• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Dees to meet AFL Commission today - the latest from Caro.

Does anyone else find it slightly humorous that if we get funding support from the AFL, they will essentially be funding our payment of the "not tanking but bringing integrity of the sport into disrepute" fine.

I don't think the dees were ever going to pay the fine it was the AFL saving face cause of the lengthy investigation.

We will get a good fistful of $$$$$$$ today and we are on our way along with a plan ahead of course.

He was given the opportunity by a 'journalist', a free kick, so he took it, deflects away from the millions they received, holier than thou

How many 'millions' have the Swans received? Do you know? People criticising the Swans financials are just shooting blind.

And how many top 10 draft picks have they had in the last decade?

Melbourne are dreadful. We'd do well to study the Swans, even without a 'cost of living' allowance.

• Like 8

I think its a very premature statement by CW to call MN getting the boot at the end of this month - particularly considering we are playing WBD and St Kilda next. A win, which isn't that far fetched, from either of those clubs would keep him in there for a bit longer.

Haha my thoughts as well - could he be the first coach in history to get the sack after a win?

The only point from the article that I agree with is about how are list is in a similar position to GWS. I've been trying to make this point for some time in all the sack Neeld/keep Neeld threads (please I don't want to start another one here).

If we are truly rebuilding, it makes sense that we would be in a similar position to the expansion clubs development wise. GC started 0-14 last season, in the second year of their existence. GWS has no wins to date in its second year. We have just one in the 2nd year of our rebuilding using the GC and GWS approach.

Oh please - their lists have far more talent than ours does. ;)

• Like 3

I wonder if it was part of the deal with the AFL regarding the whole tanking saga:

Demetrio: So we haven't got enough to say you tanked, but we've got to make an example of you to discourage others, so how about a negotiated outcome??

McLardy: Well given you don't have a snow flakes chance in hell of convicting us in legal proceedings, you better give us something for slandering our clubs name!

Demetrio: How about we fine you a ridiculous amount for bringing the integrity of the game into disrepute, then that will take you into a financial deficit, we'll then bail you out with some additional funding, and that will cover the legal costs and the fine. Sound good?

McLardy: Agreed.

Over the past 7 years (since 2006) we have had 5 top 10 draft picks...interesting to note over the past 3 years we have had 1 top 10 pick

Cale Morton #4 - 2007

Jack Watts #1 - 2008

Tom Scully #1 - 2009

Jack Trengove #2 - 2009

Jimmy Toumpas #4 - 2012

Over that same period (since 2006):

• Carlton had 3 [top 10 picks]
  • West Coast had 4
  • Buldogs had 3
  • Essendon had 4
  • Port Adelaide had 5
  • Gold Coast had 5
  • GWS had 11

I think its pretty easy for an interstate footy boss to critise a Victorian team considering the money thrown at them over the past 20 years.

It's top 20 picks we've had an abundance of over the last 10 years for appalling results.

• Like 3

It's top 20 picks we've had an abundance of over the last 10 years for appalling results.

I'm not sure how many we've had, but I'd like to look at first round picks rather than top 10 or top 20. Top 20 is skewed because apart from the expansion years the four worst sides always received two top 20 picks.

Funny how the clubs that have received probably the lowest number of top 20 picks, Sydney and Geelong, have had the most success. It says a lot about our atrocious recruiting and coaching.

I'm not sure how many we've had, but I'd like to look at first round picks rather than top 10 or top 20. Top 20 is skewed because apart from the expansion years the four worst sides always received two top 20 picks.

Top 20 picks are strong and the end of the first round has varied over different years. They're virtually first round picks these days anyway.

Either way, we've squandered draft day for a decade. And the ones we've got didn't come into an elite environment. So I agree that it's not all about the selections, but a hell of a lot of it is.

You might want to just leave your issues with me at the door, mjt, you're embarrassing yourself.

And by the way, 'lol' stands for 'laugh out loud.'

Just go back to the Jeff thread and scream like a baby.

Moderators, i strongly agree with the stance about inter personal abuse. It pathetic, boorish and tedious to the extreme. However there has also been a big increase in outrageous and disgusting comments such as the one above about spitting in CS face. Foul and should not be tolerated. I searched for the report button to no avail. I know biffen has form but based on his suspension surely HH deserves a a long ban.Too much.

The next time anyone wants to joke about the 'feral' supporters of other clubs they might want to pause and re read some of pathetic posts on DL from a small but unfortunately vocal minority

agreed,,, it's distasteful, but no more than rhinos obnoxious abuse of the past...

& while you mention feral supporters.... we need a base of grassroots supporters & with that comes all that it brings... viva la difference.

if you want to ban someone for a long time, for a disgruntled throw away line, then there are many-most, who cross the bridge using insults...

maybe we should bring in a 2 day ban for minor mis-deemeanor's.

• Like 1

Funny how the clubs that have received probably the lowest number of top 20 picks, Sydney and Geelong, have had the most success. It says a lot about our atrocious recruiting and coaching.

I'd say it says more about the fantastic cultures they have at their clubs, and their ability to develop players, rather than just the coaching and recruiting.

Also, don't forget that Geelong had a couple of very nice father son selections which helped them along the way: Ablett Jr (pick 40), Nathan Ablett (pick 48) Hawkins (pick 41), Scarlett (pick 45), Mark Blake (pick 38). They also traded in some key players like Harley and Ottens.

Also, if you look over some of the drafts, they have not always hit the money with their first round picks. They have also had some big misses. They've grabbed some good one's late or in the 2nd round onwards like Hunt, Stokes, Stevie J. We've also got some nice later picks like Howe, Gawn, McDonald. I think Culture is the key for Sydney and Geelong.

Edit: expanded comments

Edited by pm24
  • Like 2

I'd say it says more about the fantastic cultures they have at their clubs, and their ability to develop players, rather than just the coaching and recruiting.

But that is where Culture comes from.

ie Norm Smith jim Cardwell

Interesting AFL.COM.AU article on Colless' view of MFC. Link

thats a good read, & I was hoping a couple of months back, that someone may have suggested the outgoing Richard Colless, as a possiblity for our Club, & its situation.

I've thought we need his type on our side, for some time. a strong quiet Chairman of the Board.

I will laugh so hard if she is proven on wrong on many of those counts. How did Schwab extend Connolly's contract?

Schwab may have set things up, but Jackson was began in the role on 1 May 2013, and Connolly's contract extension was announced on 31 May 2013. So Caro, how exactly did Connolly's extension happen under Schwab???

Also, if Jackson didn't want Connolly to continue I doubt he would have allowed an announcement about Connolly's extension to go public.

I also don't believe the statement that Neeld will be removed as coach by the end of the month. I think Jackson has a fair bit of integrity from what we've seen to date, and he's not going to say "I'm going to give Neeld some clean air" (or whatever the phrase was), and that the football department needed to be sorted first, and then backflip and get rid of Neeld just 3 weeks later.

She's just holding the lines that she has held for some time. Nothing to see here people, unless you want to feel dumber for the experience of reading anything Caroline Wilson writes.

Connolly's contract was signed sealed and delivered long before Jackson got there. When his suspension was reported it was stated at the time that he had two years remaining on his contact and would be back at the club for season 2014 and 2015.

Connolly was protected by his great mate Schwab and knew he'd be alright as long as he was there. The piece that appeared in the Herald Sun was nothing more than Connolly trying to pump up his own tyres and remind everyone that he still has a contract with the club. Reading between the lines I would say he can see which way the wind is blowing now that Peter Jackson is in charge, I can't imagine PJ letting him anywhere near the place tbh, contract or not and I think Connolly probably knows this.

Connolly's contract was signed sealed and delivered long before Jackson got there. When his suspension was reported it was stated at the time that he had two years remaining on his contact and would be back at the club for season 2014 and 2015.

Connolly was protected by his great mate Schwab and knew he'd be alright as long as he was there. The piece that appeared in the Herald Sun was nothing more than Connolly trying to pump up his own tyres and remind everyone that he still has a contract with the club. Reading between the lines I would say he can see which way the wind is blowing now that Peter Jackson is in charge, I can't imagine PJ letting him anywhere near the place tbh, contract or not and I think Connolly probably knows this.

I can guarantee that the great Clubman takes his 2yr pay when he's sacked, it's amazing how CS has conducted business, bloody disgraceful.
  • Like 1