Training - Thursday 24th April, 2014

Alcho Dee

Rucks - Gawn Jamar King Fitzy and Pedersen doing ruck stuff

A group doing some 4 on 4, seems to be the Casey bunch? (Garland Strauss Riley Harmes Hunt Barry Blease and a bloke wearing no.50?

Tapscott Toumpas Michie Georgiou doing rehab stuff

Grimes Dawes Frawley doing their own thing

Everyone else (yes including Salem) doing some keepings off in main part of ground

Rucks - Gawn Jamar King Fitzy and Pedersen doing ruck stuff

A group doing some 4 on 4, seems to be the Casey bunch? (Garland Strauss Riley Harmes Hunt Barry Blease and a bloke wearing no.50?

Tapscott Toumpas Michie Georgiou doing rehab stuff

Grimes Dawes Frawley doing their own thing

Everyone else (yes including Salem) doing some keepings off in main part of ground

Spencer? Is he injured, resting or just too good for the others?

Spencer? Is he injured, resting or just too good for the others?

My mail is he's carrying an injury and wouldn't have played Sunday had Jamar been ready.

So he may be on light training and still play with whatever it is or he may not.

My mail is he's carrying an injury and wouldn't have played Sunday had Jamar been ready.

So he may be on light training and still play with whatever it is or he may not.

Hope he doesnt play

Spencer not at his peak physically would be a massive ability

Just got back, had to leave a bit early unfortunately.

Like last weeks main training session, Spencil was a no show.

Hogan did some walking, went over to the rooms and then came back over after and watched the end of the session. Kent had a light session, obviously still restricted with the calf soreness.

After warm up stretches Georgiou, Toumpas, Tappscott and Mitchie did some laps. God I hope Tappscott can get himself right and have a big second half of the season, he's a big unit and unlike others I think he has what it takes to make it.

Early on the boys did a drill moving the ball on quickly while a lot who have been at Casey did a close contested drill moving the ball by hand quickly, surprisingly for me Judy was in this group.

After this they did a wrestling/tackling drill, with them on the ground with one trying to dislodge the ball from the others, real show of strength stuff so not surprised Barry made the comment overheard.

Next up was a stoppage drill, rucks contesting and from the stoppage moving the ball the length of the field at speed.

Also at some stage the rucks did some drills, Jamar, Gawn, King, Fitzpatrick and Pedersen all involved.

Next, they had a triangulated drill, using the ball by hand and then foot. More match simulation type work followed.

Overall they looked pretty good, though wasn't watching as close as often do, but skill level was pretty good and considering it was a bit blowy at times was happy with it.

Have said it before, but will say it again, am impressed with how much more hands on Roos is compared to MN and between each drill he would call the squad in and address them, if only we could hear what was said it would be great but can't...

• Like 6

Hope he doesnt play

I believe the word you are looking for is 'liability' and he is often that when he's completely fit.

We need Jamar or even Gawn fit and ready to come in as soon as possible.

• Like 2

Agreed, but then again we don't have many "supporters" who are 'brave' enough to do that, prefer to sit in the stands beer and pie in hand and hurl abuse.

Saty, you know me and know I am not the hysterical type. I also don't have beer and pies at the footy or hurl abuse at our players.

However I was disgusted with Jack's attitude on sunday. It is not the first time this year that I have felt that.

Personally I like Jack and have spoken to him several times and have found him to be a very nice guy. BUT, when you are an AFL player and get a lot of money, from a club that we all raise funds for and invest our passion in, certain minimum standards must be displayed. One of those is trying your best. Jack clearly did not.

I know Jack is not a ferocious player and I make allowances for that, but when the ball is there you go for it, when your opponent has it you tackle and chase, you don't stand there pointing, which is basically all he did all game.

On one occasion right in front of me, he was in front of Prestia, who comes up to his navel, when a pass was coming and he was so worried about getting hurt by Prestia, who was behind him, he put out one hand and dropped a simple mark. It was nothing short of pathetic.

Lastly, I won't be going up to Jack to tell him this personally, as it is not my place to do so, but I am sure the Coaches will. I would not be shocked if he is dropped this week.

• Like 12

Saty, you know me and know I am not the hysterical type. I also don't have beer and pies at the footy or hurl abuse at our players.

However I was disgusted with Jack's attitude on sunday. It is not the first time this year that I have felt that.

Personally I like Jack and have spoken to him several times and have found him to be a very nice guy. BUT, when you are an AFL player and get a lot of money, from a club that we all raise funds for and invest our passion in, certain minimum standards must be displayed. One of those is trying your best. Jack clearly did not.

I know Jack is not a ferocious player and I make allowances for that, but when the ball is there you go for it, when your opponent has it you tackle and chase, you don't stand there pointing, which is basically all he did all game.

On one occasion right in front of me, he was in front of Prestia, who comes up to his navel, when a pass was coming and he was so worried about getting hurt by Prestia, who was behind him, he put out one hand and dropped a simple mark. It was nothing short of pathetic.

Lastly, I won't be going up to Jack to tell him this personally, as it is not my place to do so, but I am sure the Coaches will. I would not be shocked if he is dropped this week.

Agree with all that Redleg you have summed up my feelings exactly.

I would only add that I will be very disappointed if he is not dropped this week.

• Like 1

Hope he doesnt play

Spencer is a 'liability' fit or unfit.

The sooner Gawn or Jamar are ready, the better for our team.

At least we know they can execute the fundemental skills of the game. And compete in the air. And have some idea of where to run. And can tap to advantage. And can snag a goal. And....

The list goes on.

We will see an improvement, even if only a small one when Spencer is not playing.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

I believe the word you are looking for is 'liability' and he is often that when he's completely fit.

We need Jamar or even Gawn fit and ready to come in as soon as possible.

lol yeah was meant to say liability

my bad

Why?

The worst player last week after very ordinary games since round 1

Firstly, his West Coast (18 touches, 9 marks), GWS (18 touches, 2 goals) and Carlton (14 touches, 4 tackles and 2 goals) games were all pretty decent, while nothing special, definitely appeared to be making inroads.

Last week was a step back, but he needs to be in the team. It was a soft match but Roos will not lose faith after 1 really poor match.

• Like 7

Firstly, his West Coast (18 touches, 9 marks), GWS (18 touches, 2 goals) and Carlton (14 touches, 4 tackles and 2 goals) games were all pretty decent, while nothing special, definitely appeared to be making inroads.

Last week was a step back, but he needs to be in the team. It was a soft match but Roos will not lose faith after 1 really poor match.

If you look at his stats from each game - http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-melbourne-demons--jack-watts, he has clearly been going backwards every week.

Not only statistically but in his application and hardness at the ball, which was clear watching the game on Sunday. He needs to bloody lift or go back to Casey.

• Like 1

If you look at his stats from each game - http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-melbourne-demons--jack-watts, he has clearly been going backwards every week.

Not only statistically but in his application and hardness at the ball, which was clear watching the game on Sunday. He needs to bloody lift or go back to Casey.

But he didnt go backwards against GWS and Carlton.

GWS he had to play forward, in a wet game. To kick 2 goals when we barely kicked any was a success. He did his job very very well. 18 disposals and 2 goals in the wet is very solid.

The carlton game i thought he actually played very well and kicked 2 goals. Statistically, he didnt touch the ball very many times, but he also didnt play midfield, still managed 4 tackles.

You're right though, he needs to lift. But im still conceding that it's only been one really bad match for the year, and that is acceptable, it happens.

But he didnt go backwards against GWS and Carlton.

GWS he had to play forward, in a wet game. To kick 2 goals when we barely kicked any was a success. He did his job very very well. 18 disposals and 2 goals in the wet is very solid.

The carlton game i thought he actually played very well and kicked 2 goals. Statistically, he didnt touch the ball very many times, but he also didnt play midfield, still managed 4 tackles.

You're right though, he needs to lift. But im still conceding that it's only been one really bad match for the year, and that is acceptable, it happens.

If I drew you a graph for his season so far, it may spike at the GWS game but the clear trend would be that he has been in decline since the start of the year. I was really impressed with his game in round 1 but should have suspected that he would not hold that sort of form.