WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BERNIE VINCE

Ted Lasso

Watts, Hunt, Salem and Dawes all hailed from BGS as did the No. 2 draft pick in Josh Kelly so I guess Robert Walls is teaching a few of them something. I am sure that the boys will tell Taylor if there is somebody he should pick up in next year's draft.

Regarding Vince, I enjoyed watching his interview and I am confident that him and Cross will play a big part in a massively improved midfield for us in 2014.

…and Robert Shaw is?

…and Robert Shaw is?

Touche {OK I was in a hurry}

• 3 weeks later...

Had a pre Christmas dinner catch up with friends last night. Was speaking with a sports journo from the Adelaide Advertiser who mentioned that the Crows were rapt to unload Bernie to MFC and get something for him. They were not going to offer him a contract he reckoned. The Crows had enough of his party boy behaviour apparently.

I hope Viney and Roosey did their due diligence interviewing. We don't need a replacement for Sylvia in the night club scene!

Had a pre Christmas dinner catch up with friends last night. Was speaking with a sports journo from the Adelaide Advertiser who mentioned that the Crows were rapt to unload Bernie to MFC and get something for him. They were not going to offer him a contract he reckoned. The Crows had enough of his party boy behaviour apparently.

I hope Viney and Roosey did their due diligence interviewing. We don't need a replacement for Sylvia in the night club scene!

Vince was still contracted at Adelaide.

Bottom line seems to be that Bernie no longer felt wanted at the Crows.

He's wanted at the Dees.

Their loss is our gain.

Stick it up 'em, Bernie, in the best possible way -- with some scintillating, match-winning performances for the Dees!

same as with Cross.

discarded, & they're what we want, & needed.

welcome boys.

If there's one coach who excelled with picking up discards and turning them into significant team members, it's Roos. I will look forward to how things unfold with our very much restructured midfield mixed with some young up and comers, Nathan Jones and a small group who have yet to live up to their promise. This is the type of raw material that Roos has in the past, turned into a successful on ball brigade.

The difference between Vince and Sylvia in professionalism:

Vince arrives for pre season in good nick, often being mentioned as one of our better trainers according to reports.

Sylvia rocks up for Freo training in questionable condition. His performance on the track and ability to keep up with his new teammates has been that poor that the club has decided he'd be better off training alone to try and catch up with his teammates.

The difference between Vince and Sylvia in professionalism:

Vince arrives for pre season in good nick, often being mentioned as one of our better trainers according to reports.

Sylvia rocks up for Freo training in questionable condition. His performance on the track and ability to keep up with his new teammates has been that poor that the club has decided he'd be better off training alone to try and catch up with his teammates.

That's interesting.

I will wait till 2014before I slag off Sylvia.

Vince is more of a team man,I can see it already.

Sylvia is a mafia hanger on who drinks with heavies.

Vince parties with his cricket mates.

One is an athlete,

The blind love for Vince is to be expected on Christmas day I suppose.

I'm happy to have him, he's what we need and he was probably the only/best one of his type available. I support the decision to trade for him.

But the seeming dismissal of the inherent danger of listing a player who was not wanted by his previous club because of behavioural issues is silly.

Roos may get the very best from him. Vince may want to reform and prove Adelaide wrong. Or it may all go belly up.

The blind love for Vince is to be expected on Christmas day I suppose.

I'm happy to have him, he's what we need and he was probably the only/best one of his type available. I support the decision to trade for him.

But the seeming dismissal of the inherent danger of listing a player who was not wanted by his previous club because of behavioural issues is silly.

Roos may get the very best from him. Vince may want to reform and prove Adelaide wrong. Or it may all go belly up.

Adelaide didn't get rid of him for behavioural issues. After being removed from the draft they were desperate for a top 20 pick and 28 year old Vince was considered expendable. There are plenty in Adelaide, including Graham Cornes, who thinks it's a big mistake to move him on.

All may go ''belly up'' ? What a silly comment. Vince is a very good footballer, albeit a tad inconsistent. Even then he averages over 20 disposals per game every year for the last 5 years. When one considers that he was the best kick in Adelaide's side, acknowledged by their fans, then his impact will greatly help a depleted Melbourne midfield.

Our most consistent performer over the last 5 years is Jones, who has played 107 games with an average of 22.43 disposals. By comparison Vince has played 98 games at 23.23. Jones last few years has shaded Vince's, but not by a lot and Vince is a truly elite kick, while Jones isn't. Jones hasn't had support around him and I acknowledge that they play quite differently, but Vince will be an excellent addition to the MFC.

How you can say that it may go ''belly up'' is beyond me. You significantly overplay a country lad's boyish enthusiasm. He's never had anything like the behavioural issues of Sylvia.

• Like 2

Adelaide didn't get rid of him for behavioural issues. After being removed from the draft they were desperate for a top 20 pick and 28 year old Vince was considered expendable. There are plenty in Adelaide, including Graham Cornes, who thinks it's a big mistake to move him on.

All may go ''belly up'' ? What a silly comment. Vince is a very good footballer, albeit a tad inconsistent. Even then he averages over 20 disposals per game every year for the last 5 years. When one considers that he was the best kick in Adelaide's side, acknowledged by their fans, then his impact will greatly help a depleted Melbourne midfield.

Our most consistent performer over the last 5 years is Jones, who has played 107 games with an average of 22.43 disposals. By comparison Vince has played 98 games at 23.23. Jones last few years has shaded Vince's, but not by a lot and Vince is a truly elite kick, while Jones isn't. Jones hasn't had support around him and I acknowledge that they play quite differently, but Vince will be an excellent addition to the MFC.

How you can say that it may go ''belly up'' is beyond me. You significantly overplay a country lad's boyish enthusiasm. He's never had anything like the behavioural issues of Sylvia.

I was responding to the information in post 37. It's been stated Vince that Adelaide were not going to renew his contract after this year and made no effort to keep him. Don't you think that's strange?

You're welcome to the rose coloured glasses. You seem to miss where I said I support it. If you think all footballers indiscretions are public and we know all there is to know about Vince fine.

Did Father Christmas forget to put something in your stocking again Ben?

I was responding to the information in post 37. It's been stated Vince that Adelaide were not going to renew his contract after this year and made no effort to keep him. Don't you think that's strange?

You're welcome to the rose coloured glasses. You seem to miss where I said I support it. If you think all footballers indiscretions are public and we know all there is to know about Vince fine.

They were desperate for a top 20 draft pick and got one - I mentioned this. Clearly Sanderson saw him as expendable - I mentioned this. Plenty in Adelaide don't agree with the decision.

My glasses aren't ''rose''. I've seen Vince play and gave you his last 5 years stats. Do I need to repost them ?

Serious indiscretions do become public these days. Vince doesn't have any. Well, not what I'd call serious.

"Belly up'' ? That was just a silly comment of yours.

Santa's stocking ? I'll look when I get back from gym.

Oh yes, you'll forgive me if I don't take notice of hearsay from randoms on here. You'll form your own views.

Brenton Sanderson is also yet to prove he is a good coach. He took a decent team with the easiest AFL Fixture in history to a prelim final, and followed up by a horrific year last year. He has alot to prove, and this Bernie Vince scenario, along with a few peculiar media statements I've heard from him in the past tell me I'm not 100% sold on him. Another disappointing year, I'd expect the ferals at Adelaide Oval to be banging down the door.

Either way, I'm stoked with Bernie, we needed immediate help and from the few conversations I've had with players at Melbourne Daniel Cross and Bernie Vince are two of the best things to happen to the club. I don't think it's appropriate to post here, but I heard a story about Daniel attending the boys Christmas party and the reason he's not only a great team mate but a stellar family man and bloke too.

We have one player who averaged 20 disposals or more a game - Jones. We recruited two more in Vince and Cross.

bloody smart move I reckon. Guys who can get the pill are in short supply at the Dees.

Its been said before - Vince was contracted for 2014

Serious indiscretions do become public these days. Vince doesn't have any. Well, not what I'd call serious.

What on earth are you talking about? Running around in your underwear with your teammates after you've won a cricket grand final is up there with wrapping your car around a light pole at daybreak when you're supposed to be in training or donging your cousin in the head with a machete.

How much time did Vince do at Yatala for the underwear indiscretion?

It's been stated Vince that Adelaide were not going to renew his contract after this year and made no effort to keep him. Don't you think that's strange?

There's nothing that's strange in the world of AFL these days. Clubs let players go for various reasons and we shouldn't place too much on the spin coming out of Adelaide. They were desperate for a half decent draft pick and the story about not renewing Vince's contract at the end of the year was for home consumption (as if they would so easily have let him go if he stayed and won next year's b & f!).

There's always a risk with recycled players. They can turn out like either of the Josh Kennedy's or be like Tom Gillies (who cost us virtually nothing BTW). The Bulldogs were said to have let Cross go because of his age and the fact that they had too many players in the aging category who they're going to have to cull in the next few years. At Melbourne however, he'll be the oldest player and three years younger than Junior was when Bailey sent him packing.

We know the risks. It was a judgement made by the recruiting people and the coach in who most of us have placed our trust and we'll see what happens. If it goes "belly up" we'll know who to congratulate for their great vision and if it works we can all rejoice in the fact that the club's on a winner at last.