Tomas Bugg & Matt Buntine

What the hell is going on at on GWS. They win 1 game then seem willing to trade Adams, Bruce, Giles, Bugg (4 of their best 22) and Buntine. Are they serious?

They need Giles to work with Mummy as none of their young kids are ideally suited as back up rucks although Boyd or Patton could do it and so could a few others but not yet at all! It astounds me how little they rate Giles when he has a crack and isn't the worst up forward.

They need Bruce because Phil Davis has stunk so far and they dont have a raft of ready key defenders.

And they need the young midfielders who can impact games like Adams can until they can actually win enough games to trade a couple out in search of a Franklin.

Gubby Allan and Silvagni are slaughtering a gift of a playing list.

Anyway back on topic. Bugg's talented and a hard worker. Could play back flank or ideally half forward and through the midfield. I'd have him for that role or defensive half forward. Plays with character as well. Would consider our second round pick and it would be a done deal for third rounder.

Buntine was a promising junior but hasn't shown a lot yet. I'd take him super cheap (third round) but that wouldn't get the deal done. I'd be confident that within a season or two he'd be a ready to go upgrade on Dunn or cover for Garland to let him play in various roles within the backline.

actually I wonder if the side we aren't able to see, re the list is which players are completely happy playing out of Western Sydney & the ones which aren't.

The harmony of a fledgling club & team is crucial. So the offer the ones who aren't as happy & have an eye for returning home or elsewhere would need to be plucked out fairly quickly before they inadvertently harm the harmony & culture by being less happy around the club.

I imagine this would be the situation.

it seems the Giants are gearing up for a real bunch of Won games next year & forward,,, so this years trading with them will probably be the best time to deal.

Edited by dee-luded

I like Buntine and the fact he has played footy all his life.

Not someone who played basketball then at the age of 16 decided to give footy a go.

Pick 9 is a real incentive we would have to go for Freeman if available

Dom Tyson would have to be in the mix if we couldn't get Shiel

Im not sure what all the hysteria is about....if we cant get Shiel...why not look a the next thing? why not ?

BS. Should be shot if he takes it. We've got one decent footballer from trade and by the looks of it we'll get one more in Vince or Lyons. We don't need two more maybes from this off season, we need a star. Our best chance for that is pick 2 or gaining one from pick 2.. Pick 9 is too much of a risk. I can't disagree with you more and frankly the club shirking the issue of a future gun to pick up 2 good-average footballers would disappoint me.

For a start, Vince is a very good footballer and Michie is an unproven one who may be good enough. The likelihood is there is not the huge variance in talent between pick 2 and 9 in this draft as there has been in some other drafts. That fact is probably the fulcrum upon which the club's desire to trade it swings. Draft pick numbers mean nothing. We have the rights to Kelly (most likely) or Aish and we'll be trading those rights for Buntine (who is a very similar player to Jack Grimes and has been on a similar trajectory), Bugg (who long-term could be our quaterback out of defence and is comfortably a good, albeit extremely homesick player) and for the rights to Kolodjashnij or maybe Freeman if we're lucky. I don't think you can make your argument unless you've got good confidence Kelly is a jet and that those who are in the mix at 9 aren't. Buntine and Bugg will give us one of the deepest and most talented defences in the competition. Michie and Vince will bolster the midfield, along with the move of Watts and organic improvement form our inexperienced players. And we've still got Pick 9, Sylvia compo and 38 to play with. Your playing the Pick 2 will be a guaranteed star card, whereas I think the proposed deal gives us a wider spread of talent, an instant infusion and possibilities to still unearth some stars, of whom I wouldn't write off Buntine or Bugg being very good players.
  • Like 5

In the absence of a better deal, Josh Mahoney should be shot if Pick 9, Buntine and Bugg for Pick 2 is rejected.

Absolutely I agree! The key here is if there is no better offer on the table from othet clubs and assuming that pick 9 is highly likely to give us the player we may have used pick 2 on anyway. (Freeman perhaps based on the rumours)

This obssession that we can twist another club's arm into gifting us a a contracted player is fanciful. If this came to pass its because we get a known quantity in Bugg with a prospect in Buntine and a slightly less certainty of getting Freeman/Crouch/Kardahian.

I like Buntine and the fact he has played footy all his life.

Not someone who played basketball then at the age of 16 decided to give footy a go.

Pick 9 is a real incentive we would have to go for Freeman if available

Dom Tyson would have to be in the mix if we couldn't get Shiel

What a pointless comment.

I can't see any reason why playing basketball would make a difference.

Not sure who you're referring to, in the past, and especially in this current draft crop, but have you heard of a former junior basketballer named Pendlebury..?

As for pick 9, it's a big gamble to take if you're doing it for a specific player.

Dom Tyson would be acceptable for me, depending on what else comes in the trade, but I don't think GWS are in the habit of trading their higher quality kids that are happy to stay.

Buntine & Bugg have been deemed expendable for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

Are we really in a position to be making 3-players-for-1 deals with the number of vacancies we have? It'd have to be for players we really needed and I'm not sure these two are it.

I have no Idea what these 2 players mentioned are like, have not seen them or read about them over the past couple of years.

But I like the idea we are looking to deal for more than one player, for an exchange of P2.

.... so 2 players whom I trust that Roosy's men should have seen often up there? + P9 as well, for our use in the draft to me sounds very good.

I like the trade design.

Are we really in a position to be making 3-players-for-1 deals with the number of vacancies we have? It'd have to be for players we really needed and I'm not sure these two are it.

Michie, Vince, Bugg, Buntine plus pick 9, pick 21 (sylvia compo), 38 and 70 (or a rookie compensation). Seems quite balanced.

FMD.

*sigh*

Ok, it's the fact we have to delist or trade another 2 players to make room for Buntine & Bugg, since we seem to have more trade targets than vacant spots on the list.

And ideally you'd trade for economy of talent, i.e. the net talent you receive crammed into as few spots on the list as possible.

I know it's an abstract idea, because it doesn't really work like that, but surely you can understand this concept?

Edited by Machsy

Michie, Vince, Bugg, Buntine plus pick 9, pick 21 (sylvia compo), 38 and 70 (or a rookie compensation). Seems quite balanced.

It does, but how many vacancies do we have? (Sorry for the lazy question, I'm in no position to self research at present)

there might be a couple of ppl on our list wondering about things me thinks :rolleyes::unsure:

• Like 1

It does, but how many vacancies do we have? (Sorry for the lazy question, I'm in no position to self research at present)

plus Hogan.

I think we currently have 6 or 7 spots. We'd need to delist one or two more. I don't see the problem with that, there are a few out of contact still aren't the?

It's a no from me.

I think we have our back-line sorted for now and we can always touch it up later with a player but for now we need midfielders!

We have three tall backs in Frawley, Garland and McDonald. Then Dunn as a back up/Watts.

We then have several small/mid sized defenders in : Terlich, Clisby, Grimes (I think thats his position going forward) and Strauss (I am going to make a big call and say he will be one of Roos' best prodigies) and Tapscott.

Unless Roos' thinks those two could become gun midfielders then no!

What a pointless comment.

I can't see any reason why playing basketball would make a difference.

Not sure who you're referring to, in the past, and especially in this current draft crop, but have you heard of a former junior basketballer named Pendlebury..?

I was referring to Watts.

Pendles is an exception. If I had the choice I would go for the footballer every time.

It all cones down to:

Does Roos think there is much difference between pick 2 and 9 and

Does Roos think that either or both of Buntine or Bugg could become regular, AFL standard, best 22 players for us, particularly dies he see them in the midfield?

If yes to both its a great deal in Roos' eyes. If no to either then no deal.

I think we'll try and extract a better player than these two, will be interesting to see if we bite if we can't get better.

• Like 2

It all cones down to:

Does Roos think that either or both of Buntine or Bugg could become regular, AFL standard, best 22 players for us, particularly dies he see them in the midfield?

I think we'll try and extract a better player than these two, will be interesting to see if we bite if we can't get better.

You make a good point. I guess it depends on what Roos thinks the difference between pick 2 and 9. (thats if we plan to use it as a pick).

Pick 9 would obviously have significantly less value than pick 2 though if we were trading. It can't get in the way of us getting midfielders.

It all cones down to:

I think this is right.

If we take this deal it would make think that the player or players that we rate as best are not rated as highly by others. I also wonder if our willingness to relinquish pick 2 indicates that we don't rate Aish as highly as others do. Most phantoms have him as a clear pick 2.

Some assumptions there I know but I think they are reasonable.

there might be a couple of ppl on our list wondering about things me thinks :rolleyes::unsure:

Agree. I think there'll be a few guys like Taggert seriously wondering what their future holds.

Forunately for them it's a very weak draft, so 2nd or 3rd chances will be more likely.

I was referring to Watts.

Pendles is an exception. If I had the choice I would go for the footballer every time.

This is what makes your point incredibly stupid.

Just because Watts excelled at basketball as a junior does not mean he is not a footballer.

He played high level junior football for many years too.

Goldstein, Jesse White, Dean Brogan, Jarryd Roughead, Pendlebury, and many many more played high level junior basketball.

If anything, it shows they should have attributes that make them more appealing.

And finally - Gary Ablett Jr was a truly amazing basketballer.

What does that say?

It all cones down to:

Surely GWS do.

Bugg & Buntine's worth of difference.

GWS see a difference because they want a KP Backman who is available at 2 but wont be at 9, pretty simple....

If you think Brendan Goddard could play as a key back then that's what they are after at 2. Scharenberg is a utility like Goddard who can play in multiple positions but at a touch over 190cm he is not a KPB.

GWS are looking to add more class to there list, GC have them covered with O'meara, Bennell and Martin coming on board and of course they have the master in Ablett, they know now that Scully was not what they thought. Whether it's Aish, Kelly or Scharenberg they want to add class to their list. Shouldn't we want to do the same?

• Like 3