Why is it so?

ihatesnakes

Why is it so........

I believe professor Julias Sumner Miller said this on his interesting programme.

My why is it so:

Why is it that St Kilda who sit on the bottom of the ladder are able to slaughter a so called top 4 side so easily..... They (the saints) supposedly have a shite list, nothing to play for, maybe would like to stay on the bottom of the ladder for a PP, whatever but come out and destroy Freo.

Come to think of it, when was the last time our team destroyed anyone? Was it the finals 1987?

Yes, we made a fantastic come back in one game in recent times, kicked 12 goals in a quarter but still won by just a few points..........

Enlighten me please.

• Like 2

Why is it so........

I believe professor Julias Sumner Miller said this on his interesting programme.

My why is it so:

Why is it that St Kilda who sit on the bottom of the ladder are able to slaughter a so called top 4 side so easily..... They (the saints) supposedly have a shite list, nothing to play for, maybe would like to stay on the bottom of the ladder for a PP, whatever but come out and destroy Freo.

Come to think of it, when was the last time our team destroyed anyone? Was it the finals 1987?

Yes, we made a fantastic come back in one game in recent times, kicked 12 goals in a quarter but still won by just a few points..........

Enlighten me please.

Last I can remember is against the crows in 2010 I think.

We belted them it was beautiful but our form didn't last unfortunately.

Yesterday's result certainly came out of nowhere. We smashed a couple of sides in 2010 when we were semi decent. But as for all the other years when we have been terrible, I can't remember us coming out and unexpectedly pummelling anyone.

If nothing else, it makes me a lot more optimistic about our chances against Port. Say what you will about our form and our side; St Kilda have been consistently worse all season, and the ladder supports that.

• Like 1

St Kilda still has several players with Grand Final experience, Reiwoldt, Montagna and Hayes are all elite players, and they heavily relied on these guys to beat Freo. Of course they're also about to retire soon which means that the saints could bottom out even further. We're ahead of them development wise.

St Kilda still has several players with Grand Final experience, Reiwoldt, Montagna and Hayes are all elite players, and they heavily relied on these guys to beat Freo. Of course they're also about to retire soon which means that the saints could bottom out even further. We're ahead of them development wise.

Ironically when they beat us in Round 1 they had 5 debutantes and no Stevens, no Hayes and no Montagna....

Their mad rush for top 20 draft picks last season doesn't seem to insane. I'd like to see Roos take the same approach this season, because whilst I think he is a good coach, I think he is an even better developer (just look at Sydney's depth).

Got to try and get some value from fringe players. It's a tall order to get something for players who can't get a game in one of the worst lists in the league.

• Like 1

Ironically when they beat us in Round 1 they had 5 debutantes and no Stevens, no Hayes and no Montagna....

Their mad rush for top 20 draft picks last season doesn't seem to insane. I'd like to see Roos take the same approach this season, because whilst I think he is a good coach, I think he is an even better developer (just look at Sydney's depth).

Got to try and get some value from fringe players. It's a tall order to get something for players who can't get a game in one of the worst lists in the league.

To be fair we also had outs too, Jamar, Dawes, Viney, Kent, etc. We also had debutants and first Melbourne year players in Viv, Tyson, etc, who are all still young with the exception of obviously Vince and Cross.

I thought the same thing myself. Its never us...

And we always seem to play teams back into form. Will never forget in 92 or 93 when the swans had lost 23 in a row and smashed us on their 'one chance to play at the MCG'

We are a mentally weak club and have been for a long time. Talking top ex players they all say the same thing. Get on top of us and we go to water basically. I have heard it so many times now it makes me sick.

Even good sides like Freo succumb to it as they did yesterday but ours is such a long history of it its galling.

What year did we smash the Swans by 70? 2010 I think.

Round 17,2010 - Dees 22.10.142 Swans 10.9.69.

Brad Green dominated up forward with 5.

Only 8 players from that performance remain on our list.

Edited by gsmith12

I thought the same thing myself. Its never us...

And we always seem to play teams back into form. Will never forget in 92 or 93 when the swans had lost 23 in a row and smashed us on their 'one chance to play at the MCG'

We are a mentally weak club and have been for a long time. Talking top ex players they all say the same thing. Get on top of us and we go to water basically. I have heard it so many times now it makes me sick.

Even good sides like Freo succumb to it as they did yesterday but ours is such a long history of it its galling.

That is not so.

In round 14,1998 we visited Subiaco as complete underdogs and rolled the Eagles by 17 points with Robbo BOG.

Entering round 10, 2012 We were last and Essendon on top yet we won by 6 poionts.

There are other examples.

Yes we are going through a diobolical period but to suggest we have a long history of weakness is simply incorrect.

That is not so.

In round 14,1998 we visited Subiaco as complete underdogs and rolled the Eagles by 17 points with Robbo BOG.

Entering round 10, 2012 We were last and Essendon on top yet we won by 6 poionts.

Yes we are going through a diobolical period but to suggest we have a long history of weakness is simply incorrect.

it most certainly is correct.

That is not so.

Agree with this. Sure, when we have been up there have been prime examples of dropping 'easy' games (Losing to the Blues in twice in 2006, Being smashed by the Swans at the 'G leading into the 2002 finals etc). However, there are plenty of games in the past 20-25 years where as underdogs we have knocked off more fancied opponents.

A prime example is Round 19 1996,3rd last with only 5 wins and having lost to the eventual premiers and runners up by a combined 176 points in the previous 2 weeks, we came out and jumped the 4th placed Blues to lead by 50 points before withstanding a Carlton comeback to run out 19 point winners.

http://demonwiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=Round+19+1996

The last 8 years have muddied the memories of many, but we haven't always been as bad as have seen over the past couple of years.

Edited by DemonWorshipper

That is not so.

Love the sentiment, but our recent history suggests that we generally don't win these games at all. We've won a few but there are far more that we've lost.

I guess you could throw in the 2002 example when we won against the Lions at the GABBA with Neitz kicking 7. One of my all time favourite games that one. We can do it, we just don't do it very often.

Edited by Wiseblood

Love the sentiment, but our recent history suggests that we generally don't win these games at all. We've won a few but there are far more that we've lost.

I guess you could throw in the 2002 example when we won against the Lions at the GABBA with Neitz kicking 7. One of my all time favourite games that one. We can do it, we just don't do it very often.

Exactly, when the Lions were at the peak of their power, I witnessed the game when we came from 40 points down in the second to over run Brisbane by 21 points.

Neitz 7 Ward 4.

My comments were based on the earlier remark that it's never us that wins when unexpected.

Exactly, when the Lions were at the peak of their power, I witnessed the game when we came from 40 points down in the second to over run Brisbane by 21 points.

Neitz 7 Ward 4.

My comments were based on the earlier remark that it's never us that wins when unexpected.

All teams win unexpectedly, it just seems that we don't do it as often as other teams. DemonWorshipper mentioned above that our recent history has probably muddied our view of this and he is pretty much spot on.

But I also fall into the category of seeing what has occured this round, the upset wins and GWS running the Cats all the way, and I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that we won't come close to matching those previous 3 games. I'll be ecstatic to be proved wrong but, as I said earlier, our last decade of football doesn't provide us with as much hope as we would like.

All teams win unexpectedly, it just seems that we don't do it as often as other teams. DemonWorshipper mentioned above that our recent history has probably muddied our view of this and he is pretty much spot on.

But I also fall into the category of seeing what has occured this round, the upset wins and GWS running the Cats all the way, and I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that we won't come close to matching those previous 3 games. I'll be ecstatic to be proved wrong but, as I said earlier, our last decade of football doesn't provide us with as much hope as we would like.

Didn't we run Port all the way in Alice ?

You mention GWS running tha Cats all the way for any reason ?

Then you missed my point. I was trying to say that we wouldn't match the overall tone of the round so far as we rarely seem to do it. You brought up a game from 2 months ago. I don't know where else to go with it.

To be fair we also had outs too, Jamar, Dawes, Viney, Kent, etc. We also had debutants and first Melbourne year players in Viv, Tyson, etc, who are all still young with the exception of obviously Vince and Cross.

We still had Jones, Vince, Cross, Dunn, Frawley, Grimes, Watts, McDonald, Trengrove, Howe, and Pedersen

Billings, Delaney, Dunstan and Templeton had never played an AFL game before and it was their first year in the system (compared to Tyson's 3 years and Michie's 4, injuries noted but they are still 3-4 years older)

I get what you mean, and to be fair we also had Garland and Hogan out, but I think people need to have some perspective when talking about St Kilda's list; they still beat us when seriously undermanned with very little experience.

That is not so.

Thx Smthy I was kind of referring to the smashing teams bit rather than the skinny win.

The Swans win was one of the few I remember like that.