Best 22 for Round 1, 2017

I expect we'd be looking at a developing tall defender in the draft, or maybe someone like Xavier Richards. Regardless, I'd be trying Hulett as a key defender.

I expect we'd be looking at a developing tall defender in the draft, or maybe someone like Xavier Richards. Regardless, I'd be trying Hulett as a key defender.

I think Stretch is no certainty for a start game....needs to become a lot more consistent IMO.

Agree re Hulett , I think he could make a CHB ..or at least a good back up..

Jetta Frost TMac

M/sham O Mac Hibberd

Hunt Lewis B/shaw

P/traca Hogan Kent 

Garlett Weiderman Watts 

Gawn Viney Jones 

Tyson  Oliver Vince Salem are my 22.

Edited by jayceebee31
Added

And just four years ago (likely), feeling buoyant about the season ahead . . .

Byrnes         Dawes             Davey

Blease         Clark               Howe

Barry          Jones              Sylvia

Trengove       Jamar              Viney

Garland        Frawley          Grimes

J.MacDonald      Dunn             Sellar

Rodan  McKenzie  Tapscott  Toumpas

Edited by Skuit
  • Like 2

Since it seems we are playing Saints at Etihad Round one, I would hope we bring a running side such as the following:

B:     Jetta         O Mac        Frost

HB:   Hunt         T Mac        Hibberd

C:      Stretch     Lewis         Tyson

HF:    Petracca  Hogan       Kent

F:      Garlett       Watts        Brayshaw

R:      Gawn        Viney        Jones

Int:    Melksham    Vince     Oliver    Harmes

I think we still need to play 3 tall defenders as Reiwoldt & Membrey cut us up last time so we need flexibility.

Frost & Watts to alternate as back up ruck.

Stretch, Hunt & Melksham will give us speed from half back & on the wings.

I would also contemplate leaving out Harmes for Kennedy but I guess it depends on form.

I'll go early and say Oliver BOG with 30 touches and a goal!

Edited by Is Dom Is Good

Etihad = You need a running side 

B: Jetta - O.McDonald - Frost

HB: Hibberd - T.McDonald - Hunt

C: Stretch - Lewis - Melksham

HF: Petracca - Hogan - Kent

FF: Garlett - Pederson - Watts

FOLL: Gawn - Viney - Jones

INT: Brayshaw - Tyson - Salem - Vince

EMG : Oliver - Harmes - Weideman

Oliver unlucky but for the team balance he misses out 

Frost on McCartin, O.Mac on Bruce, T.Mac on Reiwoldt, Hibberd on Membrey 

Edited by DemonLad5

The thing about Lewis, Hibberd and potentially Melksham coming into the side is it ramps up pressure on spots in the best 22 to the highest it's been in a long time.

Bugg, Ben Ken, Harmes, Wagner, Pederson, Salem, JKH, ANB, Vandenberg, Hulett and Trengove are Casey starters at the moment.

Weidemann, Brayshaw, Oliver, Stretch and Petracca all need to improve to hold their spots.

Vince, Garlett and others can't afford a drop off in form.

Pre-season should be full-on. I'm hoping players like JKH, Wagner, Hulett, Weidemann and Harmes really come on in the pre-season and push up for spots. If Harmes and Salem (both young in the head) knuckle down, get their bodies right and get fair dinkum they have a lot of upside.

I also hope we see a bigger stronger quicker Oscar Mac and Oliver and Brayshaw start to impose themselves in the middle.

If we all get on the same page and work towards a common goal anything is possible.

• Like 1

Etihad = You need a running side 

B: Jetta - O.McDonald - Frost

HB: Hibberd - T.McDonald - Hunt

C: Stretch - Lewis - Melksham

HF: Petracca - Hogan - Kent

FF: Garlett - Pederson - Watts

FOLL: Gawn - Viney - Jones

INT: Brayshaw - Tyson - Salem - Vince

EMG : Oliver - Harmes - Weideman

Oliver unlucky but for the team balance he misses out 

Frost on McCartin, O.Mac on Bruce, T.Mac on Reiwoldt, Hibberd on Membrey 

Brayshaw over Oliver? Laughable.

B: Jetta, TMac, Melksham
HB: Hunt, OMac, Hibberd
C: Vince, Petracca, Jones
HF: Watts, Hogan, Lewis
F: Garlett, Weideman, Kent
FOL: Gawn, Tyson, Viney
IC: Frost, Brayshaw, Stretch, Oliver

Love Salem, but he would be 23rd player and needs to win back a spot for mine.

• Like 1

B: Jetta, TMac, Melksham
HB: Hunt, OMac, Hibberd
C: Vince, Petracca, Jones
HF: Watts, Hogan, Lewis
F: Garlett, Weideman, Kent
FOL: Gawn, Tyson, Viney
IC: Frost, Brayshaw, Stretch, Oliver

Love Salem, but he would be 23rd player and needs to win back a spot for mine.

Agree Stuie

That team looks about right to me 

longer term maybe Smith gets a go at half forward /pocket if Kent struggles for impact

I am hoping Wiederman puts on 8 - 10 kgs this year and can play a stronger role using his smarts

• Like 1

Apparently, Salem needs to win back a spot, even though he was our best player in the last game we played; while Melksham doesn't need to win back the spot he never had.

Thankfully, Salem has 5 months to win said spot and funnily enough, Melksham has 5 moths to win a spot too.

• Like 5

Apparently, Salem needs to win back a spot, even though he was our best player in the last game we played; while Melksham doesn't need to win back the spot he never had.

Thankfully, Salem has 5 months to win said spot and funnily enough, Melksham has 5 moths to win a spot too.

Apparently "ProDee" still reads my posts even though he goes around telling everyone how he's blocked me and never reads what I post...

Agree Stuie

That team looks about right to me 

longer term maybe Smith gets a go at half forward /pocket if Kent struggles for impact

I am hoping Wiederman puts on 8 - 10 kgs this year and can play a stronger role using his smarts

I can see Smith cracking some games next year for sure. I feel like he might be a bit of a HB, Howe-type though rather than a forward, but that's just me.

B:      NJetta         T.McDonald     S.Frost
HB:   J.Hunt          O.McDonald    M.Hibberd
C:      J.Lewis          D.Tyson       B.Stretch
HF:    D.Kent          J.Watts          B.Vince
F:      C.Petracca   J.Hogan         J.Garlett
FOL:   M.Gawn      J.Viney          N.Jones
IC:     C.Salem       A.Brayshaw   C.Oliver  A.Vandenberg 

Emergencies -   J.Harmes    C.Pedersen    T.Bugg

Frost and Watts can pinch hit in the ruck, so no need for Pedders, and I doubt Weed will be ready just yet.

Need a running team vs the Saints at Etihad.

Edited by Petraccattack

I like Vince forward. I'd have Lewis, Vince, Petracca, Brayshaw and Tyson rotating through mid/forward.

Yeah, reckon Bernie can finish his playing career as a very good defensive half forward

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1

Not sure why people, including afl.com.au, has Weideman a lock for best 22.

He's very young and needs to grow into his position, and his body.

He's 18 months away from being in our best 22 IMO.

Pedo fills that gap for the next 18 months.

Edited by GawnWithTheWind

Not sure why people, including afl.com.au, has Weideman a lock for best 22.

He's very young and needs to grow into his position, and his body.

He's 18 months away from being in our best 22 IMO.

Pedo fills that gap for the next 18 months.

I think we all agree with that, but like they did with Oscar, I have no doubt Weideman will play 15+ games to hasten his development. 

I also have little doubt he'll play more games than Pedersen, therefore when I name a best 22 I'll have Weideman in the team and not Pedersen.

• Like 3

Difficult to choose, especially the last 3 or 4, but I think Stretch will be there. He ran out of steam late in the season (wasn't Robinson Crusoe), but across the middle of the year he was very good, especially given his youth. 

I don't disagree with some of the teams leaving him out, but I'd be surprised if all those players are available every round.

• Like 2