Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BEN BROWN

Dee tention

13 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

We're Melbourne. the oldest football club in the world. the foundation member. The club of the great Norm Smith. Of Barassi. No way in hell's fire are we going to Tassie or anywhere else for that matter.

We just so happen to be financially secure at this moment in time as a result of the sale of the Leighoak club. We don't need AFL assistance. We're in a much better place financially and on-field compared to North. They'll in a world of pain.

We badly need a home base though. 

I saw G. Pert doing a private inspection of a newly renovated home base in Arden St that might be coming on the market shortly. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, The Jackson 6 said:

I saw G. Pert doing a private inspection of a newly renovated home base in Arden St that might be coming on the market shortly. 

Maybe his work behind the scenes was to get that pocket of the city rezoned as part of the MCG precinct. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Jackson 6 said:

could be a good buy if he has heard North will have to move and the ground becomes a park...?

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 2:21 PM, Red and Blue realist said:

Gawn being used as more a ruck/CHB therefore staying as that intercepting/intimidating tall when teams try to move out of our forward 50

Pretty close to what should be happening more often, R&BR.

8 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

Im not holding any inside info but I believe it was his knee. I just find it hard to believe that suddenly they're looking to turf him out for a second rounder unless there is some serious issues. We'd be stoked to get a second rounder for Tmac would we not?  We  really do need to do due diligence here. 

Sorry if already answered/covered but I recall reading somewhere (maybe within this very thread) that there had been a bit of a falling out between North & Brown?

Tried to google what that may have been, and found this:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2020-ben-brown-dropped-after-baby-death-north-melbourne-confirm/news-story/695e04db06b018a4a3da0fc2a286c5cd

On 9/25/2020 at 10:37 AM, Witches Hat said:

Brown has wanted out for several months. Sick of the internal criticism at North regarding his physicality and courage. Most of it from a former player renowned for his hardness who now seems to have way too much influence at the club.

Is that hardness as in glass?

25 minutes ago, JTR said:

Sorry if already answered/covered but I recall reading somewhere (maybe within this very thread) that there had been a bit of a falling out between North & Brown?

Tried to google what that may have been, and found this:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2020-ben-brown-dropped-after-baby-death-north-melbourne-confirm/news-story/695e04db06b018a4a3da0fc2a286c5cd

I wasn’t aware of that sad tale. Could very easily account for a form drop, depending on the timing of events.  

1 hour ago, Better days ahead said:

We're Melbourne. the oldest football club in the world. the foundation member. The club of the great Norm Smith. Of Barassi. No way in hell's fire are we going to Tassie or anywhere else for that matter.

We just so happen to be financially secure at this moment in time as a result of the sale of the Leighoak club. We don't need AFL assistance. We're in a much better place financially and on-field compared to North. They'll in a world of pain.

Oldest Club in the world, Smith and Barassi, with respect are nothing but trivia questions. If that impresses you, well good luck, but it sure doesnt impress young fans or players

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

19 minutes ago, Half forward flank said:

Oldest Club in the world, Smith and Barassi, with respect are nothing but trivia questions. If that impresses you, well good luck, but it sure doesnt impress young fans or players

With respect you can get stuffed. It’s our history for good or ill and I’m proud of it.

You should head off down to Tassie and support your new team down there. Off with you.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

According to today’s HUN Essendrug are first in line for him. Looks the likely spot to me. The question is why after signing him to a big new contract do North want him out12 months later? 

3 minutes ago, defuture15 said:

They didn't sign him. They put an offer on the table and it was turned down.

Then everything turned to 5h1t for Ben and Nth. He is still tied to nth who have to get a return for him

Ok yes you are correct they offered and he did not take the offer. 

34 minutes ago, old dee said:

According to today’s HUN Essendrug are first in line for him. Looks the likely spot to me. The question is why after signing him to a big new contract do North want him out12 months later? 

Who does the HUN's Chief Football 'Writer' support again? ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A F said:

Who does the HUN's Chief Football 'Writer' support again? ;)

It wasn’t him, trio of Michael Warner, Jay Clark and Jon Ralph. I think they are the only ones with deep enough pockets. 

10 minutes ago, old dee said:

It wasn’t him, trio of Michael Warner, Jay Clark and Jon Ralph. I think they are the only ones with deep enough pockets. 

Let's wait and see, OD. Think you'll find we're a far better destination than Essendon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A F said:

Let's wait and see, OD. Think you'll find we're a far better destination than Essendon.

But we have to want him and I don’t think he suits our game style. We don’t seem to be able to hit a leading Weideman let alone another of the same type. And why do North want him out so badly. Something does not ring right with this one.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Brown would be suited to the Bombers. Fits their desperate need. They have $$$ and will need to catch a fish to appease their rabid feral fans.  Plus he will be another whipping boy for their whingeing

If Brown’s motivation in choosing his next club is footy related then no way he chooses Essendon. It’s a sinking ship over there.  If he does choose the bombers it’ll be for the money in which case we’re probably better off without him.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, old dee said:

But we have to want him and I don’t think he suits our game style. We don’t seem to be able to hit a leading Weideman let alone another of the same type. And why do North want him out so badly. Something does not ring right with this one.

Weideman is not a great mark at this stage. He often two grabs contested marks. North have stuffed this up and now his trade value has diminished to our benefit. 

How does a 60+ goal a year forward not suit our game style? This is another artificial barrier. Do people not want to succeed? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, old dee said:

Warner... every time I see his name I giggle. Mr Essendon ended the first day of the drugs trial 0/350. What a tool. 

34 minutes ago, old dee said:

Not only that Collingwood have said they aren't interested in Brown.  Do they know something we don't...  

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, old dee said:

When did Weid lead?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Better days ahead said:

Why if it comes with a large debt. 

I guess it depends how large the debt would be Old Dee. Nothing wrong with debt as long as we can service the interest and meet the repayments.

I haven’t seen any costings or plans so have no idea what kind of $$ are needed but we have a sum of $6m odd from the Leighoak club sale and could dispose of the Bentleigh club and tip those proceeds into the project as well.

The club appear set on the MCG precinct which I think is the right call (but will be difficult to secure). You can generate better commercial returns in a central location. I think the club has a large latent (we packed out the MCG for those 2 finals in ’18) following as well if we could just get on a run of sustained success (big if I know). 

And I wouldn’t be in favour of unsustainable debt levels. Any debt has to be sensible and manageable.

5 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

I'm not advocating this as a strategy but surely it's just a case of staying one step ahead of the two worst financially viable clubs at any given time. All of the most recent expansion clubs are being propped up with AFL money and I can't foresee a time where any other major city could could accommodate a third club. If the AFL have no appetite to expand the competition and the broadcasters want nine games each week then that would leave us with two existing clubs relocating to Tasmania and possibly the NT or Canberra. 

Just wanna put my two cents in on a loosely related subject..... I stopped watching footy for about 15 years when I left Aus. When I turned back on, Carlton and Essendon were crap, the Hawks were still winning and there were two new clubs -- one in the western suburbs of Sydney, FFS, and the other in some cocaine resort town south of Brisbane. Could not believe it.

Then the thought crossed my mind... in a country of only 25 million, only two thirds of which play the sport, isn't that at least two teams too many? The talent is spread thin, IMHO. Just imagine how much better the league would be if all the talent gone to Suns and GWS was spread about.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1