JJ and disappointing to see him dropped again this week. He might get the sub spot and they should have Melksham play at Casey this week. It’s simply that JJ is unlucky given others have cemented a spot ahead of him.  With Hunter coming in, it means he’s squeezed out of the midfield role.  It would be a shame if JJ saw better opportunities elsewhere , and like Bedford, others may see him as gettable.  

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 1:54 PM, bobby1554 said:

He has put talks on hold, why? To get more opportunity at another club? If that's the case, then HE doesn't believe he can get ahead of the likes of Sparrow, Harmes, etc. Why would you play someone with that mindset! 

I know you've had a number of responses on this and have walked back your initial post (a bit) but I agree with others that he is probably right in putting talks on hold. I'm assuming no-one posting has any knowledge of what the club has actually offered him but as a fringe player probably nothing exceptional. His value is unlikely to go down further from where it's at right now. Melbourne has brought in Hunter to take JJ's wing spot so I understand that he's probably not feeling the love. The fact that JJ's put talks on hold actually shows he thinks he can get ahead of other players, not the opposite. If he continues to show form and the Club doesn't recognise that by selecting him then he should look elsewhere.

19 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Can’t believe we dropped him after his game and bought back Tmac,  looked more dangerous playing smaller.

I tend to agree with you, but with BB not playing TMac has come in as his replacement. Petty will likely still play forward. Pickett has come in for JJ and I guess the thinking is also that Kossie will be playing some midfield which is where JJ would have played. I'll be disappointed if JJ is not sub ahead of Melksham who has disappointed this year. I finally got around to watching the 2022 Qualifying Final against Sydney yesterday and Melksham played horribly (of course he wasn't alone).

18 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Absolutely but I just thought on current form he's been much better than Sparrow. Pickett was always coming in.

Disagree entirely. Sparrow is a gun.

15 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

Me too as Melksham has been named for Casey.

Not the first time he's been the sub at Optus and that game was pretty special. 

Not sure whether being named for Casey means much. Still hopefully the fact that JJ wasn't named for Casey means he plays as sub against West Coast ahead of Melksham.

14 hours ago, deanox said:

He had a great game, and is super stiff but when I look at the 22 it's really hard to drop someone ahead of him, with Sparrow being the only option.

With Gawn a walk up start to come back in, I suspect that a small forward (either Spargo or Chandler) will make way as well.

Salem is going to add significant pressure to Hibbert, Bowery, Rivers or McVee as well.

I do think it is particularly important to make sure that the young guys get as many games as possible to ensure we keep the depth and the list profile/renewal. Sparrow and JJ in particular need to play as often as possible so they are there and ready. Losing them will put a hole in our list profile long term.

When Max comes back I think they'll drop a key forward rather than a small forward as part of Max's role now Grundy is in the side is to take marks and kick goals (the same applies for Grundy).

This might be heresy but I'm not sure whether Salem is an automatic selection in our Best 22. Hibbert is in the side if we're playing small but if we're playing tall in defence we've got 7 players (including Brayshaw) competing for 5 positions. Brayshaw should be in defence. Moving him on the ball late last year was one of a number of things the selectors/coaches got wrong.

Edited by Sydney_Demon
Typos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydney_Demon said:

Disagree entirely. Sparrow is a gun

Didn't say I don't rate him. The truth is I do very much. In previous posts I have likened him to a young CP.

So, I'm not sure what your disagreeing with. Maybe you think I'm wrong and Ts form has been better than Jjs but Id say your very much in the minority here. But I guess that's what this site is all about.

As a side note nothing would please me more to Ts back to his 21 early 22 form. Love his strength and hardness at the ball. Plus he can kick it the proverbial mile.

But Jj was so much better than him against the Swans and I think he should be rewarded.  I think and hope Jj will be the sub and hopefully Ts will play a ripper. These two blokes hold a big part in the future of our club. Cheers SD.

Edited by leave it to deever

8 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Hannan straight in as the sub for Keith.  Tackle ... free kick.  Looks to be in ripping condition

Hannan has a point to prove...I wish him well. I liked him at the Dees. His goal in the 2018 Elimination final against Geelong to ice the game and the deafening roar of the Melbourne Crowd in that game and the following week against the Hawks is a memory I will treasure.

Best of luck to Mitch.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sydney_Demon said:

When Max comes back I think they'll drop a key forward rather than a small forward as part of Max's role now Grundy is in the side is to take marks and kick goals (the same applies for Grundy).

This might be heresy but I'm not sure whether Salem is an automatic selection in our Best 22. Hibbert is in the side if we're playing small but if we're playing tall in defence we've got 7 players (including Brayshaw) competing for 5 positions. Brayshaw should be in defence. Moving him on the ball late last year was one of a number of things the selectors/coaches got wrong.

The key forwards right now are JVR, Petty, McDonald. We've effectively swapped JVR and Petty for Max and Brown, but as a result are playing shorter in defence. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

Agree RE Salem not being auto best 22, if the others are playing well. There are only a couple of best 22s tbh the rest are truly on form.

I just really hope that we play guys like JJ and Sparrow ahead of Harmes and Melksham as much as possible. It's imperative we retain that group from a list profile perspective.

Oliver is 26 late this season so has years to go. Below Oliver is a 2.5 year gap to Petty, the next oldest regular player, and the next group are aged:

Petty, Spargo, Chandler (all 23), Sparrow, Jordan (both 22), Pickett, Rivers (both 21).

Personally think it is crucial we keep that group of 7 so that we don't have a big drop off in 5 years with a dearth of experience.

Younger than that we have good prospects (Turner, JVR, Jefferson, Bowey, McVee) but this group probably have another 2-4 years before they start "looking for opportunities" if they aren't playing enough.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Lou C. Fur said:

Hannan has a point to prove...I wish him well. I liked him at the Dees. His goal in the 2018 Elimination final against Geelong to ice the game and the deafening roar of the Melbourne Crowd in that game and the following week against the Hawks is a memory I will treasure.

Best of luck to Mitch.

Yes 100% there Lou.  He really was the icing on a very nice cake during 2018

• Like 1