The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

Just read that article on afl.com.au about drafting players from outside the normal pathways. First 2 players listed could be rookie listed as replacements for the likes of Evans, Nicho and Strauss. Hidden draft gems of the state leagues - and the bush

Ed Morris, Casey, 18, 178cm, 71k

Won Gippsland Powers club champion award last season and has immediately adapted to life in the VFL, racking up big numbers playing through the midfield and up forward. A fierce competitor, Morris laid the most tackles in the TAC Cup last season. Morris might be looked at by a club that needs some midfield grunt, such as St Kilda or Melbourne.

Nick Rippon, North Ballarat, 20, 177cm, 81kg

The former North Ballarat Rebels' best-and-fairest has been on the radar of AFL clubs but missed out in the previous two NAB AFL Drafts. Rippon represented Victoria Country at the under-18s championships and has impressed at VFL level. The classy midfielder is particularly damaging with ball in hand forward of centre and makes excellent decisions. Could be useful for a team like West Coast which is crying out for skillful midfielders.

I don't think so 'Machsy' but I guess it will be there for all to see in the next number of years.

I do think we've got the best one in Hogan though.

Hogan is so far above those two it isnt even funny

• Like 1

Why would St Kilda want Boyd over Mcartin?

I'd rate Boyd as the better player, both on performance at the equivalent stage in his draft year and also on potential. I'm not all that worried by his start, it's unrealistic to expect young kp players to come in and fire straight away. Theres a bit of Matthew Lloyd about his game, particularly his kicking. When Boyds confidence is up, he's automatic in front of goal.

• Like 1

I'd rate Boyd as the better player, both on performance at the equivalent stage in his draft year and also on potential. I'm not all that worried by his start, it's unrealistic to expect young kp players to come in and fire straight away. Theres a bit of Matthew Lloyd about his game, particularly his kicking. When Boyds confidence is up, he's automatic in front of goal.

I agree. IMO Boyd is better than McCartin. Bigger, stronger, more versatile, better performed at the same age. There are rumours he is very unhappy up at GWS too, so perhaps they are going to trade him off while they can still get the best value for him.

I don't rate McCartin. He's an old school one out forward, and with the way the modern game is he's not going go get the chance to be one out and lead into space. His style just doesn't translate to AFL. He also has diabetes, which might effect his ability to train and build further endurance. I'm expecting him to be a bust. I think it's a really weak draft overall. The top end talent doesn't seem to be a strong as the past few years.

Hogan is the best of the lot. Cannot wait to see him out there clunking them!

Edited by Lord Travis

Everything i have seen and heard from YouTube videos/interviews (admittedly limited) i hope the guy we target is Brayshaw. Good head above the shoulders, seems to really want to be a good player, ball winner, right size for modern day midfielder (187cm). Twomey said it best in his latest phantom draft ranking article "You know what you get with Brayshaw". Believe he spent a week with the Dees last preseason also.

Draft Brayshaw and use the other compo pick for similar go as Tyson deal last year= happy days

Everything i have seen and heard from YouTube videos/interviews (admittedly limited) i hope the guy we target is Brayshaw. Good head above the shoulders, seems to really want to be a good player, ball winner, right size for modern day midfielder (187cm). Twomey said it best in his latest phantom draft ranking article "You know what you get with Brayshaw". Believe he spent a week with the Dees last preseason also.

Draft Brayshaw and use the other compo pick for similar go as Tyson deal last year= happy days

Not good head below?

• Like 2

I don't think so 'Machsy' but I guess it will be there for all to see in the next number of years.

I do think we've got the best one in Hogan though.

I agree, I think Hogan is the best of them, because I think Hogan is the only one besides Cameron that could settle into CHB if we needed and become a quality defender, he has the speed and so on to play multiple roles where as Patton, Boyd and McCartin imo are more stay at home forwards

Roos has a lot of holes to fill especially if we turn over a fair number of our list, so he is likely to be looking for 2 for 1 type deals, which may not deliver us the best but it will hopefully delivery us very good players.

Tyson deal wasnt 2 for 1. It wss 2 for 2
  • Like 1

Late Pick or Rookie I nominated as worth a look in last years draft was Tom Shanahan from East Perth's Colts side. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/thomas-shanahan He did very well in the WA Combine but was overlooked.

One of the few East Perth kids kept on with the spots being limited due to the alignment with Meth Coast. I've again seen a bit of him this year and he has been banging down the door with plenty of BOG performances in the two's. He has been named in the emergencies a few times this season but not cracked a senior game yet. Finally I believe this week he will make his senior debut tomorrow. I don't think I'll be able to get to the game but will see if I can find out how he goes.

Still rate him and think in any other WAFL side he would have been given a debut a lot earlier in the year. Not sure how it works with the SA alignments but over here some on the Meth Coast list are not performing well in 1's or 2's but due to being on their list they have been getting games ahead of some of the more talented younger players who didn't manage to get drafted for various reasons.

On what I saw last year and this year still IMO worth a good look at, I mentioned last year I thought he had a very good inside game but he was played more as an outside mid. This season he has shown his qualities at winning his own ball on the inside and his tackling/pressure acts improved a lot.

Edited by Pennant St Dee

was reading up on peter Wright

203 cms and already weighs in at 102 kilograms

Does anyone know if he has mongrel in him like Jesse Hogan does?

If he loves to get physical i hope we keep our pick and select him

I'd also like to know how accurate he is in front of goal. Haven't seen any of the u18's this year and was thinking Petracca/Brayshaw would be the way to go to bolster our midfield but getting another big forward to pair with Hogan and have Dawes next to the lm wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. We'd have to delist/trade two of Fitzpatrick and Spencer/Gawn though you'd think.

I'd also like to know how accurate he is in front of goal. Haven't seen any of the u18's this year and was thinking Petracca/Brayshaw would be the way to go to bolster our midfield but getting another big forward to pair with Hogan and have Dawes next to the lm wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. We'd have to delist/trade two of Fitzpatrick and Spencer/Gawn though you'd think.

Yes I think big Fitz is out or used as trade bait.

Wight would be a very very good pick. Modern ruck with fwd ability.

• Like 1

Yes I think big Fitz is out or used as trade bait.

Wight would be a very very good pick. Modern ruck with fwd ability.

Wright would be a safer pick than some of the other forwards IMO.

Should make it as a first class ruckman alone.

I like Brayshaw though, kid has skills, toughness and can find the pill.

I prefer the idea of trading pick 3 for Shiel and pick 4 for Reid and Mitchell. Then trade Watts for Armitage. From that we get 3 quality midfielders (2 leaders; Shiel and Armitage) and a up and coming foward to replace Clark. Disregarding personal matters, this is relatively realistic and very well could happen.

Edit: also trading Watts to Saints could possibly enable them to take Petracca in the draft. So it's a win win situation. I can already see Watts in a Saints jumper.

I don't mind the trades except there's no way I'd trade Watts for Armitage. Watts can still be a matchwinner for us. He is the only elite kick we have. I'd like to see him play more as the third tall on our forward line. He is an excellent lead. But is ignored too often or the kicker can't deliver.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.