What can we get for Jack Watts?

Roger Mellie

I didn't see The Footy Show (cant think why), but it seems Jack didn't cover himself in glory so time to get down to business. What can we get for him?

First stop, the teams short on talls/forwards:

Adelaide, Freo, Bullies, Brisvegas, Carlton, St Kilda

Trade possibilities (realistic and ridiculous)

Jack Watts for Rory Sloane

Jack Watts and Pick for Brad Crouch

Jack Watts for Scott Thompson + pick

Jack Watts for Barlow?

Jack Watts for Jack McCrae would be nice,

Clay Smith?

Other dogs?

Jack Watts for Daniel Rich

Watts to Brisbane, Rich to WCE, Gaff to MFC (+picks)

Watts for Redden or Polec?

Watts for Carazzo

Watts for Gibbs (a bit like for like and I don't)

Do not want Yarran

Watts for Jack Steven?

GWS - Watts for Adams, Devon Smith (MFC supporter) or other mid

Over to you:

Now we're talking....

I hope the MFC strongly look at trading Watts - Let me clarify that I rate Watts's ability - I don't think he has it upstairs to get the job done though

If Watts stays on at the MFC I will still support him but my opinion of him won't change. I sincerely hope both parties do what's best for each other.

I reckon we need another quality in and under player who has good skills so can play in and out - If we could snare a Rockclif, Redden, Adams, Sloane or even Swallow that would be a big win for the MFC IMO

Fun times ahead

PS - but in saying all that I reckon the MFC over rate Jack - we probably won't get what we want for him

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1

I honestly think we over rate what other clubs think of JW. Most opposition supporters i know see him as skillful but weak and pea hearted. I rate him similar to Gibbs, but Gibbs is ahead of Jack IMO. Maybe Gibbs or Yarran trade, but I don't like either. Or JW might get us a late 1st round pick, if we are lucky. The guy just hasnt shown much and isn't worth that much.

I honestly think we over rate what other clubs think of JW. Most opposition supporters i know see him as skillful but weak and pea hearted. I rate him similar to Gibbs, but Gibbs is ahead of Jack IMO. Maybe Gibbs or Yarran trade, but I don't like either. Or JW might get us a late 1st round pick, if we are lucky. The guy just hasnt shown much and isn't worth that much.

I think you are right but if Gibbs were on offer I wouldn't be unhappy. He is streets ahead of Jack at the moment.

I think you are right but if Gibbs were on offer I wouldn't be unhappy. He is streets ahead of Jack at the moment.

Agreed rjay. People keep talking about Jack and Mick Malthouse in the same sentence, so it kinda makes sense. If you take the hype of being a no1 pick out of the equation, both Watts and Gibbs' careers have been largely mediocre with the occasional patch of potential on show. Given our mid vacancies, Gibbs would be more important to us than Watts.

I think there is some serious overestimation of Watts value in most if not all of those trade suggestions. Need to be prepared for disappointment if you think those straight swaps are realistic. He's probably worth a second round pick at this stage.

• Like 1

I think there is some serious overestimation of Watts value in most if not all of those trade suggestions. Need to be prepared for disappointment if you think those straight swaps are realistic. He's probably worth a second round pick at this stage.

Probably right there but on future value something might be given up. I mean we got a good pick for Brock, just used it poorly.

It was only a few weeks ago we were singing his praises at taking that clutch mark against the Dogs in the final minute of the game. That right there shows you that he has got that footy nous as well as sublime skills. It's easy to compare him to the likes of Jack Darling and Hurley etc but everyone's different and clubs develop players in different ways too. Let's all remember that the club has not developed any real stars at all for the last 10 years. Jacks consistency to compete is relative to many others on our lists lack of consistency such as effort, tackling, hitting targets etc.. The whole list is in dire need of a new FD structure and decent coach and just when we're about to get them many here say Jack can GAGF because he was a little vocal on a stupid TV show.

Personally, I'll be [censored] off if Watts is traded. The coaches available for hire right now would love to mould Watts into the star he is capable of becoming. Just like many of the other clubs that are waiting for the trade period thinking they'll get Watts cheap.

If he was to go, like others, I would hope for a hard midfielder. Swallow would be an amazing trade but highly unlikely.

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 3

imo Jack Watts should be given his marching orders even if he decides to stay, not committed, no Character we need different types to get back to where we belong

Jack Watts is a solid B grade footballer, probably a little lazy and laconic, maybe that would change at another club who knows, certainly has superstar potential but at this stage no work eithic

if we wants to go trades i could see/ would be happy with

Carlton: pick 9

GC: Pick 2 and jack watts for Swallow, Prestia and 2nd round pick

GWS: Adams

Freo: first round pick and viv

Lions: Hanley or Watts and pick 20 for Rockliff ( if he wants to come home )

Crows: Vince

North: First round pick

Edited by Demonfan26

Wasn't it last season when reports were Watts to the roos for the second rounder? On what he has done to date that's probably fair value.

We won't get anywhere close to these trades some here are dreaming. Watts just isn't rated by many and people will make offers accordingly.

We have invested so much time in him that what's best for us now is to probably keep him and just plonk him on a HBF and play the swing man role.

• Like 1

Geez there are some fanciful suggestions in here. Rich?? Redden?? Sloane?? Swallow?? Gibbs??

Kidding yourselfs.

As mentioned in the OP - 'some are rediculous' but perhaps you could look at the other side of the equation. Some coaches (the media's telling us about Malthouse and Lyon) will think they can make Watts the star he should be and are in need (some desperate) of tall forwards. We also have picks 2, 20 + 38ish to work with and potentially a priority pick - most would acknowledge Watts in his own right wont land a gun. We also have to factor in that no one will want to play for Melbourne, except the odd fringe-dwelling, homesick Victorian.

Let's look at Brisbane, for example: Jonathan Brown wants to retire but may have to do another year as there's no one else (astoundingly, Stef Martin couldn't solve all their problems). I suspect they will trade aggressively for a tall forward. Assuming Watts doesn't demand to be traded to Club A, then there's some scope for a trade. Looking at their mids:

Jared Polec - highly rated underachiever that I expect Brisbane will trade for the right price. I wouldn't be surprised if he flourished back in Sth Aust so a three way deal might work with picks.

Patrick Karnezis - talented underachiever with no defensive side - we have plenty of those! Fit's the fringe-dwelling homesick Victorian category.

Daniel Rich - (nearly) a gun who cant handle a tag. Redden - gun with occasional disappearing acts and Mayes - gun in the making, would all be in the same category Ie. Nigh on impossible to get over the line without dropping Boyd in their laps. There is the similar scenario for Rockliff, who conveniently is a Victorian. If he wants to come home we'd throw bucket loads at him to distract him from finals aspirations at a decent club. Watts and Pick 20? Watts and 2 for Rockliff and 8 (or whatever it is) What do you think it would take to get Rockliff assuming he wants a return to Victoria?

Dayne Zorko - could not extract from Qld

Clay Beams - Nothing special and injury prone

James Polkinghorne - spud

Harwood - Fringe dwelling inside mid from the mappa

Lester- don't know enough him

Carlton...

Edited by Roger Mellie
  • Like 1

Wasn't it last season when reports were Watts to the roos for the second rounder? On what he has done to date that's probably fair value.

We won't get anywhere close to these trades some here are dreaming. Watts just isn't rated by many and people will make offers accordingly.

We have invested so much time in him that what's best for us now is to probably keep him and just plonk him on a HBF and play the swing man role.

Watts isn't rated due to him being the leagues whipping boy. The fact of the matter is he is worth quite a bit. I base this on if you were to ask any team in the league would they have him in their best 22.. you would be hard pressed to find a team that says no..

Watts isn't rated due to him being the leagues whipping boy. The fact of the matter is he is worth quite a bit. I base this on if you were to ask any team in the league would they have him in their best 22.. you would be hard pressed to find a team that says no..

Even in the media they are hesitant to gauge what Jack is worth, but I dare say that most sides would give up a late first rounder.

Carlton, Fremantle and Brisbane will look at Watts, Port would be silly not to.

Jack should stay at Melbourne though, we are going places, even if it doesn't look like it at present.

• Like 1

My wishlist for the prima donna is pretty much David Swallow or Taylor Adams. There have been reports that Swallow is interested in a move to Victoria to be closer to his Brother and Adams has put contract talks with GWS on hold. Why would they want to come to the Dees ? That's the hard part.

Tip Toes won't land either by himself, so what is the sweetener ? Blease is probably worth a packet of chips and Tip Toes around pick 20. TT and pick 19 for Adams ? TT and pick 2 for Swallow and pick 20 something ?

Whatever we do we need to land a young strong classy mid that has had a few years at AFL level.

• Like 3

Even in the media they are hesitant to gauge what Jack is worth, but I dare say that most sides would give up a late first rounder.

Carlton, Fremantle and Brisbane will look at Watts, Port would be silly not to.

Jack should stay at Melbourne though, we are going places, even if it doesn't look like it at present.

I am sure Brisbane would give up their first round pick or maybe even Polec and a 2nd or a 3rd rounder for Watts... especially if Brown retires. Even if people feel that's overs (I dont) i

My wishlist for the prima donna is pretty much David Swallow or Taylor Adams. There have been reports that Swallow is interested in a move to Victoria to be closer to his Brother and Adams has put contract talks with GWS on hold. Why would they want to come to the Dees ? That's the hard part.

Tip Toes won't land either by himself, so what is the sweetener ? Blease is probably worth a packet of chips and Tip Toes around pick 20. TT and pick 19 for Adams ? TT and pick 2 for Swallow and pick 20 something ?

Whatever we do we need to land a young strong classy mid that has had a few years at AFL level.

I think GWS is pretty much resigned to losing Adams. It's just a question of what deal can be done.

That said, I don't think any of the GWS players have any respect for the MFC. I reckon he'll play in Victoria next year - just not with us.

I think GWS is pretty much resigned to losing Adams. It's just a question of what deal can be done.

That said, I don't think any of the GWS players have any respect for the MFC. I reckon he'll play in Victoria next year - just not with us.

Big money may change his mind. We will have to pay overs for him or Swallow or whomever.