Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Friday 24th January, 2014

Whispering_Jack

A wet training session in the middle of summer.

What a contrast to last week and that which the BOM is predicting for next week!

Good news for the start:

Jamar, Gawn and Dawes are back training with the main group. They were excused for "contact" sessions, but finally a ray of hope for our big man division.

However, Fitzpatrick, Hogan and Clark were still with the rehab group. Hogan ran heaps of laps and has a bandage on the knee. Clark running laps as well, but not as much as Hogan. Fitzy not sighted outside the rehab group. Viney also cemented in the rehabs. (is it his hip?).

I'll make one outrageous prediction at this stage of the year:

JKH will be a certainty in the season proper. A wet sliding, slippery ball bouncing through players legs in the goal square. Suddenly, a flash of lightning from the left and with one hand JKH picks it up and slides it through the big sticks. He's the small, fast crumbing forward we have been looking for.

Roos running the session as he did before Christmas. Lots of game type running, for hours on end. When something isn't working as it should, in come the players, the correct method outlined, and out they go again. No-one is in any doubt about what he wants right there and then.

It was an absolute delight to see a group of skilled capable players in the mid-field. The addition of Watts, Tyson, Cross, Mitchie, and Vince just sees sure hands and vision which was lacking last year. But just more of that type around the ball is exactly what the doctor ordered. It then releases Trengove, Toumpas and others to other duties. It will be a completely revitalised group for the coming season.

The rucks, Spencer in particular, got a good workout together with Greg Stafford, in a series of marking contests. The change to the rotation rules for 2014 means they will have to spend more time on the ground, so they had better be able to mark the ball in a contested scenario when resting. Also good to see Christian Salem as the kicker for this set of contests. The 18 year old was selected for his ability to put the ball exactly where Stafford wanted it. His skills are simply first class. We may not see much of him this season, as we have a lot more depth, but when he is ready, he will be a revelation.

Not much else to comment on. The rest of the group are looking good (like everyone does at this time of the year), but Strauss is starting to show some real capability and desire that was lacking before. He certainly has put on the muscle, and kicks beautifully every time.

We might have another smoky for the season ...

• Like 24

Best thing I've EVER read on 'Land.

I agree... had begun to think we were too dumb to use such a basic element of the game.

Great reports guys.

Im still pinching myself that we finally have a Coach ...who coaches !!

and that is to say doesnt just set up the game plan, or the training regimes but gets in with them, analyses what they are doing right and more importantly ( in a fashion) doing wrong and corrects it. its rocket science huh. But we've been without this ( at any discernable level ) for SOooooooooooooo long !!

They're being taught how to play high quality , effective, footy . Hele.......f*#@^n .....lujah !!!!

• Like 4

Great report George

Living on the Gold Coast means I have to rely on you guys for training reports

Keep them coming

Cheers

Despite my best efforts I'm finding it extremely difficult to contain my excitement about the forthcoming season. I know all that can change with one injury or one game, but for now I intend to ignore od's repeated but well intended warnings to take a more balanced approach (probably to my longer-term peril), and to enjoy the excitement for as long as I can!

I have to agree Jack 7. The training reports are excellent and greatly appreciated, especially by those of us can't get there in person.

Keep the reports coming guys, and let the excitement continue!

• Like 3

Thanks. The couple of times I've been to training he's been standing on the sidelines smiling.

I think this will be his last season anyway.

he showed what he could do a few years back, but has underperformed at a club where Murphy's Law applied.

this has made plenty of players under-perform. they say the fish rots.....

thanks to the AFL for grabbing us by the scruff of the neck before we go under & drown.

Jay Kennedy-Hunt a stand-out at Dees training today. Smooth w/ ball in wet. May slot straight into sub/vacant small fwd spot. Pick 40.

Jay clark

Who is Jay Kennedy-Hunt? A lovechild of Jay Kennedy-Harris and Jayden Hunt perhaps?

Edited by CBDees

GoTO................."I'll make one outrageous prediction at this stage of the year: JKH will be a certainty in the season proper"

Nev Jetta agrees with you, walked back to AAMI with him from training on Wednesday and JKH was one subject we talked about, I asked whether he was too small at this stage to get a game at AFL level this year , but Nev said defenders wouldn't get near him

• Like 3

Love the reports. I just wonder whether Roos will look to playing Vince predominantly as a half forward. One of the things I noticed (amongst about 30 others) last season was that the last kick into the forward line was inevitably butchered. Vince is smart and I'd love to see him in a forward mix.

Love the reports. I just wonder whether Roos will look to playing Vince predominantly as a half forward. One of the things I noticed (amongst about 30 others) last season was that the last kick into the forward line was inevitably butchered. Vince is smart and I'd love to see him in a forward mix.

I think the initial focus will be sorting out the midfield and the ball movement from the backline to the midfield. If there's space in the forward line it makes that kick easier. If not then hopefully there's a tall forward to sit the ball to.

The other hope is whatever combinations of small forwards are more skillful this year. The man of the hour Kennedy Harris suits that mould

• Like 2

I think the initial focus will be sorting out the midfield and the ball movement from the backline to the midfield. If there's space in the forward line it makes that kick easier. If not then hopefully there's a tall forward to sit the ball to.

The other hope is whatever combinations of small forwards are more skillful this year. The man of the hour Kennedy Harris suits that mould

You may be right. I do sense that it will take significant time to get the team gelling.

You may be right. I do sense that it will take significant time to get the team gelling.

Yep and I think we should build from the inside to the outside and that means contested ball and midfield running first then we can try and fix the smaller stuff. Keen to see Vince play, he's our biggest impact recruit.

I'll start by saying I'm a massive JKH fan and have been for a couple of years. He is a great trainer and I believe his work ethic will turn him into a very good player. He trained well today but I'm still of the opinion that he will struggle to make the round 1 team under Roos. He is a chance but Roos likes to give his first year players a good grounding and we as a club need this more than any other team. We put all our hopes into young kids which is a bit unfair.

No Garland today.

In slippery conditions I was really impressed with Hunt. He marked everything coming his way using his hands. Some from hard kicks going over his head. He won't play for Melbourne this year but he looks very talented and he can really run.

We are going to have lots of competition for the mids this year. Vince, Tyson, Cross and Michie will all play Round 1 IMO from today's training.

Someone said earlier Watts was fumbly. My friends and I disagree. In the congested work he was eye catching with his pace and agility. He looked like he is ready to break the lines and if he does, his kicking is second to none.

Salem did most of the work and looks good. If he can get 5 to 10 games it will be a bonus.

It was nice to see Spencer, Jamar and Gawn joining in. They all look massive.

Pedersen has lost a bit of weight around his hips and trained very well. He looked a little quicker and made lots of tackles.

Grimes and Jones both train well. I'd like to see co-captains.

Frawley looks awesome. I said this a couple of weeks ago.

We had Grimes, Terlich, Clisby, Nicholson, Strauss, Hunt all Jetta all training as small backs.

I thought Blease trained really well in the conditions and used his pace and agility in the congested work.

There were at times some ordinary kicks in the full field drill but it was good to see them running in numbers the whole field.

Kent did the whole session and he looks all class. I'd like to see him go another step this year.

Roosy was in the middle directing everything.

I'd like to see 7+ wins this year and believe we will.

• Like 9