Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHRISTIAN PETRACCA

Demonland

I hope this kid can deal with the hype of going number one, to be compared with Dusty Martins speed and Ollie Wines Power wont be easy to live up to expectations.

Our consecutive number 1 picks were compared to Nick Riewoldt and Chris Judd, so really Martin and Wines should be easy enough!

Petracca has the body (particularly after a solid preseason building fitness) to impact early. And he has the ball winning ability. That's really his strength - he can win it in the air or on the ground better than any kid, so he should be fine. And because he's come from the background of a forward he will start there before moving up the ground. Really in a lot of ways he's very well suited to the number 1 pick.

• Like 1

Howe stunk as a forward this year but has been better in the past,and Garlett only helps if he's out of his 2014 headspace. Dawes may be aided by fitness and/or Hogan taking another tall...

We could and should improve but it's a lot of ifs and buts - I'm not saying we will be as crud as we were last year in the forward 50, I'm just prepared for the fact that at times we might be. If Hogan was a 50-100 game veteran I'd be more confident.

And none of that would influence my decision on McCartin vs Petracca

Please remind me how many games Jeremy played as a forward this year?

• Like 2

Surely the fact that the Saints we're offered Pick 4 & 7 for Pick 1 means that Petracca is a lock for 1?

If they were after a forward at 1 then they could have opted for Wright (4) and snagged a decent mid at (7).

Saints will take Petracca at 1, we'll take Brayshaw at 2, but given Roo's comments regarding teenage talls I don't really consider McCartin a lock at 3. Roos knows how desperate we (fans) are to start playing competitively sooner rather than later. I'd like him, though he looks sluggish to me on his highlights reel, but what the hell do I know? Wouldn't be surprised if we pull someone out of the hat at 3.

Question: if we do recruit Mc Cartin how many games will he play in 2015?

Surely the fact that the Saints we're offered Pick 4 & 7 for Pick 1 means that Petracca is a lock for 1?

If they were after a forward at 1 then they could have opted for Wright (4) and snagged a decent mid at (7).

Saints will take Petracca at 1, we'll take Brayshaw at 2, but given Roo's comments regarding teenage talls I don't really consider McCartin a lock at 3. Roos knows how desperate we (fans) are to start playing competitively sooner rather than later. I'd like him, though he looks sluggish to me on his highlights reel, but what the hell do I know? Wouldn't be surprised if we pull someone out of the hat at 3.

Probably 0-5 if Dawes and Hogan stay healthy and McCartin has as much work on his game required as we think he does.

But no draftee should be expected to improve the side in year 1 and Roos knows that and showed it with patience with Salem last year.

Brayshaw has the body and competitiveness to play, but there's no guarantee anyone else like De Goey, Laverde, Duggan, Pickett etc would settle in to playing and making an impact in year one either.

We've got 2 later picks and 2 rookie spots if we want to find some more ready to go help.

• Like 1

McCartin reminds me a bit of Jack Darling in both looks and attitude. Both are strong, aggressive at the man and ball and have good hands. Neither seem to possess a backward step.

Obviously it is difficult to know if Paddy can step straight up into an AFL side. By the sounds of it he will need to work hard on his endurance running but Roos proved last year with JKH that he will promote first year players into the side despite preferring they serve apprenticeships at a lower level.

If Paddy can have an uninterrupted pre-season then I think he could surprise and play half a dozen or so games.

By the way, Darling played 23 in his first season

• Like 3

Probably 0-5 if Dawes and Hogan stay healthy and McCartin has as much work on his game required as we think he does.

I would think more if we pick him up. McCartin is already better in the air and his leading patterns are better than Dawes. Dawes has a mature AFL body but it does seem to let him down a bit.

Darling was an 800m runner who was capable of playing as a big midfielder as a junior; McCartin has shown no such capability, and is significantly larger and more lumbering.

If we were examining an 18 year old D Breterton I wonder what we would be saying. Undersized for a key position, not quick, can't play mid field, can't play back. Let's move on. But hold on he is a natural forward, he has heeps of mongrel and can take a contested mark and kick a goal. What do we do now?

Is there some way of testing for that mental capacity to compete that the likes of Brereton, Hodge, Selwood and others have/had to get to every contest? If there is I wish we knew it because if you get one or two of those characters on your list and you are off and running.

• Like 4

Darling was an 800m runner who was capable of playing as a big midfielder as a junior; McCartin has shown no such capability, and is significantly larger and more lumbering.

McCartin is more of a footballer than Darling. Jack Darling is an athlete - and a VERY good one.

But judging solely from a football perspective, McCartin has superior hands to Darling and much better football smarts.

Darling is just big and quick, but he lacks brains and is a bit rigid under the ball - we won't have that problem with McCartin.

• Like 2

McCartin is a pure footballer. He is not an athlete but would have immediate impact.

I am over take athletes that can't play football, would much rather take a purist footballer

I believe that we will take McCartin but immediate impact ?

Please name the last key position footballer taken in the draft that had an immediate impact

(if you can name one then I will name you the other 98% that took until 21-22 of age at least before they had the immediate impact you speak of)

• Like 1

Please name the last key position footballer taken in the draft that had an immediate impact

(if you can name one then I will name you the other 98% that took until 21-22 of age at least before they had the immediate impact you speak of)

Of course you can but the really good ones make an impact early in their careers. Brown, Brereton, Lockett for example made an impact early.

The good thing about Hogan and McCartin is they are hard at it competitors (mongrels), a thing they share in common with the above players. I reckon it's these types that make it early.

Jeremy Cameron is another that made an early impact but I wouldn't put him in the mongrel category although he is no shrinking violet when it comes to standing his ground.

Johnathon Brown.

If we were examining an 18 year old D Breterton I wonder what we would be saying. Undersized for a key position, not quick, can't play mid field, can't play back. Let's move on. But hold on he is a natural forward, he has heeps of mongrel and can take a contested mark and kick a goal. What do we do now?

Is there some way of testing for that mental capacity to compete that the likes of Brereton, Hodge, Selwood and others have/had to get to every contest? If there is I wish we knew it because if you get one or two of those characters on your list and you are off and running.

Intriguing "what if" Earl.

Brereton was the CHF of his generation. He played in 5 premierships, was a 9 time State of Origin player and was All Australian. He was a great mark and loved kicking pressure goals. He relished contact and performing on the biggest stage.

How would he go today? At 186cm he is the same height as Dom Tyson. Petracca and Brayshaw. So where would Dermott play today? No doubt he would reinvent himself but it is difficult to see him being the dominant player he was just 25 years ago

• Like 1

I agree to a certain point.

He will be joining one of the lowest scoring teams in the game's history. Dawes lead the tally last season with 20. Jeremy Cameron in his debut season kicked 29.

The bar isn't being set all that high for Hogan and/or McCartin to have an immediate impact.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 1

If we get McCartin he wont make an immediate impact for a very simple reason.He wont be allowed to. Roos won't let him out there till hes put at least half a dozen magoo efforts under his belt and put his hand up.

• Like 1