Tim Membrey

MadAsHell

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tim-membrey-puts-contract-talks-on-hold-amid-sydneys-loaded-forward-line/story-fni5fan7-1227064471118

Worth a look? Put contract talks on hold. 188cm KPF in the Jack Darling mould. Could be a handy pick up. As we saw this year, without Hogan & Clark, apart from Pedersen we didn't really have anyone else to fill that 3rd tall forward spot.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tim-membrey-puts-contract-talks-on-hold-amid-sydneys-loaded-forward-line/story-fni5fan7-1227064471118

Worth a look? Put contract talks on hold. 188cm KPF in the Jack Darling mould. Could be a handy pick up. As we saw this year, without Hogan & Clark, apart from Pedersen we didn't really have anyone else to fill that 3rd tall forward spot.

I was amazed he was drafted as late as he was. Was never going to get a chance while the Swans had all their tall forwards.

The 200+ blokes are the ones that are hard to match up on and cause the trouble.

Thats where I hope Fitzpatrick finally becomes an established player for us.

200cm super quick forwards don't grow on trees.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 3

This. So far, he's been a classic MFC tease. If all his planets align, Jack Fitzpatrick could be a more than valuable regular. If not, he's just part of the frustration heap.

Agile and speedy tall athletes do grow on trees and that's exactly what Fitzy is.

He is not a natural footballer.

I've never rated him, I don't believe he will become a consistent AFL footballer and quite frankly I think he was another very speculative late pick by the same recruiting staff that got so many picks wrong.

He'll be gone within a year or two.

• Like 2

Agile and speedy tall athletes do grow on trees and that's exactly what Fitzy is.

I've never rated him, I don't believe he will become a consistent AFL footballer and quite frankly I think he was another very speculative late pick by the same recruiting staff that got so many picks wrong.

Couldn't agree more. Kicked a couple of goals at the end of the year when the heat was off to blind some supporters to his ability, but early in the season when the heat was on against opposition who were having far more of a crack the bloke looked lost. His height is keeping him on the list at the minute, doesn't bring much else to the table.

Membrey is worth a look but there are a few other clubs down here who lack a target up forward as well.

As for Membrey, I fully endorse targeting a highly talented forward who can't get a gig in what is easily the most potent forward line in the AFL.

and probably midfield

and defence.

I think most clubs would be looking at Sydney and seeing if any of thier second tier juniors will be seeking more opportunity and dollars.

Mid-sized leading forward dominating in the weakest secondary competition.

Meh.

For his role, you need to cover an exceptional amount of ground, like a Robbie Grey and have exceptional skills, or else you're just a tweeter trying to play taller than you are and usually doing a pretty bad job of it.

Can't see what value he'd bring to the dees.

He'd get dominated by a tall defender, and he's simply not a good high half forward, like you'd want him to be.

Re: Membrey, not sure what he brings to the table at AFL level. Was a highly talented junior (and captained Vic Metro?) but was always a man child, was very good as an undersized KPF (being able to dominate physically smaller opponents) and had some decent spells through the midfield. Unfortunately he's not tall enough to play as a regular KPF at AFL level, but has decent skills and a good footy brain.

Going to respectfully disagree with this - you can't kick a centimetre perfect banana from 50m out on the boundary without having some form of football skills.

In his underage year at TAC cup level after a number of impressive performances (incl. for Vic Metro in the grand final) he was being talked up as a top 5 pick. In his top age year he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and he didn't show any of his under age form after that. I believe that he was managing chronic fatigue on top of diabetes for the majority of this year. I'm unsure if he'll ever make it due to his health concerns, but he definitely has the talent.

FWIW - although their recuriting with early picks was terrible, BP's team did manage to take Howe, Mcdonald, Gawn, Jetta, Jurrah, Wona and Bail with 'speculative late picks'.

Re: Membrey, not sure what he brings to the table at AFL level. Was a highly talented junior (and captained Vic Metro?) but was always a man child, was very good as an undersized KPF (being able to dominate physically smaller opponents) and had some decent spells through the midfield. Unfortunately he's not tall enough to play as a regular KPF at AFL level, but has decent skills and a good footy brain.

Brad green was 184cm, and tim membrey is 188cm. Brad green, while not being a dominant forward was still able to hold his own and kick a couple of goals a game for us as well as moving through the middle a bit, and I think membrey could be similar for us as green was.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking they just offered him the fattest paycheck.

Can't begrudge a guy from leaving the grand finalists for wooden spooners though, but surely there isn't much upside to go to the Saints right now. Once Roo retires they're buggered.

• Like 2