Why didn't anyone see this coming March 2013

Soidee

After Neelds second pre season there appeared to be no obvious signs that we would be so rotten at the seasons start.

Neelds words were bullish at the start of the season and yet not one MFC insider announced any negativity about 2013. All expectations were we would win between 5 and 8 games and further improve in 2014. So why didn't anyone at the club including board level see any warning signs?

We almost had a injury free list at the start yet no one including Neeld expected we would fall over so easily. Now we have to totally restructure and I have heard nobody take actual responsibility.

Don resigns but does not apologise for such a mess. Everyone who will go will just walk away without anyone knowing exactly why we ended up in such a pathetic position. Who the hell is responsible and what did they do wrong. Does anyone know the actual reasons why the players are not improving under Neeld? Lots of questions but not many answers.

• Like 1

After Neelds second pre season there appeared to be no obvious signs that we would be so rotten at the seasons start.

Neelds words were bullish at the start of the season and yet not one MFC insider announced any negativity about 2013. All expectations were we would win between 5 and 8 games and further improve in 2014. So why didn't anyone at the club including board level see any warning signs?

We almost had a injury free list at the start yet no one including Neeld expected we would fall over so easily. Now we have to totally restructure and I have heard nobody take actual responsibility.

Don resigns but does not apologise for such a mess. Everyone who will go will just walk away without anyone knowing exactly why we ended up in such a pathetic position. Who the hell is responsible and what did they do wrong. Does anyone know the actual reasons why the players are not improving under Neeld? Lots of questions but not many answers.

The club might have been bullish....the rest of the footy world weren't. A number of writers put us last on their list. I always wondered what the hell did they know that we didn't. And David King's prediction in April 2012 that the MFC was absolutely stuffed - I and others thought he's just a [censored] - but he was right. What the hell did he know that we didn't.

Lots of unspoken stuff here.

Probably be a book about it one day. (rudeboy?....just joking.)

• Like 1

Soidee how long have you been on this site mate? Old Dee saw it coming. Warned us infinitum. Even said he was non plussed with Neeld's appointment on the day he was appointed and believed it was a grave mistake by the club.

No need for this thread. Just look to Old Dee mate. Word from the wise

• Like 1

The club might have been bullish....the rest of the footy world weren't. A number of writers put us last on their list. I always wondered what the hell did they know that we didn't. And David King's prediction in April 2012 that the MFC was absolutely stuffed - I and others thought he's just a [censored] - but he was right. What the hell did he know that we didn't.

Lots of unspoken stuff here.

Probably be a book about it one day. (rudeboy?....just joking.)

To be honest though, David King fell over his d*** and got that prediction right. I remember him rattling on about how 'something had to be done' but he wouldn't go as far as suggesting Neeld be sacked. That's the greatest Clayton's call to action there is.

He and Sellars McLure are the biggest pair of donkeys on TV. People accuse Ox of being Mr. Dial A Quote but Bill and Ben the Flower Pot Men find any little problem they can get and overblow it (i.e. Jack Riewoldt is the new Fevola while completely ignoring that Jack, while being a bit of an 'I am....', has never had problems with the turps and isn't a negative influence on the Tiges)

Mate I picked us to finish 18th and now feel I was optimistic. I said so on this site and was rubbished. How others could not se that the coach had butchered the list I really don't know. The Board didn't know because it listened to the coach who'd proved to be absolutely hopeless, with a dud gameplan in 2012

To be honest though, David King fell over his d*** and got that prediction right...

King has made some moronic calls in the past. Writing off Geelong in 2011 springs to mind. But broken clocks are right twice a day, and a footy talking head that makes 500 predictions a year will get a couple of them right too. He's a lightweight.

• Like 2

Maybe looking in the past is part of the problem

Its certainly not the solution

Don't agree - looking at the past is our only way out of this mess. Lets make sure we do the complete opposite to what we did the last two times (rebuilds) and we will be fine!

So I think the past is part of the solution:

(2008-2013) = failure ...... (unproven coaches + ignorant board and structure etc. etc. etc.)

inverse(2008-2013) = Success

Edited by Young Dee

hang on a second.

the board told neeld when he started that there was a culture problem.

neeld comes in and says "We are starting over".

gets rid of egos like moloney who sulked when he wasnt given the captaincy.

brings in non egos who are literally there to work hard and show the kids how its done, as well as talented kids.

people panic when we dont get results immediately.

i didnt expect us to be this bad but consider this about our list;

key backs (tick)

key forwards (tick)

young captains with a heap of potential (tick)

some young midfielders also with a heap of potential (tick)

the midfield is the gaping hole in our list - but it is also the one that is quickest to fix.

the culture of the club amongst the players WAS toxic. this is on the path to being fixed - if you think a culture can be changed overnight, dream on, but it CAN be changed.

• Like 7

Soidee how long have you been on this site mate? Old Dee saw it coming. Warned us infinitum. Even said he was non plussed with Neeld's appointment on the day he was appointed and believed it was a grave mistake by the club.

No need for this thread. Just look to Old Dee mate. Word from the wise

Rusted Nail - Neeld was and continues to be a huge mistake until his ripcord is pulled, but he is not the only mistake.

What baffles me concerns our former champions who have shown a distinct cavalier approach to keeping the incompetent boys club alive such as G Lyon. In doing so they have wrecked any credibility this club has left.

Personally I just want the best possible people in to manage and coach this club regardless of where they have come from. MFC people have proved nothing in their efforts to improve this football club.

Comments re King are spot on. They recently replayed his comments regarding Neeld last year. He couldn't have looked more smug if he tried. His comments were still premature. The fact they now appear to be correct doesn't alter the fact that at the time, there was not enough evidence to make such a call.

Every time he is introduced as one of "the sharpest minds in footy" I vomit just a little bit. He's lucky Maclure is there on 360 to make him look like slightly less of a toolbag.

• Like 4

Did the MFC pay homage to Thor the god of war at the start of the season?

I feel that this important task was neglected so the Club has paid the price.

Gods can be vengeful you know.

Predicting disaster is almost a win-win bet. If it doesn't happen, no one takes much notice because we are all so happy about how well we are going. If it does, then the predictor of disaster can puff out his chest as a wise expert. So if you are in the prediction business, make the majority of your 500 predictions negative and you will be a success.

• Like 2

Very good question. I went to the AGM earlier this year, and came away quite optimistic about our off-field and on-field positions.

We were shown some graphs showing we were mid-range for football dept spending (I thought we were somewhere near the bottom), plans to increase it further. A small profit for last year under difficult circumstances. All sounded good.

On-field, there seemed to be positivity that we would do better than a lot of the pundits expected. Neeld answered all the questions well I thought.

I can't believe how different (on-field and off-field) things are right now. Why have an AGM if the discussions are not realistic?

Very good question. I went to the AGM earlier this year, and came away quite optimistic about our off-field and on-field positions.

We were shown some graphs showing we were mid-range for football dept spending (I thought we were somewhere near the bottom), plans to increase it further. A small profit for last year under difficult circumstances. All sounded good.

On-field, there seemed to be positivity that we would do better than a lot of the pundits expected. Neeld answered all the questions well I thought.

I can't believe how different (on-field and off-field) things are right now. Why have an AGM if the discussions are not realistic?

Power point presentations, you got to love them.

They can sell you anything.

To quote the man "We didn't see it comin, just didn't see it comin. I mean we train well"

FMD!!!!!!!!

Did the MFC pay homage to Thor the god of war at the start of the season?

I feel that this important task was neglected so the Club has paid the price.

Gods can be vengeful you know.

Thor is the god of thunder - nothing to do with war ;)

It has puzzled me how our NAB cup form didn't worry some folk. We were crap - saw most of the games live, and we were crap. "Don't worry, it will all be right on the night" was the reply...

sigh

We NEVER enter the pre-season with any momentum. Our team doesn't play together until round 1. We play few practice matches and have not intensity with our match drills. We are an unknown quantity, And when we get smashed in rd 1 like we have since 2007 (bar one draw) we fall apart.

Four out of the last 6 years we have been 1 and 10 after rd 11.

We need to start our training in Oct with footballs in hand playing match after match to drill into players what is expected and how to play. tell the sports scientists to sod off. Play football.

Thor is the god of thunder - nothing to do with war ;)

LOL B)

You are both right and wrong.

Thor was the god of war, thunder and strength.

http://thenorsegods.com/thor/