Open Mike: Todd Viney

Grapeviney

I don't think its ok either, but unlike you, I'll leave it to the mods. Whatever......

Looking forward to hearing from Todd Viney on Open Mike as I think he is a straight talker and will have some great stories of his playing days. Some interesting characters at the club during his time.

Hypocrisy anyone?

Edit: I have had the misfortune to read two of Demonic Faves three posts. In both he called a d/lander a mofo. Yes I hope the mods do something.

Edited by ManDee

1st round draft picks can become busts 'nb' ...in fact, more than half of all 1st round draft picks have become busts.

If I can find the time, I'll list them all one day.

Equally, there are just as many top players who have been picked outside of the first round

It's a bad system

All the more reason as stated before forget about selections and trade picks especially early ones for ready made players

All the more reason as stated before forget about selections and trade picks especially early ones for ready made players

I wouldn't necessarily do that either.

Quite happy to take chances in the draft when applicable but I accept the consequences of those chances that are taken

Boom or bust

Pick 3 for Brayshaw ... happy with that (so far)

Hogan in the mini draft ... excellent result (again, so far)

Hypocrisy anyone?

Edit: I have had the misfortune to read two of Demonic Faves three posts. In both he called a d/lander a mofo. Yes I hope the mods do something.

Mate, I tried to get back on topic. Why don't you give it a go for once?

FWIW, I'd like to hear Todd talk about the lead up to the merger game against Hawthorn. I remember going and thinking it was full of emotion and tension.

We need a show called "Open Slather" where we can get all the recruiters in a room and question every decision they make. It will be great TV and will make us all feel that bit better.

I would watch that one, much better viewing than what I'm told the footy show is...

I'm not sure whether we would feel better of bitter???

I want to know why

You really don't want to know why as the answer is and always has been right in front of you but you simply refuse to accept it. At the time of the draft with all that was known it did not look like a bad decision but now we know every bit of expert opinion was absolutely wrong.

As Macca has said - it is a flawed system but I fail to understand why you are so flummoxed as to why we took Toumpas.

Here is Emma Quayle pre draft

4 MELBOURNE

JIMMY TOUMPAS

(Woodville-West Torrens. 18, 182cm, 78kg)

Goal kicking wingman who likes to run.

THE RATIONALE: Toumpas is a class act; a humble, hard-working player able to cut teams up with his skill and scoring ability. He’s just what the Dees need.

THE COMPLICATION: Melbourne has been watching Ollie Wines, a diligent, competitive onballer for a long time. He’d be a good choice here too.

Paige Cardona had us taking Wines at 4 but GWS taking Toumpas at 2.

• Like 2

Th only downside of Open Mic is that often he gets players that have so many levels of memories and opinions that inevitably things get left out. Given what Todd went through during the Balme years with the potential merger, the fact that when he joined us as a kid we were just getting into premiership contention, being the captain during the rejuvenation of the club under Daniher (also the fact that Neale's battling such a terrible disease), recruiting and even coaching the club, and now watching his son play and starting to show potential as a future gun. I would be shocked if there's time to get a question about Wines in there, and to be honest it's the question I'd be least interested in.

• Like 1

I wouldn't necessarily do that either.

Quite happy to take chances in the draft when applicable but I accept the consequences of those chances that are taken

Boom or bust

The only good thing about ready made players is you somewhat know what you are getting.

I like a combination of both - ready made and draft picks with the big disclaimer that any 18 year old we draft may be a bust. There is just not enough exposed form.

You really don't want to know why as the answer is and always has been right in front of you but you simply refuse to accept it. At the time of the draft with all that was known it did not look like a bad decision but now we know every bit of expert opinion was absolutely wrong.

As Macca has said - it is a flawed system but I fail to understand why you are so flummoxed as to why we took Toumpas.

Here is Emma Quayle pre draft

4 MELBOURNE

JIMMY TOUMPAS

(Woodville-West Torrens. 18, 182cm, 78kg)

Goal kicking wingman who likes to run.

THE RATIONALE: Toumpas is a class act; a humble, hard-working player able to cut teams up with his skill and scoring ability. Hes just what the Dees need.

THE COMPLICATION: Melbourne has been watching Ollie Wines, a diligent, competitive onballer for a long time. Hed be a good choice here too.

Paige Cardona had us taking Wines at 4 but GWS taking Toumpas at 2.

I TOLD YOU I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE JOURNALIST'S SCENARIOS

I WANT TO KNOW WHY TODD BALKED AT A DECISION THAT HAS PUT US BACK YEARS

We had the best info of anyone and threw it away.

So Todd Viney was a great player! Favourite memory would have to be his first half dozen games of the 98' season where he seemed to win every clearance he was involved in!

I TOLD YOU I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE JOURNALIST'S SCENARIOS

I WANT TO KNOW WHY TODD BALKED AT A DECISION THAT HAS PUT US BACK YEARS

We had the best info of anyone and threw it away.

In November 2012 Todd Viney rated Toumpas ahead of Wines. He got it wrong in hindsight. There's your answer. Lets move on!
  • Like 2

In November 2012 Todd Viney rated Toumpas ahead of Wines. He got it wrong in hindsight. There's your answer. Lets move on!

From the Horses mouth lets hear it.

Todd was a mighty player....

Edited by Sir Why You Little

The only good thing about ready made players is you somewhat know what you are getting.

I like a combination of both - ready made and draft picks with the big disclaimer that any 18 year old we draft may be a bust. There is just not enough exposed form.

We gave up pick 2 for White, pick 3 for Hogan & pick 2 again for Tyson & Salem.

So it's either/or for mine. The picks given up can be utilised on possible A graders but that's the chance you take.

Shhhhhhh........

Yeah Im with you shhhhhh - this thread is all about SWYL rants to trash Todd Viney - for picking a player SWYL wanted Viney to select ( ouch alright ).

Edited by T&W
  • Like 1

Mate, I tried to get back on topic. Why don't you give it a go for once?

FWIW, I'd like to hear Todd talk about the lead up to the merger game against Hawthorn. I remember going and thinking it was full of emotion and tension.

Some parts of your conversation with ManDee won't necessarily make all that much sense anymore since the original offending post has now disappeared. I apologise for any residual impression that you're both talking like a pair of astrologers.

• Like 3

Some parts of your conversation with ManDee won't necessarily make all that much sense anymore since the original offending post has now disappeared. I apologise for any residual impression that you're both talking like a pair of astrologers.

In future, please refrain from being logical or reasonable Dr. It just does not fit well in this place. Makes me quite uncomfortable in fact.

• Like 1

And you didn't?

I would never trash anybody who works for one of the most under funded footy departments ( development departments ) - recruiting departments in the AFL. ( All be it we have improved in this area thanks to funding from the AFL )

What is done is done. Last time I looked Jimmy T was running around in a Red & Blue jumper and thats good enough to get my 100% support.

• Like 2

It's a shame it's not a call in show. You could call up and give him a good seeing to WYL.

That i would Colin. Up until last week Ollie hadn't missed a game including 2 Final series.

And some people are hammering me!!!

We have some deadset soft supporters