Matt Crouch

Ted Lasso

If we get a PP and it's not pick one I would think Aish and Couch would be a good match.

Totally agree mate, can't see him slipping past pick 15 under any circumstances if we can somehow get our hands on a pick between 8-12 i will be doing cartwheels.

Hoping we can manufacture a trade with Watts or something else that'll get us another first round pick in the 8-12 mark. Crouch would be ideal with a pick around that.

Yes i agree, could be worth a look

Edited by Jordie_tackles

41 disposals (14 Contested) on the weekend in a 60 point loss vs. Oakleigh Chargers.

26 Kicks.

15 Handballs.

8 Marks.

2 Tackles.

9 Clearances.

8 Inside 50

4 Rebound 50

I guess we will leave it up to our recruiters, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see him running around in a Demon jumper next year.

There was a guy on 'On the Couch' the other night who went pick 10, needed a bit of work on his kicking. Not a bad player Dangerfield.

I'm not sure that his Dangerfield's bio stated so often that he needed work on his kicking but I'm happy to be proved wrong as I don't remember too well.

As for Couch, I haven't seen him play. Is he explosive like Dangerfield? Does he have the same marking ability as Dangerfield and ability to kick goals often?

Comparing Couch to Dangerfield. I can't say I've read that anywhere..

• Like 1

41 disposals (14 Contested) on the weekend in a 60 point loss vs. Oakleigh Chargers.

26 Kicks.

15 Handballs.

8 Marks.

2 Tackles.

9 Clearances.

8 Inside 50

4 Rebound 50

I guess we will leave it up to our recruiters, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see him running around in a Demon jumper next year.

Some pretty impressive numbers for an individual who's team lost by 10 goals.

26 Kicks.

15 Handballs.

8 Marks.

2 Tackles.

9 Clearances.

8 Inside 50

4 Rebound 50

That is insane, this kids going to be hard to toss.

Viney and Crouch getting the ball out to Aish and Toumpas is mouthwatering for our forwards.

I'm not sure that his Dangerfield's bio stated so often that he needed work on his kicking but I'm happy to be proved wrong as I don't remember too well.

As for Couch, I haven't seen him play. Is he explosive like Dangerfield? Does he have the same marking ability as Dangerfield and ability to kick goals often?

Comparing Couch to Dangerfield. I can't say I've read that anywhere..

I'm talking purely kicking and it was Dangerfield that said he had the problem and worked on it.

The knock on Crouch has been his kicking and in the games I've seen he's hit his targets pretty well, what he really brings is a thirst for the contest and he reads the play at stoppages really well.

Edited by rjay

I'm talking purely kicking and it was Dangerfield that said he had the problem and worked on it.

The knock on Crouch has been his kicking and in the games I've seen he's hit his targets pretty well, what he really brings is a thirst for the contest and he reads the play at stoppages really well.

I understand but there are players who need to work on kicking, and there are players who NEED to work on kicking.

I rate Dangerfield as a decent kick.

Anyway, I guess we'll soon find out. Good to know he hits targets.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

• 2 months later...

Surely at pick 9 this guy is a must get ?

The latest "Phantom Draft" has him going at pick 15 to Sydney. Why would we pick him up ahead of Freeman and/ot any of the other fourteen guys suggested ahead of him. The reasons advanced by Paige in each case sound pretty sound to me!

http://www.scpaige.com.au/phantom-draft-october-edition/

The latest "Phantom Draft" has him going at pick 15 to Sydney. Why would we pick him up ahead of Freeman and/ot any of the other fourteen guys suggested ahead of him. The reasons advanced by Paige in each case sound pretty sound to me!

http://www.scpaige.com.au/phantom-draft-october-edition/

Good to see Lewis Taylor finally get some props he deserves in that article.

He average something like 36 possession or whatever it was.Anyone who can do that sort of [censored] will be a gun. This Freeman bloke I am not too sure on.

Again, I'm just wanting to point out that Magner had a 50 odd possession game this year, and Greenwood for North accumulated 38 possies in one of the few AFL games he played this year.

Whilst having an average of 36 possies a game is a positive. It doesn't MEAN he'll be a gun. Do you know what other abilities he has?

What other attributes?

I'm not saying he won't be a good player. For all I know he could end up being the mid of the draft.

But stop with 'he must be a gun because he averages high numbers' talk.

• Like 2

Despite the high disposal count, FOOTY TRAGIC isn't impressed:-

“#50 – MATT CROUCH

Height: 183cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 21/4/1995

Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels

The curve ball strikes early! Alright look, Crouch is only in here because I really wanted to write about him. Do I start with the good or the bad first? I’ll go with the good.

We all know about Crouch’s ball-winning ability. It’s amazing and most likely the best in this draft. Want some numbers? Here’s some; from his two matches in the National Champs he won 43 disposals (21 contested), 11 clearances and laid 7 tackles. More incredibly he averaged over 37 disposals in the TAC Cup this season, won 25 disposals in his one game for Frankston in the VFL and averaged almost 26 disposals as an under-age player in last year’s U/18’s.

A large portion of Crouch’s disposals are contested and he’s very good at reading the ball off the ruck taps and being the first person with his hands on the ball at the stoppage. Crouch is very strong, he has a good competitive frame that has enabled him to dominate other kids his age and handle the one game of senior footy he played with relative ease. That entire part of Crouch’s game is very good and it’s why a lot of people have him going in the top 20 and as high as the top 10.

The following is where I have massive issues with Matthew Crouch. This is a mini-summary of some of the game notes I’ve compiled over the season;

- not working back defensively

- slammed ball on boot without looking to his side, had teammate streaming by

- kicked dangerous ball into corridor to a teammate outnumbered

- won contested ball in defensive 50, had time, kicked an attempted torpedo into the corridor

- received handball in corridor, had space, had open teammate 50m ahead, lacked penetration, intercept mark, turnover

- attempted short kick in defensive 50, missed target, turnover, goal

- got free at stoppage, won ball, tried to break away, run down, affected kick, turnover

These are the ultimate coach-killers and it’s why just looking in the disposals column doesn’t tell the entire story. There are countless examples of AFL players having no trouble finding the ball but they also do everything the coach doesn’t want them to do because they play their own game like it’s U/12’s.

It’s all well and good finding the ball 38 times a game, but if you’re not doing much with those touches or costing your team overall well then you might have a problem at the top grade.

Just delving into those notes that I’ve plucked out, the general consensus is that I find Crouch very rushed. He gets the ball and kicks it almost in the same motion. The thing is if he held it any longer he’ll most likely get run down from behind. He isn’t fast; in fact he ran a 3.25 second 20m sprint, ranking in the bottom 7%. Simply put, Crouch is not an athlete at all. He ranked below average in all the endurance tests and in the standing vertical and jumps he was bottom 5%.

There are plenty of AFL players who aren’t great physical specimens, but most of them have great endurance.

Just to clarify though, I’m not ruling out Crouch altogether. He has attributes that can make him a solid footballer, but he has a lot to work on.

Matthew Priddis is one example of a player who sticks to his limitations and has carved out a fine career and a player who I can see Crouch potentially become one day.

There’s lots of work still to be done though. You’re pretty much changing a footballer’s game in which they’ve played all their life and that isn’t easy. It depends on their professionalism and how committed to the cause they are. To have any chance of having a good crack at the top level though, Crouch will need to develop his endurance base big-time.

In terms of where Crouch will fall on draft night, I’ll be the last one surprised if he goes undrafted. With the lack of quality in this group though, there’s bound to be a club that will like him and one that might even use a first-round pick on him, but I’d be shocked.”

I don't know Crouch, but getting the ball 30 times and screwing it up royally 6 times a game is a lot more valuable than having a pristine 15 possession game.

I know it depends on where you are getting your kicks but, on a base level, if you can find the footy a lot - you are working hard and you are a good footy player.

"A large portion of Crouch’s disposals are contested and he’s very good at reading the ball off the ruck taps and being the first person with his hands on the ball at the stoppage."

This is why I say he is the best inside/contested mid of the 18's. In the game, and again I stress game that I watched him he used the ball pretty well and his handball to bring others in and clear congestion is good. Crouch is a natural footballer not an athlete, his attack on the ball is like Viney.

They kill to get it.

Can't see him dropping to #50 and we would be mad not to take him at #40 if he was there. Won't happen.