Changes v GWS Giants

30 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Seeing Buggs name way too much in this thread...   

It’s one of those “Without knowledge, I am an expert” statements, like:

Spargo needs a rest.

Fritsch needs a rest

Jeffy  should play even though he stank it up in the twos

cam Pederson is the answer

etc etc.

bugg worked hard and got lots of ball, but his turnovers were disastrous.  Not just bad, absolute shockers.  He would not be on my team sheet, unless AVB or Kent didn’t come up.

Edited by buck_nekkid

26 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

Totally true.

In their defence, though... We are at a breaking point. All through this year we had guys knocking on the door to come in. Now with the injuries we have, the next man up will be a big downgrade on who played over at Optus on Sunday. Bugg did have some selection-worthy games earlier this year, and was pretty close a couple of times. He's sort of the best of a bad bunch in some peoples' eyes. And he's a mature body, coming into finals.

But yes, your point is dead on.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

Spargo needs a rest.

Fritsch needs a rest

Jeffy  should play even though he stank it up in the twos

cam Pederson is the answer

etc etc.

bugg worked hard and got lots of ball, but his turnovers were disastrous.  Not just bad, absolute shockers.  He would not be on my team sheet, unless AVB or Kent didn’t come up.

Imagine he comes in vs GWS and has a decent game and is retained for the Elimination Final.

I shudder to think of the turnovers he will produce on the big stage.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, ManDee said:

Oscar is 22yo, Wagner 24, Keilty 23. Petty is the only younger key back he is 19 and not ready as we saw earlier in the season. OMac is fine.

So that is why he learns so slowly, and yes, he is fine - so fine that he is bumped out of the way rather easily,

43 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

Spargo needs a rest.

I don't think Spargo just 'needs a rest', I simply think he's been playing poorly, isn't at the level required yet, and in an ideal world would have been dropped 3+ weeks ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

So that is why he learns so slowly, and yes, he is fine - so fine that he is bumped out of the way rather easily,

The decision to play Petty (over Frost) against St Kilda is still one of the most mystifying of the year and nearly cost us finals, atm it’s costing us top 4. I hope the “learning” Goodwin has taken from this year is to play our best 22 as often as possible.

anyway, FINALS!!! ??????

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Rogue said:

I don't think Spargo just 'needs a rest', I simply think he's been playing poorly, isn't at the level required yet, and in an ideal world would have been dropped 3+ weeks ago.

That’s an argument well made.  I payed close attention on the replay and thought he did ok, without being great, or stinking it up.  Did his job.  Agree there is no one to drop him for atm.  Would be a nice problem to have.

Not sure where to put this, as it's not really a selection thing...

But going into finals, Hibberd being back and being in good form, with one game and then a fortnight to keep himself cherry ripe... No doubt our defence and it's injuries is our big, big weakness... Him being there, and just being able to defend AND rebound, even if only effectively for a couple of quarters a game... makes a huge, huge difference to any success MFC has this final series.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thrice said:

AFL Supporter Ladder - 2017

From Roy Morgan (2017), number of supporters of each AFL club. Both us and Tigers are at the pointy end of converting supporters to members. 

I'd love to know how they actually determine those numbers. Criteria ? Sample etc. Ouija board ?

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

I'd love to know how they actually determine those numbers. Criteria ? Sample etc. Ouija board ?

Gillis trouser plumb.  It swings in the breeze and comes up with a number.  When he starts feeling exited, the ‘bloods’ are pumping all the way!

• Haha 2

Reading the Casey review on the MFC website Bugg and Wagner are the only two that popped up for a mentioned but it sounded like a dirty day where finding positives is like finding a needle in a haystack. 

They only mention that Bugg’s numbers where high and that he “gained yardage” and Wagner’s performance “gutsy” with 8 tackles and 28 disposals. 

We could, as some have mentioned, give Wagner a promotion to run him in defence and switch Fritch forward again. Or the alternative bring Bugg in for one last shot. Both options for me we drop/rest Spargo. 

No change is entirely possible, why would you want to change the team that booked us finals?

5 hours ago, deejammin' said:

The decision to play Petty (over Frost) against St Kilda is still one of the most mystifying of the year and nearly cost us finals, atm it’s costing us top 4. I hope the “learning” Goodwin has taken from this year is to play our best 22 as often as possible.

anyway, FINALS!!! ??????

Yes but on the other hand...  IF Petty had of taken to CHB for Melbourne, like a duck to a pond... he may have been a direct replacement for Lever.

We wouldn't have broken stride, if it worked.  It didn't this time; but for a one off match, was worth the risk...  nothing ventured.

Top 4_  not this year.

Goodwin is doing a great job.  He wanted Lever, was that wrong ?  We payed too much, but we got the player.

Who should he have played?  Keilty?  Smith ?  TMc ?  Hogan ?  Pedo ?

The Footy dept has steered us to the finals series, at the same time as we develop players under our main 22.

5 hours ago, beelzebub said:

It's from Roy Morgan's nation-wide all-encompassing survey of 14,000 people. Then extrapolated out to the nation population over the age of 15. That's a really solid survey population, it would be accurate to within 2-3 percent.

The question will be something like: do you follow AFL (y/n). If so, which team do you support. Naturally within those numbers there will be plenty that take only a passing interest. We regularly boast that we have one of the highest conversion ratios of supporters to members, that's the stat that matters.  

3 hours ago, Thrice said:

It's from Roy Morgan's nation-wide all-encompassing survey of 14,000 people. Then extrapolated out to the nation population over the age of 15. That's a really solid survey population, it would be accurate to within 2-3 percent.

The question will be something like: do you follow AFL (y/n). If so, which team do you support. Naturally within those numbers there will be plenty that take only a passing interest. We regularly boast that we have one of the highest conversion ratios of supporters to members, that's the stat that matters.  

It is one stat that matters, but others also matter. Large numbers of "passing interest" folk who watch their nominal team on TV encourage advertisers which converts to interest from the free-to-air TV station to show more of their games. So, Sydney get more FTA games because there are a lot of non-member Sydney supporters who will watch their games. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, beelzebub said:

They do a survey then extrapolate out to the Australian population.

Edited by mauriesy

11 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

They do a survey then extrapolate out to the Australian population.

They do a survey!  

How do they do it, phone calls (landline-mobile), mail, e-mail people in the street, internet poll? 

What demographics are the people asked? 

What was the question? Are you a member of a sporting side? If you had to barrack for an AFL side who would it be? What AFL side to you barrack for? Who do you want to win the AFL premiership? Different questions can get different answers.

How is the information gathered extrapolated? Do you put the same weight on the interviews conducted outside Richmond station on game day to random phone calls to people in Cairns?

Who paid for the survey? What answer did they want?

What if Sydney FC was looking for a new sponsor and they paid for it. What if a Gold Coast sponsor paid for it? These things can effect an outcome.  Like tobacco companies paying for research into tobacco related illness, or vitamin companies researching efficacy of their own product. Take it with all grain of salt.

When I am approached by a research company I always skew my answers to suit an outcome that I choose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pates said:

Reading the Casey review on the MFC website Bugg and Wagner are the only two that popped up for a mentioned but it sounded like a dirty day where finding positives is like finding a needle in a haystack. 

They only mention that Bugg’s numbers where high and that he “gained yardage” and Wagner’s performance “gutsy” with 8 tackles and 28 disposals. 

We could, as some have mentioned, give Wagner a promotion to run him in defence and switch Fritch forward again. Or the alternative bring Bugg in for one last shot. Both options for me we drop/rest Spargo. 

No change is entirely possible, why would you want to change the team that booked us finals?

I guess selection is everything and it should be the 'rule' for the best players who are available to be in the team for the GWS game, as in any other game already played. I'd like to see the youth policy applied against GWS with J.Smith and Wagner brought into the running machine that we could apply on the noted movers in the GWS forward line. It would certainly help Frosty, Hibberd, Jetta, for example. With Jones used at HBFlank, this could be a running backline of some quality for fwd 50 entries. Both Fritsch and Salem could be relieved from backline duties, for fwd and midfield roles where their kicking skills and ball magnetism could be of immense value.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DV8 said:

Yes but on the other hand...  IF Petty had of taken to CHB for Melbourne, like a duck to a pond... he may have been a direct replacement for Lever.

We wouldn't have broken stride, if it worked.  It didn't this time; but for a one off match, was worth the risk...  nothing ventured.

Top 4_  not this year.

Goodwin is doing a great job.  He wanted Lever, was that wrong ?  We payed too much, but we got the player.

Who should he have played?  Keilty?  Smith ?  TMc ?  Hogan ?  Pedo ?

The Footy dept has steered us to the finals series, at the same time as we develop players under our main 22.

I’m enjoying how we’re going and hope Goodwin does brilliantly, but he should’ve played Frost, who has been very good for us since he came back in, against St Kilda. I believe we would be in top 4 this year if he had. Anyway woulda, coulda, shoulda. I’m excited about our list, the finals and our potential for growth. Just thought this was one we got wrong.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Darkhorse72 said:

No player needs a rest for rd23, they get the following week off.  That will freshen up all the players with a week off.

True, I’m picturing no change to be honest. MAYBE Spargo dropped but the selection committee have already shown they have great love for him so I think he’ll keep his place. 

On 8/20/2018 at 6:43 PM, Moonshadow said:

Ch 9 news saying Hibberd has a "corked hamstring", whatever that is

Knowing them if it's not the filth to report on give out "fake news". In this case stupid fake news.