Training - Friday 29th January, 2016

Whispering_Jack

I have no idea why but I'm at Casey Fields with a few other spectators watching Melbourne training in drizzling rain. 

The boys seem to be in good spirits and the voices are loud. I can see Dawsey and Spencil running laps and there's a small rehab group including Jack Trengove (at least someone who resembles him wearing #9) and, all the way from the Republic of Congo, the one and only Heritier Lumumba who is just walking around at the moment but previously was doing some running.

There's a fairly large group doing normal training - Christian Salem looks fantastic. I'm predicting a big season for him based on 10 minutes of watching him running around in the wet.

• Like 23

10 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I have no idea why but I'm at Casey Fields with a few other spectators watching Melbourne training in drizzling rain. 

The boys seem to be in good spirits and the voices are loud. I can see Dawsey and Spencil running laps and there's a small rehab group including Jack Trengove (at least someone who resembles him wearing #9) and, all the way from the Republic of Congo, the one and only Heritier Lumumba who is just walking around at the moment but previously was doing some running.

There's a fairly large group doing normal training - Christian Salem looks fantastic. I'm predicting a big season for him based on 10 minutes of watching him running around in the wet.

Love to hear how our boy Oliver goes in the rough conditions out that way. Looks built for it.

18 minutes ago, stuie said:

Love to hear how our boy Oliver goes in the rough conditions out that way. Looks built for it.

Yep, he's definitely good for wet conditions. On the little I've seen of him so far, he's a real competitive beast. 

Talking of of competitive beasts, Jesse Hogan is looking strong as a mallee bull.

• Like 14

WJ, if they do any full/half ground drills could you please identify who we are getting the ball to across half back, obviously there will be the usual suspects but I'm curious to see if anyone else is in the mix.

cheers in advance.

6 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

WJ, if they do any full/half ground drills could you please identify who we are getting the ball to across half back, obviously there will be the usual suspects but I'm curious to see if anyone else is in the mix.

cheers in advance.

They divided the group into three and had some match simulation before I left but with the smaller groups and different set up, I didn't identify what you're looking for.

The photograph's ordinary but it will give an insight into how dark and dreary things were at the ground.

training2016.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

They divided the group into three and had some match simulation before I left but with the smaller groups and different set up, I didn't identify what you're looking for.

All good, appreciate your efforts.

KEEP TRAINING IN THE WET.

Carey in his last book mentioned how it was a cornerstone of his development. When ever it rained growing up his older brother would take him out on the oval and they would spend up to 8 hours training in the wet. till it was too dark.

if you could master that, handling a dry ball was so much easier.

and I remember watching him in the wet he would dominate, and still not drop the ball when most would.

Let it rain !!

• Like 12

The 45 minutes in a car each way probably doesn't make them happy but I'm sure the players enjoy training on an oval with close proximity to a toilet.

Were Tyson, Brayshaw and Frost back in full training?

Any Petracca sightings? He wasn't wearing his moon boot in his instagram pic yesterday. It's getting close to the 4 weeks off legs.

1 hour ago, Bay Riffin said:

KEEP TRAINING IN THE WET.

Carey in his last book mentioned how it was a cornerstone of his development. When ever it rained growing up his older brother would take him out on the oval and they would spend up to 8 hours training in the wet. till it was too dark.

if you could master that, handling a dry ball was so much easier.

and I remember watching him in the wet he would dominate, and still not drop the ball when most would.

Let it rain !!

While i dont doubt Carey would have trained hard in the wet but 8 hours straight? Spare me seriously.. the guy is known to talk [censored] and this is one of them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

While i dont doubt Carey would have trained hard in the wet but 8 hours straight? Spare me seriously.. the guy is known to talk [censored] and this is one of them.

Carey was the best player ever for a reason. I wouldn't doubt him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgiou R.R. Martin said:

The 45 minutes in a car each way probably doesn't make them happy but I'm sure the players enjoy training on an oval with close proximity to a toilet.

Were Tyson, Brayshaw and Frost back in full training?

Any Petracca sightings? He wasn't wearing his moon boot in his instagram pic yesterday. It's getting close to the 4 weeks off legs.

Tyson, Brayshaw and Frost were all in full training. Frost was doing some goal kicking practice at one stage and was spraying them a bit but it was wet underfoot.

Petracca and Newton came out at one stage wearing hoodies and no moon boots. They just walked around a few laps wearing runners.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Tyson, Brayshaw and Frost were all in full training. Frost was doing some goal kicking practice at one stage and was spraying them a bit but it was wet underfoot.

Petracca and Newton came out at one stage wearing hoodies and no moon boots. They just walked around a few laps wearing runners.

Further proof that Frost is a backman.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Further proof that Frost is a backman.

True, lets have him and t-mac spraying the ball to opposition players out of our backline?

That said, im in the develop him as an athletic forward/second ruck whilst we have the spot in our list up for grabs and he can be a possile long term player in this position. He can play in the backline as it is the position that often suits athletic big men, with questionable skills. But his attriubtes can be used as strengths at both end of the ground, so whilst he is our most viable option for 2nd ruck we should use him there.

Dunn and T-Mac will keep him out of our backline and i'm happy for him to use his speed to get behind opponents and run towards goal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doctor evil said:

Went to training Oliver has trimmed right up .not to sure about picking him time will tell .watts joked around wish he would look more serious no wonder we struggle for leaders when ppl like him [censored] around all day

Yikes Dr Evil, your name don't lie! Fresh on the boards with a couple of pretty critical posts... you're gonna find it tough going in these parts with that kind of banter.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Given the nature of Frosties recent injury  what was his general field kicking like ? Is it just that hes not up to speed  with "by the boot " or was just poor accuracy ? cheers

26 minutes ago, Doctor evil said:

Went to training Oliver has trimmed right up .not to sure about picking him time will tell .watts joked around wish he would look more serious no wonder we struggle for leaders when ppl like him [censored] around all day

Oh shitz yeah don't smile or

laugh at work!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, robbo24 said:

Carey was the best player ever for a reason. I wouldn't doubt him

Well theres your first mistake.

Like i said of course he would have put in the hard yards but to say he trained 8 hours straight is a complete [censored]

And yes i have read his book and half of it is full of crap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Cheers. Good stuff, all important players to be back in the main group. 

Hopefully Petracca can start running in the next week or so as that would give him a month in some form of training to hopefully get him fit for the 2nd NAB challenge game on March 6th, or a VFL game on the same weekend which is probably the cut off for playing round 1.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yeh no kidding, he played as if he'd trained in the wet for 12 hours...

Could be Oliver is dammed if he puts on weight and dammed if he doesn't....

Watts is a happy boy and why wouldn't he be, talented, good looking and playing for MFC...

• Like 6