WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - SAM WEIDEMAN

xman97

And didn't Watts start his career at 75-80kg?

Jack Watts 2008 draft.

Height:196cm

Weight: 85kg

Position: Key Forward

Team: Sandringham Dragons

Jack got up to 91kgs a few years ago but stripped off some weight to play mid/wing.

SAm looks to attack at the ball in the air or looks in control in marking contests. Time will tell if he is better then Ben Griffiths.

• Like 1

To my way of thinking I reckon Weideman going to D's could have been a prearranged strategy in that this bloke has in one stroke alleviated a ton of pressure

from himself, his family and the football public.

The pressure on this bloke to perform would have been, behind the scenes, extraordinary, and I extend to everyone connected with this decision

in football's extended family that he's probably now got a good chance of being a quite successful player in the AFL and with Melbourne.

Collingwood's first pick was #32! No chance they were ever getting anywhere near the Weed

• Like 1

He needs a year at Casey to significantly build his size? Ok, as it currently stands...

Hogan: 195cm 97kg

Weideman: 196cm 94kg

Watts: 196cm 88kg

And I agree he needs to work on his motor but on that note it'd be interesting to find out what 2015 Dawes can do in a beep test. Anyone know?

He's actually a pretty big boy.

I was looking through all the sizes of the guys on the MFC app and Sam is 2cm taller and 1kg bigger then Sam Frost and He's a man mountain.

Give him a pre season on an AFL program and he should put on another couple more KGs,

CP5 weighs the same but is 10cm shorter then him, what a tank!!

Edited by ILLDieADemon

His actually a pretty big boy.

I was look through all the sizes of the guys on the MFC app and Sam is 2cm taller and 1kg bigger then Sam Frost and His a man mountain.

Give him a pre season on an AFL program and he should put on another couple more KGs,

CP5 weighs the same but is 10cm shorter then him, what a tank!!

It's "he's".

• Like 10

Spoke to a colleague at work who is good mates with a guy within the coaching/management team at Eastern Ranges and his mate had seen Tom Boyd and Jon Patton come through and thought that Sam Weideman was easily the best talent of the 3 and that once over the injuries would be an absolute gun.

• Like 11

Spoke to a colleague at work who is good mates with a guy within the coaching/management team at Eastern Ranges and his mate had seen Tom Boyd and Jon Patton come through and thought that Sam Weideman was easily the best talent of the 3 and that once over the injuries would be an absolute gun.

That's the only concern for me, really.

• Like 1

Seems the biggest query is on his tank which would make sense considering his ankle issues. Get the ankles right then work on his stamina over the next 12-18 months and I've got a good feeling about this kid.

The other thing to keep in mind is that he won't be the number one option in our forward line as long as Hogan's around which will give him greater capacity to exploit defenses once he gets his aerobic capacity up and gets more strength and muscle definition.

It's a recent phenomenon.

Not only can I discuss topics of interest with other MFC fans but I also learn how to use English grammar the right way.

Thanks Demonlanders

Edited by ILLDieADemon
  • Like 2

Not only can I discuss topics of interest with other MFC fans but I also learn how to use English grammar the right way.

Thanks Demonlanders

I don't wish to seem unkind, but some of us are truly (truely is another one) staggered that so many younger people use "his" instead of "he's". It's embarrassing.

• Like 3

Seems the biggest query is on his tank which would make sense considering his ankle issues. Get the ankles right then work on his stamina over the next 12-18 months and I've got a good feeling about this kid.

The other thing to keep in mind is that he won't be the number one option in our forward line as long as Hogan's around which will give him greater capacity to exploit defenses once he gets his aerobic capacity up and gets more strength and muscle definition.

Pippen and Jordan like.

If your contributions are illiterate then they have less value. If your aim is to communicate use the language correctly, if not put up with being corrected.

Use English or suffer the consequences. Just sayin!

*just sayin'!

i didn't join demonland to get spelling and grammar lessons from people that make mistakes in their own posts.. it's a freaking footy forum, relax guys!

let's get back to talking weideman!

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 2

*just sayin'!

i didn't join demonland to get spelling and grammar lessons from people that make mistakes in their own posts.. it's a freaking footy forum, relax guys!

That was put there just for you. Irony is lost on some.

This comment from Roos sums up the NEW Melbourne being built :

“There are some non-negotiables now for kids coming in. You give yourself a better chance if you are a competitor,’’ he said.

A team full of competitors WILL compete.. How did we not see this over the years :rolleyes:

• Like 3

This comment from Roos sums up the NEW Melbourne being built :

“There are some non-negotiables now for kids coming in. You give yourself a better chance if you are a competitor,’’ he said.

A team full of competitors WILL compete.. How did we not see this over the years :rolleyes:

Every person in the club from the President to the water boy knows Watts isn't a competitor. The fact that Roos keeps using the term just reinforces why Tiptoes will hardly get a game next year.

• Like 2

Having heard this week that Grandpa Weideman and our Barassi are great mates reminds me of the 50 year GF celebration the players had at the Bentleigh Club last year.

When the GF players were on the stage reminiscing I recall one (Brian Dixon, maybe) saying the GF he remembers the most was the one we lost in 1958!!

The players are still livid about that.

So I would love to be a fly on the wall when Grandpa Weideman and Barassi get together for a few beers!

If you get a chance, do yourself a favour and watch the first quarter of the AFL Academy vs Northern Blues match from the beginning of the year. Wiedeman plays at CHF and is the dominant big man of the ground, taking 5 marks and kicking 2 goals. He could probably have grabbed another one or two with better delivery.

What stands out is that he marks the ball in a range of ways; he's not just a lead and mark player or a body on body player. Instead, he took marks leading straight up at the kicker, marks bending his lead to space, jumping over the top of players, in a one-on-one push and shove, and pushing back hard into an opponent to mark in front. It makes it much more difficult to defend because you can't just play him one way, but you have to protect a range of options.

He'll need to build up his running significantly, but he was supposedly in the top couple of runners at Eastern a few years ago, so I suspect he has at least some natural endurance to him. But if he can get his running up then he could be very dangerous with Hogan, because they are both players who can beat you in a number of different ways. Both players will need a multi-talented key defender to look after them.

• Like 5

If you get a chance, do yourself a favour and watch the first quarter of the AFL Academy vs Northern Blues match from the beginning of the year. Wiedeman plays at CHF and is the dominant big man of the ground, taking 5 marks and kicking 2 goals. He could probably have grabbed another one or two with better delivery.

What stands out is that he marks the ball in a range of ways; he's not just a lead and mark player or a body on body player. Instead, he took marks leading straight up at the kicker, marks bending his lead to space, jumping over the top of players, in a one-on-one push and shove, and pushing back hard into an opponent to mark in front. It makes it much more difficult to defend because you can't just play him one way, but you have to protect a range of options.

He'll need to build up his running significantly, but he was supposedly in the top couple of runners at Eastern a few years ago, so I suspect he has at least some natural endurance to him. But if he can get his running up then he could be very dangerous with Hogan, because they are both players who can beat you in a number of different ways. Both players will need a multi-talented key defender to look after them.

thanks A of B , a good watch

hell he's got a longer run in that Lillee !!