Pledge per Win

Sir Why You Little

As far as I'm concerned this is a Cam Schwab sort of scheme. No sooner do we get a whiff of hope around the club than they try to milk it. I've kicked in for memberships for long enough - I'm owed some victories, not this rubbish.

well said ET.

As far as I'm concerned this is a Cam Schwab sort of scheme. No sooner do we get a whiff of hope around the club than they try to milk it. I've kicked in for memberships for long enough - I'm owed some victories, not this rubbish.

Great point mate, this year I chalked up ten consecutive years in the Redlegs even after moving to Sydney 4 years ago for work and only being able to attend about 5 games a year at the G. I normally take guests to the games I can attend and buy their overpriced merchandise for myself and my daughter. As much as I love the Dees and AFL in general any spare cash I have will be going to Life Line or Surf Life Savers.

Great point mate, this year I chalked up ten consecutive years in the Redlegs even after moving to Sydney 4 years ago for work and only being able to attend about 5 games a year at the G. I normally take guests to the games I can attend and buy their overpriced merchandise for myself and my daughter. As much as I love the Dees and AFL in general any spare cash I have will be going to Life Line or Surf Life Savers.

Sounds like we should be chipping in per win to you Al. ;)

They are trying to 'milk it' ? You seem to have forgotten that our club is in danger of extinction and sends out teams every week that have to deal with a heavily underfunded footy department. Also we are getting closer and closer to the salary cap being irrelevant which means if you are a poor club you are totally cooked. We need every cent we can get our miserable hands on. If it's victories you want you better believe the importance of the role of $$$$.

PS nobody is forcing you to do anything, it's just a fundraiser aimed at those who give enough of a stuff about the club to cough up some more dough, o an amount of their choosing.

Fir dinkum this attitude of 'the club owes me' that some people have is downright absurd. We are supposed to be SUPPORTers.

• Like 6

I think some people think its compulsory?? It's a great idea to raise funds. I have signed up and am more than happy to pay $20 per win. Happily paid! Certainly feels better than just another donation (of which I have done many).

• Like 1

Bottom Line is ET The MFC needs $$$ to compete with the Top Clubs....How do we get them??

The above idea is a quiet drip feed...If we win a tight game against Carlton at the G would you mind the club Footy Dept getting an extra $50 whilst you buy a round of Beers in the Grandstand?

Somehow i think you would be happy in the moment.

People do not have to join....it is a choice.

Bottom Line is ET The MFC needs $$$ to compete with the Top Clubs....How do we get them??

The above idea is a quiet drip feed...If we win a tight game against Carlton at the G would you mind the club Footy Dept getting an extra $50 whilst you buy a round of Beers in the Grandstand?

Somehow i think you would be happy in the moment.

People do not have to join....it is a choice.

It just seems ridiculous to set up a fundraiser based on win/loss

It just seems ridiculous to set up a fundraiser based on win/loss

why? Supporters are always happy after a win...in more of a giving mood.

I think it's quite clever.

$20 a win.... 10 wins in 2014=$200

Couple of nights out with the boys in reality, but if 10,000 supporters pledged $20 a win & the club came through with 10 wins...that is good coin towards getting this club off the floor.

Heaps of people would love this kind of scheme, ET. It makes people feel as if they're directly incentivising the club to win, and means the amount they pay is directly proportional to how the club goes. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some members asked for this.

If you don't like it, don't pay. Really can't understand why you would take it so personally though.

• Like 2

Heaps of people would love this kind of scheme, ET. It makes people feel as if they're directly incentivising the club to win, and means the amount they pay is directly proportional to how the club goes. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some members asked for this.

If you don't like it, don't pay. Really can't understand why you would take it so personally though.

I can see where he is coming from. We are asked to give as a direct result of getting better, what have we been doing when we have donated in the past?

But incentivising winning is a good way to go, and people are happy to fork over cash when they are, well, happy...

They are trying to 'milk it' ? You seem to have forgotten that our club is in danger of extinction and sends out teams every week that have to deal with a heavily underfunded footy department. Also we are getting closer and closer to the salary cap being irrelevant which means if you are a poor club you are totally cooked. We need every cent we can get our miserable hands on. If it's victories you want you better believe the importance of the role of $$$$.

PS nobody is forcing you to do anything, it's just a fundraiser aimed at those who give enough of a stuff about the club to cough up some more dough, o an amount of their choosing.

Fir dinkum this attitude of 'the club owes me' that some people have is downright absurd. We are supposed to be SUPPORTers.

The biggest thing about the win over Richmond besides the inclusion of our new midfielders and our star in the making JKH was mindset. We actually went into a game not worrying about who wasn't playing but who was. We played with confidence and freedom. Roos won't be around for ever and the players know that. Roos was employed to install a culture at our club, the players need to embrace this culture then pass it on to the next generation of players and so on, then it becomes FREE. Having a great culture doesn't mean you will win every game, obviously having a few gun players helps but it should decrease the size of the losses when they occur. Port and the Dogs competed well last year for under resourced clubs. The Saints recently competed in a couple of grand finals and they aren't a wealthy club.

While the AFL is still getting 1billion every five year for tv rights we aren't going anywhere and how is the salary cap becoming less relevant?

Obviously being a ten year member is a clear sign of me not giving stuff and the fact I would rather donate to a charity like Life Line that does great work for those in need, for example - kids living on the street, kids who have been sexually abused or are contemplating taking their own lives as opposed to a team that was used to giving up when it all became to much for them further highlights how much I don't care. Come the end of the year if I think the players have given their all every week regardless of our win/loss record I will consider making a donation to the club, because I want to not because the club asked me to. And yes the club owes the supporters who went every week they could and sat through the endless floggings, all we asked for was the players to have a crack, play for the jumper and show some pride but at times that was clearly to much.

You still living at home are you?

Edited by Al's Demons
  • Like 1

I can see where he is coming from. We are asked to give as a direct result of getting better, what have we been doing when we have donated in the past?

But incentivising winning is a good way to go, and people are happy to fork over cash when they are, well, happy...

They're not trying to appeal to the generous people who pumped money in when we were stuffed, they're appealing to all the folk on the club's facebook page who went "pfft, try winning a game first! I'm not giving you rabble a cent of my hard earned until you win a game!"

Bottom line is that it's a tin rattle, and isn't any more or less offensive than any of the past tin rattles; they're just taking a different angle to get more people to cough up.

• Like 2

And is there anyone who thinks 5 wins for the MFC in 2014 is acceptable? That's roughly 10 wins in 3 seasons. 5 wins only and MFC loose 2 members in me and my wife.

We are starting with an average team that has got used to losing. They will have bad weeks.

IMO 5 wins, no 15+ goal thrashings and quite a few close games will be a hell of a improvement.

But leaving all that aside it was a small joke J VINEY FAN.

You will need a thicker skin that you have at present or you will be looking for something else to do in 2015.

Besides all that you will be back in 2016 when we play finals.

We are starting with an average team that has got used to losing. They will have bad weeks.

IMO 5 wins, no 15+ goal thrashings and quite a few close games will be a hell of a improvement.

But leaving all that aside it was a small joke J VINEY FAN.

You will need a thicker skin that you have at present or you will be looking for something else to do in 2015.

Besides all that you will be back in 2016 when we play finals.

That's the most positive thing I've heard you say in a long time OD.

I'm still tipping 2015, but for you to be looking at 2016 makes my heart skip a beat. I reckon I'm getting into your head. Go Old Dee!

The biggest thing about the win over Richmond besides the inclusion of our new midfielders and our star in the making JKH was mindset. We actually went into a game not worrying about who wasn't playing but who was. We played with confidence and freedom. Roos won't be around for ever and the players know that. Roos was employed to install a culture at our club, the players need to embrace this culture then pass it on to the next generation of players and so on, then it becomes FREE. Having a great culture doesn't mean you will win every game, obviously having a few gun players helps but it should decrease the size of the losses when they occur. Port and the Dogs competed well last year for under resourced clubs. The Saints recently competed in a couple of grand finals and they aren't a wealthy club.

While the AFL is still getting 1billion every five year for tv rights we aren't going anywhere and how is the salary cap becoming less relevant?

Obviously being a ten year member is a clear sign of me not giving stuff and the fact I would rather donate to a charity like Life Line that does great work for those in need, for example - kids living on the street, kids who have been sexually abused or are contemplating taking their own lives as opposed to a team that was used to giving up when it all became to much for them further highlights how much I don't care. Come the end of the year if I think the players have given their all every week regardless of our win/loss record I will consider making a donation to the club, because I want to not because the club asked me to. And yes the club owes the supporters who went every week they could and sat through the endless floggings, all we asked for was the players to have a crack, play for the jumper and show some pride but at times that was clearly to much.

I don't understand how you can equate donating money to a charity, to tipping in ex amount of $'s to help support your struggling football club, they are poles apart.

If you don't want to put money in to the club then don't, no one will think any less of you.

You do what you think best, that's what we all do.

If you support our Club, you support it however and whenever you can. All the grandstanding about the 'Club owing me' is childish and pathetic (with sincere apologies to any children who have written above) .

why? Supporters are always happy after a win...in more of a giving mood.

I think it's quite clever.

$20 a win.... 10 wins in 2014=$200

Couple of nights out with the boys in reality, but if 10,000 supporters pledged $20 a win & the club came through with 10 wins...that is good coin towards getting this club off the floor.

I think it is quite clever also and agree with what you have said and I would be happy to join this next year in 2015 following a solid 10 wins in 2014, but coming off a 2 win season. Some supporters want to see change before we go giving our hard earned away.

Exactly why 12,000 members have walked away over the past 2 years and why many more have stopped attending games and have lost interest in the club.

I think it is quite clever also and agree with what you have said and I would be happy to join this next year in 2015 following a solid 10 wins in 2014, but coiming off a 2 win season. Some supporters want to see change before we go giving our hard earned away.

no worries mate. But people like myself will get the ball rolling. Just promise me this. In 2014 if the team gets on a roll respect what PJ has done and jump on board.

no worries mate. But people like myself will get the ball rolling. Just promise me this. In 2014 if the team gets on a roll respect what PJ has done and jump on board.

How about this.....wait....I have a better idea......

Instead of a pledge for every win 20$ 10wins =200$...

IF MELBOURNE PLAY FINALS IN 2014 I PLEDGE TO GIVE THE CLUB 200$.

Then it goes back to the players and coaching staff.

Certainly understand its hard to sell our recent history - the club probably couldn't afford the amount of lipstick required to make that pig pretty.

Like most here, I've continued as a member through these hard times. And I certainly understand the need for new revenue sources.

But this just feels tacky to me. Smells like the new boss thinks we have a soft first 4 week draw. Sorry for the cynicism.