What are we missing?

Tragically, we are missing what Blease, Gysberts, Tapscott and Strauss were intended to be.

Caps lock time - THIS IS NOT TO START A 'DRAFT FAILURE' RANT

I'm just saying that these are the elements we are missing and it is an interesting pattern that, for all the chaos and change of the last few years, these core gaps remain.

Zippy attacking runner and hunter.

Creative midfielder with poise.

Booming, line-breaking kick.

Precise half-back kicking with vision.

Thankfully we have a few kids coming through that look like they might be able to deliver some of what we need. But there's still a deficiency there, even if the likes of JKH, Tyson and Salem mature well.

Another way I've looked at it; if Essendon's players were to be granted a 'general release' from their contracts due to being used for off-the-books medical experiments, I'd want Melbourne to be circling like sharks around Heppell and Zaharakis.

Also, especially for the rebounding, Fletcher. It'd be great if he could play the second half of his career with us. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

After sitting through the game yesterday I think the next step is for the players to have confidence in their attacking abilities. They appear to be confident in implementing a conservative approach, with strong defensive principles, but the lack of risk taking, or even awareness was the biggest killer yesterday.

A number of times we had an extra player on inside the forward 50, only to have the lead up player who was 70 out, turn their back, run back 10 metres behind the mark, and then lose the advantage we had.

Once it was Bail in the first quarter, Tyson in another instance.

Also the players need to be more aggressive in looking to score. In the first Tyson was in the clear and chose to kick it long and high to Gawn near the square, but the kick lacked penetration and gave the defender time to get back on Gawn. Tyson needed to have the confidence and desire to just blaze away at goal.

I believe this has also contributed to our lack of forward 50 entries. Too often are our boys turning their back on the play only to miss the early leads from our forwards, and then when nothing is on, we chip it backwards or sideways.

I think if we fix up those sorts of things, we take the next step and become more dangerous offensively.

After sitting through the game yesterday I think the next step is for the players to have confidence in their attacking abilities. They appear to be confident in implementing a conservative approach, with strong defensive principles, but the lack of risk taking, or even awareness was the biggest killer yesterday.

A number of times we had an extra player on inside the forward 50, only to have the lead up player who was 70 out, turn their back, run back 10 metres behind the mark, and then lose the advantage we had.

Once it was Bail in the first quarter, Tyson in another instance.

Also the players need to be more aggressive in looking to score. In the first Tyson was in the clear and chose to kick it long and high to Gawn near the square, but the kick lacked penetration and gave the defender time to get back on Gawn. Tyson needed to have the confidence and desire to just blaze away at goal.

I believe this has also contributed to our lack of forward 50 entries. Too often are our boys turning their back on the play only to miss the early leads from our forwards, and then when nothing is on, we chip it backwards or sideways.

I think if we fix up those sorts of things, we take the next step and become more dangerous offensively.

• Like 1

A balance between playing according to plan and according to instinct.

Watching the north tiges replay.

Drew Petrie although to old for us,is the type we need.

He goes down back when needed and takes a grab.

He is capable of holding down forward post.

And he also will run in the ruck if need be.

Its very difficult to get a player of this standard,that can assess when to go down back and fill in a hole and also fill the other criteria mentioned.

But if PR has to trade for that type ,my guess is he will.

This is easy a fit Hogan and Clark playing we would be at least 6 wins maybe even 8. All the sudden we talk about making finals. We need to replace Clark with another tall forward and we need attacking Half backs.

The other is a ruckman

We have Kent, JKH and Bail.

Bail is more of a mid though.

We have 2 very young forwards though, i think we could be ok

Kent surely must be recalled this week. Not sure for whom though . Looking forward to seeing how he has developed under Roos' guidance.

Hannebry and beams would be the two I'd chase, and then a good key forward might also help

. Hannebry and Beams would make Dawes, Hogan and amost anyone else look a long way better than they do now - some intelligent disposal forwards would he very welcome

Dawes needs Hogan for support and to provide at least two avenues to goal...We then need Frawley down back (to replace McDonald who is too slow physically and mentally).He is NOT a forward...We need Howe back on the forward line..The best high mark in the AFL cannot continue to be wasted down back.. We OBVIOUSLY now need to kick goals and we o NOT need McDonald in this team if we are to progress...

Omg, your mad.

Many reputable football critics suggest tom mcdonald to be a quality player, well on his way to all australian in the near future.

who are you?

I can't even tell if your serious.

Not really who we need, but I just have a feeling that Ty Vickery is a Roos type pick up.

He has has the track record for getting a good return out of guys like that.

I reckon we could get him for a 3rd rounder.

And I was thinking this a few days ago, but then today somewhere (can't remember which thread) I see someone reporting McPherson told a room at the G that we'll be looking at recruiting a ruckman.

Just a hunch.

Mind you, I said the same about Cross this time last year.

We are missing good skills coaches.

And players who practice these skills everyday and night until they get it.

Edited by Chippy

I think Collingwood showed us yesterday that we clearly need line breakers who can run, carry and have elite kicking skills off half back.

Young, Seedsman, the boy from Hawthorn who runs and kicks it beautifully from Half Back, Kolidjashni from Gold Coast are the type of players we need. 2 of these please.

Plus we need another 2 quality mids who can win their own ball but can run & carry, eg Steele Sidebottom, Dyson Heppel, the Hill brothers etc.

Plus we need genuine small crumbling forward eg Ballantyne, Betts.

We've all hoped Blease, Strauss & Tapscott would fill 3 of these 5 needs but I am afraid not.

It is easy to forget the hole left in the list with Mitch Clarke's retirement and I can see why McPherson would say we are looking for a ruck man. No one on the list had Mitch's forward attributes combined with the ability to do stints in the ruck (Pederson trying to fill that role). A running half back who kicks the ball long and a speedy ball carrier in the Hill style