Welcome to Demonland: Jake Lever

Who are the actual, genuine gorillas?

Tex Walker, Ben Brown, Lynch, Patton maybe....  any more?

Do we really need a player to specifically try and counter three or four players in the league, or should we get someone that would be better for the other 20 or so games of the season? And maybe just try and develop a better way of playing against the gorilla types with what we have, on the few occasions we face them?

We had no ruckman of note for a big chunk of this season, and as it turned out it wasn't the end of the world. We found a way.

Edited by JTR
spelling
  • Like 3

We play a zone defence; we're not likely to recruit a gorilla tamer - I don't think it would suit the game plan as it stands

If are are able to get Lever plus hold onto Frost and the Macs, our defence will be built around closing down space and interception

I think if we are fortunate enough to get Lever we are ensuring that T Mac will play forward on a more permanent basis, but he can be thrown back if required

So the backline will be formed out of three 'bigs' in Lever, Frost, and O Mac, then the interception and rebound of Jetta, Hibberd and Hunt (plus Lever who also adds excellent rebound kicking to his defensive responsibilities) plus the rotation of Vince, Lewis, Jones, ANB and I think probably Brayshaw and I am seriously excited about our defence

It's more about what we have to give up from the midfield / forward structure that will see how our game plan is effected with the addition of Lever

It's why I am totally unopposed to giving up 17 and 18 first round picks - ideally getting something 'back' from Adelaide (say, 2018 second round pick) 

I am REALLY excited about the idea of getting Lever, But not sure why this thread isn't just part of the general Lever discussion...

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, JTR said:

Do we really need a player to specifically try and counter three or four players in the league, or should we get someone that would be better for the other 20 or so games of the season? And maybe just try and develop a better way of playing against the gorilla types with what we have, on the few occasions we face them?

We had no ruckman of note for a big chunk of this season, and as it turned out it wasn't the end of the world. We found a way.

Brown's no gorilla - he has no jump on him and he rarely wins a contested mark in a stationary, one on one situation.  He is just an absolute gun at reading the ball and his leading patters are brilliant.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, kurtneverdied said:

I'd defiantly give up a first round pick a seconder rounder and a fringe player max. Lever is that bloody good though that he would give us certainty in the use of those picks and of course a ready made young gun back with 10 plus years to come. Yes please!

Max is surely not a fringe player ??

• Haha 1

Agree with JTR. 

Gone are the days where you draft a Mal Michael-sized full back. The game requires more from key position players now and big guys are more and more agile, athletic and fast. So the same needs to be said for key defenders. 

They need versatility. And Lever has that in spades. Watch highlights of him on YouTube and you'll see how good he is.

If anything, Oscar will be closer to the "gorilla" type that posters seem to long for.  He just needs to continue to put weight on to match it physically with the big guys. Getting Lever will also relieve Oscar from having to do things that he can't which clearly he is having to try and do at the moment. 

Lever would solve so many problems. I don't even know where to begin.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

I think the way the game is played with zones you're almost happy to go in undersized because any long kick to that big full forward becomes dangerous. If they don't make it guys like hunt and hibberd are able to move it very quickly back the other way and we can score. 

Lever is an unbelievable reader of the game and will really add to this area. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JTR said:

Perhaps the best way to 'neutralize' a gorilla forward is to just have your own one. TMAC has come on in that department, but Max will also start to come forward when he gets his match fitness and confidence up and bag 2 a week at some point in the future when Hogan holds position. 

47 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Brown's no gorilla - he has no jump on him and he rarely wins a contested mark in a stationary, one on one situation.  He is just an absolute gun at reading the ball and his leading patters are brilliant.  

Ben Brown, Daniher & Hipwood fall squarely in the hyperactive Giraffe category me thinks.

Edited by DominatrixTyson
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Abe said:

Tyson won't leave melbourne, we won't trade him. 

Even if they offered a straight swap

I agree - Tyson is Scott Thompson mk 2.

We won't be losing that player to the Crows (again).

That said, we need to get Lever. And that won't be free of some pain.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, juzzk1d said:

Why?

Everyone is suggesting we trade 1st rounder + ANB for Lever. If the roles were reversed, and the Crows were offering a 1st rounder + a player of ANB's caliber for Oliver would we take it?

Of course not. People need to take off their rose coloured glasses and start coming up with realistic trade options. Lever is a future captain, AA defender. Someone like Tyson is an accumulator with hardly any damaging disposals. It's a matter of need over want. 

Lever has had 1 good year. Future AA and captain are all unknowns. No club has ever offered more than a 1st round and late pick for a player like lever. 

• Like 2

David King has lost his marbles!  He suggests we trade Jesse for Lever!! 

Don't know why some media folk make such complete fools of themselves!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/media-watch-the-move-that-could-help-the-dees-land-jake-lever-the-mcg-tells-smokers-to-jog-on/news-story/fe0078efb26fcb8e45a222ce0ab7595c

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 1

King was obviously drunk when he talked about it.  When you could get it done for a first round pick, you get it done for a first round pick.

Plus with everything Jesse has been through, there is no chance we trade him.  The kid has 10 years of footy ahead of him and he is only going to be better.

Edit - @Lucifer's Hero, I wonder how you would go if you were banned from either posting a link or have a post with italics in it.  You wouldn't know what to do with yourself! ;)

Edited by Wiseblood

1 hour ago, bandicoot said:

Lever has had 1 good year. Future AA and captain are all unknowns. No club has ever offered more than a 1st round and late pick for a player like lever. 

I can't understand these sorts of statements. 

If he were a Melbourne player would you think otherwise? What were you thinking Viney or Hogan would become after their first years? What about Selwood after his first year? There's generally a reason football media people, team-mates, past players etc predict these things early on. 

Lever is the full package. Personality traits, football ability, physical attributes. He possesses all the building blocks to become the player he is predicted to become. Just like those others I've mentioned. And the reason you pay overs sometimes is to land someone of that quality.

Keep in mind he was pick 14 in his draft year. A year in which he didn't play a single game because of a knee reco. He was a talked as a potential number 1 pick before he did his knee.

In an injury interrupted second year of football, he will potentially make the 40 man AA squad as a key defender. I'd say that's a fairly good indication that with a full pre-season and injury free season he will be an AA defender soon enough.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

It's why I am totally unopposed to giving up 17 and 18 first round picks - ideally getting something 'back' from Adelaide (say, 2018 second round pick) 

I am REALLY excited about the idea of getting Lever, But not sure why this thread isn't just part of the general Lever discussion...

That's a lot of picks to give up.not sure he's worth that many......?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1