WATTS, SHORT CIRCUITING OR NOT?

picket fence

When a tap of the ball to advantage can change the course of a game,........ I just want to see Jack use his pace and get to the fall of the ball, 3 or 4 times yesterday he could have contributed by getting to the ball, usually on the wing, but seems to find himself being so easily blocked by an opponent, it looks like he hasn't the energy to do anything about it.

My wife knows very little about football. Her questions are usually answered pretty easily.

"What does the b stand for in the scoring?" "That stand for behinds. They're the same as points"

"Why is the game still going when that guy was outside the line with the ball in his hand?" "In football it's only out if the ball crosses the line."

"Why does Jack Watts always run so slowly and tap the ball around all the time? The guy running next to him always runs fast and just pushes him out the way and runs off with the ball." "Well, where do I start.................?"

Edited by mrtwister
  • Like 2

Isn't that what the reserves are for? So the promising players can have a sheltered place to learn how to play to the standards we need without hurting the team? Send him back to Casey until he learns to use his body, even if it means he's played his last game for the year.

I don't think Casey will help him.

He's too smart for that comp and will get 35 touches without raising a sweat.

I really want to see the coach make him accountable in the ones.

When a tap of the ball to advantage can change the course of a game,........ I just want to see Jack use his pace and get to the fall of the ball, 3 or 4 times yesterday he could have contributed by getting to the ball, usually on the wing, but seems to find himself being so easily blocked by an opponent, it looks like he hasn't the energy to do anything about it.

gumption, hasn't the gumption. his things need to drop. he's still playing like a boy.

Now, laconic is changing its meaning. Yes, the changes began with misuse, but the word is changing right now. It is being used to mean what lackadaisical also means.

No it isn't.

1. The derivation of laconic is from the Greek "Lakinikos", meaning "Spartan-like". The Spartans were known for their terse speech.

2. The romanticism of the 'laconic Australian' was originally (and correctly) a person of few words. In fact it was someone who didn't need many words to be understood. If it has shifted, it is towards the characteristic of being 'laid back'.

3. The shift has never been to what the OP and others are suggesting, i.e. to a meaning of 'lazy' or 'uncommitted' (lackadaisical). In addition, using terse speech or being 'laid-back' are still positive attributes, unlike being 'lazy' which is definitely negative.

Ignorance shouldn't just be accepted as 'change'. Really poor usage should be resisted, not encouraged.

Which does still raise the question as to whether Watts is just 'laid back' or actually 'lazy' (i.e. lackadaisical).

• Like 5

No it isn't.

1. The derivation of laconic is from the Greek "Lakinikos", meaning "Spartan-like". The Spartans were known for their terse speech.

2. The romanticism of the 'laconic Australian' was originally (and correctly) a person of few words. In fact it was someone who didn't need many words to be understood. If it has shifted, it is towards the characteristic of being 'laid back'.

3. The shift has never been to what the OP and others are suggesting, i.e. to a meaning of 'lazy' or 'uncommitted' (lackadaisical). In addition, using terse speech or being 'laid-back' are still positive attributes, unlike being 'lazy' which is definitely negative.

Ignorance shouldn't just be accepted as 'change'. Really poor usage should be resisted, not encouraged.

Which does still raise the question as to whether Watts is just 'laid back' or actually 'lazy' (i.e. lackadaisical).

I'd sway towards any of the following:

Passive

Leisurely

Meek

Soft

When was the last time he had the fear of being dropped ? He's played near 80 games and he's had more second chances than most, enough is enough. Id rather Pederson in the team than Watts, he has half the talent but at least he tries

He actually needs 10 or more games in the seniors without fear of being dropped to actually understand his role and feel confident in his abilility. Which is something he hasn't had.

• Like 1

Has anybody else noticed when Watts attempts a pack mark he gets a run at the pack then goes up one handed? What is with that?

Basketballer!

That's a ridiculous argument. Send him back and tell him the things he needs to focus on are the physical aspects, tackles, contested possessions, contested marks, shepherds etc not just racking up cheap possessions.

trouble is,when hes running around in the senoirs,other listed players look and think "well thats the standard"

if he can get a game producing that chit,then why not me also.

playing blokes in the ressies for one game means absolutely nothing,but sending them for 5/6 games scares the living christ out of the rest of list.

also his "manager" will struggle to sell another club on him if hes in ressies,and im sure will tell his client"your output has to match your pay packet or nobody else will offer us good money for your services.

also in the 2nds i would make him play in the ruck.that way he has to run at an opponent whether he likes it or not.

north did this with there softkok hansen and he wasted 5 years until his time in 2nds ruck sorted him out.

either do it or lose your career.

but please lets not let the list think"if he can play like that,so can i"

the result is cancerous on the club.

• Like 3

Before I start, this is not meant to be a 'name drop'. Was fortunate enough to go into the rooms after Sunday's game. Of course the hope was we could sing the song with the boys after a victory, but that was obviously not to be. The main group which came out of the meeting was the back line group. Rawlings spent a long time talking to them very quietly. After a short time, some others trickled out of the meeting with the Coach, but no sign of JW. Just outside the 'cage' a Board member was talking to a woman - whose role I am unsure of - and asked "Where's Jack". I am assuming the question was relating to Jack Watts. The woman responded, "Roosy's kept him in for a bit of a chat". About 10 minutes later, Jack appears, bag in hand, hugs Mum and leaves. We left at the same time. The only consolation was the little girl outside the club room doors who presented Jack with a bunch of Easter eggs.

It appeared Jack had not even had a shower. He looked pretty down, as did Roosy in the rooms. Make of this what you will, but I would not be surprised if it's in Salem, out Watts next week.

• Like 6

When was the last time he had the fear of being dropped ? He's played near 80 games and he's had more second chances than most, enough is enough. Id rather Pederson in the team than Watts, he has half the talent but at least he tries

[/quote

Every game under Neeld. Round 2 last year after we get flogged by the Bombers he got subbed then made emergency the next week. He must still be affected by Neeld and now he's had a bad game everyone's calling for his head. I'm sure Roos won't drop him because he recognises what Jack has been thru for the past 5 years. Let's not forget last year he signed on for 3 years when lots of others would have cut and run.

I too have always been a supporter of Watts, but by half way through the third quarter I wanted him dropped and traded at seasons end. I reckon Roos would have added a few notes on Watts in his dossier after the game and I think it will be very telling whether he sends him back to Casey this week or not. I have never meet Watts but my gut feeling tells me he responds better to a tummy rub than a clip across the ear (your honour I submit the way he plays as exhibit 1). I think he loses confidence very quickly and it is reflected in what appears to be this "laconic" attitude. We have limited talent in this team so I suggest Roos puts him back into defence next week and gives him a very simple and specific task. Beat your opponent and the team will lord your contribution. I reckon if he can apply himself to a simple task (well below his potential) he will help the team and rebuild his fragile confidence. I also suspect that if he actually applies himself to a negating role he will inevitable successfully execute a few telling intercepts along the way based solely on his innate talent.

If he can't do that against the Sawns, then drop him!

Every game under Neeld. Round 2 last year after we get flogged by the Bombers he got subbed then made emergency the next week. He must still be affected by Neeld and now he's had a bad game everyone's calling for his head. I'm sure Roos won't drop him because he recognises what Jack has been thru for the past 5 years. Let's not forget last year he signed on for 3 years when lots of others would have cut and run.

Oh boo f'ing hoo. He got subbed off then dropped? Who gives a crap this is a pro sport not a bloody under 10's where everyone gets a participation award and criticism is not allowed.

No one wants to crucify the guy we all wan him to succeed and he has talent to be a contributor to our team but at the moment that talent is being wasted because he won't play with any intensity for whatever reason. He needs to go back to Casey to learn how to do that consistently before coming back to the seniors. Once he proves he can do that and he realises what the benchmark is for senior footy he will be a good player for us but until that happens he'll just end up another Morton.

• Like 2

He's had one bad game, round one he was our BOG.

One bad game? Please, his efforts are something that has been an issue his entire career. We can either set standards for our players and try and rectify Watts' deficiencies now or we can just let him and the team coast along for another 5-10 years of mediocrity.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 3

outside runners average over 15 possies per game at over 72% efficancy.

18 games per year not 5

these outside runners do it year after year.

jack cant even do it more than 5 times per year.

please,we all like the bloke ,but get serious.

Boxing will not increase his physicality.....it would make his quick hands, quicker.

The pundits of the sweet science will tell you that if you lose your temper, you're dead in the water!

Besides, didn't Beamer try that with him? Up at the Koroit or somewhere like that?

That worked......

Crickets......

Beamer did the whole long weekend away thing with 1st and 2nd year players and hats off to him for showing initiative. I think when Watts was first drafted he was thrown in the ring with Beamer as a one off to say "welcome to the big league".

I have to disagree with you with regards to "boxing will not increase his physicality". It's not about turning Jack into a cage fighter off the field or into an Ollie Wines on the field. It's about him understanding what his body is capable off, pushing his body and mind to its limits, becoming confident in his ability to affect a contest and come out on top. As has been discussed on thread as well as others his skill set - kicking, handballing, decision making, speed of the mark, positioning of body, marking(takes the occasional contested but not known for it) would be in the top 10% of players in the comp. I've mentioned before in the first couple of games there were a couple of occasions where he ran through congestion, collected the ball, sped off before kicking with precision to a teammate, he needs to do this more. I don't want him starting in the centre at bounces, I want him on a wing, yes he's great on the outside but there are times when he hangs back in a two on two for the ball to come out to him and the opposition win it because it ends up being a two on one. His pace allows him to get to more contests,if he could start applying affective tackles this would be of great benefit. He has potential to be a star of the game but his lack of physicality is holding him back and opposition clubs will target this.

With regards to the boxing you don't want a mug teaching him. All that will happen is he will get paired up with someone who will beat the crap out of him, and they will wait till he is basically on the canvas before stopping the sparing. You want someone to build his confidence and increase his training to match, this will happen in stages. It may not be the answer but it couldn't hurt to try.

We have to move past "in 5 games he was BOG for 1, crap in another and ok in the other 3. Geelong and Hawthorn have numerous players who play bloody good footy 20 weeks a year. Your best effort is required week in week out.
  • Like 1

I have always blamed the Melbourne Football Club for what Watts has turned into .

To have him play his first game against Collingwood to load such heavy expectations on a young man, to basically throw him to the wolves and for him to get crunched as he did with no real back up from his team mates at the time for me set the tone for Watts then and unfortunately now

I have no doubt that Watts has the making of a Brilliant Footballer , but how to drag that out of him and turn it into consistent performances is something I am longing to see a good coach do

I hope that Roos is that Coach not only for Watts sake but also for the Melbourne Football club and us as supporters.

Watts tantalises with some brilliant passages of play and some deft decision making at times , then you see him at other times run along side a opposition player till they kick the ball without Jack making any real effort to intervene , his tackling at times is like a bee landing on a flower , the bee has the potential to do real damage when it wants to but in these instances it just doesn't.

Deep down I like Jack but he needs to become a more aggressive and more regular performer and realise that he is part of the bigger picture and that he can have a real impact and help turn around the fortunes of the MFC around , and when he does that not only will he will earn the respect from all players including opposition players and all coaches, but most of all, from all of us as supporters.

Like many here I look forward to that day I just hope it isn't that far away as it seems at the moment

• Like 2

We have to move past "in 5 games he was BOG for 1, crap in another and ok in the other 3. Geelong and Hawthorn have numerous players who play bloody good footy 20 weeks a year. Your best effort is required week in week out.

I thought we were talking about Melbourne, not Geelong or Hawthorn. How many of our players do that, apart from Nathan Jobes. Consistency will come eventually but we are 5 games in to the a Roos era

This is the thing...he just doesnt crunch other players...they fling him off, brush him aside....almost contemptuously.

Half the thing about tackling, whether the pc here care to acknowledge it is its a chance to legitimately HURT the other side. You crash opposition into the ground, you punnish them for taking too long etc. Its PHYSICAL and if you dont want to play this then dont go out there.

JAck Watts IS bruise free footy...hate to say it

It's not even that that bothered me on the weekend.

I didn't care that he didn't get physical. But if you are not going to be a physical impact player then be a gut runner and keep providing options in space on the outside. He didn't do that either.

Danyle Pearce is hardly what I would call a physical footballer but at least ( when he is on song) keeps running and running.

Watts looks so good with ball in hand - he just is not presenting himself enough to get touches. Dawes is crash and bash but a lot of his ball comes from presenting and then presenting again...and then if ignored...present again - you don't have to be crash and bash to do that.