dazzledavey36

Clarence Oliver

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

Interview with Clarry coming up on Triple M for those near a radio.

Anything good?

6 minutes ago, brendan said:

Anything good?

Missed the second half of it. He talked about junior footballer and lead up to the draft. Was hoping to get selected as a rookie by Richmond 3 weeks out from the draft. Then Brisbane showed interest and he thought he'd go pick 30s to them. Then a week out from draft Melbourne showed real interest and he got drafted pick4 and was wrapped.

Said he still needs to improve his fitness and the defensive side of his game. That's what coaches have told him going forward. Was a very outside player until he was about 16 and got OP. Couldn't play footy for a year, stacked on 20kgs, came back and had to learn to play inside because he couldn't move much. Worked out for the best as he loves the contest and stoppages. 

Was talking down his standing in the footy award rating for The Age, Coaches Association etc and is just happy he's been able to get over a poor preseason where he didn't commit with his conditioning and made some poor choices.

Didnt head the second part of the interview but jeez we have landed an absolute ripper in Clarry. Credit to Jason Taylor and his team for taking the risk as it's paying off big time.

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 17

That pretty much sums up the whole interview. Second part they asked about Hogan, Brayshaw had heard that he's travelling beautifully and might be back for Queens Bday clash, Clarry hadn't heard anything. He lived with Gus and his family for his first year, now lives with Trenners and AVB, his girlfriend Sophie does a fair amount of cooking for the boys. That's about it.

Thanks for the interview write up, sounds like he's got his head screwed on right. Has recognised he didn't put in a good enough pre-season and is trying make up for it now (how will he be when he DOES do a good pre-season!?), amazing story going from expecting a rookie spot to being taken pick 4. Most top 5 draftees would be already penciling themselves in at potential suitors a fair distance out from the draft, and he was hoping for a rookie spot!

Top pick up Taylor!

• Like 3

They just showed who they think are the best young talent in the comp On The Couch, Hipwood, Curnow, Burton etc...

No mention of Clarry. 

Even Shai Bolton had the handball of the round according to David King. 

NFI. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Deestroy All said:

They just showed who they think are the best young talent in the comp On The Couch, Hipwood, Curnow, Burton etc...

No mention of Clarry. 

NFI. 

does healy have spray tans?

• Like 1

No mention of Clarry. 

NFI. 

Apart from the fact the David King is a goose of the highest order, I think people forget Oliver is a 2nd year player with only a handful of games under his belt.

His performances are measured against the best talent in the comp not the best young talent and he's standing up pretty well.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 8

No mention of Clarry. 

NFI. 

can I re tweet this?

• Like 1

No mention of Clarry. 

NFI. 

Have a listen to the replay again.

If Dermott was voting, Oliver would be holding every award possible at this point. He cannot stop raving about him.

Derm has more of a clue than most re Clarry.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, faultydet said:

can I re tweet this?

Sure.

• Like 1

Two things. The look on Melksham's face. Where the hell did that come from? And then, who the hell is it going to?

Just let Clarry go along quietly because the less attention the better and therefore more games we win and not such heavy tagging in MHO....

Said on another thread - 21 contested possessions on the weekend, 11 clearances, and seven of those in the centre (as well as a few of the standard super-human head-shakers). In 71% ToG. He's racking up these numbers in less than 3 qtrs of a game. Yet the kid barely got a mention in the Demonland votes. We've become very complacent very quickly re. Clayton's contributions, and that is full credit to him. No one has put up the same figures week in week out for the MFC ever, and yet we still know he's capable of more and hold him to that standard. After 23 games. Astonishing.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, willmoy said:

Two things. The look on Melksham's face. Where the hell did that come from? And then, who the hell is it going to?

Just let Clarry go along quietly because the less attention the better and therefore more games we win and not such heavy tagging in MHO....

Trouble is opposition coaches don't rely on the media for their intel...

With a $9.5 mill Football Department spend, opposition scouting and video analysis...

They're well aware of what Oliver can do & have been since day one.

No one slips under the radar.

He also spoke about playing at the murray bushrangers and never heard of the skin fold tests and when he was tested it had to be under 50 and he was no where near that. 

Said Mccartney sat him down and spoke to him about his diet and said have a look how viney, salem and a couple of others prepare. 

Also said how the coach is a pretty calm person. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Skuit said:

Said on another thread - 21 contested possessions on the weekend, 11 clearances, and seven of those in the centre (as well as a few of the standard super-human head-shakers). In 71% ToG. He's racking up these numbers in less than 3 qtrs of a game. Yet the kid barely got a mention in the Demonland votes. We've become very complacent very quickly re. Clayton's contributions, and that is full credit to him. No one has put up the same figures week in week out for the MFC ever, and yet we still know he's capable of more and hold him to that standard. After 23 games. Astonishing.

You have to wonder what Melbourne supporters are watching or how they're processing football.

Oliver got votes from BOTH coaches and yet many Dees supporters couldn't find him in their best 6 players.  They must spend their time working out how to defend the McDonalds.

But is it that surprising ?  Jack Watts gets excused for years and years and years and years of putrid performances, yet Jesse Hogan, a young superstar, isn't rated and is often lambasted by the same posters. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ding said:

Credit to ANB in this play as well.

Obviously Gingerfreak gave an incredible handball on his non-preferred, from a pack situation, and STILL managed to hit a team-mate on the run............But it also took quick thinking from ANB to understand it was even a possibility. A few others might well have been sucked into the pack, but ANB kept moving.

Im really warming to the lad. 

To be honest I reckon ANB was expecting a kick, but I agree all the same. Watching "all the goals", ANB was instrumental in a number of them. I know not everyone loves stats but he lead the team for goal assists and equal second for inside 50s. He was a key link in the chain.

Probably never going to be much more than a decent foot soldier, but he has been good for a lot of the year.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Danelska said:

Geez, we have a superstar and he's not going at the rate of knots that a 24 yo may be as a 19yo - FMD peoples need for instantaneous brilliance is remarkable. He's played 23 games... this stuff will come. 

Holy [censored] did you read the rest of the post or get so in a huff after the first paragraph that you just had to slam your keyboard an reply. 

Every player on our list has areas to improve and Clarry is no different. I didn't say he couldnt improve them nor did I say he wasn't good enough for his age. 

I was pointing out that his handball game is something you could never teach, you can teach him to kick more and get it more uncontested but only the special talents can hit that handball 

17 minutes ago, Watt Kent? said:

Holy [censored] did you read the rest of the post or get so in a huff after the first paragraph that you just had to slam your keyboard an reply. 

Every player on our list has areas to improve and Clarry is no different. I didn't say he couldnt improve them nor did I say he wasn't good enough for his age. 

I was pointing out that his handball game is something you could never teach, you can teach him to kick more and get it more uncontested but only the special talents can hit that handball 

'Like'

Mmmm, maybe it was a keyboard slam... the eyebrows were raised for sure! The problem of forums sometimes is things are easily misconstrued. Certainly read like you were having a crack... But what you have just said is clear as...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skuit said:

I think the head explosions over Oliver not being in everyone's votes were a bit OTT.

Of course you could mount a case for him being in the best 5 or 6 players. Similarly though I thought the likes of Harmes and Hannan, the lesser lights, deserved some recognition for the role they played in the win. Hannan especially has been a tremendous pick up and is playing his role well.

Then you have Melksham who I am not a fan of but played his best game for e club so far by a street. That deserves recognition.

After that you're left with Jones, Garlett and Hibberd. All excellent on the day.

Oliver will probably win it at this rate. It's not as though he's not polling well. And I think the vast majority of Melbounre supporters are well aware of the talent he possesses and how lucky we are to have him.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2017 at 10:32 PM, Deestroy All said:

I love that ANB is even calling for the 20m handball over the pack. Yeah no worries, here you go. 

On Oliver's left hand too.

4 hours ago, dees189227 said:

He also spoke about playing at the murray bushrangers and never heard of the skin fold tests and when he was tested it had to be under 50 and he was no where near that. 

Said Mccartney sat him down and spoke to him about his diet and said have a look how viney, salem and a couple of others prepare. 

Also said how the coach is a pretty calm person. 

His skin fold test at the Bushies was over 90.

30 minutes ago, Danelska said:

'Like'

Mmmm, maybe it was a keyboard slam... the eyebrows were raised for sure! The problem of forums sometimes is things are easily misconstrued. Certainly read like you were having a crack... But what you have just said is clear as...

All good mate, was mostly pointing out that while people want to (rightly) point out where he can improve they miss the special things he is doing 21 games into his career. 

I love Jayden Hunt and Jack Viney, but they will never ever be able to do that. Oliver needs to balance his game out a little bit more but the vision to hit that handball is just on another level 

13 hours ago, Deestroy All said:

No mention of Clarry. 

NFI. 

I honestly think its because Oliver is no longer seen as a new young talent.  he is in Brownlow consideration!  

I would say he is too obvious to bring up on the show

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DubDee said:

I honestly think its because Oliver is no longer seen as a new young talent.  he is in Brownlow consideration!  

I would say he is too obvious to bring up on the show

Gotta give the lesser lights a mention....

• Like 1