WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - STEVEN MAY

DemonLad5

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

What do people think Collingwood will get if they trade Moore?

The level of that pick could be a key determinant for what we have to offer GCS given the Pies are after May.

If Moore goes to Sydney they'll ask for their first pick which will be pick 13, I'd guess they might bundle that with their 1st round next year and hope GC accept (if May nominates them). 

I wouldn't be surprised if our offer would be something similar -  the lower pick we get for Hogan, if he leaves, plus next years 1st for May and KK. Assuming we get picks 5/6 and 10 or 11 (seems to be the talk after Freo deal with Brissy & Port), we'd give pick 11 and a 1st next year which if we finish in the same position, actually works out to around pick 3 in points value (I know points value means little especially to us, but might help appease GC if we get May). I actually hope we don't get May, but that's just my thoughts. 

• Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

If Moore goes to Sydney they'll ask for their first pick which will be pick 13, I'd guess they might bundle that with their 1st round next year and hope GC accept (if May nominates them). 

I wouldn't be surprised if our offer would be something similar -  the lower pick we get for Hogan, if he leaves, plus next years 1st for May and KK. Assuming we get picks 5/6 and 10 or 11 (seems to be the talk after Freo deal with Brissy & Port), we'd give pick 11 and a 1st next year which if we finish in the same position, actually works out to around pick 3 in points value (I know points value means little especially to us, but might help appease GC if we get May). I actually hope we don't get May, but that's just my thoughts. 

I'd be asking the Suns take Jay Lockhart from the State League players list and include him in the trade. Assuming Jay has nominated for the Draft previously.

15 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I doubt we would offer 2 first rounders, maybe pick 10 and a second rounder for May and KK

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

I doubt we would offer 2 first rounders, maybe pick 10 and a second rounder for May and KK

I just think GC will want an early first round (pick 5/6/7) rather than something after pick 10 as their starting point. As I said I hope we don't give up anything for him, but surely unless GC get a great offer they'd just hang onto him for 12 months and take the free agency comp which will be very likely to be in the top couple of picks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I just think GC will want an early first round (pick 5/6/7) rather than something after pick 10 as their starting point. As I said I hope we don't give up anything for him, but surely unless GC get a great offer they'd just hang onto him for 12 months and take the free agency comp which will be very likely to be in the top couple of picks. 

Best case scenario for mine would be, GC hold onto may, we get pick 6 and 10 and get two victorian boys. Then get may for free next year. I trust lever and Omac/Frost to be good enough if the rest of the team show up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

Best case scenario for mine would be, GC hold onto may, we get pick 6 and 10 and get two victorian boys. Then get may for free next year. I trust lever and Omac/Frost to be good enough if the rest of the team show up. 

I completely agree, I can see OMac taking another huge step forward over the pre-season and the whole defense going to another level with Lever back. At the same stage of their careers OMac and May are tracking very similar, and going into year 5 was when May really elevated his game, so happy to wait and not pay/trade next year if he's still of interest. 

One of the things we have to get used to is that our first round picks aren't worth that much any more.

When we say 'first rounder', that includes everything from pick 1 (insanely valuable) to about pick 20 (not that valuable).

So two first rounders can be significantly less than the value of a single first round pick (19+20 is the equivalent of pick 5). 

So when we talk about 'first rounders', we probably need to be more specific with our language now.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

One of the things we have to get used to is that our first round picks aren't worth that much any more.

When we say 'first rounder', that includes everything from pick 1 (insanely valuable) to about pick 20 (not that valuable).

So two first rounders can be significantly less than the value of a single first round pick (19+20 is the equivalent of pick 5). 

So when we talk about 'first rounders', we probably need to be more specific with our language now.

i feel like everyone has been very specific when talking about picks...

16 minutes ago, ManDee said:

If May were to stand out of the game for a year would GCS get anything from head office? 

They'd get free agent compensation the next year. He'd also get no cash. I doubt that will happen. Easier for him to go through the motions, get paid whatever it is he's currently getting paid and then find an injury around mid year like Lynch did. 

Or he might end up playing forward similar to Frawley.

I think the Suns are willing to trade. I also think May would be lucky to get a contract big enough to trigger more than a mid first round compensation pick next year unless the AFL are very generous - and they've given the Suns enough this year that they don't need to be.

I'm confident Pick 10 will do it.

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2018 at 9:15 AM, jane02 said:

I have it on good authority that our coach and one of our senior players had drinks/dinner with May last night.

Was that to check just how much of what he eats?

But seriously IF our coaching panel believe that they can get him fully committed and fit then he could be a great asset.  It could however mean that Frost, McDonald or Keilty may look for greener pastures 

6 hours ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

Only issue with that is speed against small line ups, i.e. richmond. Frost adds versatility, and with May and Lever being good kicks, frost would be the only poor kick in the backline. I think we are too slow with Omac, May and Lever

May is quicker than Jayden Hunt over 30 m. Don't believe me? Watch the 2017 grand final sprint.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

Only issue with that is speed against small line ups, i.e. richmond. Frost adds versatility, and with May and Lever being good kicks, frost would be the only poor kick in the backline. I think we are too slow with Omac, May and Lever

Omac, Lever and May would be plenty fast enough for bigs.

People keep referencing the WC back line. None of Barass, McGovern or Hiurn are quick.

Posters are also using the performance of the WC as evidence of our need to improve our backline. But whilst they were super important the critical issue was that won the contested ball all match and put huge pressure on the entry kick from the pies - which made it really hard to kick to their forwards advantage (unlike the previous week where GWS put very little pressure on in the first half allowing the pies to give De Goey and Cox silver service).

We failed to put that sort of pressure on WC (our worst tackling performance for a decade and by far our lowest pressure  game for the season, not to mention the massive contested ball differential) and did not spread to stop their uncontested marking and quick ball transition. So it was absolutely no surprise their forwards killed our back six wit the delivery. That was the casue. The forwards domination was the symptom. And the opposite was true for WC on Sat.

That said i'm all for getting May but as Frosty is the weak link. Not least because his kicking is so unreliable, he can make bad decisions and one on one he is often out read. there were a few examples of both in the Hawks and WC games. Those weaknesses are not balanced out by his pace and run.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, binman said:

People keep referencing the WC back line. None of Barass, McGovern or Hiurn are quick.

Posters are also using the performance of the WC as evidence of our need to improve our backline. But whilst they were super important the critical issue was that won the contested ball all match and put huge pressure on the entry kick from the pies - which made it really hard to kick to their forwards advantage (unlike the previous week where GWS put very little pressure on in the first half allowing the pies to give De Goey and Cox silver service).

We failed to put that sort of pressure on WC (our worst tackling performance for a decade and by far our lowest pressure  game for the season, not to mention the massive contested ball differential) and did not spread to stop their uncontested marking and quick ball transition. So it was absolutely no surprise their forwards killed our back six wit the delivery. That was the casue. The forwards domination was the symptom. And the opposite was true for WC on Sat.

That said i'm all for getting May but as Frosty is the weak link. Not least because his kicking is so unreliable, he can make bad decisions and one on one he is often out read. there were a few examples of both in the Hawks and WC games. Those weaknesses are not balanced out by his pace and run.

lever and may would be plenty fast enough, yes.. but not young concrete boots o-mac! ohhhhh concrete boots, when will you buy boots that aren't so full of concrete?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

33 minutes ago, binman said:

All three are faster than McDonald who is slow.

That's just a fact.

Hurn is actually quite fleet of foot and Barass and McGovern have a quick first few steps and quick reaction time. Which is why they both intercept so well.

Oscar is both slow on the run and has slow reaction time.

Not that I'm potting him. He had an okay year.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

All three are faster than McDonald who is slow.

That's just a fact.

Hurn is actually quite fleet of foot and Barass and McGovern have a quick first few steps and quick reaction time. Which is why they both intercept so well.

Oscar is both slow on the run and has slow reaction time.

Not that I'm potting him. He had an okay year.

Agree is slow on the run. His biggest weakness.

Disagree he has a slow reaction time. He is also makes good snap decisions with his disposals, suggesting he is fast of mind.  

Agree he had a good year.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

On 9/30/2018 at 10:56 AM, faultydet said:

Tell him that to his face.

Isn't that how it goes with you Saty?

Once on our list you will be fawning all over him. 

I want a flag, and May provides a better way to get there.

If he comes to the Dees, he can get a framed photo of May flipping him off to put next to his one of Tommy Mac.