WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CLAYTON OLIVER

Freddy Fuschia

Yes Bandicoot I understand that as overall there are more teams in Victoria, but I am just making the point that some of those AFL players only have fitness over the VFL, SANFL & WAFL players.

Whilst I thinks it's great Oli performed well in the VFL the biggest plus for me is the fact he has realised very early the sacrifices required to make it at the next level.

Full time conditioning staff and dieticians has me looking at him with a great deal of anticipation

He only actually realised the sacrifices over the past 12 months. Most potential draftees realise it at least 3-4 years beforehand.

In 2014, Oliver was "tubby" according to a few teammates at the Bushrangers. If you consider how far he has come in a short time of "discipline over indulgence" (Lyonism), the upside you see might actually be higher.

• Like 2

Spoke to a mate in recruiting. His opinion:

Oliver Wouldn't have made it past 5

Will likely be an exceptional talent (better than Wines)

The dees will have an amazing inside midfield in the next few years.

Weideman needs time to get his body right.

King and to a lesser extent Huwlet - Speculative

Wagner, skilled but slow

Edited by hells bells
  • Like 12

Spoke to a mate in recruiting. His opinion:

Oliver Wouldn't have made it past 5

Will likely be an exceptional talent (better than Wines)

The dees will have an amazing inside midfield in the next few years.

Weideman needs time to get his body right.

King and to a lesser extent Huwlet - Speculative

Wagner, skilled but slow

Sounds good enough to me. The media love a good story about Oliver being a bolter when I'm sure the consensus recruiting opinion would've had him top 10.

We know Weideman will take a while, that's why we got him now so we have time. If you get 1 sure thing key forward ie. Hogan you've done well, there's no way we'd be lucky enough to find another. Even number 1 picks like McCartin and Boyd aren't sure things, same with the Dixon trade to Port that gave GC then us the pick that eventually was traded up to get Wedieman.

No problems with speculative talls in this draft given the lack of depth and given our list needs. Maybe a shame no one slipped to our 3rd pick but in a few years we might be pretty happy we took the talls and gave them time.

I'd prefer skilled but slow than fast but no skills. We need speed but probably need skill more. The Hawks have never had a great deal speed from half back but have always loaded up on skills and reading the play and hence they are so adept at intercepting and rebounding. They have a heap of speed on the wing and half forward lines and that should be our focus for future drafts.

• Like 1

I'd prefer skilled but slow than fast but no skills. We need speed but probably need skill more. The Hawks have never had a great deal speed from half back but have always loaded up on skills and reading the play and hence they are so adept at intercepting and rebounding. They have a heap of speed on the wing and half forward lines and that should be our focus for future drafts.

This I believe is correct and what makes them quick. Pulling the trigger, kicking to position, quick thinking effective ball users/receivers sets them apart. Yes they have a couple of quick players, but the whole team works hard both ways, and they have confidence in one another that they'll win their fair share of ball and work off the ball to create havoc to space.

• Like 2

Totally agree.

People have to understand the kid had OP earlier in the season. Add to the fact the Bushies only train once a week.

The kid took it upon himself to get the best out of himself - post season - before Combine. He achieved it. It shows his character and his determination. On top of his finish to the season in TAC Cup.

PS. Make sure you hold onto that sig. That's gold.

Colin Sylvia had OP...........

.........for about 10 years................

It's not just the six tackles per game, it's the fact they're brutal, you see when jack viney or gus brayshaw hit someone, they take a bit to get up, Oliver rattles the opposition, not someone anyone wants

Oliver, Jones, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Trengove, all love a hard tackle, bring on 2016

Edited by dino rover

Totally agree.

People have to understand the kid had OP earlier in the season. Add to the fact the Bushies only train once a week.

The kid took it upon himself to get the best out of himself - post season - before Combine. He achieved it. It shows his character and his determination. On top of his finish to the season in TAC Cup.

PS. Make sure you hold onto that sig. That's gold.

Dedication, hard work, country boy - Tom McDonald-like focus?

• Like 1

Sounds good enough to me. The media love a good story about Oliver being a bolter when I'm sure the consensus recruiting opinion would've had him top 10.

We know Weideman will take a while, that's why we got him now so we have time. If you get 1 sure thing key forward ie. Hogan you've done well, there's no way we'd be lucky enough to find another. Even number 1 picks like McCartin and Boyd aren't sure things, same with the Dixon trade to Port that gave GC then us the pick that eventually was traded up to get Wedieman.

No problems with speculative talls in this draft given the lack of depth and given our list needs. Maybe a shame no one slipped to our 3rd pick but in a few years we might be pretty happy we took the talls and gave them time.

This I believe is correct and what makes them quick. Pulling the trigger, kicking to position, quick thinking effective ball users/receivers sets them apart. Yes they have a couple of quick players, but the whole team works hard both ways, and they have confidence in one another that they'll win their fair share of ball and work off the ball to create havoc to space.

Must have been in another thread where there was discussion re leg speed vs thought and execution speed.

I would far prefer a quick thinking quick executing player than one with leg speed who can't deliver or panics.

Diesel Williams or Sam Blease anyone?

• Like 1

It's not just the six tackles per game, it's the fact they're brutal, you see when jack viney or gus brayshaw hit someone, they take a bit to get up, Oliver rattles the opposition, not someone anyone wants

Oliver, Jones, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Trengove, all love a hard tackle, bring on 2016

Plus Vanders!

Haven't read many of the posts on this thread, but this year's draft selections have left me quite uninspired. Not sure why, maybe the talk of it being a shallow draft, and in Oliver's case, that he was deemed a bolter by some people.

To be honest, I think I'm just over frothing about high draft picks, and just want us to bloody win games of footy. I work with Hawthorn and Geelong supporters - for the past decade they have no idea who their teams have drafted, their real season starts in the following March, and generally concludes late September. It's generally the only time they take interest in footy. We have become far to obsessed with the silly season that takes place at draft time.

I know it's not as black and white as that, but I can't help feeling a bit "Meh" about our picks this year.

Sorry!

• Like 2

Haven't read many of the posts on this thread, but this year's draft selections have left me quite uninspired. Not sure why, maybe the talk of it being a shallow draft, and in Oliver's case, that he was deemed a bolter by some people.

To be honest, I think I'm just over frothing about high draft picks, and just want us to bloody win games of footy. I work with Hawthorn and Geelong supporters - for the past decade they have no idea who their teams have drafted, their real season starts in the following March, and generally concludes late September. It's generally the only time they take interest in footy. We have become far to obsessed with the silly season that takes place at draft time.

I know it's not as black and white as that, but I can't help feeling a bit "Meh" about our picks this year.

Sorry!

Oh Billy, Billy boy.. When are you going to find, whatever it is that you are looking for..

• Like 3

Oh Billy, Billy boy.. When are you going to find, whatever it is that you are looking for..

As Billy said, the win/loss column at the end of the season is all that matters. The preseason hype of our draftees, based on brief highlights packages, is over the top.

• Like 1

As Billy said, the win/loss column at the end of the season is all that matters. The preseason hype of our draftees, based on brief highlights packages, is over the top.

Nah mate, they're all going to be champions of the game. A few Charlie's and AA honours in that lot...

• Like 1

Sorry!

Here's a tip Billy, Hawthorn and Geelong see action in September because of what they did in November many years ago.

• Like 9

Here's a tip Billy, Hawthorn and Geelong see action in September because of what they did in November many years ago.

Yep Cats built their list on the drafts of 99 & 01 and the Hawks built there's off 01 & 04. Absolutely nail 2 or 3 drafts with 7 or 8 core players and some bookends and you set yourselves up very well

• Like 6

On 12/1/2015, 11:46:22, Pennant St Dee said:

Yep Cats built their list on the drafts of 99 & 01 and the Hawks built there's off 01 & 04.  Absolutely nail 2 or 3 drafts with 7 or 8 core players and some bookends and you set yourselves up very well  

Often-missed is the 2006 draft; Selwood & Hawkins.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎29‎:‎41‎, Clint Bizkit said:

Haven't read many of the posts on this thread, but this year's draft selections have left me quite uninspired.  Not sure why, maybe the talk of it being a shallow draft, and in Oliver's case, that he was deemed a bolter by some people.

To be honest, I think I'm just over frothing about high draft picks, and just want us to bloody win games of footy.  I work with Hawthorn and Geelong supporters - for the past decade they have no idea who their teams have drafted, their real season starts in the following March, and generally concludes late September.  It's generally the only time they take interest in footy.  We have become far to obsessed with the silly season that takes place at draft time.

Sorry!

I know that Clint.  I'm hoping that what we did in November of 2012/13/14 is what will cause our premiership tilt.  The fact that some are STILL interested in our drafting is basically admitting we still have that "saviour" mentality.

We should have enough young talent on our list by now (prior to this year's draft) to be looking not too distant in the future for success.  That said, the FD obviously believe that we still needed top end talent from this year's draft before we can stop relying on the pointy end of the draft.  This is proven by trading our 1st round pick from next year away.

Perhaps next year others will stop obsessing about our draft picks.

• Like 2

I suspect the crowd will stop obsessing about draft picks once:

a) we play some finals so we have other things to get excited about

b) we play finals so we don't have a top 10 pick (less exciting than pick 3)

c) we have 25+ regular senior players who everyone thinks are better options for round 1 than an untried 17 year old who gets drafted (will be accelerated if the 17 year old is ranked 10-15 rather than 1-7)

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, deanox said:

I suspect the crowd will stop obsessing about draft picks once:

c) we have 25+ regular senior players who everyone thinks are better options for round 1 than an untried 17 year old who gets drafted (will be accelerated if the 17 year old is ranked 10-15 rather than 1-7)

This is absolutely it - You look at the Hawks last year - they wanted big seasons from Roughhead, Mitchell, Lewis, Rioli. Our expectation rose and fell on the back of a 20 year old forward who was in his first year of football. 

• Like 7

It is good to read that "the saviour" tag from one or two draftees has been reduced from the last five years.

With quality recruiting and a handful or genuine talented youngsters, we are not relying on Watts or Scully and Trengove to get us up the ladder. It takes a decent rotation of 12 midfielders, coming from half forward and half back and the bench to be competitive.

Looking at the players today and the pressure is shared, no longer on Watts' head and shared between a few. Salem, Viney, VB, Gus, Petracca, Oli, Bugg, that is half our rotation delivered in less than 3 years. Watts, Jones, The awesome Bernie Vince, Kent, Tyson, they have the older heads and will lead these guys. Add the mid age recruits and it makes it more plausible and hopeful.

It was hot out there today and breaking a sweat was par for the course, even for those not running!

• Like 1