Potential future at Melbourne University

Axis of Bob

I think it's a great idea. The Uni of Melbourne is a leading, actually, it's THE leading university it Australia. It is rich with history, and (in it's own category) it IS Melbourne. There are a lot of similarities between the Uni of Melbourne and the MFC.

It will give us exposure to a whole new potential membership base, where the "local members" won't have to drive an hour out the road to feel part of the club.

Universities like the Uni of Melbourne attract experts of their field. For us to have access to some of these experts, through sports science/medical/etc is potentially a massive boost that our FD could have access to, without the need to spend millions of dollars getting it.

Is it building our "Melbourne" brand in the CBD? Well, it aint a Collins Street address, so I guess not directly. But learning from an organisation that leverages the word "Melbourne" in their name on an international level is something that we could benefit from.

I'll watch this space, but I'm very interested with the initial reports, and look forward to hearing about this in more detail.

• Like 3

Anyone thinking that being at the Uni will suddenly cough up 1000's of supporters is crazy.

It wont build the brand in my mind it will confuse it.. Melbourne Uni Footy Club ??

What can be done there that cant be done by not being there ?

A tie up with the Learning Institution and closer ties or whatever by all means but I really see no advantage at all there.

Its actually FURTHER from the CBD and heart of the game than we are presently and less access to transport.

Cant say Im a fan of this at all.

I think the main problem is space. We should have taken the Lexus Centre when we had the chance. We should have been the first one banging the State governements door down as the sporting precinct was being developed but we may have missed that boat. I cant see anywhere around the G where we can centralise the whole club, admin and FD in one place, The FD share with the Storm, the Rebels and the Victory with no room forn anything else. We need a centralised Club with state of the art facilities including a training ground and if possible a social club that is in or near the CBD. I agree Melb UNi is not the CBD but short of other options it may be the best one.

It's about 15 minutes walk, or 5 to 10 minute tram ride from the CBD. How much closer could it be?

I also don't get how some think it's in Carlton's area. As if Gosch's isn't the very poor second cousin to Collingwood and Lexus, and Richmond at Punt Road. The Uni would be unequivocally Melbourne's, not in a 'precinct', just one of a bunch of other teams and codes. Also, it fits with the notion that MFC, being the oldest/inaugural club, sets up where one of the other 2 initial clubs (killed off by WW2, albeit still alive in the amateurs) began (Geelong being the other of the 3). If I was being crazily romantic about history, maybe ditching Casey and having the 'Melbourne Uni Demons' as our stand alone VFL side would be an idea! Too much?

Its it carltons area for the simple reason it is.

• Like 1

Conceptually sounds interesting. Social Club?

and where would you get parking for an extra 100+ people?

would need a decent sized car park for the players to practice their doughnuts

where would the uni blacks and blues train. and the uni cricket and athletics teams. there is one oval and one hockey pitch for 10s of thousands of students

• Like 1

Anyone thinking that being at the Uni will suddenly cough up 1000's of supporters is crazy.

It wont build the brand in my mind it will confuse it.. Melbourne Uni Footy Club ??

A tie up with the Learning Institution and closer ties or whatever by all means but I really see no advantage at all there.

Its actually FURTHER from the CBD and heart of the game than we are presently and less access to transport.

Try walking from GPO to Gosch's, as compared to Melb. Uni. Or tram, or bike, or whatever. It's closer to Melb Uni.

Its it carltons area for the simple reason it is.

No, it isn't Carlton. It's Parkville.

Sad thing though Beelzy is that besides RMIT there is no real uni in the CBD or institution full stop with those kinds of facilities. RMIT itself is scattered through all kinds of different buildings up Swanston street and has nothing close to the ovals and what have you UoM has. On top of that, keep in mind that there are no other facilities in the CBD besides AAMI park that could house us. I'm not a big one for moving further out into the suburbs.

I did do my usual stir the pot bit about private schools but this does make some sense. Keep in mind Melbourne Uni is almost like a city within a Uni. Going there reminds me of how much I missed out on as a student. NAB branches, travel agents and Japanese restaurants are amongst the world class research facilities. I am yet to see the footy oval but if it's there (with a half decent gym/fitness centre), then I am for this.

Would have thought that AAMI Park is closer to CBD than Parkville, Cudi.

Any move must include:

- A1 facilities much better than AAMI Park/Gosches Paddock.

- makes very good financial sense.

- 12 mth access for preseason with potential for exclusive use.

- be near the MCG, because we are part of the MCC.

The push to have a home in the CBD seems more based upon romance than anything else IMO. Where is any form of modelling or research that says it would be such a great idea (apart from G Bartlett proposing a Collins St address)? Whorethorne, Collingwood, St Kilda and Essendon have either moved from their suburbs or are in the process of moving. Look what happened to the last VFL/AFL team that was based at Melbourne Uni....

War deaths decimated them. That's why they folded at that time. WW1 that is.

Sad thing though Beelzy is that besides RMIT there is no real uni in the CBD or institution full stop with those kinds of facilities. RMIT itself is scattered through all kinds of different buildings up Swanston street and has nothing close to the ovals and what have you UoM has. On top of that, keep in mind that there are no other facilities in the CBD besides AAMI park that could house us. I'm not a big one for moving further out into the suburbs.

I did do my usual stir the pot bit about private schools but this does make some sense. Keep in mind Melbourne Uni is almost like a city within a Uni. Going there reminds me of how much I missed out on as a student. NAB branches, travel agents and Japanese restaurants are amongst the world class research facilities. I am yet to see the footy oval but if it's there (with a half decent gym/fitness centre), then I am for this.

Im not sure what any of that has to do with anything.

Its been suggested apparently that a tie in with Melb Uni helps denote some connect of the MFC with this city. Im sorry I just cant see how that works.

if you want to build a brand you do it with relevance and marketing. Not by setting up at the Uni

I like this idea, we could potentially even use the alignment with the university to try develop kids on scholarships through the university, similair to the way they use the college system in the states.

• Like 2

I like this idea, we could potentially even use the alignment with the university to try develop kids on scholarships through the university, similair to the way they use the college system in the states.

Again you can do all of this without actually being there

• Like 1

I am an employee of The University of Melbourne at the Sport Department here.

I can't go into too much detail, but there have been official meetings between the club and the University. These have mainly been around research and an education partnership for players and administration (like the Uni has with the Melbourne Rebels) - as far as I'm aware there's never been any proposal or thought broached about moving the club here and building a facility, which would obviously be a huge investment. I don't know who thought of 'the move' but it definitely hasn't been on the agenda.

Someone making a mountain out of a molehill I think. I just can't see it happening.

• Like 7

if you want to build a brand you do it with relevance and marketing. Not by setting up at the Uni

I would have thought that setting up at the Uni. would have been good marketing. We are establishing a partnership with the most prestigious uni in Melbourne and are close to our heartland.

Relevance is another issue but as far as marketing goes, I thought this would have been a good idea.

I would have thought that setting up at the Uni. would have been good marketing. We are establishing a partnership with the most prestigious uni in Melbourne and are close to our heartland.

Relevance is another issue but as far as marketing goes, I thought this would have been a good idea.

marketing to whom ?

If we did have a "precinct" it is in South Yarra, Prahran and Caulfield.

I can imagine parkville enticing to those that live North of the city.

That said, If there were better opportunities to attend training anywhere within 5 kms of the city and the club actually provided for fans to help attend i.e. afternoon sessions and food and toilet facilities, Id go there.

marketing to whom ?

The crap load of people who go to Melbourne Uni for one. People who live in the CBD and in that area. The buttload of international students who go to Melbourne Uni. Plus our natural constituency of old school tie types.

Again you can do all of this without actually being there

Having the presence makes a big difference.

The pros out weigh the cons here, outside of location it looks better. Melbourne uni is the first stopping point for thousands of international students a year. Many who stay in Melbourne after they graduate. Would be great exposure for the first team they see are the dees training at full pace during O week. The dees would not get that type of posure where they are now. The current locatiom is just a more convenient location for existing members, however it will not have as much growth compared to being down at Melb uni.

Edited by olisik

The pros out weigh the cons here, outside of location it looks better. Melbourne uni is the first stopping point for thousands of international students a year. Many who stay in Melbourne after they graduate. Would be great exposure for the first team they see are the dees training at full pace during O week. The dees would not get that type of posure where they are now. The current locatiom is just a more convenient location for existing members, however it will not have as much growth compared to being down at Melb uni.

Not to mention many of these students would be from wealthy families

The crap load of people who go to Melbourne Uni for one. People who live in the CBD and in that area. The buttload of international students who go to Melbourne Uni. Plus our natural constituency of old school tie types.

lol

and they have no idea of footy or any allegiance until they lob at Parkville and lo and behold turn into Demons

youre kidding yourself

The pros out weigh the cons here, outside of location it looks better. Melbourne uni is the first stopping point for thousands of international students a year. Many who stay in Melbourne after they graduate. Would be great exposure for the first team they see are the dees training at full pace during O week. The dees would not get that type of posure where they are now. It is only a more convenient location for existing members.

you do realise there is just 1 oval in the whole campus.....yes, just one

you think the uni would give up their one on site oval?

currently the uni also utilise a number of grounds in the Princes Park area (carlscum). that would be a good look if they offered one of those!

• Like 1

Agreed. Those domestic students that go to Melbourne Uni have long set their allegiance to a footy club. The vast majority of the internationals don't give a damn about footy and never will

• Like 1

I like all the secondary and ancillary benefits of developing a relationship with the Uni.But you dont need to be there and the supposed exposure is highly questionable.

A redeveloped Goschs with appropriate VISIBLE branding would be seen by Millions. Better to stick a bloody great billboard on teh way from the Airport welcoming all and sundry to MELBOURNE...home of the Mighty MELBOURNE Demons.

• Like 2

Would have thought that AAMI Park is closer to CBD than Parkville, Cudi.

Any move must include:

- A1 facilities much better than AAMI Park/Gosches Paddock.

- makes very good financial sense.

- 12 mth access for preseason with potential for exclusive use.

- be near the MCG, because we are part of the MCC.

The push to have a home in the CBD seems more based upon romance than anything else IMO. Where is any form of modelling or research that says it would be such a great idea (apart from G Bartlett proposing a Collins St address)? Whorethorne, Collingwood, St Kilda and Essendon have either moved from their suburbs or are in the process of moving. Look what happened to the last VFL/AFL team that was based at Melbourne Uni....

I interpreted the potential move to Melbourne Uni as being part of something broadly associated with the city itself: the MCG is worthless to people that didn't grow up here, or have no interest in AFL. Let's face reality here. This is the club's view imo.

Also, the club's affiliation with the MCG shouldn't invalidate the fact the club has zero presence in what is arguably the youngest community in the city. The current location has similarly close proximity to the city, distance wise, but it's not quite in a community-centric part of the city, is it? And I mean, isn't that part of the club's problem? We've gone out to Casey to address that issue, right?

The CBD is growing fast and no club has a presence there. We are Melbourne. We should be all over the place. You don't need to break away from the MCG to do that.

What purpose does being near the MCG have apart from playing there on game day? The place is a ghost town on non-game days apart from those working within the stadium. The playing group doesn't train nor do they have access to the ground. Training across the road has no influence, and I imagine having a club divided between two locations doesn't help, either.

Currently, the club has a wonderful, romanticised tie to the MCG and MCC. I don't see how that is damaged by reestablishing ties with Melbourne University. I think it's a superb fit.

The problem is that the same dilemma keeps raising its head over and over and over again: that the club is divided across many different areas.

The club needs a "home". It doesn't matter if it's in the same suburb as another club: so long as the location itself is distinctively Melbourne.

ATM we have gone from crappy facilities, to awesome facilities shared with other teams. IMO that's no better than the other situation. How can a club create an identity when it's sharing clubrooms with other organisations?

I just think that a lot of the issues you raised are part of the problem: the club is struggling to find an identity, stability, a presence. You can't do that by tucking yourself away on some parkland across the road from the MCG. You can't even see Melbourne branding anywhere when you drive by.

Just consider the prospect of a Melbourne team shop on Collins Street. Do you think it would do any worse than the current store, located at the MCG, with full-time staff? How much business could the POSSIBLY do in a location with NO walking traffic? It's any wonder we have such a small support based, really.

Get out there. Get involved. We are Melbourne. Instead we wait until someone else jumps into the deep end, and we watch while they learn how to swim. It's always a lot of talking, a lot of cynicism, and nothing gets done.

They need to do something like this.

Edited by Cudi_420
  • Like 4