Players to target at the end of the year

He has stagnated (but in his defence has suffered a few niggles) and other young players that were earmarked for a delisting at season's end have started to show something.

Kids like Hartman pushing his way into the side has been a pleasant surprise but created a headache.

Walker has been given heaps of chances, but not done anything.

Surprisingly Cowan has barely played due to a series of injuries, but is highly rated and won't be given up on easily.

I think Walker is really just a VFL player, as you say, done nothing.

• Like 1

Taylor Hunt in danger too.

I think he has maxed out his potential and just isn't good enough to persevere with.

I'd have a go at Taylor-Hunt 'Machsy', he could be like one of those under performing half backs the Swans picked up.

He really hasn't found a position.

• Like 1

Jordan Schroeder deserves a go. 2013 VFL B&F winner. Likes a goal, gets the hardball and good skills.

Squeezed out by Cats side full of Selwood, Kelly, Caddy, Motlop, Chritensen, Murdoch, Bartel, Stokes etc etc.

Offer pick 80 in exchange. I.e. saves face and gives the kid a chance. He will be a good one IMO.

I'd have a go at Taylor-Hunt 'Machsy', he could be like one of those under performing half backs the Swans picked up.

He really hasn't found a position.

Not a terribly skilled player though.

Just like Murdoch and Walker, Hunt is an impressive athlete, but doesn't have the skill or footy IQ of an early pick.

I think it's the legacy of Geelong having late picks for years on end.

While all the wily older gun players are there to direct the kids it's not too bad, but now the older champions are either gone or halfway out the door, these kids are a bit older but still need the on-field direction.

Why do you think Lappin was caught so close to the footy trying to direct players late against Carlton?

Geelong are suffering from having one runner almost as much as we are.

Not a terribly skilled player though.

Just like Murdoch and Walker, Hunt is an impressive athlete, but doesn't have the skill or footy IQ of an early pick.

I think it's the legacy of Geelong having late picks for years on end.

While all the wily older gun players are there to direct the kids it's not too bad, but now the older champions are either gone or halfway out the door, these kids are a bit older but still need the on-field direction.

Why do you think Lappin was caught so close to the footy trying to direct players late against Carlton?

Geelong are suffering from having one runner almost as much as we are.

Agree with you re Geelong and was really surprised with their early form as I thought they would struggle to make the 8 this year. The signs are there with Enright and Bartell now, inconsistent form and the occasional brain fade. Their defensive structures are really poor so I think it's from now on we will see if Scott can coach, he was smart enough to let the senior players do what they do in the first year, I'll give him that.

They have a pretty good run home so will probably finish around 5th and if the senior guys are on in a final they will cause some damage on the day but don't see them pushing further.

I would say neitz was a champion

The statement I was responding to is that we haven't had a marquee crowd pulling player in 40 years.

Loved the way Neita played but he didn't drag people through the gates like Jurrah and the Wiz and briefly the Ox did.

( A bit like Bartel vs Stevie J)

• Like 1

If Frawley goes I hope we use that pick on Christian Petracca.

He is seriously a massive midfielder. Solid, wins the footy alot and has genuine x Factor.

Please make it happen melbourne. .

• Like 1

The statement I was responding to is that we haven't had a marquee crowd pulling player in 40 years.

Loved the way Neita played but he didn't drag people through the gates like Jurrah and the Wiz and briefly the Ox did.

( A bit like Bartel vs Stevie J)

that's fine, I agree neitz wasn't a crowd puller, but you said the last prolonged champion retired in 1987...flower
  • Like 1

From what I hear, it seems likely he be playing for a Victorian club next year. No idea which one.

He's definitely worth a very high first round pick too.

I think our first pick will get the deal done for Shiel. If Chip leaves, I'd throw his comp pick at Coniglio or Treloar. I'm living in dream land, but if we got our hands on two of GWS's best three mids, we'd be laughing. Don't think GWS would let that happen, because they have to start playing hard ball with their kids.

However, let's say that they two go, our midfield would consist of: Jones, Vince, Tyson, Viney, Shiel, Coniglio/Treloar, Cross, Trengove. There's something quite Sydney about that line up. Not a great deal of foot speed, but a string of solid ball winners - unless we got Treloar. I'd then aim for some good, speedy half back ball users. Add one this off season and then add another the following off season. By the following off season, we'd be a better prospect for FA's too. That's where we'd lure another KPF and a crumbing forward that can go into the midfield. And then...well, then I wake up.

Shiel's last 5 weeks have been very good. Both of Fairfax and Newscorp have run stories citing Shiel as one who Victorian clubs are actively pursuing with the feeling that he is gettable. Surely we are one of thise clubs.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-greater-western-sydney-giants--dylan-shiel

I would love him at MFC - he's dating Choco's daughter, not sure if that means he's more or less likely to join the Tiges.

i reckon a really skillful hard running half back will be on the cards, whether that be Toumpas or someone we bring in i feel that would really add to the side atm

Would we consider Toby Greene and an early pick from the giants for our first pick? The kid killed it in his first year was prolly there second best player behind Cameron. What do people think has been I trouble with the law so could make home easy to get. Or offer our second round pick as a straight swap would we do it would they do it?

Saw Kristian Jaksch was at Dom Tyson's 21st birthday. Mingling with a few young MFC lads. I've heard Carlton offered him bulk cash, but they need the assets to get it done. Mail is they're willing to let him go home due to so many talks, and he certainly isn't against it.

• Like 2