Aish or Martin

Harrisonrules

On that note I must say I'm struggling this year to rank the players, and like most years - well practically every year, one of the best top 3 players (long term) are in the late 10's or early teens.

I’d be happy to trade say pick 2 for Scott Selwood and their pick 6 OR for Tom Rockcliff and their pick 7 AND with an exchange of later picks, with that pick we could very well get either Crouch, Sheed, Bontempelli, Billings or Freeman as one will slide and one I'm sure in a few years everyone will look back on and say "why didn't we get them" like every other year. Which one will it be... I have no idea I don't watch the recruiting tapes.

So we need clearences and inside 50's ....most importantly...agreed? Which one out of these kids in the draft is best at providing that? Does anybody know stats and figures ? Otherwise Hogan, Clark, Dawes and Watts will be useless for us.

If Martins response to enquiries is that is money is his issue at Richmond and that he is willing to come to Melbourne for the right money, I would approach it like this:

Tell him rumours of his current off field behaviour make him too high a risk to invest in. We need our picks to be 10 year players.

Tell him that our aim is to be successful and win a flag, and that to do that we need the best players we can get.

Tell him we are interested because he is a good player and has the potential to be a great player; Roos wants to make him a great player.

We can match his money requirements, or even exceed slightly, on the following conditions:

-We can draft him in the PSD, pick 2

-We can trade with Richmond for our 3rd(?) round pick or player we are prepared to lose.

-Two year deal with option for third negotiated of he is interested

This is because a) currently he is to risky to use pick 2 on, but more importantly, b) if he wants finals and flag as well as money, we need to have those picks available to draft the best players to play around Martin which means our first two picks.

Give him some freedom back (if I was 21 and had a minder I'd want to push back at every opportunity too) but:

Require him to stay on the straight during key times (prep and recovery) and while at the club. Also stress that his playing and training is not impacted by outside activities. Require any contact with unsavoury types to be external of the club ie don't bring them to functions.

Get Roos to identify a mentor - Everitt, Hall, or other 'bad boy' who had a good career - may he may respond to this sort of character because they have credibility.

If he wants the money he will come, and if he goes off the rails, he cost nothing but cap space. A kid with good character won't walk to PSD unless their club is being unreasonable; they feel like they owe their clubs, and fair enough too. Martin isn't good character, we can pay to his selfishness and try and get him for nothing.

Not even Mother Terese would come to us on those terms. Completely unrealistic. AFLPA would not agree to it as well. The worst club in the comp setting the terms to a wayward player who is better than any other we currently have? Bwahahaha!!

Not even Mother Terese would come to us on those terms. Completely unrealistic. AFLPA would not agree to it as well. The worst club in the comp setting the terms to a wayward player who is better than any other we currently have? Bwahahaha!!

Try reading again. They aren't official terms, they are the conversation. They are the verbal agreement of how it will be at Melbourne. He doesn't have to put up with a minder but he promises not to bring certain people to the club. We tell him we are treating him like an adult not a kid, but expect certain responsible behaviour in return. We are telling him, he will get top dollar for two years but of he acts irresponsibly there is no guarantee it will be extended. We explain what the ground rules will be and what the freedom will be. We offer to give him more freedom than Richmond but make it clear there are some non-negotiable areas regarding preparation and recovery (similar to what a couple of recent Brownlow medalists have been afforded).

The only terms mentioned are the agreed money amount and the contact length. The same as for any player.

The PSD or 3rd rounder isn't a term either. It is a statement of what we are willing to give up for him; we will give him the money he wants, but won't give up picks. The rest of the conversation is part of the convincing, explaining why we aren't willing to trade pick 2 etc.

How would you go about it?

Edited by deanox

Not that Rory Sloane is available but for anyone to suggest a higher pick on a drooling imbecile like Dustin Martin over Sloane is outrageous.

• Like 1

Pick 2 for scharenberg.

I am rarely wrong.

If only the recruiters would listen.

We also must try to pick up;

Zak jones

Liam Jurrah, again

And our forward pocket midfielder, garlett.

We can snare Martin outside the draft.

I would then be happy

Why aren't you a recruiter then?

And who's bring the beer (and extra curriculars) to that end of season trip. Jurrah, Martin and Garlett in the one team!

Well i suppose Mother Teresa could fill our small crumbing foward vacancy

My cousin who also played in the u/18 SA team said that Aish is very similar to Toumpas, an outside player who doesn't like the rough stuff. He reckons that Scharenberg is the better player and has a much better attitide. Aish has a lot of tickets on himself. Aish may have the greater potential but how many times are we gonna draft potential and come up empty handed!!!

You and your cousin are very much mistaken. When will people learn to WATCH the players they criticise? James is very classy and skilful, but also knows how to win his own ball. How many SANFL League games has your cousin played? Not many (if any) i bet. Jealousy is a curse. James has been playing League footy for the best part of 2 years. He has won a premiership and played consistently great footy against men twice his size. I really am over these so called armchair experts saying this and saying that abut any player under the cloak of anonymity!! Grow up moron.

As for not dealing with a tag, how many actually can? James is one of the very rare few to be tagged at Under 18 State level. It just doesn't happen. You guys would know that if you truly watched the Champs over the last few years! James actually had just come back from serious injury for the Game against Vic Country that he was tagged in. First game back after six months and he didn't tear it a new one! My God, what a spud. LOL!!

Great arguement..

Do explain?

You're not comparing apples with apples.

Who would prefer: Jake King, Kosi & Justin Sherman...

Or Judd, Pendlebury & Mitchell?

It's a strawman argument.

You're completely misrepresenting what Aish is as a player, and what a young draftee is to boot.

Do you even know what Dangerfield was like as a 17 year old draftee?

my God how can you guys speculate on draftees like this.. if there's one thing I've learnt from the excrement of the last 7 years is that you read this write-ups and watch these highlight videos and pontificate and suppose a bunch of things and it turns out that when they get to the club and start playing in the big league it all stands for JACK SQUAT

if you don't believe me read this:

4 – MELBOURNE – CALE MORTON

Claremont, WA, Tall midfielder/forward, January 18 1990, 191.5cm, 78.7kg

Melbourne won't believe its luck that a player some recruiting managers regard as the best in the draft will slip through to No.4. But that's the way the cards are falling, with Richmond certain to take Trent Cotchin and West Coast likely to pounce on Chris Masten ahead of Morton. Under this scenario, Melbourne will gladly snap up Morton, the youngest brother of Mitch (Richmond) and Jarryd (Hawthorn). The only other player who is a chance for Melbourne at No.4 is East Fremantle's Rhys Palmer.

Bio: A genuine utility, capable of playing onball, off a flank or as a key position forward. Noted for his ability to read the play and strong work rate. He was exceptional for Western Australia during the 2007 NAB AFL U18 Championships, averaging 25 possessions and nine marks per game, earning All-Australian honours and the Larke Medal. Recorded a 15.1 beep test result at the 2007 NAB AFL Draft Camp. From Hale FC.

Pick #3 - Melbourne - Cale Morton, 192cm

Pick of the Morton boys, Cale shapes up as a versatile tall wingman/HBF/HFF/CHB with the right match-up/FF....basically wherever you want him to play :thumbsu: Good mobility and agility for his size, and while not quite in Buddy Franklin territory has some nice tricks for his height. Very clean hands and showed in the champs that he is very sound overhead as well. Has good awareneess, makes good decisions and in combination with a penetrating kick which is elite standard already he has a high hurt factor.

Pick 2 - Cale Morton -

Wingman/Utility - 192cm 75kgs - Claremont - Tallish wingman/halfback with superb skills and a lovely long kick of the footy . Is very much an outside player who tends to be the playmaker or handball receiver but he doesn't miss too many targets. He links in well in this role and can kick a goal from outside 50. Needs to build up a bit body wise. Has good endurance and his pace is ok. He knows how to find space and is a one touch player. If he isn't receiving a handball he is running to space and getting a mark. Great talent.

• Like 2

Of all the things i love watching about the way Aish plays footy, he reminds me a little of Travis Jonstone and that concerns me abit.

i'd prefer to pull the trigger early on Crouch or Freeman, i think Freeman is this years Dangerfield and Crouch would be ready to go round 1 2014, attacks the ball like jack viney, is a contested ball clearance machine with decent pace and skills, reminds me alot of Sam Mitchell