The Trade/Draft Rumour Mill

MadAsHell

Optimistic hypothetical, but who would you take if we were in a situation where we offered pick 2 and were offered

Rory Sloane, or Tom Rockcliff or David Swallow

for mine i'd take Tommy Rockcliff, he has captaincy potential, inside outside mid, good skills, the right age to suit our list perfectly.

Rory Sloane would however get serious consideration, toss of the coin between those two really.

Sloane as it would pee off my [censored] neighbour off who is an Adelaide fan big time.

Besides that he is a good player and would slot straight into the midfield.

I watched Rockliff a couple of times in the stingrays sides with an old mate. He said he liked Rockliff, who was playing as a small forward kicking bundles of goals thru the season.

I said to my friend, he's too slow & too short to be a goal kicking small forward. I thought he was limited as a player & suggested he would have to be an in/under mid. but I didn't consider him seriously in that role with his pace, etc compared to other TAC kids playing thru the middle.

One of the mids I liked that year, as a 2ndRnd or 3rdRnd pick was DeBoer, as a hard working inside mid. I got canned for him as well.

its very easy, maybe too easy to discount some kids on early impressions.

Rockcliff, Parker and Sloane are players that sides have overlooked - without real explanation.

Recruiters are like sheep and for a few years there they believed with the game speeding up - that athletic types were the future.

I enjoyed Rocky as a junior, he was always classy around the goals, not surprised he has gone on with it.

• Like 2

Rockcliff, Parker and Sloane are players that sides have overlooked - without real explanation.

Recruiters are like sheep and for a few years there they believed with the game speeding up - that athletic types were the future.

I enjoyed Rocky as a junior, he was always classy around the goals, not surprised he has gone on with it.

it isn't all down to the recruiters though - in the end they don't determine the style of football being played by the club. If they want to go with the running types then that's what they look closely for. To simply blame them for others being overlooked is short sighted at best.

• Like 1

So on the way out of Perth airport I said "enjoy your break mate, I look forward to seeing you kick a few more again next year", I believe his mother had come to pick him up who was with him, he replied in a very nice manner with a "thanks mate".

Edit: Mobile phone typo

Actually saw him coming out of the GF Footy Show (free tickets, wouldnt pay for that) last night with what looked like some family who were over to see Freo in the GF.

Smaller than he seems on the ground. Nice kid though, respectable.

Looked good in his MFC suit and shirt from the B&F.

Didn't interrupt him cos he seemed to be busy catching up with family.

Optimistic hypothetical, but who would you take if we were in a situation where we offered pick 2 and were offered

Rory Sloane, or Tom Rockcliff or David Swallow

for mine i'd take Tommy Rockcliff, he has captaincy potential, inside outside mid, good skills, the right age to suit our list perfectly.

Rory Sloane would however get serious consideration, toss of the coin between those two really.

I want more then 1 player from P2, otherwise use it ourselves.

convert it into a multiple, or keep it... trade a player & a pick for one of those guys, keeping P2.

or P2 & P36/player for Rockliff & Docherty, or P2 & P36 for Rockliff & P8

or P2 & P20 for Swallow + P18 & P57

it isn't all down to the recruiters though - in the end they don't determine the style of football being played by the club. If they want to go with the running types then that's what they look closely for. To simply blame them for others being overlooked is short sighted at best.

It's down to the recruiters.

Interesting if true. Of the three (Sloane, Rockliff, Swallow), I'd take either Sloane or Rockliff ahead of Swallow for pick 2.

As between Sloane or Rockliff, I'm torn. Probably Rockcliff.

I'd take Swallow. He hasn't reached the heights of the other two due, in part due to his age, but has the highest ceiling.

But it's all academic. None will be at the club next year.

• Like 7

Interesting if true. Of the three (Sloane, Rockliff, Swallow), I'd take either Sloane or Rockliff ahead of Swallow for pick 2.

As between Sloane or Rockliff, I'm torn. Probably Rockcliff.

I would take all three if u twisted my arm!!

Did somebody read you the thread on Demonland entitled 'Big Americans training with Roos at Swans Academy' that began three and a half weeks ago in which the OP states: 'Anyway with Roos having the inside knowledge I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these guys come on to our list as a rookie''?

No haven't seen it. Will have a look. Thx

I heard a rumour yesterday that montagna is linked with Dees.

To be honest not sure how I'd feel about this. I suppose if it was for a 2nd round pick it'd be ok.

I think a lot of it is just the nature of this time of year, we said we would be active this off season so every mid fielder will be linked to us at some stage haha.

Got the feeling Roos will want a coup.

Would love to get Leigh Montagna without giving up any picks ( i am assuming hes an unrestricted free agent)

the guy averaged 30 disposals, 4 tackles and kicked 16 goals this season

He is a ball magnet and send the ball inside 50 with regularity

Hogan, Dawes , Howe and Clark would love him

Pensioner, wouldn't pay anything for him.

far from a pensioner, hes 29 and turns 30 in a couple of months

He's got a few years left the problem is we aren't going to be playing off for a flag any time soon. It's a fine balance between trading for a mature mid but we can't give up too much for someone who won't be around too long. I'm all for picking up mature players through FA or trading if they are in the 22-25 age bracket.

Montagna is an absolute [censored]. Plus, he only has a couple of years left, and is overrated anyway.

The 'Aints will want far too much, as well

Edited by Demonof94

Would love to get Leigh Montagna without giving up any picks ( i am assuming hes an unrestricted free agent)

the guy averaged 30 disposals, 4 tackles and kicked 16 goals this season

He is a ball magnet and send the ball inside 50 with regularity

Hogan, Dawes , Howe and Clark would love him

Contracted

He's got a few years left the problem is we aren't going to be playing off for a flag any time soon. It's a fine balance between trading for a mature mid but we can't give up too much for someone who won't be around too long. I'm all for picking up mature players through FA or trading if they are in the 22-25 age bracket.

Are you kidding, not playing off for a flag soon? Wow. You did watch us right? 2013? You saw that? I know what you are trying to say, but we need ANYONE who can add to our list. People who don't see that, are really delusional. Wow so he comes in for 2 years. So what! We need all the help we can get.

• Like 2

We need players who can have an impact straight away - we are so bad that we need instant improvement. Forget about development players for a year or two, right now we need to recruit and draft to become instantly competitive. Montagna is the kind of player we should be trying to grab, as long as we aren't paying too much for him.

• Like 2

We need players who can have an impact straight away - we are so bad that we need instant improvement. Forget about development players for a year or two, right now we need to recruit and draft to become instantly competitive. Montagna is the kind of player we should be trying to grab, as long as we aren't paying too much for him.

This is what we should be looking for. If we try the quick fix with the Montagna's of this world we might get a slight bump in performance for a year or 2 then be right back where we started or even worse. It's fools gold.

• Like 1

This is what we should be looking for. If we try the quick fix with the Montagna's of this world we might get a slight bump in performance for a year or 2 then be right back where we started or even worse. It's fools gold.

It's not a quick fix, it's stabilizing the list. We grab a couple of guys in their late twenties to fill the experience gaps that have been there for years and then aim younger. We need a more balanced list, this has been obvious for years.

• Like 1