What are we missing?

For demons supporters, we have always questioned or raved that we need certain players in certain positions. I think finally, since Daniher days we have a really solid spine of players.

I think we need another midfielder, key position forward and defender. Not sure about rucks either.

Here is my spine.

Defenders: Toumpas (can go fwd, not actually sure of a set position for him), Frawley, Garland, TMac, Clisby, Dunn, Strauss, Grimes (can go mid), Howe (can go fwd), Terlich, M Jones, Georgiou, Jetta

Midfielders: Vince, Viney, Trengove, N Jones, Tyson, Mckenzie, Michie, Cross, Nicho, Riley, Hunt, Harmes

Rucks: Gawn, Fitzpatrick, Jamar, Spencer, King

Forwards: Kent, Hogan, JKH, Salem (can go mid), Watts (can go everywhere), Dawes, Pederson (can go back), Byrnes, Blease, Evans (can go mid), Barry, Tapscott, Bail

I have named basically everyone to try and sort out players. (Sorry if i made a position mistake or two.)

But i do think that the spine has improved, but i still see alot of gaps. There are a bunch in the forward line who are questionable (bolded) and highlight a certain gap in our team.

I think that the midfield group has certainly improved, but we still need another good midfielder and a replacement for Cross, who has been great but is getting old.

Our back line is actually solid, especially if Frawley stays, but we might still need back up.

I agree with you JVFP, in that what we need to take some big steps is another quality KPD, KPF and mid (maybe 2). Having another good ruckman would help also.

So, by my count, we are still around 5 quality players away from making serious progress.

I think we are lacking some pure dash and willingness to go for a run. A lot of teams have that link player where they have the ability to cut and weave through traffic and have confidence to gain those few extra meters. Insert Blease perfectly for this role. If he can learn to find the ball this could help our transitions from half back to forward 50

• Like 2

Would love to have another key position player in the bank to replace Mitch. Key forwards and backs are much harder to find than midfielders. Once we climb up the ladder the chances of drafting a quality KPP diminishes significantly.

• Like 1

A couple of elite kicks. Still have good players who turn the ball over to easily, just look at the 2 back line turn overs where we actually hit the Richmond player on the chest.

Yep agree need a couple of better kicks (or the current players really improve) - particularly across half back. More pace across the ground. Its fine to have some slow mids but as noted above it needs to complimented with some players with real leg speed (3 or 4 minimum)

• Like 1

A full back who can bounce the ball whilst running.

A full back who can count how many steps it takes to run 15m.

A half back captain who can kick.

A half back captain who doesn't call for a kick across goal to him in a stationary position.

• Like 3

I think we are lacking some pure dash and willingness to go for a run. A lot of teams have that link player where they have the ability to cut and weave through traffic and have confidence to gain those few extra meters. Insert Blease perfectly for this role. If he can learn to find the ball this could help our transitions from half back to forward 50

Billy Stretch!

Wouldn't mind abit of outside pace and skill although I think Kent Salem and toumpas will give us that in time, trenners back to his early form wouldn't hurt and Hogan and dawes out their together with chip getting the third defender sounds alright

A full back who can bounce the ball whilst running.

A full back who can count how many steps it takes to run 15m.

A half back captain who can kick.

A half back captain who doesn't call for a kick across goal to him in a stationary position.

So... experience? More time essentially?

These are simple mistakes that can be ironed out.

I know Grimes has been in the league for a while, but he has missed a lot of time through injury, and the time he has played has most been in a side getting flogged.

• Like 1

So... experience? More time essentially?

These are simple mistakes that can be ironed out.

I know Grimes has been in the league for a while, but he has missed a lot of time through injury, and the time he has played has most been in a side getting flogged.

Exactly what I was thinking too. Time together and games together. Fringe players will come and go, but we have the nucleus of a decent side I think.

• Like 3

What do we need ?

Hogan on the park!

• Like 2

I believe Grimes is a better kick when doesnt deliberate.

When he tries to finesse a kick, he drops the ball too late almost laying onto his boot, and loses depth and power, making it float and loses accuracy. He seems to have a better drop when he just bangs it onto the foot.

If Im right it may be cleaned up easily.

I also think Jack Watts is so much better when he plays on. In the 1st half on Suturday when he took a mark, he didnt play on as if he was worried someone was coming the other way. It slowed us down.

I think a couple of Tiger players noticed. After 3 quarter time he came out, grabbed it and played on and was on fire. I may be wrong but all 3 of us sitting together noticed it.

I'm glad we are getting to the point where the occasional clangers from Grimes, McDonald, and Terlich are what we are whinging about; that means we are progressing...

But if I am giving patience to the awful way we deliver to Dawes from some of our best players then I am giving the same patience to the back 6 - especially when they are doing such an immense job defensively.

• Like 3

I would like to see more polish coming out of defence in particular from point kick outs. This is offset partially by our defensive pressure cramping their offensive play forcing rushed shots. 8 behinds and 3 goals were scored by Richmond due to our inability to safely clear after a point was scored.

Would love to have another key position player in the bank to replace Mitch. Key forwards and backs are much harder to find than midfielders. Once we climb up the ladder the chances of drafting a quality KPP diminishes significantly.

I agree, in terms of the draft, but that's where free agency might become our friend.

A mid career ruck to allow time for the younger ones to develop, another key forward, a small forward and a developing key defender.

Don't want much!

Hit the nail on the head, chook. We are missing elements right across the ground. We need to hope Gawn and/or Spencer come through, because Jamar won't have much longer after his current contract expires. If Chip stays, I reckon he's the swing man between third forward and occasional defender. If he can, our KPF issue is sorted. I feel like the small forward is the icing on the cake. I just want our mids/fwds to cover this role and if we can pick up a zippy bloke down the track, then good, but this is probably the least pressing of needs. I think we need top ball users coming out our backline. I think you might see blokes like Toumpas and Salem rotate between half forward and half back to provide some of that, but we'll need one or two others that can provide that efficient, penetrating disposal. Garland and Dunn to provide run and rebound.

TIME AND MANAGEMENT

PR speciality,development.

dont panic its all happening,young players are being made to earn games and the on field plan is being improved weekly.

• Like 1