Geelong at Geelong - why the injustice?

Curry & Beer

Carlton have played finals two of the last three years!

So they just made the finals in the last two years, how do you account for the preceding decade of crapness and still not playing in Geelong?

• Like 1

So they just made the finals in the last two years, how do you account for the preceding decade of crapness and still not playing in Geelong?

How do you account for no tanking charges.

They have power we do not.

• Like 1

We have won 13 games out of our last 100 contests, and are not likely to win a game in the near future.

The AFL has bailed us out financially, recruited a President, Board, CEO and a Coach.

As a scapegoat who understood the situation once said, "It is what it is".

• Like 1

Which is what I was pointing out when I originally wrote "The power brokers have spoken and it is how it is. Who is the chairman of the commission linked to again? Oh that's right, the cellar dweller with 7 Friday night games! Says it all really."

You have agreed with the point I was making.

• Like 1

This is the only answer.

FFS stop feeling sorry for ourselves

Kardinia Park has grass on it with 4 goal posts at each end

4 points are up for grabs

Win and get the fcuk out of there.

even if it really had 4 goal posts each end we would still lose :lol:

• Like 1

Which is what I was pointing out when I originally wrote "The power brokers have spoken and it is how it is. Who is the chairman of the commission linked to again? Oh that's right, the cellar dweller with 7 Friday night games! Says it all really."

You have agreed with the point I was making.

Sorry Chris read it wrong.

Not sure why I am still discussing this subject as I don't really care where we play Geelong we have to play away games so it might as well be there as anywhere else IMO.

• Like 1

even if it really had 4 goal posts each end we would still lose :lol:

If that were the case dc Geelong would have won by even large margins as they have way more forward enters

Sorry Chris read it wrong.

Not sure why I am still discussing this subject as I don't really care where we play Geelong we have to play away games so it might as well be there as anywhere else IMO.

I am happy to play them there as well, although I do have issues with rules for some and not others. Why for instance do Collingwood or Geelong get the option of playing a Geelong home game at the G so Geelong can earn more money? Guess I answered that in the question, unfortunately the AFL has let the integrity of the league be overruled by the almighty dollar. Sorry to those of you who fell off your seats laughing while reading the words integrity and AFL in the same sentence.

• Like 3

Not sure if the Cats whinge about us getting AFL handouts.

Sadly this is one of the IOUs.

Those comments are misguided, wrong and frankly should be banished from this site. Our supporters should know better.

It is not an equal competition. Geelong make $750k from a crowd of 20k at their home ground. We lose money with 20k at the MCG. We don't have corporate box revenue, signage etc etc.

The fixture is full of compromises with ANZAC day, Derby's, clashes of traditional rivals, friday night games, QB games, twilight games, broadcast times etc etc. Teams get dudded and we are one of those.

We play Richmond at Etihad in the past. and have played Geelong once at the MCG in around 11 years from memory. We usually play Essendon at eth G as an Essendon home game. When we draw against a decent Melbourne club we get good crowds so the argument about us not drawing crowds in franky [censored].

The AFL has a draft and salary cap which goes part of the way to making the competition even but WCE and COllingwood spend $300k A WEEK more than us on their football departments and its because of the situations outlined above.

This is partly why there is an equalisation fund. FOr our own supporters let alone ignorant opposition supporters and media to spout that Melbourne, North , Bulldogs etc are getting handouts is infuriating.

Stadium deals and fixturing are killing the game and the clubs. The clubs collectively are massively in debt with I think only 3, in surplus. Those that are getting Equalisation funds are not being fully compensated for the rorts that are going on elsewhere. Yet ignorant media and opposition supporters claim that they are 'supporting' weaker clubs etc.

The AFL need 18 clubs. If you didn't have them the broadcast deal would be reduced heavily.

We are not a team on welfare but a founding memeber of the competition that has been dudded on a number of fronts and that his kicked a number of own-goals as well. The more people start to recognise that the better, and the more that campaign for equal treatment will see us competing on an even footing.

• Like 5

Those comments are misguided, wrong and frankly should be banished from this site. Our supporters should know better.

It is not an equal competition. Geelong make $750k from a crowd of 20k at their home ground. We lose money with 20k at the MCG. We don't have corporate box revenue, signage etc etc.

The fixture is full of compromises with ANZAC day, Derby's, clashes of traditional rivals, friday night games, QB games, twilight games, broadcast times etc etc. Teams get dudded and we are one of those.

We play Richmond at Etihad in the past. and have played Geelong once at the MCG in around 11 years from memory. We usually play Essendon at eth G as an Essendon home game. When we draw against a decent Melbourne club we get good crowds so the argument about us not drawing crowds in franky [censored].

The AFL has a draft and salary cap which goes part of the way to making the competition even but WCE and COllingwood spend $300k A WEEK more than us on their football departments and its because of the situations outlined above.

This is partly why there is an equalisation fund. FOr our own supporters let alone ignorant opposition supporters and media to spout that Melbourne, North , Bulldogs etc are getting handouts is infuriating.

Stadium deals and fixturing are killing the game and the clubs. The clubs collectively are massively in debt with I think only 3, in surplus. Those that are getting Equalisation funds are not being fully compensated for the rorts that are going on elsewhere. Yet ignorant media and opposition supporters claim that they are 'supporting' weaker clubs etc.

The AFL need 18 clubs. If you didn't have them the broadcast deal would be reduced heavily.

We are not a team on welfare but a founding memeber of the competition that has been dudded on a number of fronts and that his kicked a number of own-goals as well. The more people start to recognise that the better, and the more that campaign for equal treatment will see us competing on an even footing.

In short, access to the market is not equitable and as such the clubs who have always had more access, get more support, money, and power, and then use that to get more access.

This is fine in a capitalist society and people use capitalism as the defence for this behaviour. The point they miss is that the AFL is competing on a capitalist basis against other sports. If we compete within then the AFL dies.

I don't really care if we play Geelong in Geelong or not (I'd obviously prefer not to go there), but there is merit to the argument that there's a degree of unfairness in things.

Carlton hasn't been sent to Geelong since 1997. They were a basket case in 2005-2007. They don't pull enormous crowds. Richmond's crowds would be bigger and they were sent down in 2012.

Essendon hasn't been since 1993 (one premiership in that time). Collingwood hasn't been since 1999 (one premiership).

We don't stop Collingwood/Hawthorn/Essendon/Carlton from playing at Spotless Stadium. We don't transfer home games away from the SCG when a big club is playing Sydney there. We don't even move games from Etihad to the G when the option is available and the crowd is a sell out.

Equalisation requires the big clubs to go to Geelong. Geelong isn't a Melbourne club, they shouldn't be hosting games in Melbourne. I recognise that's going to shut supporters out of Simonds Stadium. I don't care. When GWS is pushing for the premiership in the next 3 years the same problem is going to happen in Western Sydney. It's going to happen in Perth too, given Domain Stadium barely holds 45,000.

• Like 2

Fantastic post.

I was just sitting here thinking how much our beautiful game is analogous to the insane housing market. We had a beautiful asset in the idea of home ownership. Then the spivs and the conmen got hold of it and turned it into a commercial enterprise. Somebody's making squillions out of it, but it certainly isn't the younger generation, who have been priced out of the market.

Same thing with football - they took a wonderful community venture and sold it off to the highest bidder. The poor buggers who were down the bottom when it happened are doomed to stay down there.

Edited by Jara
  • Like 1

Can someone please explain to me why our game vs Geelong will be the 6th time in the last 7 meetings we have had to go down to that shithole?

What is the justification for such a blatant imbalance and obvious disadvantage?

It never gets mentioned, I actually do not know the reasoning for it.

Smaller support base and TV

Skilled stadium renovations needs to be paid for.

If our CEO keeps accepting humble pie and chit draws while Roosy gets his guaranteed 1.5 mill what do you expect?

We are making up the numbers until we start winning .

Would like us to start demanding some decent games.

These 3.20 Sunday games are a retards invention nutted out in a polo tent.

We need some balls -someone who just stands up and say.

"No we won't go to Geelong again"

"Well you will forfeit"

"Ok we will forfeit that round"

"That would be terrible for the game"

"So is this you poncey Adelaide closet"

• Like 1

That's not the point Chris is making though, OD. The argument that winning more games will get as away from playing games at SS is a load of crap. Carlton have had some horrible years and they never play down there. Carlton have the power. That goes directly to the injustice argument.

Skilled stadium renovations needs to be paid for.

If our CEO keeps accepting humble pie and chit draws while Roosy gets his guaranteed 1.5 mill what do you expect?

We are making up the numbers until we start winning .

Would like us to start demanding some decent games.

These 3.20 Sunday games are a retards invention nutted out in a polo tent.

We need some balls -someone who just stands up and say.

"No we won't go to Geelong again"

"Well you will forfeit"

"Ok we will forfeit that round"

"That would be terrible for the game"

"So is this you poncey Adelaide closet"

'A retards invention nutted out in a polo tent' once again proves you're ahead of your time.

If i remember correctly, taking 186 out of the equation we actually play better at skilled than the G at the cats. We have been absolutely deplorable against them at the G. The last time was horrendous, and i recall one a few years back where they kicked 10 goals or something like that in the first quarter. Reality is, we would suck against this team no matter where we play them.

Sadly the Bulldogs, North and St. Kilda have all been a fair bit better than us. Which is pretty damning isnt it?

I seem to remember a Friday night game against Geelong in the rain about 6 or 7 years ago and us getting done by the regulation 100+ points of the era. Since then I don't think we've had them back there.

If we start improving, and all signs are good, then lets see what happens. A home and away game for each club is the only FAIR way to do it but a level playing field is turning more and more into a fairytale these days.

We did play them at the G last year and got walloped! It is very unfair however that we have to play at the cattery so often in recent years. Does not help a team trying to rebuild.

i hate Geelong

This win is so awesome

piiss off Selwodd you ducker, [censored] Scott you cry baby. We ruined Enrights 300th hahahaaa

Eat a [censored] Geelong you smarmy pricks

To be fair, Corey Enright is an extraordinary player and from all reports a great bloke. I don't take huge enjoyment out of ruining his day.

However, I can't stand Selwood (he's had unbridled success in his 8 year career, his reactions to losses are so petulant) nor can I stand Geelong supporters, nor Chris Scott. Nor Mackie, Kelly, Johnson, Motlop, Hawkins or Taylor. I'm overjoyed at ruining their days - and if they miss the finals by a game, then I'll enjoy that even more.

• Like 1

To be fair, Corey Enright is an extraordinary player and from all reports a great bloke. I don't take huge enjoyment out of ruining his day.

However, I can't stand Selwood (he's had unbridled success in his 8 year career, his reactions to losses are so petulant) nor can I stand Geelong supporters, nor Chris Scott. Nor Mackie, Kelly, Johnson, Motlop, Hawkins or Taylor. I'm overjoyed at ruining their days - and if they miss the finals by a game, then I'll enjoy that even more.

Which arrogant [censored] of a Geelong player was it who pretended to fall asleep during their team song a few years back? That was Enright, wasn't it? Pretty sure it was. He's won three premierships. No sympathy for him at all. And if he was the bloke that did that years ago, that's a little bit of footy karma.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1