Melbourne v Western Bulldogs @ Eureka Stadium Ballarat - 14th March, 2015

Clucka

So we stunk it up during the second half of a NAB Cup game in March. Who cares. It feels as though the Earth is about to cave in and our impending doom is upon us.

NAB Cup games are for experimenting. Experimenting with centre square groups, experimenting with different styles of play, trialing players in different positions. The scoreboard is close to irrelevant. Take the game for what it was and remember to breathe.

The kids showed some promise. Toumpas and Salem in particular. Viney will be better for the run, ditto Watts. Garlett and JKH looked terrific at the feet of the forwards and our movement out of half back looked good.

Clearly our depth is still poor as when we went with other players, particularly during the last quarter, we struggled. That is still our future until the kids come on more and we upgrade through free agency.

The other positive are the new guys we did pick up - Lumumba, Garlett, Newton, Frost... all of them showed they are best 22 players who will be an upgrade on those who have filled their positions in the past. but

Plenty to like about today when the dust settles.

Too many doom and gloom people on this forum. The Bulldogs accounted for Richmond last week while we beat the Bulldogs today.The Power were thrashed by Richmond today but I doubt there would be many Power supporters particularly concerned with this result. No slashing of wrists etc.

Sorry guys, never been a basher, but toumpas is a dud, nah I have had ten beers, he is not a dud, but his cracking under pressure and useless foot skills cannot be tolerated at afl level. He had heaps of it today but every time he thinks he [censored] up.

Keep drinking.

• Like 5

Hey I know if I was playing a practise match and my team was winning by 40 points I would switch off too.

No one wants to get injurd and after hearing Roos perest confence I think that's what happened.

Maybe we will get accused of practising tanking in the second half?
  • Like 1

Roos seems less concerned than people here:

Melbourne coach Paul Roos said he wasn't too concerned by the change in momentum and didn't blame his side for taking their foot off the pedal.

Roos said the Demons stopped competing as hard at the contest, but he was pleased with the way his side moved the ball in transition early on.

"I think today what we saw in the first half was what we're trying to work on both defensively and offensively," he said.

As disappointed as I was at the time by the second half I think we can read a little bit into what Roos is trying to do. They mixed up the winning combination from the first half to give some other players game time and to learn more about where those players were in terms of preparation and the game plan.

As I saw it our key mids were essentially removed from the clearance work to see what a few others could do which allowed the dogs to win out of the centre. The coaches need to learn what the marginal players can and can't do and those players need to learn as well.

It became obvious our second rung players have a longer way to go and are not yet comfortable with implementing the game plan.

M jones has a long way to go and Mckenzie was poor. Lumumba is not a good inside mid without support and is better suited to the position in combination with jones and viney feeding him. Garland improved but needs another game under his belt to put in a full performance.

Watts was good in the second half and but for the wind would have kicked 3. It's going to be a difficult choice what to do with watts and frost.

In the season proper we won't see a starting clearance group without one of jones Tyson and viney which happened quite a few times in the second half. (Jones started on the wing a few times)

On reflection we have learned a lot out of yesterday in particular what combinations work and who is ready for the season..

• Like 6

In the last quarter, I saw H appear right in the middle of the screen lining up in the square, and I immediately felt safer. 10 seconds later, Jamar taps it right down H's throat, who bolts away and delivers a rocket to Watts who converts.

I was really impressed with him yesterday. The guy can just play - I think that got forgotten a bit with all the silly business with Buckley in the last few years. Also, I thought we were told he was a poor kick. Early days, but no sign of that so far.

• Like 8