Our Ruck Situation

ashdemons22

Does any one else think this is a concern going into 15

Jamar on the wrong side of 30 our starting ruck if all fit agreed?

Gawn On the track fingers crossed he does full preseason and should be pushing for number 1 spot. Still unproven and allot of unknown about him still young in ruck terms.

Then it thins out quickly.

Spencer Okay tap ruck does some crash and bash stuff That's Its.

Then we have Fitz Pedo who can pinch hit and young Maxy King.

Are we one short or Are you guys happy with it?

Rookie spot !

If Gawn could string a dozen games together, let alone a full season, he could be anything. Big "if".

But yes, we are light on for rucks, especially ready-to-go rucks.

We could pick up Hammelmans in the rookie draft, but he'll take a few years so that's not going to help our immediate situation much. Looks more of a lead-up forward anyway.

There didn't seem to be much on offer in the trade period this year. Hopefully we're already putting the feelers out for 2016.

If Gawn could string a dozen games together, let alone a full season, he could be anything. Big "if".

But yes, we are light on for rucks, especially ready-to-go rucks.

We could pick up Hammelmans in the rookie draft, but he'll take a few years so that's not going to help our immediate situation much. Looks more of a lead-up forward anyway.

There didn't seem to be much on offer in the trade period this year. Hopefully we're already putting the feelers out for 2016.

Brisbane have first dibs on Hammelman due to him being in their academy.

Roosy talked Spencer up last year & they re signed him for 2 years. He also said you need a ruck devision as no ruckman can go it alone all year. I think they feel rather set on that group being Jamar, Spencer & Gawn with Fitzy & Pedo being ruck/forwards & King still a project. That's heaps for now. No more 3rd or 4th type backups like Lowden will greatly improve this group IMO. When Jamar retires either the other boys have come along well enough to take over or we will chase an established ruckman for 2016. Maybe we take another for the Rookie List as insurance but I personally doubt it. It's now or never for Gawn & Fitzy especially in my book & they'll get opportunities to work out whether they are the real deal or not this year.

• Like 1

Jamar is our no.1 ruck with Gawn as his understudy. Spencer is the backup in case of injuries with Pederson able to pinch hit if required. King is a developing kid (who I think will end up our best one).

So, that's 4 genuine rucks and 1 pinch hitter. With a list of 40 players, that's 12% of the list for one playing spot. That sounds about right, perhaps go for one as a rookie but clubs generally will trade for an experienced ruck now rather than carry too many on the list.

• Like 1

Does any one else think this is a concern going into 15

Jamar on the wrong side of 30 our starting ruck if all fit agreed?

Gawn On the track fingers crossed he does full preseason and should be pushing for number 1 spot. Still unproven and allot of unknown about him still young in ruck terms.

Then it thins out quickly.

Spencer Okay tap ruck does some crash and bash stuff That's Its.

Then we have Fitz Pedo who can pinch hit and young Maxy King.

Are we one short or Are you guys happy with it?

Rookie spot !

This is about the standard for a PR ruck combo.

Pinch hit and see what happens.

Thats why he has stuck with Jamar.and will continue to do so.

Jamar is our no.1 ruck with Gawn as his understudy. Spencer is the backup in case of injuries with [Pedersen] able to pinch hit if required. King is a developing kid (who I think will end up our best one).

So, that's 4 genuine rucks and 1 pinch hitter. With a list of 40 players, that's 12% of the list for one playing spot. That sounds about right, perhaps go for one as a rookie but clubs generally will trade for an experienced ruck now rather than carry too many on the list.

It would be 12% if they were all fit for every match. Over a full season it's more like 5%.

I think we're fine in the ruck, overated position anyway, Pedo can compete there FFS, and he's only in the low 190's for height. I reckon they'll wait to see if Max King can lift his game this year and if so, he becomes the next hope, if not, I think we'll look to trade in an established ruck and/or rookie another long-term prospect.

• Like 2

I think we're fine in the ruck, overated position anyway, Pedo can compete there FFS, and he's only in the low 190's for height. I reckon they'll wait to see if Max King can lift his game this year and if so, he becomes the next hope, if not, I think we'll look to trade in an established ruck and/or rookie another long-term prospect.

Tend to agree, I'm struggling to come up with a club who haven't had ruck problems in the past few years.

The injury list is endless, luck plays such a role.

Considering only 2 ruckman were picked in the national draft, and considering the success of ruckman coming from the rookie list, we'd be silly not to pick up a ruckman with pick 2.

Get the 3rd best ruckman from this year's crop and develop them.

Yeah I'm not too fussed. Jamar, Gawn and Spencer should do the trick. Pedersen and Fitzy are options as back ups and Max King is a project. 6 guys for 2 spots in the team is reasonable cover.

Once Jamar goes we will see where Gawn and Spencer are at and might need to draft or trade for another option. I'm hoping Gawn becomes a top 10 ruck in the league but there's a bit of water to go under the bridge there. And I think Spencer can be better than average depth. But I don't ever see them being a good combination together.

I think at some stage unless King (or unexpectedly Fitzy) come on to be 2nd ruck/fwd types we will need to address that position. But it's a long way off.

I'm hoping there is a Peter Wright or Patty Ryder available at a pick or trade some time in the future.

• Like 1

While I think ruckmen aren't critical to success with most of what they do, it would be nice if we had one who could take a few marks on long kick-outs when other options aren't available. We are behind many other teams with that I think.

While I think ruckmen aren't critical to success with most of what they do, it would be nice if we had one who could take a few marks on long kick-outs when other options aren't available. We are behind many other teams with that I think.

Since his glory days of 2010-2011 the Russian just stopped catching it. Gawn is better than him these days with marking around the ground. But later last year Jamar turned the clock back and clunked a few.

Without derailing this in to another kick outs thread, our kick out problems are caused by way more than not having a dominant ruckman.

I think King is seen as a forward and he is years away with his body shape if he was to be tried in the ruck . My prediction is a mature body ruck and key forward .

You only know the value of a good ruckman when you haven't got one.

We still need a good ruckman in order to nullify a team who has got a good ruckman. You can't just put anyone in there otherwise we run run the risk of the other mob waltzing the ball away from clearances and ball-ups.

Jamar* is the man (still) and if big Max can stay injury free, he might develop into a good ruckman. Spencer should get better and we've got a few who can pinch hit ... that 'pinch hitting' probably needs to coincide to when the other mob are pinch hitting otherwise ...

Besides that, as others have indicated, King is still very young and we might pick up another back-up ruckman in the rookie draft ...

*If Jamar can remain injury free, I can see a situation where he goes on past 2015 - especially so if we don't produce an adequate replacement anytime soon.

You only know the value of a good ruckman when you haven't got one.

Rucks are over rated. As long as they break even at the taps and don't let the other ruck run amok in general play, then his job is done.

If their sole job was tapping the ball then I would say you are correct. The value of a good ruckman like Cox for example is that they can become another midfielder and also provide the let out option for defenders.

To back up 'Macca', GWS sure realised how much they missed big Mummy when he was gone.

Plus only Gawn can play in the same team as any of the other rucks (and he is a little in and out). I'm happy not to pick a ruck in the rookie draft.

I think Gawn in as a forward was only because we lacked tall options. In a better team we would not carry Gawn and another ruckman. Gawn, if he stays on the park and gets fit is our best option but at the moment it's still a big if.

To me if we could find a ruck like Mitch Clark he would be ideal. Can tap, get his own ball, help teammates at ground level, mark around the ground and kick goals when resting forward.

And if a team doesn't break even, they might get towelled up. Usually, if that happens, a loss is often forthcoming.

Right now, if we didn't have Jamar, it would probably cost us half our potential wins. Rucks are underrated because they often nullify each other. Some don't notice either "dominating" when that happens so a conclusion is reached that neither are having any influence - that view is too simplistic.

Jamar gets marked down because he doesn't do a lot around the ground ... the alternative (right now) is to be fair-to-poor in both facets of ruck play.

If their sole job was tapping the ball then I would say you are correct. The value of a good ruckman like Cox for example is that they can become another midfielder and also provide the let out option for defenders.

That is pretty rare though. I'd be happy with a break even ruck that let the mids do what the needed to do. And don't get me wrong, I'd love a Cox or White playing for us but I'd be very happy with a ruckman that did enoungh to break even week in and out.