Tom McDonald - Ready to Re-sign?

Lucifers Hero

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The HS has an article titled 'Tom on Target for Bumper Payday'.

Can someone who can get behind the paywall tell us if he is any closer to signing or if its just another HS 'fluff' pieces.

Cheers,

Nothing of substance re contract talks, in fact the 'bumper payday' refers to the prospect of a large pay rise should he continue to make a success of his move up forward ....... which in turn suggests later rather than sooner in the year.  Speculation by the writer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Deeoldfart said:

Nothing of substance re contract talks, in fact the 'bumper payday' refers to the prospect of a large pay rise should he continue to make a success of his move up forward ....... which in turn suggests later rather than sooner in the year.  Speculation by the writer.

Thanks D.  Nothing like speculation by a journo to grab a headline, eh!

Last time the club sort to sign him to a longer contract but Tom chose 2 years because he wanted to see how the club improved (and I suspect because he would then be an UFA) .  He has now seen our improvement.  I would be surprised if he leaves for some extra $$ just when the club is on the cusp of good things.

I reckon the club will look after Tom and will give him a decent pay rise with his fair share of the extra 20% pa salary cap in the new CBA agreement, while keeping to its policy of paying around market value.  

• Like 1

I find it astounding that a player like Tom McDonald whose field kicking has always had a 'heart in mouth' feel to it was the most accurate shot for goal last season. 

Its also great to see Petracca ranked highly in that list and although he wasn't mentioned , I think Melksham kicked 21 goals and 6-7 behinds last season. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, deefender said:

Oscar McDonald (18,3 ,96) is a few years younger than Tom (18,9,92).

He's a big man who will take time to come to his best.

He is going to be very good - just like his brother and we should do everything possible to keep them together.

The jury is very much out on the first point and on the second point he is nothing like his brother.

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Demon Jack said:

I find it astounding that a player like Tom McDonald whose field kicking has always had a 'heart in mouth' feel to it was the most accurate shot for goal last season. 

Its also great to see Petracca ranked highly in that list and although he wasn't mentioned , I think Melksham kicked 21 goals and 6-7 behinds last season. 

Matthew Richardson was a terrific field kick and a relatively poor kick for goal (well as poor as one can be for 800+ goals and 550+ behinds). you can be good at one and not so good at the other.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Matthew Richardson was a terrific field kick and a relatively poor kick for goal (well as poor as one can be for 800+ goals and 550+ behinds). you can be good at one and not so good at the other.

Also Tom's poor kicking in the back half usually occurred when he started to "think"  - when he took first options quickly he was ok - but the longer he took and the more he held up releasing and looked and looked - well you just knew it was going to have a happy ending. Kicking at goal ? no problem  - see goal kick straight.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Deeoldfart said:

It is suggested above that Paul Connors is Tom McDonald's manager. Using the media to promote his clients is Connors' standard modus operandi. I haven't read the story, but I imagine it is just re-hashing information given to the journo by Connors. Often Connors chooses to use the implied threat (Player X is considering offers from other clubs, for example). If this story is just about dollars and does not include any threats to leave, I'm happy.  

Sign Tommy up ASAP he has continued to improve year in year out, get Oscar on board as well if he turns out to be as good as Tommy MFC will get great value from these two young men.

Go Dee's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

It is suggested above that Paul Connors is Tom McDonald's manager. Using the media to promote his clients is Connors' standard modus operandi. I haven't read the story, but I imagine it is just re-hashing information given to the journo by Connors. Often Connors chooses to use the implied threat (Player X is considering offers from other clubs, for example). If this story is just about dollars and does not include any threats to leave, I'm happy.  

I think it was my post that referred to Paul Connors...A poster was speculating that Tom had influenced the club's decision to re contract Oscar two years ago.  So I was using Connors as an example of a player manager likely to talk to clubs about their 'stable' of players at the one meeting rather than schedule separate meetings for each player. 

So to clarify, Connors isn't the McD brothers manager but I don't know who is. 

Like you, I haven't read the story and if is about $ without threats of leaving, I'm happy. 

FWIW, I think Tom will stay.

Given the discussion about Tom's manager, I tried finding out who his manager actually is. In doing so I discovered that Tom is the AFL players' representative on the AFL Players Association Agent Accreditation Board.  That suggests a high level of confidence in Tom's character and abilities by AFL players generally. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Given the discussion about Tom's manager, I tried finding out who his manager actually is. In doing so I discovered that Tom is the AFL players' representative on the AFL Players Association Agent Accreditation Board.  That suggests a high level of confidence in Tom's character and abilities by AFL players generally. 

Watch him bribe them so Oscar can get a gig. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Watch him bribe them so Oscar can get a gig. 

In the world of AFL it is called participation incentive.

4 hours ago, jnrmac said:

The jury is very much out on the first point and on the second point he is nothing like his brother.

I think it is like a 12 angry men scenario (but in reverse ie in the film it was the good guy holding out). There is one jurist holding out and refusing to acknowledge the obvious. TMacs younger brother is going to be a very good player. That is plain to see.

The jurist holding out will soon get past their confirmation bias and so the jury is due back any minute.

Nothing like his brother? Well apart from the fact they have almost identical career trajectories (even drafted at the same number), both about the same weight and height, both debuted at at a young age and are both key position defenders (until mid of last year obviously)  you're right he is nothing like his brother. As evidenced by the Player Statistics Comparison at the same age shows. Not.

Player Statistics Comparison

Oscar McDonald Name Tom McDonald
Melbourne Demons Team Melbourne Demons
Defender Position Defender, Forward
37 Career Games 126
North Ballarat Rebels Origin North Ballarat
March 18, 1996 Date of Birth September 18, 1992
21yr 11mth Age Turned 21 in 2013
196cm Height 194cm
100kg Weight 100kg
2014 National Draft Last Drafted In 2010 National Draft
Round 3, Pick #53 Last Draft Position Round 3, Pick #53
Melbourne Demons Last Drafted By Melbourne Demons
2017 Stats for Season 2013
20 Games 17
9.6 Kicks Per Game 8.3
5.8 Handballs Per Game 7.9
15.4 Disposals Per Game 16.2
5.4 Marks Per Game 4.2
0 Goals Per Game 0
0 Behinds Per Game 0.1
1.6 Tackles Per Game 2.0
0 Hitouts Per Game 0.2
0.9 Inside 50s Per Game 0.5
0 Goal Assists Per Game 0.1
0.7 Frees For Per Game 0.4
0.8 Frees Against Per Game 0.7
5.0 Contested Possessions Per Game 4.9
10.3 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 10.9
12.2 Effective Disposals Per Game 12.5
79.2% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 77.2%
2.0 Clangers Per Game 1.9
0.5 Contested Marks Per Game 0.5
0 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0
0.4 Clearances Per Game 0.3
2.7 Rebound 50s Per Game 3.9
8.0 One Percenters Per Game 7.7
0 Bounces Per Game 1.0
92.2 Time On Ground % Per Game

Edited by binman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yep, absolutely no way our list management team were blackmailed by the McDonald brothers. Laughable really. Metal does bend steel. :P

I hope we re-sign Tom for 3 years on reasonable coin, but not top dollar. I'd be giving that top coin to Oliver, Hogan and in two years time Petracca, Viney and possibly Gawn.

We'll still have to pay Salem, Brayshaw, Tyson, Hibberd, Jetta, Hunt and maybe even someone like Weideman (all being well) reasonable coin by this stage too. Hopefully Hibberd and Jetta will be vet status by then, but we're going to have trouble fitting a few guys in you would think.

Take less to stay together and build something special has to be the motto. Tom and Oscar either take it or we bring in someone else.

I think Tom will remain a one club player for what it's worth. Looking forward to seeing him lay forward this year. His goal kicking is nothing short of incredible. A guy who couldn't hit the side of a barn for all those years, now has a simple and highly efficient goal kicking technique. Amazing. 

Tom is a very durable player as well and if Jesse can stay on the park this year, we're going to kick some big scores.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, binman said:

I think it is like a 12 angry men scenario (but in reverse ie in the film it was the good guy holding out). There is one jurist holding out and refusing to acknowledge the obvious. TMacs younger brother is going to be a very good player. That is plain to see.

The jurist holding out will soon get past their confirmation bias and so the jury is due back any minute.

Nothing like his brother? Well apart from the fact they have almost identical career trajectories (even drafted at the same number), both about the same weight and height, both debuted at at a young age and are both key position defenders (until mid of last year obviously)  you're right he is nothing like his brother. As evidenced by the Player Statistics Comparison at the same age shows. Not.

Player Statistics Comparison

Oscar McDonald Name Tom McDonald
Melbourne Demons Team Melbourne Demons
Defender Position Defender, Forward
37 Career Games 126
North Ballarat Rebels Origin North Ballarat
March 18, 1996 Date of Birth September 18, 1992
21yr 11mth Age Turned 21 in 2013
196cm Height 194cm
100kg Weight 100kg
2014 National Draft Last Drafted In 2010 National Draft
Round 3, Pick #53 Last Draft Position Round 3, Pick #53
Melbourne Demons Last Drafted By Melbourne Demons
2017 Stats for Season 2013
20 Games 17
9.6 Kicks Per Game 8.3
5.8 Handballs Per Game 7.9
15.4 Disposals Per Game 16.2
5.4 Marks Per Game 4.2
0 Goals Per Game 0
0 Behinds Per Game 0.1
1.6 Tackles Per Game 2.0
0 Hitouts Per Game 0.2
0.9 Inside 50s Per Game 0.5
0 Goal Assists Per Game 0.1
0.7 Frees For Per Game 0.4
0.8 Frees Against Per Game 0.7
5.0 Contested Possessions Per Game 4.9
10.3 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 10.9
12.2 Effective Disposals Per Game 12.5
79.2% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 77.2%
2.0 Clangers Per Game 1.9
0.5 Contested Marks Per Game 0.5
0 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0
0.4 Clearances Per Game 0.3
2.7 Rebound 50s Per Game 3.9
8.0 One Percenters Per Game 7.7
0 Bounces Per Game 1.0
92.2 Time On Ground % Per Game

You can show all the stats you like. They mean nothing in this context. But if you think Oscar plays like Tom you are delusional. Not one person in the AFL would select Oscar before Tom

OMac may well become a player. I don't think he will. He is a rabbit in the headlights. But its an opinion forum and you are entitled to yours. I aren't buying it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/02/2018 at 12:41 AM, dazzledavey36 said:

Just looks a natural forward doesn't he? A lot of similarities to Josh Kennedy in terms of style.

A poor man's Nick Riewoldt, (in fact i thought he played nick well) with his big bodied running. Not the same level at marking, but definetly unflappable in terms of temprement, maybe a bit more menace) Him moving forward was end of Jack (who I love). If he kicks 40 this year then i reckon we'll have 14 wins in the bag.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jnrmac said:

You can show all the stats you like. They mean nothing in this context. But if you think Oscar plays like Tom you are delusional. Not one person in the AFL would select Oscar before Tom

If you compare T Mac of 2013 to O Mac of 2017, I think you would find not many would have selected Tom either... from memory, many on here at that time were questioning T Mac's worth.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2018 at 2:43 PM, hardtack said:

If you compare T Mac of 2013 to O Mac of 2017, I think you would find not many would have selected Tom either... from memory, many on here at that time were questioning T Mac's worth.

You know its not about stats.

T Mac more than paid his dues when he got us in the 8 against WC last year, so in my mind he's worth what he humbly wants. No squabbles here......