• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Potential Midfield in 2014

ignition.

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a derivative of the "Potential Forward Line 2014" thread initiated by The Vanilla Gorilla.

As most us consider the forward line exciting, the vast majority of us agree the club really needs to bolster its midfield, and doing that holds the key to improving the efficiency of both the defense and forward line.

So I ask who would you like to see lining up in our midfield come round 1 of 2014? Who would you like to see recruited to join the likes of Jones and Viney? Is it a Swallow, Selwood, Rockliff, Adams... or other? (please be realistic).

EDIT: Poll, Select the general consensus of midfielders you would prefer in the list over others. We will eventually obtain an average of the most desired.

Edited by ignition.

Also Cross short-term but any two of the above nominations would result in massive improvement.

Swallow and Sloane.

To join established mids N Jones & Trengove

Plenty of upside for big improvements in Viney, Toumpas, McKenzie, Evans, and maybe Kent and Barry.

We should at least be able to compete with midfields from most other clubs.

• Like 1

It's nice to have a wish list but I'd be happy to add Cross, Maverick Wellar, Anthony Miles. Keep our first 2 round draft picks add two more mids with these. Cross as an uncontracted free agent, Wellar PSD and Miles offer our third round pick or better still get him PSD and rookie Wellar.

• Like 1

how about getting excited about what Roos and co. can do with the players we already have?

Jack Trengove especially.

Excactly. We are obviously on the lookout for talent from other clubs, but we've also go to remember we've got a lot of young mids still to come through. Trengove, Viney, Toumpas, Barry, Kent, Taggert, Evans etc. all of these guys could benefit greatly and we may see marked improvement in them. And by the sounds of it Taylor Adams isn't interested in joining us (though we should definitely not give up) so we will need to see improvement from our current players as well as look for others.

I voted for sloane and selwood but would be happy with any of the following.

Cross

Swallow

Shuey

Adams

Because I believe we need mids who have a few preseason into them that we could plug into the team

Edited by PugtheMagician
  • Like 2

Granted he's only 20 years old, but I can not understand the hype around D Swallow here. I think it may have something to do with his best game of the year being against us. Would take any of Sloane, Rockliff or Shuey ahead of him, and it wouldn't be a hard decision.

Granted he's only 20 years old, but I can not understand the hype around D Swallow here. I think it may have something to do with his best game of the year being against us. Would take any of Sloane, Rockliff or Shuey ahead of him, and it wouldn't be a hard decision.

People are probably taking into account that Swallow is the most realistic of the bunch (aside from probably Cross and the potential draftees). That influenced my vote, as well as the fact that I think he will still become an absolute gun.

Premiership teams have an elite midfielder.

You never cut off the possibility of uncovering one. First port of call is always the draft when you have a high pick.

Not in our position I think. What we need is success, as quickly as possible. Considering the fact that we are severely stricken of midfield talent in their early to mid twenties (and obviously older), we should be looking at all trade options available to garner a good quality midfielder or two. At this stage it doesn't have to be a player of elite standard - that can come a little later, once we can string a few wins together.

To go to the draft without looking to trade pick 2 would be a mistake, we don't have the time right now to try and develop another youngster, unless of course we can pick up the extra midfield grunt with some later picks and clever trading.

My ideal two would be Sloane and Selwood, I only rate those two above the others based on their immense work ethic, always trying to improve and better themselves and because they are quality clubmen and generally really well liked (by reports).

Although I would be over the moon if we secured any two from Sloane, Selwood, Swallow, and/ or Rockliff (I wouldn't complain one bit).

If that occurred along with Jones, Trengove and Viney with Grimes moved back to the half backline (where he plays incredibly well) I think the club would improve quicker than many would think.

Why is he the most realistic ?

I thought he was contracted for 2014. Just like Shuey, Selwood, Rockliff & Sloane

Because according to reports he is the one wanting to return to Melbourne while the others are not.

People are probably taking into account that Swallow is the most realistic of the bunch (aside from probably Cross and the potential draftees). That influenced my vote, as well as the fact that I think he will still become an absolute gun.

Why is he the most realistic ?

I thought he was contracted for 2014. Just like Shuey, Selwood, Rockliff & Sloane

If a player is feeling uneasy about the club, feeling homesick and opting leave (whilst in contract) and another club is poaching with something reasonable to offer (like the MFC), the players current club may consider that its best option for its future.

Who knows a pick two for the national draft might not be available at the end of 2014 for say the likes of Swallow, it might be a pick 5 or something not as significant.

All the options stated above are possible and somewhat realistic based on what the club has to offer to both players and clubs. A contract can be terminated if all parties agree.

In regards to the experienced players mentioned, it was rumoured that Rockliff was disgruntled at Brisbane (although under Voss), Selwood may want to come home with the retirement of his brother, Swallow wants to be in Melbourne closer to his brother Andrew and Adelaide would crave the likes of Aish and Sloane was a MFC supporter growing up, so how much will they pay... who knows. Like I said they have just been some of the rumours, so how factual they actually are I'm not entirely sure.

Nice theory but I'm none the wiser

Rockliff - I have no idea

The Swallow story I've only seen on this website....so I assume it's baseless

Selwood - Troy Selwood said on radio this morning from his discussions with them, that both brothers are staying in Perth. Adam taking up an off field role

Sloane - it's been said that his family were so dirty on us not drafting him as promised that they'd never have anything to do with MFC again. But that was on this website as well so could be as baseless as the Swallow story

Nice theory but I'm none the wiser

Rockliff - I have no idea

The Swallow story I've only seen on this website....so I assume it's baseless

Selwood - Troy Selwood said on radio this morning from his discussions with them, that both brothers are staying in Perth. Adam taking up an off field role

Sloane - it's been said that his family were so dirty on us not drafting him as promised that they'd never have anything to do with MFC again. But that was on this website as well so could be as baseless as the Swallow story

Thanks for some updates :)

Potentially a great Thread.

I just finished watching The Season Review ....by Nathan Jones.

It was the sound of a very frustrated man.

Although he knew he had his back by all in the mid field.

When speaking to Roosy they all said that they needed more experience in the mid field so that Nathan could be freed up to show his true potential.

(not exactly what Nathan said but you could see where he was going)

Nathan envied Toumpas and Viney as being the future of the midfield, but couldn't do it on their own.

Now I know we have been saying for years our Mid field is our Achilles heel.

Maybe the answer is not all that far away.

Yes we need a better midfield, more talent yes, but players who can attract more attention, so that it ends up being a 1 on 1 match up.

rather than the 3 on 1 that NJ doesn't enjoy.

1 elite player doesn't make a midfield.

2 Very good team players added to another very good player

can end up being an elite midfield

Edited by Chippy
  • Like 1

I like the direction you are taking, but I don't think any team has won a flag with the 1 + 2 you refer to

More like 1 (or 2) elites, + 2 (or 4) very good, + 3 or 4, maybe 5 or 6 more good solid players who can rotate through the midfield

So we have a fair way to go, but Roos does know how to go about it

I like the direction you are taking, but I don't think any team has won a flag with the 1 + 2 you refer to

More like 1 (or 2) elites, + 2 (or 4) very good, + 3 or 4, maybe 5 or 6 more good solid players who can rotate through the midfield

So we have a fair way to go, but Roos does know how to go about it

Totally agree monoccular but I was referring to this years recruiting. I doubt we could recruit what you are after this year.

His VFL year as an under age player was outstanding so I would think he has a lot of upside.

I remember reading somewhere Roos stating that we need "defensive skilled (gut running) midfielders with a good turn of speed". I am assuming by good turn of speed he means quick off the mark. Does this narrow down the candidates?

Edited by DeeMfc
  • Like 1