CHANGES 2014 - The final word

Demonland

CHANGES 2014 - The final word by The Oracle

From day one, the Paul Roos recruiting mantra has been predominantly about the midfield; the engine room of the game and the most important part of the ground where the gaining of control normally has a major impact on the outcome of a game.

When the dust settled over the trading period in late October, a look back at the Melbourne Football Club's recruiting was not suggestive that this was the case. It's acquisitions to that time were a forward goal sneak, a running defender and a big-bodied key defender. There were suggestions that Jeff Garlett and Heritier Lumumba could be brought into midfield play but the fact remained that the club's need to strengthen its inside midfield stocks had certainly not been fulfilled.

So out it went and recruited 22 year old Ben Newton from Port Adelaide as a delisted free agent. The 183cm, 84kg left footer had four games with Port in 2014 but rejected a contract offer to seek more opportunity after just missing out on a spot in their finals team.

The acquisition of Newton left only two available places on the club's list with its third round national draft selection already reserved under the father/son rule and another pick required for Neville Jetta's upgrade from rookie status. The situation changed however, when young Dom Barry suddenly announced his retirement citing a desire to pursue other things in life. When Michael Evans was delisted a few days later, the Demons had four live picks in the draft - 2, 3, 40 and 53.

The long wait for draft day ended on 27 November and the club's first two picks were determined after St. Kilda surprised by nominating key forward Patrick McCartin as its first choice, leaving two potential long term medium midfielders as the obvious next picks. Here's how they were described in Inside Football:-

Christian Petracca Eastern Ranges 4/01/96 186cm 95k

Christian is extremely competitive and a dynamic inside midfielder who is also a superbly capable mid-sized forward. At this level he's proven to be one of if not the best junior players in the country at winning his own ball on the ground and in the air. It's hard to liken him to anyone currently in the AFL because he's such a unique talent loaded with so many variables in his skill set. He was an Australian basketball junior representative so has all those inside decision making under pressure qualities that set him apart from most players. Just a dynamic talent who is ready to go Round 1 next year for the club that drafts him. - Eastern Ranges talent manager Mark Neeld

DRAFT RANGE: Top 2

Angus Brayshaw Sandringham Dragons 9/1/96 187cm 91kg

Angus is a ready-made senior footballer and he's just keen to get in there. He is a genuine inside midfielder who is very good at the stoppages and on both sides of his body. To be picky, we'd like him to add a bit more outside burst run to his game, but he is good above his head and has a really good character and work rate. It's really about him just taking up the challenges and getting set as quickly as possible. - Sandringham Dragons talent manager Ryan O'Connor

DRAFT RANGE: Top 5

The drafters had to wait a while before calling out the next name but we're pleased to go with stoppage extractor Alex Neil-Bullen from Glenelg, a close friend of Stretch and the player who led the clearances at this year's national under 18 carnival.

Alex Neal-Bullen Glenelg 9/01/96 182kg 76kg

Alex is probably the pick of our bunch at Glenelg. Played half a dozen senior games as an inside midfielder after having an outstanding carnival and I was surprised he didn't get All Australian. I'd expect him to go in the first 25 picks. He's a bit Pendlebury - like because he's not blessed with pace but his ability to get out of traffic and use the ball is outstanding. Had 25 possessions in one game at senior level and is just a great character kid in terms of maturity. - Glenelg football manager Matt Lokan.

DRAFT RANGE: 2nd round

Soon after, the formality of the father/son naming was completed.

Billy Stretch Glenelg 8/9/96 180cm 71kg

Billy has already gone to Melbourne as son of Steve Stretch. An outstanding person who comes from an outstanding family with the sort of professionalism that would rival lots of guys already on AFL lists. Played some senior footy this year and didn't look out of place at that level. - Glenelg football manager Matt Lokan.

DRAFT RANGE: Melbourne father-son selection.

The next choice was also a surprise. Tom McDonald's bother Oscar had been one of the leading tall defenders in this year's TAC Cup competition and was expected to be taken before pick 53, ironically the same selection as that which secured his sibling four years ago.

Oscar McDonald North Ballarat Rebels 18/3/96 197cm 94kg

It was a breakout year for Oscar. He concentrated on his studies last year and got a 99+ ENTER score. He has developed into a really strong man and reads the play exceptionally well. He can play forward and back and had some big jobs this year where he acquitted himself really well. There is a question mark on his speed but he answered those at the combine with some good testing. Players at 197cm don't grow on trees and we think he is our best chance this year. - North Ballarat Rebels talent manager Phil Partington

DRAFT RANGE: 2nd/3rd round.

This left only two rookie spots to fill and the recruiting team continued on with their now established trend and went for two medium sized versatile types who can also play in the middle of the ground.

Aaron Vandenberg was the smokey who didn't make it into Inside Football's list of over 200 players who were given pen pictures in its November edition. A 188cm, 90kg onballer, Vandenberg has won the Ainslie best-and-fairest for the last two years. This year, he dominated the NEAFL possession counts and finished off up forward with 20 goals. He was second in the NEAFL best-and-fairest and was also selected as a midfielder in the NEAFL 2014 Team of the Year. Melbourne Demons pick Ainslie's Aaron Vandenberg in AFL rookie draft

The club's last selection at # 20 was another left footer, Mitchell White from the Dandenong Stingrays who joins former teammate James Harmes on the rookie list.

Mitch White Dandenong Stingrays 10/4/96 189cm 85kg

Mitch is an AFL draftable player if he had two full years without his injuries. He was in Vic Country's best 22 and copped a corkie on the Thursday night before the last game. He's our best ball user - he kicks it 70 metres on his left and is neat on his right. He's got a funny running style which can throw guys off - he is a level 14 beeper. He can play on a wing, go forward and kick goals, he can play down back. He is Michael Hibberd where he is right now - they questioned his running style, they questioned his ability to play at the next level, but in the system he is a kid who will work his arse off. - Dandenong Stingrays talent manager Matt Wheeler

DRAFT RANGE: Late pick/rookie.

The playing list for the Melbourne Football Club as it faces 2015 is:-

PRIMARY LIST:

Rohan Bail Angus Brayshaw Daniel Cross Chris Dawes Lynden Dunn Jack Fitzpatrick Sam Frost Colin Garland Jeff Garlett Max Gawn Jack Grimes Jesse Hogan Jeremy Howe Jayden Hunt Mark Jamar Neville Jetta Matt Jones Nathan Jones Jay Kennedy-Harris Dean Kent Heritier Lumumba Tom McDonald Oscar McDonald Jordie McKenzie Viv Michie Alex Neal-Bullen Ben Newton Cameron Pedersen Christian Petracca Aidan Reilly Christian Salem Jake Spencer Billy Stretch Dean Terlich Jimmy Toumpas Jack Trengove Dominic Tyson Bernie Vince Jack Viney Jack Watts

ROOKIE LIST:

James Harmes Max King Aaron Vandenberg Mitchell White

• Like 3

We did well by all accounts however the proof will be in th pudding come Round 1. A good indication of our recruiting smarts is the article in today's Herald-Sun on the Leagues 'Young Guns' which suggests that we have four players in the top 13 who are most likely to make an impact this year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-20-young-guns-set-to-light-it-up-in-season-2015-who-is-your-clubs-young-gun/story-fni5f22o-1227147068265

Great post. Ta. I didn't realise jnr Mac is an above sger like brayshaw. Turns 19 in Feb. Does anyone know what he was doing this year as he must have done vce in 2013?

Not too sure, but he must have done VCE the year before, as in one of the mfc videos Matt Burgan talks to him about his 99 :blink: ENTER Score. Scores for this year don't get released until sometime in January.

Great to have the whole offseason together in one place, I like how it sounds. We do this every year but I'm finding it easier than usual to get excited about our chances next season. Firstly, we're still a long way off. I don't have high expectations in terms of ladder placement next year. I hope we go up but it will be a win if we're competing for a finals spot in round 15-18.

We have to find a way to score consistently. So much of that rests on Hogan. Hopefully he's ready to contribute but I'm nervous about that. So much pressure on a guy who hasn't even played a game yet. Clearly Mitch Clark couldn't handle the pressure, hopefully Hogan can take it. I just hope he stays healthy, that's all I want to see. If he's healthy, other teams will be tempted to send multiple defenders at him and that will free up Dawes. I actually really like Dawes as a 2nd or 3rd tall.

Garlett is the wild card. I absolutely agree that he's worth taking a punt on. Hopefully he can settle his life outside of football and focus on getting his game right. With him providing a legitimate option as a leading and crumbing forward below Hogan, and if Hogan is what we think he is, they will be our no. 1 and 2 option in our inside fifty.

The group will have to learn how to play winning football and turn around the corrosive lack of belief. Hopefully some leaders step up. In time, that leadership may come from Brayshaw or Petracca, but right now we need another couple of guys to join Jonesy, Viney, Tyson, Jetta, etc as on-field leaders. Heretier despite his off-field quirks is a great footballer with finals experience and toughness. He stood tall for Collingwood. We've added another General to our back line in Lumumba.

A break out from Michie, Reilly, Newton, JKH, Salem, Kent, Frost or Toumpas is essential for next year. Hopefully all of them take a step up but we need more toughness and leadership. I'm talking fist pumping enthusiasm, and a desire to lead the charge as we crush our opposition into the ground.

My pick here is Salem. I like what I've seen of him. Not afraid of the contest and very clever around the goals. If he can cement a place in the side as a forward I will be stoked. Newton looks like a fiery competitor but I don't know anything about him besides a 4 minute clip some Geelong fan put together when he thought they might pick him up.

A lot of ifs in there, not to mention the biggest one of all - if everyone is healthy - but that's what this time of year is all about.

I'm pumped for preseason. Can't wait to see what we've got in all of our new recruits.

Which players are we most excited / optimistic about?

• Like 4

Hogan is the obvious choice, with Toumpas not far behind. I actually can't wait to watch Toump next season. The training reports have got me excited.

Two Neeld acquisitions. Hopefully by season's end it will be two more reasons to say "thanks Neeldy". That is currently a short list.

• Like 2

Frost is the one that we need to fire. Along with Lumumba that should take quite a bit of presure off our backline.

And the midfield has been strengthened.

I worry about our rucks...

I am excited about Frost, all of of our recent draft/trade picks and both Salem and Toumpas! 2015 should be a great year for the MFC!

Great to have the whole offseason together in one place, I like how it sounds. We do this every year but I'm finding it easier than usual to get excited about our chances next season. Firstly, we're still a long way off. I don't have high expectations in terms of ladder placement next year. I hope we go up but it will be a win if we're competing for a finals spot in round 15-18.

We have to find a way to score consistently. So much of that rests on Hogan. Hopefully he's ready to contribute but I'm nervous about that. So much pressure on a guy who hasn't even played a game yet. Clearly Mitch Clark couldn't handle the pressure, hopefully Hogan can take it. I just hope he stays healthy, that's all I want to see. If he's healthy, other teams will be tempted to send multiple defenders at him and that will free up Dawes. I actually really like Dawes as a 2nd or 3rd tall.

Garlett is the wild card. I absolutely agree that he's worth taking a punt on. Hopefully he can settle his life outside of football and focus on getting his game right. With him providing a legitimate option as a leading and crumbing forward below Hogan, and if Hogan is what we think he is, they will be our no. 1 and 2 option in our inside fifty.

The group will have to learn how to play winning football and turn around the corrosive lack of belief. Hopefully some leaders step up. In time, that leadership may come from Brayshaw or Petracca, but right now we need another couple of guys to join Jonesy, Viney, Tyson, Jetta, etc as on-field leaders. Heretier despite his off-field quirks is a great footballer with finals experience and toughness. He stood tall for Collingwood. We've added another General to our back line in Lumumba.

A break out from Michie, Reilly, Newton, JKH, Salem, Kent, Frost or Toumpas is essential for next year. Hopefully all of them take a step up but we need more toughness and leadership. I'm talking fist pumping enthusiasm, and a desire to lead the charge as we crush our opposition into the ground.

My pick here is Salem. I like what I've seen of him. Not afraid of the contest and very clever around the goals. If he can cement a place in the side as a forward I will be stoked. Newton looks like a fiery competitor but I don't know anything about him besides a 4 minute clip some Geelong fan put together when he thought they might pick him up.

A lot of ifs in there, not to mention the biggest one of all - if everyone is healthy - but that's what this time of year is all about.

I'm pumped for preseason. Can't wait to see what we've got in all of our new recruits.

Kent has a fair bit of upside based on a couple of the cameos this season.

Frost is the one that we need to fire. Along with Lumumba that should take quite a bit of presure off our backline.

Has it?

Or is it the 'future midfield' that has been (possibly) strengthened?

We still go into 2015 with N Jones, Tyson, Cross, Vince, Viney, and a milieu of M Jones, Bail, Newton, Michie, Riley, McKenzie, Grimes (?) and youngsters Toumpas, Salem, JKH, Kent, Brayshaw, Petracca, Neal-Bullen, and Stretch pushing for roles their bodies will allow them to fulfil.

Roos has seen 12 of the 20 above arrive in his tenure but the fruits won't come, if they do come, for a few years.

I think we will remain if not the worst, then in the bottom four, for key midfield metrics in 2015.

I think we will remain if not the worst, then in the bottom four, for key midfield metrics in 2015.

For the reasons you have stated I think that we are unpredictable. There are enough players in that list that could make large steps forward in 2015. If three or four of them do then our improvement could be significant.

We are a very difficult side to quantify in 2015.

• Like 1

For the reasons you have stated I think that we are unpredictable. There are enough players in that list that could make large steps forward in 2015. If three or four of them do then our improvement could be significant.

We are a very difficult side to quantify in 2015.

Yeah, I think that is a bias view of a lot of churn of players and staff.

I think we will be bottom 4 again...

Has it?

We still go into 2015 with N Jones, Tyson, Cross, Vince, Viney, and a milieu of M Jones, Bail, Newton, Michie, Riley, McKenzie, Grimes (?) and youngsters Toumpas, Salem, JKH, Kent, Brayshaw, Petracca, Neal-Bullen, and Stretch pushing for roles their bodies will allow them to fulfil.

Roos has seen 12 of the 20 above arrive in his tenure but the fruits won't come, if they do come, for a few years.

Fair call

Has it?

I'm of the belief that Lumumba should and will play midfield and will be significantly better than what Matt Jones and Watts offered as our most picked wingmen. Newton is really depth and of course Petracca and Brayshaw are more for the future than now. It's not the immediate impact of Cross, Vince and Tyson last year. But it's something. Bottom 4 probably, but at least rising.

I think all of Riley, Michie, Newton (as a newbie), Toumpas, Salem, JKH and Kent will be better and will have more competition in behind them. I'm not sure what that means in terms of results though.

• Like 1

I worry about Max Gawn.

I know what Jamar is. He's an old war horse with maybe 1 more solid year left in him. I know what Spencer is. He's incredibly poorly skilled but has a dip and most weeks will stop you losing the game at least due to complete ruck incompetence.

But Gawn is the man with the talent to give us several years of above average play from a ruckman and should be hitting that period in the next 12-24 months. But so much rests on him getting an injury free period.

Anyway, if we have a great year from our forwards, mids and backs I could probably handle a poor year from the rucks. It only takes one trade to fix your ruck woes when your premiership window is open. It takes much more than that to find the other 21 in a premiership team.