Garry Lyon

poita

52 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Lyon was a fantastic footballer for MFC albeit his career was curtailed by injury. 

He has a high degree of self confidence and values his own opinion but he's not as good as he thinks he is.  His foray's into footy since his retirement have been disastrous.

Great footballer, ordinary bloke.  Anybody who knocks off the ex wife of a clearly distressed best friend doesn't have a high level of empathy but does have a high level of self interest.

Oh and junior, there is a reason he was never on the Board but I can't say why here. Needless to say it wouldn't have been through lack of desire.

Such as?

BB, you strike me as a bloke who seems to get his jollies off with the off-field happenings at a club. And you're happy to character assassinate people who have clearly rubbed you up the wrong way, and hide behind the old line "I can't say why here". If you can't support a statement then don't make the statement in the first place. It just leads to innuendo.

Edited by mo64

28 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

there is discussion in the press that the "relationship" may have been going on for 4 years i.e. when both still with partners

whether that is a fact or not i do not know, but if true it would paint a different picture

slobbo in today's hun also comes to brownless's defense and has a lot of bitter-sweet things to say about gary. needless to say it is a typical rambling, all-over-place article that leads one to believe it was written (like many of his pieces) in the pub. I won't link the web version because it seems to be a lot shorter than the print version. maybe it has got redacted

The media has such high standards that the four year old affair must be true!

Brownless needs to stop trying to control his ex wife's life by dictating who she can or can't not see. She is now single and can see anyone she wants to.

The classic statement from Billy was he was not aware of his marriage issue until his wife left him. From this statement alone it is easy to work out who was number one in his life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DemonFrog said:

The media has such high standards that the four year old affair must be true!

Brownless needs to stop trying to control his ex wife's life by dictating who she can or can't not see. She is now single and can see anyone she wants to.

The classic statement from Billy was he was not aware of his marriage issue until his wife left him. From this statement alone it is easy to work out who was number one in his life.

if you know so much, df, you should be a journo :lol:

Just now, daisycutter said:

if you know so much, df, you should be a journo :lol:

You your the one commenting on an alleged 4 years affair.

I could not leave your comments unanswered.

The only people who should care about this relationship is Garry and Nicky.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DemonFrog said:

you will note that i said i didn't know if it was true or not. but shoot the messenger if you like

i mentioned it only because it was already in the press and it was contrary to posters saying both participants were unattached at the time

i haven't drawn any judgements whether it was just recent or over 4 years, except to say it would paint a different picture

as far as "commenting" goes your post seemed to make quite a few judgements which led me to think you must know a lot of the details

6 minutes ago, DemonFrog said:

True to a degree. But;

• If the reports are true Billy has been betrayed by his wife and best mate, he has every right to be angry
  • If they wish to be together then that comes at the cost of their friendship with Billy, they can chose one but not both
  • Billy being angry and cutting himself off from them is not controlling, it is Billy feeling rightly aggrieved and looking out for himself and his well being.
  • Billy's comment about not seeing the end coming is not an uncommon one in marriage breakdowns, usually from men.

You are right in that it is no ones business if they are together but you can't claim people close to it have to be happy about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mo64 said:

BB, you strike me as a bloke who seems to get his jollies off with the off-field happenings at a club.

Jollies!  You've got to be joking.  Like many here I've been a very long time supporter, I've helped the club as I could both financially and with time and I've never asked for anything in return.  There are no jollies in seeing the inept management and decision making that has gone on.  Seeing Schwab and his Board hopelessly flawed in their management and seeing blokes like Lyon fiddling where they had no right to - "I'll have to ring my mate Jimmy" after the 186 thrashing which was largely caused by a bitterly divided club who had their head in the sand and didn't understand their roles.

They are not "jollies" mo.  They are the painful reminders of where we came from and Lyon played a starring role.  And then we have someone suggesting he should be made an assistant coach. Some never learn.

Give me a break.  Lyon was a fantastic footballer for this club and he has given his time at functions and the such.  But he's also meddled in affairs that were none of his business and while I will acknowledge his contribution on the one hand I'll recognize his failures on the other. 

• Like 5

Its sad state of affairs that story has got so much media time, I mean really who gives a toss? It's gossip not news, and as gossip goes not particularly interesting. The news seems to be that GL is a dog for deigning to have a relationship with a mates ex partner. Geez Louise.

And as this excellent article points out there has been precious little consideration of how wither of the women involved (or their children) might be feeling. Bro's not hoes as Clementine Ford puts it: 

http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/dl-opinion/what-footys-outrage-double-standard-reveals-about-attitudes-to-women-20160215-gmuma2.html

The story though has given me one good laugh. An news.com articel that talked about Slobbo's anger Channel 9 had shown care to GL and none to Billy (who apparently loves a frothy according to Slobbo, the wives not mentioned of course) described him as Australia's most respected football journalist. Seriously. Now that's funny.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, binman said:

Its sad state of affairs that story has got so much media time, I mean really who gives a toss? It's gossip not news, and as gossip goes not particularly interesting. The news seems to be that GL is a dog for deigning to have a relationship with a mates ex partner. Geez Louise.

And as this excellent article points out there has been precious little consideration of how wither of the women involved (or their children) might be feeling. Bro's not hoes as Clementine Ford puts it: 

http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/dl-opinion/what-footys-outrage-double-standard-reveals-about-attitudes-to-women-20160215-gmuma2.html

The story though has given me one good laugh. An news.com articel that talked about Slobbo's anger Channel 9 had shown care to GL and none to Billy (who apparently loves a frothy according to Slobbo, the wives not mentioned of course) described him as Australia's most respected football journalist. Seriously. Now that's funny.

Great article. Those who are saying that what GL did is a "dog act" are actually denigrating Nicky Brownless and her capacity to make choices as a single woman.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, binman said:

Lol beat me to it. 

Its an excellent article indeed and shes hit the nail on the head.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Lol beat me to it. 

Its an excellent article indeed and shes hit the nail on the head.

When I was at school there was an English subject called "Clear Thinking".  We had to analyse articles like this and evaluate them.

To me this is an emotive article that misses the point. The story was originally about the split of Garry and Billy as best mates because of Garry's affair.  The story was about this split, not the affair.  It's obviously moved on but if Billy was "ok" with the affair I doubt we'd have heard about it and if we did it would be a little bit of "titillation" to those that heard about it.  The story would not have got as much traction as Garry may not have stood down his media commitments. 

Clearly people have moved on but they were only able to move on because of Billy's initial reaction and that was the starting point.

Anyway if you've got a distressed mate I'm not sure many would think Garry did the right thing.  It's not about peoples "right" to do things, it's about what's "right" to do for a best mate in trouble.  Big fail for Garry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, special robert said:

Alright if you insist on having a rational discussion about this I will have to come up to your level.......Brownless is separated.........Lyon the same......their partners...the same............so there is nothing to discuss......they are free to do whatever.

Where is BBO when you need him?

Yet here you are discussing it...

You may as well say that anybody is free to do anything they like within the law.

Why do you think he found the need to keep this relationship secret from his friend ?

Edited by ProDee

4 hours ago, america de cali said:

Same for you. Read The Age. I won't bother to link it for you.

You can't point to one direct quote from Lyon or Brownless in relation to this.

1 minute ago, Baghdad Bob said:

When I was at school there was an English subject called "Clear Thinking".  We had to analyse articles like this and evaluate them.

To me this is an emotive article that misses the point. The story was originally about the split of Garry and Billy as best mates because of Garry's affair.  The story was about this split, not the affair.  It's obviously moved on but if Billy was "ok" with the affair I doubt we'd have heard about it and if we did it would be a little bit of "titillation" to those that heard about it.  The story would not have got as much traction as Garry may not have stood down his media commitments. 

Clearly people have moved on but they were only able to move on because of Billy's initial reaction and that was the starting point.

Anyway if you've got a distressed mate I'm not sure many would think Garry did the right thing.  It's not about peoples "right" to do things, it's about what's "right" to do for a best mate in trouble.  Big fail for Garry.

Have to agree 'Bob'...

I thought this article was very poorly written and not even to the standard of a lot of forum posts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mo64 said:

And that's the blokey bloke mentality that the article mentions. What if Lyon witnessed 1st hand Brownless' appalling treatment of his wife? Does he just condone it because of the blokey "best mate" tag?

what the hell are you talking about? talk about rumour mongering and now you are making judgements about "what ifs"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Good grief.  People are now linking that vile creature Clementine Ford.

I thought it was a decent article to be honest, and highlighted hypocrisy well.

Just like the hypocrisy here with you and WJ, where you can label a female journalist as "vile", yet the alleged behavior, treachery and lies of an ex-footballer are ignored, and posters of this forum are encouraged not to discuss because, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, it is a private matter.

Pathetic hypocrisy.  Even Mark Yobbo Yobinson can see it.  You don't have to be intellectually adequate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TGR said:

Just like the hypocrisy here with you and WJ, where you can label a female journalist as "vile", yet the alleged behavior, treachery and lies of an ex-footballer are ignored, and posters of this forum are encouraged not to discuss because, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, it is a private matter.

Pathetic hypocrisy.  Even Mark Yobbo Yobinson can see it.  You don't have to be intellectually adequate.

Explain to me what is hypocritical about me calling that vile Clementine Ford vile ?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

what the hell are you talking about? talk about rumour mongering and now you are making judgements about "what ifs"

Just pointing out that the "blokey" mentality is to side with best mate regardless of the situation, ignoring the fact that Lyon would have been a close friend of Nicky Brownless for a long time.

1 minute ago, mo64 said:

Just pointing out that the "blokey" mentality is to side with best mate regardless of the situation, ignoring the fact that Lyon would have been a close friend of Nicky Brownless for a long time.

funny way to do that by making up a what-if about "brownless's appalling behaviour to his wife" . uncalled for comment