Intra Club - Thursday 19 February 2015 at Casey Fields @ 3pm

Demonland

Salem is just all class. Has looked it since his first game against the Swans. He had trouble finding the ball last year, so if he can busier for longer periods this year he'll be a player to watch. Sounds like he had no such trouble today.

Great report BB, thanks.

Yep very excited for Salem especially the reports of him playing across half back, we need his class coming out of the backline as that's been a definite area of weakness over the last, well, decade.

• Like 4

Are these the same supporters that won't go to Etihad to watch a game?

He doesn't think so, he told me last week, that is why he is doing all the extra work, reckons he is nowhere near strong enough to compete with the 'mature' footy players he may come up against, but is working on it

No that's how quick he is, I would rate him alongside Matt Jones for speed, had a chat to him when they finished, can't wait to get the all clear from the shoulder injury so he can get a crack at the NAB cup hopefully, he is my smokey for this year now I have seen him

Physically he's only 19-20 so that's understandable but he has footy smarts, knows where he needs to put his body and doesn't seem rushed when doing it. As he grows into an adult he will become very difficult to play against. Edited by Al's Demons
  • Like 1

Speaking personally, I suspect that the answer is yes. I get to every Melbourne game at the "G" but when we are scheduled at Etihad or interstate, I prefer watching it at the pub with my mates.

Etihads not as bad as people make out, it sucks but putting up with it to see the Demons play is a small price. The major issue is our form there, if we could win some more games there it wouldn't seem nearly as bad (as is true for most of our performances over the last decade).

• Like 3

Etihads not as bad as people make out, it sucks but putting up with it to see the Demons play is a small price. The major issue is our form there, if we could win some more games there it wouldn't seem nearly as bad (as is true for most of our performances over the last decade).

I haven't been to Etihad much but when I went I thought it was an impressive stadium.

Then Melbourne came out and ruined it.

I am sure when we start winning there we will like it more.

• Like 2

Once you are there The Dump is a great place to watch footy. The problems are in getting there and getting in once you are there.

I hate the joint. Every time I go there I'm stuck in a massive line to buy a ticket, then I'm put in a crap position with the sun in my eyes to watch it. Sux balls big time.

• Like 3

Well done TDI. The observers who translate one miskick into many, or amplify the 'mistakes' of their favourite whipping boys drive me a bit nutty, so I like reading your more objective reality. Matt Jones is the biggest victim I reckon. I think his disposal is actually good, and his decision making very good, and I base that on last year. The other one is Grimes, who some imagine is not going to get a gig for round 1. He will.

Webber

I was wondering after reading some of your previous seemingly professional opinion on injuries

wether you had any comment on my observations about foot strike.

I noticed in the latest pics that there are not many players coming down on their heels which was the issue I raised from viewing the pic of 666 last practice.

I also note that there do not appear to be as many feet shots in the last lot.

The references I have seen refer about barefoot running and particularly as an appraisal of footwear is that forward lean and short strides are best for efficient body dynamics.

I would be interested not only on your thoughts but particularly your observations of players.

It may be a bit obscure and even irrelevant so understand if you choose to tell me that

Thanks

Once you are there The Dump is a great place to watch footy. The problems are in getting there and getting in once you are there.

Public transport couldn't be easier though, Spencer St just a short walk across the bridge and a couple of pubs within walking distance.

I hate the joint. Every time I go there I'm stuck in a massive line to buy a ticket, then I'm put in a crap position with the sun in my eyes to watch it. Sux balls big time.

Never had the queuing problem cos I've always had a 17 game/AFL membership.

What does suck is being gouged extra booking fees to sit on level 1 when most of our games the stadiums not even half full. That is an absolute joke but the MCG will be like that soon as well, most of the time you'd struggle to get a walk up seat there on level 1 these days.

I see St Kilda had their intra club today at 11. Was a huge crowd with memberships tents set up and jumping castle for the kids. Would have sold couple of hundred memberships and good time to purchase club merchandise. The club would have made a killing today.

Get ya [censored] sorted MFC. The perfect day when most most people and kids have today off theres nothing better then going and see intra club hitout and buy a membership along the way. Instead we put it on a [censored] time slot like thursday.

Even today i would have made the treck down from the country just to have a look.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 6

What a pack of whingers earlier in this thread. Get out of your comfortable Ivory towers and support the club. Going out to Casey will apparently earn this club between 2500 and 5000 extra members over the next 5-7 years. There was no point waiting for member increases to appear at Gosch's paddock. Stop whining and start following ! If you can't make it to whatever training they have out there then ........................suck it up all you princesses. Talk about soft cox.

Speaking for someone who has a young family, by the time you pick them up from school it was almost impossible to get to Casey at that time. My kids and I would have loved to go, but would only have made it if it was played in the inner city area.

I hope next year is a different story and it is played somewhere and at a time that the majority of supporters can get to.

• Like 2

I see St Kilda had their intra club today at 11. Was a huge crowd with memberships tents set up and jumping castle for the kids. Would have sold couple of hundred memberships and good time to purchase club merchandise. The club would have made a killing today.

Get ya [censored] sorted MFC. The perfect day when most most people and kids have today off theres nothing better then going and see intra club hitout and buy a membership along the way. Instead we put it on a [censored] time slot like thursday.

Even today i would have made the treck down from the country just to have a look.

So we had to organise 10 Casey players to top up the numbers to make the exercise worthwhile, when were they all available?

Misson and Roos are working to a timetable to have as many players fit and firing for Rd 1, when is the best time to play a praccy match to fit in with the program?

There are severe parking issues at Goschs, especially at the weekend, for anybody that wants to watch, do we take this into consideration as well?

Family Day generates memberships and merchandise sales, MFC is only one that has it at Luna Park to cater for all the families

So we had to organise 10 Casey players to top up the numbers to make the exercise worthwhile, when were they all available?

Misson and Roos are working to a timetable to have as many players fit and firing for Rd 1, when is the best time to play a praccy match to fit in with the program?

There are severe parking issues at Goschs, especially at the weekend, for anybody that wants to watch, do we take this into consideration as well?

Family Day generates memberships and merchandise sales, MFC is only one that has it at Luna Park to cater for all the families

Completely missed the point..

What has playing on a Saturday got to do with 10 Casey top up players? Casey has a squad of about 30 to 40 im pretty sure a lot of these blokes would be free on a Saturday to fill in.

And exactly what program are you talking about? My issue is when you put a timeslot of Thursday 3 o clock on a school week you are going to get a lot of disappointed supporters and kids who are unable to attend because of work life and school times. A lot of these people would have been hanging all summer wanting to go to an intra club match to see improvement and new recruits only to be let down by the timeslot. Me included. Yes its all about the players getting match fitness but supporters have just as much as right to this. After all we are paying for this club.

It is also another day to boost memberships if it was held on a Saturday. It would have attracted a lot of kids and families and merchandise sales would have gone through the roof. Nothing better then going to a footy on a Saturday with bright sunny skies right?

Yes the family day at Lunar park is good aswell. But why not having one at Casey aswell while being treated to a scratch match huh?

I wouldn't have had it on Goschs paddock anyway. Casey on a day like today would have been brilliant. Like I said I would have done a 3 hour road trip down by myself just to have a look...

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 5

Completely missed the point..

What has playing on a Saturday got to do with 10 Casey top up players? Casey has a squad of about 30 to 40 im pretty sure a lot of these blokes would be free on a Saturday to fill in.

And exactly what program are you talking about? My issue is when you put a timeslot of Thursday 3 o clock on a school week you are going to get a lot of disappointed supporters and kids who are unable to attend because of work life and school times. A lot of these people would have been hanging all summer wanting to go to an intra club match to see improvement and new recruits only to be let down by the timeslot. Me included. Yes its all about the players getting match fitness but supporters have just as much as right to this. After all we are paying for this club.

It is also another day to boost memberships if it was held on a Saturday. It would have attracted a lot of kids and families and merchandise sales would have gone through the roof. Nothing better then going to a footy on a Saturday with bright sunny skies right?

Yes the family day at Lunar park is good aswell. But why not having one at Casey aswell while being treated to a scratch match huh?

I wouldn't have had it on Goschs paddock anyway. Casey on a day like today would have been brilliant. Like I said I would have done a 3 hour road trip down by myself just to have a look...

So anybody would do, like an 18 yr old from the development squad?....how do know all would be available?

The fitness program, it is tightly controlled now, try speaking to the players you will find out how controlled, they all have individual daily and weekly loads

There was quite a healthy crowd at Casey, and not all grey beards like myself

I just find it contradictory when on the one hand you, amongst others, continually criticise the professionalism of the club, and then criticise when they hold a praccy game at a certain time, it was held then because obviously it was the best time for the players and staff, who are the most important in the whole scheme of things. If this helps towards winning a few early games, that will help the membership and merchandising no end

So anybody would do, like an 18 yr old from the development squad?....how do know all would be available?

The fitness program, it is tightly controlled now, try speaking to the players you will find out how controlled, they all have individual daily and weekly loads

I just find it contradictory when on the one hand you, amongst others, continually criticise the professionalism of the club, and then criticise when they hold a praccy game at a certain time, it was held then because obviously it was the best time for the players and staff, who are the most important in the whole scheme of things. If this helps towards winning a few early games, that will help the membership and merchandising no end

That doesn't make sense to me, An intra club match should be put on at a time which suits the general public and supporters, I would say if the fitness program costs the club a chance to gain supporters and memberships it should be slightly altered, surely a few Casey boys would have loved to play on Saturday in front of a crowd twice the size of a crowd on Thursday 3pm.
  • Like 2

That doesn't make sense to me, An intra club match should be put on at a time which suits the general public and supporters, I would say if the fitness program costs the club a chance to gain supporters and memberships it should be slightly altered, surely a few Casey boys would have loved to play on Saturday in front of a crowd twice the size of a crowd on Thursday 3pm.

I hope that is all tongue in cheek, if it's not, it will be a great conversation starter with Paul Roos if you get the chance

• Like 1

Some of the Casey players that played on Thursday will play some games in the development squad this year whats your point? Again missed the point again. I am not saying all will be available BUT I am pretty sure you will find most blokes will be free to play on Saturday especially when they are given bit of notice. Thursday at 2-3 o clock? when most young guys are at Uni or at work doing long hours? Il let you do the maths there..

Yeah im sure the crowd was... healthy.. Meanwhile St Kilday rack in about 2000 people today at Seaford.. Out of all places!

argh what a cringe worthy comment. Our clubs professionalism has been poor for the last 8 years! It still needs a lot of improving and im pretty sure Peter Jackson is aware of that. To improve the small things need to take place and grow from there. We aren't a hawthorn or a Sydney where we can just cruise on through like this with this kind of timeslot. As much as its important for players it is just as important for supporters to who put in their hard earn't cash into the club. We are still coming off a 4 win year where there are still some disgruntle supporters who refuse to sign with the club because of the poor professionalism of the club on field and off field.

• Like 2

Some of the Casey players that played on Thursday will play some games in the development squad this year whats your point? Again missed the point again. I am not saying all will be available BUT I am pretty sure you will find most blokes will be free to play on Saturday especially when they are given bit of notice. Thursday at 2-3 o clock? when most young guys are at Uni or at work doing long hours? Il let you do the maths there..

Yeah im sure the crowd was... healthy.. Meanwhile St Kilday rack in about 2000 people today at Seaford.. Out of all places!

argh what a cringe worthy comment. Our clubs professionalism has been poor for the last 8 years! It still needs a lot of improving and im pretty sure Peter Jackson is aware of that. To improve the small things need to take place and grow from there. We aren't a hawthorn or a Sydney where we can just cruise on through like this with this kind of timeslot. As much as its important for players it is just as important for supporters to who put in their hard earn't cash into the club. We are still coming off a 4 win year where there are still some disgruntle supporters who refuse to sign with the club because of the poor professionalism of the club on field and off field.

That is the point I am making, you either want professionalism or not, obviously the time chosen suited the footy dept, end of debate.

The membership if ticking along and is on par from last year, if we string wins together, the so called disgruntled supporers will soon be back on the bandwagon

I bought my membership last September so I am ok

edit Club has just tweeted they have a stand set up at the Berwick show, so a few more memberships hopefully

Edited by The Devil Inside
  • Like 1

That is the point I am making, you either want professionalism or not, obviously the time chosen suited the footy dept, end of debate.

The membership if ticking along and is on par from last year, if we string wins together, the so called disgruntled supporers will soon be back on the bandwagon

I bought my membership last September so I am ok

Did it suit supporters?

Did it suit supporters?end

Well obviously not you, but I enjoyed attending it along with a couple of hundred others

Just a point on being employed, I can attend training this year because as I was made redundant, but previously I used to juggle my RDO or in lieu leave so I could attend as well, including practice games, I suppose it depends on your priorities and how tragic you are, I don't mind being tragic

All in all it was just a practice game, and going on that point, I wonder how many supporters will actually go to Etihad to watch us play Essendon 3rds if it happens, if they are that desperate to see MFC play

• Like 2

Did it suit supporters?

If other clubs can manage a more supporter friendly time and day then why can't our club?

Given our last number of pathetic years our club should be doing the most out of every afl club to try to get supporters back.

• Like 5

We are going round in circles.

Let's presume the club purposely wanted to keep the intraclub as a low key affair. That's not unreasonable. The bigger the build up the more pressure on for players and coaches to make it entertainment instead of the focus on the actual football.

Let's also presume (whether true or not) that having it on Thursday at 3pm provided the best conditions for the coaches, players and fitness staff to prepare for the season. That may have been the case. They didn't have to work extra hours and had and then had a 3 day weekend to break up preseason before our first game. I personally can't see how a few hours later and/or Friday and/or Saturday would've changed anything but so be it.

What I don't get was why there was no BBQ, membership tents and some basic kids entertainment. It seems we dropped the ball on that at least. Even Saty with your fierce defending of all things the club does I don't see how you can say a membership tent and a BBQ wouldn't have been a good idea.

• Like 2

Considering the amount of whinging about access and parking at Casey, why have your practice match at the time when all surrounding grounds are engaged in local and district cricket as well as tennis and the display home crowd would see traffic and parking in the area already busy?

Just saying..................

I also could not understand the lack of membership, bbq or merchandise and believe the club missed a trick there.

Edited by T-34

We are going round in circles.

Let's presume the club purposely wanted to keep the intraclub as a low key affair. That's not unreasonable. The bigger the build up the more pressure on for players and coaches to make it entertainment instead of the focus on the actual football.

Let's also presume (whether true or not) that having it on Thursday at 3pm provided the best conditions for the coaches, players and fitness staff to prepare for the season. That may have been the case. They didn't have to work extra hours and had and then had a 3 day weekend to break up preseason before our first game. I personally can't see how a few hours later and/or Friday and/or Saturday would've changed anything but so be it.

What I don't get was why there was no BBQ, membership tents and some basic kids entertainment. It seems we dropped the ball on that at least. Even Saty with your fierce defending of all things the club does I don't see how you can say a membership tent and a BBQ wouldn't have been a good idea.

I agree with that bit, wasn't sure why there was nothing, was going to ask but only admin staff there were media.

I understand that there is going to more emphasis on the match day experience so assume we are saving the budget for that, and probably the Family Day which attracts more and more each year

I don't defend, but with talking to a lot of people involved in all facets of the Club, I have a bit better understanding of situations, just