• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Ollie Whines Lounge

P-man

Presenting The Ollie Whines Lounge. A place where all the ollie whiners can come to mingle.

What's that? Ollie Wines had 46 disposals, 18 clearances, 14 tackles and kicked 7 goals? Need to cry into someone's shoulder?

This is the place for you.

Forget creating new threads to tell the world how angry you are.

Forget "gee that Wines kid goes alright, thanks Mark" in every second thread.

This is your one stop shop for the great big sook.

In The Ollie Whines Lounge, you can bleat and moan to your heart's content, free from the judgement of others. Never again will your insistence that you "knew Wines would be a star" fall on deaf, uninterested ears.

Enjoy our unrivalled selection of tissues and hard liquor.

Relax on our vinyl couches where the tears just roll right off.

For the dead eye dicks, you will find our dart boards, each with a bullseye featuring either Mark Neeld or that awful Jimmy Toumpas. Show your friends who really wanted Wines more.

After hours and feeling that impending mix of sadness and anger? Retreat to our Self Flagellation Room (proudly sponsored by BBO).

Whine in comfort and style in The Ollie Whines Lounge.

And when you leave, please, for the love of god, shut the [censored] up about Ollie Wines.

Still a very awesome OP

• Like 7

Kick, [censored] - whatever..

Although nowadays, flogging a dead horse brings about all sorts of connotations.

ED: Lol, there you have it. "Fl og" is censored.

[censored] me.

Hence the kick, apparently [censored] is offensive. I think it was brought on because of people calling Demonfrog a Demonflog.

I'm currently working on a flux capacitor so we can go back in time and choose Wines.

Does anyone have a spare DeLorean?

*Apparently my Demonflog theory was incorrect.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 2

P-Man I wish you every success with the continued popularity of the OW Lounge. What an exciting development and long overdue for many disgruntled Demonlanders. I hope that it quickly becomes a haven for all those amateur recruiters out there. Imagine that ill-informed people actually exist who could have believed that Whitfiel, O'Rourke, Plowman, Toumpas, Stringer or Macrae could have represented a better choice than this out-and-out little Champion, clearly the "Player of the Century"! I hope that you rapidly develop a massive membership, that they are all happy drowning themselves on the best whines that this great country produces and that they never wish to ever leave the sanctuary of the Lounge!

Edited by CBDees
  • Like 1

Hopefully we learn from our mistakes and move on. The continuation of the Wines v Toumpas thread is truly ridiculous.

Now don't be a fl og Ethan! Half of my posts are "truly ridiculous " so don't encourage people to think that particular category is in anyway misguided!

• Like 3

What annoyed me about this decision was my right or wrong perception that Neeld and co were deliberately being hip and 'counterintuitive' ie not picking Wines for the very fact that he was a demon supporter/friend of Viney - Need also coming from 'outside the system'. ... if any of this makes sense.

Makes sense but is completely wrong.

The reason Toumpas was taken is he was rated by all the experts as a higher rated player than Wines - that simple. Even young Viney is on record prior to the draft when asked who he would take without hesitation said Toumpas.

There has been numerous debates around whether picking the "higher rated" is the way to go. Toumpas may or may not turn out to be good as Wines. As is stands today and now - this is one more example of a lower rated player shining brighter than his more highly fancied draft picks.

• Like 4

If we had of drafted Wines, perhaps we would have won more games in 2014 and then we wouldn't of had the draft picks enabling us to get Petracca and Brayshaw...

A bird in the hand is always better than two in the bush.

Well well well,

Ollie Wines Bigger, Stronger, Fitter, in short a human wrecking ball

Elevated to Leadership group eh!

Ah what could have been for us!

Sigh!

The plan from the start was to get him as a FA when he's at his peak.

That way we'll have him and Toumpas. It's a water tight plan.

• Like 3

The plan from the start was to get him as a FA when he's at his peak.

That way we'll have him and Toumpas. It's a water tight plan.

I assume that is your humour at work there ET.

In six years (UFA time) Ollie will probably have a brownlow, be a premiership player and be Port's captain. When his next contract expires (3yrs maybe) they will sign him up for 6-8 years. Port player for life!!

I assume that is your humour at work there ET.

In six years (UFA time) Ollie will probably have a brownlow, be a premiership player and be Port's captain. When his next contract expires (3yrs maybe) they will sign him up for 6-8 years. Port player for life!!

Yep just like everyone else in the competition, Judd, Franklin, Ablett, Goddard etc.. not taking the money and switching clubs via FA.. what dreamworld do you live in

Port player for life!!

That should read "Port player for the life of the contract (unless there is the Boyd get out of contract clause )"

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 1

Yep just like everyone else in the competition, Judd, Franklin, Ablett, Goddard etc.. not taking the money and switching clubs via FA.. what dreamworld do you live in

That should read "Port player for the life of the contract (unless there is the Boyd get out of contract clause )"

I live in the world that has seen Nat Jones, Trent Cotchin, Tom Hawkins (soon) Joel Selwood etc forsake the potential open market $. Not to mention those that go to a club for finals on lower $ offers - Lake, Frawley, Rivers (maybe). Just as many in this world as there is in the $ chaser's world you mention.

Keep in mind that Judd, Franklin, Ablett, Goddard probably didn't earn a hell of lot early in their careers. Different landscape now. Port has probably already started to stack Ollie's contract with $, do the same (in say 3 years) then more $ at the end of that to lock him for another6-8 years. ie they can spread the $ over his career if money is his prime motivator.

IMO clubs will really start to be creative with their star players very early in their careers rather than wait till they get near the 6-8 year point. This is especially so now that 'star' players can get tax breaks for up to 30% of their contract value http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-11/players-tax-win

Clubs can set them up for life early on so less incentive to chase the FA $. It may only happen for the top echelon players at each club but I suggest this is the way of the future. We are doing it with Hogan.

I live in the world that has seen Nat Jones, Trent Cotchin, Tom Hawkins (soon) Joel Selwood etc forsake the potential open market $. Not to mention those that go to a club for finals on lower $ offers - Lake, Frawley, Rivers (maybe). Just as many in this world as there is in the $ chaser's world you mention.

Keep in mind that Judd, Franklin, Ablett, Goddard probably didn't earn a hell of lot early in their careers. Different landscape now. Port has probably already started to stack Ollie's contract with $, do the same (in say 3 years) then more $ at the end of that to lock him for another6-8 years. ie they can spread the $ over his career if money is his prime motivator.

IMO clubs will really start to be creative with their star players very early in their careers rather than wait till they get near the 6-8 year point. This is especially so now that 'star' players can get tax breaks for up to 30% of their contract value http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-11/players-tax-win

Clubs can set them up for life early on so less incentive to chase the FA $. It may only happen for the top echelon players at each club but I suggest this is the way of the future. We are doing it with Hogan.

Are we doing that with Hogan ?

Setting a star up for life is good in theory but is fraught with danger. Giving a player long term contracts ( more than 4 years and even that is long ) with the crash and bash their bodies take ? Big risk that clubs are adverse to taking.

Then there is a question of how brightly the star will shine and for how long.

I will admit that Wines looks very good - would I give him a creative contract for a very long period of time. Not sure I would.

Well well well,

Ollie Wines Bigger, Stronger, Fitter, in short a human wrecking ball

Elevated to Leadership group eh!

Ah what could have been for us!

Sigh!

It deeply pains me to say this picket, but i think you were right on this one, i'm not giving up on young jimmy but my goodness does Ollie look the goods.

Anyone got any idea on how to build a time machine? got back and change a few of these draft selections? haha

Setting a star up for life is good in theory but is fraught with danger. Giving a player long term contracts ( more than 4 years and even that is long ) with the crash and bash their bodies take ? Big risk that clubs are adverse to taking.

I will admit that Wines looks very good - would I give him a creative contract for a very long period of time. Not sure I would.

Exactly

Trengove is a good example for injury reasons. Cale Morton was highly rated in his first 2 years but never came on. Taking a pretty big risk just assuming a kid is going to be an a-lister his whole career

I recall that we extended Hogan's contract and the figure in the press was $500k pa.

Agreed setting up a star for life is fraught with danger but the following have received 5+ years: Scully, Ablett, Franklin, Jones, Crotchin, Hawkins, Boyd and I guess there are others.

Sad to say but that is the risk assessment clubs need to now make: long, substantial $ contract vs risk of injury vs losing the player to FA. Not saying I like it but that seems to be an outcome of various AFL rules. I wasn't suggesting Wines get a long contract now but when his current contract expires (possibly in 3 years). He will then be 23 and 1 year from UFA and 3 years from FA. It is then that a long contract is likely to be offered to keep him at the club. Similar to what we just did with Jones.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

I don't believe Port made an incorrect call in his leadership group inclusion.

I do believe an incorrect call was made in resurrecting this thread.

He's a Port player in the AFL, always has been. Get over it.

The thread was started specifically for people who can't get over it.

I don't believe Port made an incorrect call in his leadership group inclusion.

I do believe an incorrect call was made in resurrecting this thread.

He's a Port player in the AFL, always has been. Get over it.

Just a slight correction. He hasn't always been a port player and it was the time immediately prior to him becoming a port player that keeps this thread alive.

As far as get over it goes, well I feel there are different levels of "get over it".

I'm past the "I can't believe we didn't draft Ollie, gee I hope it doesn't come back to bite us, he was Viney's mate and a competitive beast from all reports"

I'm also past the "It has come back to bite us what were we thinking?". (for the most part anyway)

But I still suffer from the effects of horrifically disturbed Dees nostalgia that creeps into the minds of most Dees supporters. You know the feeling, sitting around chatting with your mates about draft wins and our stories are all the ones about coulda, shoulda but didn't type disturbed reflections.

That's where my level of "get over it" sits, almost cured but still bear the scars.

I recall that we extended Hogan's contract and the figure in the press was $500k pa.

Agreed setting up a star for life is fraught with danger but the following have received 5+ years: Scully, Ablett, Franklin, Jones, Crotchin, Hawkins, Boyd and I guess there are others.

Sad to say but that is the risk assessment clubs need to now make: long, substantial $ contract vs risk of injury vs losing the player to FA. Not saying I like it but that seems to be an outcome of various AFL rules. I wasn't suggesting Wines get a long contract now but when his current contract expires (possibly in 3 years). He will then be 23 and 1 year from UFA and 3 years from FA. It is then that a long contract is likely to be offered to keep him at the club. Similar to what we just did with Jones.

I think we extended Hogan for two years ( correct me if I am wrong - but I don't think we have locked him in super long term).

Rather than lock in players for contracts of the length of Franklins I prefer the other option of extending out the contract in the second last year of the existing contract. Problem is that not all players will do that as that may not maximum their return,

• 1 month later...