Taking stock

DubDee

The thing I take pleasure from is the performance of the newbies. They are consistently amongst our best players and are above expectations. That to me says that the current recruiting and coaching/development is strong.

It would also suggest that Roos is right when he says the older players are struggling to let go of bad habits.

I can see us winning 6 - 8 games which would be a reasonable outcome and give hope for next year.

• Like 3

I think everyone expecting these better results is basing that on us having a change around of form though. Not saying it won't happen, but it's unrealistic to expect 5 or more further wins given our current form.

For me, getting Frost and Kent back, as well as a more ready Viney, is the key to us having a chance of turning our form around.

I'd add Tyson and Jetta to Viney. Got to get our better mids working well - Tyson, NJones, Viney..... and an imaginary ruckman.

• Like 1

okay ...trying to stay positive despite reading the last 2 pages:

i reckon at our stage in development, starting from waaaaay back, we are not near good enough for the top 4-5 teams (no [censored] sherlock).

however we are beating middle tier teams and we will hopefully beat teams 'below' us. The pies on monday and St Kilda next sunday will give us a big indicator of where we are at and if I am crazy in thinking we could win 6 more games

Not playing the elite teams will give us the opportunity to gain some consistency, can we take the opportunity!?

I'd add Tyson and Jetta to Viney. Got to get our better mids working well - Tyson, NJones, Viney..... and an imaginary ruckman.

On this year's form I'd put Tyson and Jetta a level below Kent, Frost, and Viney as far as importance goes.

Plus, jetta is already back and Tyson will be back Monday.

Jones summed up where we're at today with

"Our best footy is really good, and I reckon we've showed that in games and in patches of games," Jones said on Wednesday.

"But the difference between our best and worst is still too great."

Unlike last year we actually have a "best footy"!

...and it's been good enough to have use beat most of the other bottom 8 teams we've played in Doggies, Tigers and Suns.

Unfortunately we also have a big gap between our best and worst which is exposed when quality tems (i.e. top 4) play us.

I think we are on track to be top of the bottom 8 which is a big improvement and puts us on target to further consolidate and close the best - worst gap in 2016.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1

Ok, seriously, people need to stop just assuming we're going to win 6-8 games. Things will need to change for that to happen, and that change is a given.

Bookmark it. I've been saying it for weeks now. We will win our 6-8 games.

On this year's form I'd put Tyson and Jetta a level below Kent, Frost, and Viney as far as importance goes.

Plus, jetta is already back and Tyson will be back Monday.

Frost has good potential - is quick, big but not sure he's that important to us yet

played 3 games, avg 8 touches, 2 tackles. wouldnt have surprised me if he was dropped before he got injured

• Like 1

I'm not saying we won't win that many. I just don't think we will unless we turn around our form substantially.

We turn our form around substantially every week...

• Like 7

I'm not saying we won't win that many. I just don't think we will unless we turn around our form substantially.

how do you think our form line will go and how many games do you think we will win?

Jones summed up where we're at today with

"Our best footy is really good, and I reckon we've showed that in games and in patches of games," Jones said on Wednesday.

"But the difference between our best and worst is still too great."

Unlike last year we actually have a "best footy"!

...and it's been good enough to have use beat most of the other bottom 8 teams we've played in Doggies, Tigers and Suns.

Unfortunately we also have a big gap between our best and worst which is exposed when quality tems (i.e. top 4) play us.

I think we are on track to be top of the bottom 8 which is a big improvement and puts us on target to further consolidate and close the best - worst gap in 2016.

Agreed mate.

Frost has good potential - is quick, big but not sure he's that important to us yet

played 3 games, avg 8 touches, 2 tackles. wouldnt have surprised me if he was dropped before he got injured

Errrrrrr did you watch those games? Clearly if you are simply quoting his stats and you thought he was going to be dropped then you weren't.

how do you think our form line will go and how many games do you think we will win?

I can't even guess with this team, and that's the problem.

We just seem to pick and choose when we want to give effort.

Errrrrrr did you watch those games? Clearly if you are simply quoting his stats and you thought he was going to be dropped then you weren't.

For me, at this stage, Frost has some handy versatility, but he's not in the bracket of Viney, Jetta or Tyson IMO.

Our form will turn around because we'll be playing middle of the road teams. On the evidence of this season so far, we're strong and combative against theae teams and we've won all those games, with the exception of Adelaide. Had we kicked straight against Adelaide, we would have won or gone very close. I was at that game and we won the uncontested and contested possessions, and had the same amount of scoring shots (in fact, they had a shot on the siren).

Edited by AdamFarr

Our form will turn around because we'll be playing middle of the road teams. On the evidence of this season so far, we're strong and combative against theae teams and we've won all those games, with the exception of Adelaide. Had we kicked straight against Adelaide, we would have won or gone very close. I was at that game and we won the uncontested and contested possessions, and had the same amount of scoring shots (in fact, they had a shot on the siren).

We won't be remotely near favourites in at least our next 5 games, and will be lucky to win 1 of them.

We are nowhere near being a decent team, so to talk down other teams is getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

We won't be remotely near favourites in at least our next 5 games, and will be lucky to win 1 of them.

We are nowhere near being a decent team, so to talk down other teams is getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

we weren't favourites against GC, Tiges or Dogs either. Luckily we dont pay any mind to that

• Like 1

A come back win from being well behind is never a fluke unless that team is playing the MFC

Comeback wins only happen through sheer hard work beating opponents time after time.

Maintaining the workrate through the fatigue pain barrier

I think you misinterpreted what I meant. For a start, come backs against us don't require a fluke. They require exactly what you said.

I am saying that a comeback by us is what is needed to regain confidence - once our players know they can do it they won't fold when they get behind like they do now. But sadly I'm saying it will take some series of flukes for us to get that first comeback (since we don't seem to do it the normal way). But fluke goals do lead to momentum changes quite often, so I'm still hoping.

I tend to agree stuie the next five are

St Kilda 50/ 50

Geelong No hope

WCE No Hope

Essendon 50/50 If we play to our best and they continue their recent form.

Lions Good Chance

If we get two wins we will be on track to 6 - 8 IMO

I disagree.

You cannot say we have improved 100% onfield when 5 years after 186 we are allowing sides to still kick 16 goals to 2 against us.

This is why the MFC is where it is & other clubs can bottom out and win a flag in 5 years

We haven't moved and that is the reality.

You can say we've improved when you look at our win against the Doggies. You can't just pick and choose games to suit your point.