Ryan O'Keefe

dazzledavey36

I agree with the notion of bring ROK in as a development coach. He's another who understands the standards they need to set to be competitive at the top level. THere would have to be a question of whether he'd want to move down from Sydney, but to work under Roos for a year or two would be a big temptation for him.

His playing days are over in my eyes...

I'm all for bringing him over for a coaching/development role, I just doubt he'd want to continue playing beyond this year.

yeah, coaching only, this is his last year

• 1 month later...

he'd easily be in our best 22.

he's one of the fittest blokes going around. it's not proven that he's lost a yard of pace - he had a bad start to the year and it's not just tom mitchell who has been piling up big numbers in the neafl (although nowhere near - mitchell's was a extraordinary achievement).

would have him in a heartbeat next year.

Edited by DemonAndrew

he'd easily be in our best 22.

he's one of the fittest blokes going around. it's not proven that he's lost a yard of pace - he had a bad start to the year and it's not just tom mitchell who has been piling up big numbers in the neafl (although nowhere near - mitchell's was a extraordinary achievement).

would have him in a heartbeat next year.

If we didn't have Cross it would be an easier case to argue 'Andrew' but we do and he's our man.

• Like 1

yeah, i still maintain o'keefe would be in our side.

his experience is invaluable.

i'd be much more comfortable with him in the side than bail or matt jones, for instance. and i think both of those guys would make the side. he'd be the first player i'd select of our 'depth' to bring in to give salem and potentially jkh a full game at a lower level this week.

his determination to prove the swans next year is exactly why i could see him playing for us, not to mention his history with roos and the majority of our coaching staff.

he wasn't awful by any means last year, and he won the norm smith the previous grand final to that./

yeah, i still maintain o'keefe would be in our side.

his experience is invaluable.

i'd be much more comfortable with him in the side than bail or matt jones, for instance. and i think both of those guys would make the side. he'd be the first player i'd select of our 'depth' to bring in to give salem and potentially jkh a full game at a lower level this week.

his determination to prove the swans next year is exactly why i could see him playing for us, not to mention his history with roos and the majority of our coaching staff.

he wasn't awful by any means last year, and he won the norm smith the previous grand final to that./

I've got no doubt he would be in our best 22 now but he's not right for the mix of our side, particularly next year. If we had a stand alone VFL team and he was taken on board as a playing development coach working in the VFL and not on the AFL list I would say when can he sign but that's not going to happen.

• Like 1

yeah, i just still think he'd offer something at afl level as well, you can never have too much depth.

I think he could still do it at AFL level and he may still get the chance to show it as the year goes on at the Swans. As for depth, we can't afford to have too much depth over 30. Only my opinion but as I posted before Cross is our man and we won't need another. Our list will be further enhanced (I hope) in the next draft trade period so we will need space for a new crop of kids and hopefully some more in the 20-24 yo group.

Anyone still keen on having him as a playing development coach like Luke Power and James McDonald were for GWS?

absolutely,, never stopped wanting him to come over... finally we have the opportunity to go Outside our own culture for the first time in virtually 20 years.

... We have the opportunity to really get Rid of the soft, & 'near enough' culture, & we have to bring in the people with the right stuff, to bring in the type of Culture we need, into Our fold, so our kids can learn from Pro's, with strong Winning club ways.

He would have to be one of the better guys, & can still play. just can't get into the rapidly developing Swans best 22, as it is now. we all new buddy & Tippett would tip out some players, well RO'K would be One well worth the experience, & I'm sure others will follow his lead along the track.

I can see getting ROK coming as an assistant and hopefully dragging a few players!

Im sure Tom Mitchell is sick of playing twos!!

there ya go, exactly LO.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

yeah, i just still think he'd offer something at afl level as well, you can never have too much depth.

He would for sure, but just not for 23 games; more like 13 games-ish, which would be absolutely a perfect fit for us, to have his help in the Red&Blue Jumper, to help our young ones, & we help him to 300 big ones, along the way.

When he's at Casey is where he will be the biggest help as well, really showing & giving True Leadership only a 300 game veteran can to our new kids coming along. OnField leadership.

Age is not fair, I think if he passed a robust examination a playing coach in the VFL would be perfect and every so often he could sub for Cross. Cross is a bloody miracle with how well he is playing especially with how often he goes 'inside'. I met a few of the Sydney guys when my brother was playing up in NSW and I thought they were robust, I wouldn't mind a few and he has covered himself in glory. I reckon he'd find the fire for a few games as well when we had key outs, him or Blease, who would you take, even at 34?

A lot of people thought Chappy had most of his good playing days behind him and he has been on fire.

Throw in how old Fletcher is and how well Cross has done and there is a case for players like ROK.

Ultimately ROK would be a band-aid solution. He would be replacing a spot on the list which could otherwise be taken by a young player who the club could get 5-10 years out of, not 1.

BUT, are there players on our list which I don't think have a long-term future which he could replace.

This all rests on a lot of factors but I think it's pretty interesting.

• Like 1

A lot of people thought Chappy had most of his good playing days behind him and he has been on fire.

Throw in how old Fletcher is and how well Cross has done and there is a case for players like ROK.

Ultimately ROK would be a band-aid solution. He would be replacing a spot on the list which could otherwise be taken by a young player who the club could get 5-10 years out of, not 1.

BUT, are there players on our list which I don't think have a long-term future which he could replace.

This all rests on a lot of factors but I think it's pretty interesting.

Who thought Chappy was passed it? Injury and suspension prone for sure but he was best on for the cats in finals last year. Fletcher is such an outlier, but he plays back pocket, probably the only position where you can have limited athleticism and fitness and survive if you still have a bit of speed and read the game exceptionally well.

We don't actually have that many out of contract players. And depending on Frawley we could only end up seeing 6 or 7 out at the end of the year. If we replace the first 5 of those with draft picks, trades and the elevation of Nev Jetta then there's potentially 1 spot for a recycled player like Cross or Aidan Riley were this year.

And with Cross going on for another year and a glut of similarly paced inside midfielders like McKenzie, Riley and Michie pressing to fit in the same team I think O'Keefe wouldn't offer us much in on field improvement.

I'd be looking for an experienced player at half back, wing or half forward with some skill and pace to boost those areas of the ground. Someone who can push Matt Jones, Bail and the kids we have in those spots