Simon Goodwin Contract Extension [Aug 2018]

Elwood 3184

Give him 10 years he's worth it gun coach.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, don't make me angry said:

Those mfcss will be spewing they want to change the coach just so they can be happy in their misery, every coach should be given 5 years  minimum to see how far they can take their team, unless they are totally useless, he is already a better coach then Richardson who has the worst coaching record in history after 100 games, and the saints have been in the bottom 4 more then any side since 1896.

Yes... as long as there’s a “get out” clause for bad appointments, to make sure the ship doesn’t go down.

For the sake of clarity, let’s refer to it as the Mark Neeld clause.

• Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, Tim said:

Yes... as long as there’s a “get out” clause for bad appointments, to make sure the ship doesn’t go down.

For the sake of clarity, let’s refer to it as the Mark Neeld clause.

Lyon made a mistake hiring him, which can be excused because you don't know someone could be so bad, but essendon having  him as head of game plan just showed how clueless he is, they have no excuse neeld's record gave them a clue he was no good.

5 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I'm sure they don't realize that he isn't the right guy as the corresponding thread on Demonland has made abundantly clear.

When Goodwin becomes a favourite son, that will be the time he's traveling to softly... and will be time he goes.

I like it he's not popular amongst some here, as we are poor judges...  going by the past odd half century.

Thing for me is that when I look around the market, there are few if any that I think I'd have over Goody.  Longmire, Clarkson, the Scott brothers and I guess now Hardwick.  For all his suposed brilliance, I don’t think Ross Lyons record at Freo has been anything positive.  Perhaps Fagan may prove to be a good coach in years to come.

Counter to that, I can also see quite a few clubs that would like to get their hands on Goody.  I recon that like many players these days though Goody probably values sucess over money and on that basis, I think there is a good mutual benifit with Goodwin at the MFC and I recon both parties would think they're on a good thing at this point.

3 hours ago, willmoy said:

Lets see a picture of your group from the kinder, then

Looks like my attempt at humour has fallen flat. Ah well. From memory, the line “all those in favour say aye” pops up in a few Simpsons’ episodes (going on strike, monorail etc), hence my response. But I think I might have picked the wrong image/episode here in trying to convey my overwhelming support of extending Goodwin’s contract.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Thing for me is that when I look around the market, there are few if any that I think I'd have over Goody.  Longmire, Clarkson, the Scott brothers and I guess now Hardwick.  For all his suposed brilliance, I don’t think Ross Lyons record at Freo has been anything positive.  Perhaps Fagan may prove to be a good coach in years to come.

Counter to that, I can also see quite a few clubs that would like to get their hands on Goody.  I recon that like many players these days though Goody probably values sucess over money and on that basis, I think there is a good mutual benifit with Goodwin at the MFC and I recon both parties would think they're on a good thing at this point.

Adelaide may be looking for a coach if they have another bad season.  Goody, Riccuito best mates.  Let’s lock Goody up for an extra 2.  Roos knows a thing or two more than the posters on the other thread about what makes a good afl coach.

• Like 1

Now that we've actually made the finals, I can say I am well pleased with Goodwin's consistent effort on continuous improvement even to the point of possibly sacrificing some current results for the sake of development, by giving different players a crack and trying players out in different roles.

I would suggets that internally the club still sees itself in 'rebuild' mode and may continue to do so pretty much forever if this current culture can be sustained, no matter how good the september results!

1 hour ago, Little Goffy said:

Now that we've actually made the finals, I can say I am well pleased with Goodwin's consistent effort on continuous improvement even to the point of possibly sacrificing some current results for the sake of development, by giving different players a crack and trying players out in different roles.

I would suggets that internally the club still sees itself in 'rebuild' mode and may continue to do so pretty much forever if this current culture can be sustained, no matter how good the september results!

It's the year 2119, and after winning the last 100 premierships in a row Melbourne's Head AFLX coach Simon Goodwin's head says "We're continuing to build strong habits, and as I've said for the last century, it's not where you are now, it's about where you are come Round 23, Stardate 2142.1"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Chook said:

It's the year 2119, and after winning the last 100 premierships in a row Melbourne's Head AFLX coach Simon Goodwin's head says "We're continuing to build strong habits, and as I've said for the last century, it's not where you are now, it's about where you are come Round 23, Stardate 2142.1"

We will outmaneuver the inevitable heat death of the universe itself if it will give Oscar McDonald a little more time to develop into his body.

And Colin Sylvia will also be there, getting ready for a good preseason.

Edited by Little Goffy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Let's see if he can coach first. In a finals situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think a 2 year extension on the current contract wouldn't be the most ridiculous thing in the world. We've improved steadily and our numbers stack up well on the statistics side of things, it's now a matter of everything clicking. I feel like that could be next year and the finals this year will be a launching pad for it.

18 hours ago, Chook said:

Good lord I hope AFLX isn't the predominant future of the game.

A good indicator will be who clamors for us, among this year's draft and Training personnel. Who wants to come and who wants to learn in a successful, professional environment.

32 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

I think we should wait until we've seen how he coaches in a defending-a-premiership situation. We just can't know for sure until then.