The Ollie Whines Lounge

P-man

A glimpse is all we will ever see

Neeld picked the wrong baby...

It's too easy to blame a dud coach with sole responsibility.

The whole footy dept was part of this decision.

It was unwise but as DD36 mentions, we've made plenty of blunders over the duration.

• Like 2

It's too easy to blame a dud coach with sole responsibility.

The whole footy dept was part of this decision.

It was unwise but as DD36 mentions, we've made plenty of blunders over the duration.

oh yes plenty of blunders.

This one hurts the most to me

Stared us in the face & we still couldn't get it right.

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1

It is quite appropriate to make the Watts vs. Nic Nat comparison. Watts was 10th in the Demons' B&F in 2014, Nic Nat was a comparable 9th in the Eagles' B&F the same year. Judging on pre-season form, Watts will become more valuable to us this year if Roos settles him in a constant role, while I cannot see any similar exponential improvement occurring with Nic Natanui. Wait until Toumpas has been given a similar opportunity to find his role and develop on his performance in the preseason and the Doggies match!

Indeed. I started posting on DL about the time watts and nick nat were coming into their third year and the call we made a big error taking Watts were much, much louder and more widespread than the debate about Wines and Watts. There was barely anyone who argued we made the right choice. Most posters were incredulous any suggestion could even be made we made the right choice.

Nik Nat was AA in his second year was he not and all and sundry pointed out how stupid we were not taking this once in a generation player. Well that noise has died down and there is a chance that in the next 2-3 years the majority view might be we made the right call.

Most of the black and white, tunnel view brigade would have said such a possibility two years into their career was impossible - that anyone saying such a thing had to be delusional . Funny then that now people are saying it is impossible to imagine the Toump being a better player than WInes.

• Like 1

But i never said he will be better then Wines. Im saying that he will still be a good player for us down the track.

Its people like you that are willing to write him off completely which history have shown on here that its far too early to tell.

The whole Wines v Toumpas is stupid. We could have had had Zaharakaz instead of Blease. Sloane instead of Bennell and Fyfe instead of Gysberts.. [censored] happens hey?

For me im still going to back him in until he is traded or delisted. The glimpse he showed against WB got me excited.

You're right, DD36. Thanks for the debate....but, you know what? I'm so exhausted, so damaged by what's occurred over the last decade, that I can't go there anymore.

• Like 4

Though Toumpas did have a poor game against the Bombers I'm definitely not gonna write him off. The first two NAB cup games he only played a total of 61% game time and still managed to record 34 touches from the two games plus 9 tackles. These are pretty decent numbers and I'm hoping with a full season he can average somewhere around 22-24 touches a game this season.

• Like 1

oh yes plenty of blunders.

This one hurts the most to me

Stared us in the face & we still couldn't get it right.

I respect your opinion that you may have seen what was the right pick predraft but you keep failing to mention that the great majority rated Toumpas higher. The great majority were obviously wrong but this is only in retrospect. It may hurt you the most but it wasn't staring us in face - Toumpas was rated higher by nearly every good judge. Just proves there ain't too many good judges out there.

This one doesn't hurt me the most - the likes of Cook, Blease and Strauss who were taken way too early hurt me more.

• Like 1

I respect your opinion that you may have seen what was the right pick predraft but you keep failing to mention that the great majority rated Toumpas higher. The great majority were obviously wrong but this is only in retrospect. It may hurt you the most but it wasn't staring us in face - Toumpas was rated higher by nearly every good judge. Just proves there ain't too many good judges out there.

This one doesn't hurt me the most - the likes of Cook, Blease and Strauss who were taken way too early hurt me more.

Nut i keep saying it.

We had inside information. It was staring the club in the face and they blew it

Has nothing to do with what the bloody journos wrote

All of those high draft picks we blew. Watts under Roos i think will make it. The rest were fails. All of them.

But not picking Wines was the biggest. He and JV are best mates.

Nut i keep saying it.

We had inside information. It was staring the club in the face and they blew it

Has nothing to do with what the bloody journos wrote

All of those high draft picks we blew. Watts under Roos i think will make it. The rest were fails. All of them.

But not picking Wines was the biggest. He and JV are best mates.

Yes, but the 'inside information' that we had suggested that Toumpas was still the better pic.

If anyone had an inkling of what Wines would be playing like now - he would have gone number one.

On an open market he was valued as the 7th most promising youngster available.

Drafting is an imprecise science - even Hawthorn and Geelong, who have drafted impeccably, have made some howlers in the first round.

The player who was rated as a top three talent all year - or an inside, one paced, man-child who bullied his way through the under 18 carnival against schoolboys. It looked obvious to the overwhelming majority of people at the time... now it makes us all shudder.

• Like 2

SO EFFING WHAT

do you seriously think that is how we should be recruiting players, based on who they are mates with? FCS that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard

Best Mates with the Head Recruiters son

Now that is good solid information Curry

you do not throw that away......but alas

So you're suggesting that Jack Viney himself weighs in with his opinion on whether we should draft his mate, and THAT is how we should run our recruiting department? Don't leave to the decisions to the qualified professionals, ask the other draftees what they reckon FMD

Not to mention that there was an article written about how Wines would LOVE to come to the club and play with his best mate.

LOVE to come to the club.....

So you're suggesting that Jack Viney himself weighs in with his opinion on whether we should draft his mate, and THAT is how we should run our recruiting department? Don't leave to the decisions to the qualified professionals, ask the other draftees what they reckon FMD

That's funny......

• Like 1

Not to mention that there was an article written about how Wines would LOVE to come to the club and play with his best mate.

There was also one that quoted Viney as saying the toump was the best trainer and the player he would pick

• Like 2

No that is not what i meant at all....Rude little man you are.

What i said is quite simple, you just don't like it

• Like 1

again, that is an absurd thing to take into consideration.. surely that is obvious. Do you happen to remember the 'mates' recruitment of Tapscott and Blease, that really panned out well didn't it?

again, that is an absurd thing to take into consideration.. surely that is obvious. Do you happen to remember the 'mates' recruitment of Tapscott and Blease, that really panned out well didn't it?

See *that's funny* post in relation to your commentary around 'professionals'