Kennett future MelbourneFC President?

Satan

There is a sense of irony around the whole Kennett thing.

Many vocal critics of Neeld have damned him for his "crash through or crash" philosophy. Neeld has shown that he knows how to use the stick ( slash and burn) but the biggest question mark over him is his ability to use the carrot and bring the players along with him.

In Kennett you have a mirror image.

Not saying it is a good or bad thing but you can be sure that Kennett will tip the club upside down much in the same way that Neeld has attempted.

Edited by nutbean

How obvious is that comment. RPFC, I think this is the first time I have strongly agreed with you.

Like I stated before, I would like you to tell the whole of Demonland the last time that worked for us?
  • Like 1

His running mate will be CEO of tourism Tasmania and he'll negotiate cheaper rates for us to see home games travelling on the Princess

HaHaHa, what,,, one way tickets to save on costs. ;)

& Nasher will miss out on the discounts?

I just hope he's Not on this ticket.

Id be pepared to entertain this.

The proviso:

1) i want to see who else is prepared to put hand up, who their team is. What they intend to do and how they would make thst happen .

2) same for Jeff. Who how etc.

Id give him a hearing. Ive met and talked with him a number of times over the last 0-25 years. Without question his ego fills a room. Without question hesitation not always right. Without question he has the ability to make things happen and bring accountability to the fore.

You know exactly where you stand with Jeff lol

He , even by his own admissions , made mistakes; often of fervour and sometimes lost sight of the gosl line and went too far. He has mellowed a little (seiously lol )

He would actually be one of the very few who could marry ability vision , clarity of understanding of who and what Melbourne is together with an ego sizable to succeed.

Id give it serious consideration. Only a fool would dismiss out of hand.

I'll back PJ over JK. Things are starting to happen, let them. We will have new people running things at the MFC, let's not sabotage that.

PS. JK called for Clarkson to go after round 1, us to merge and/or be relocated as well. He is not a MFC member and is a lifelong Hawk. Says it all for me.

• Like 3

Like I stated before, I would like you to tell the whole of Demonland the last time that worked for us?

Jim aside

Bring back Joe Gutnick! Dig up norm smith and put him on the board!

don't need to dig him, we can just drag his statue inside to the Chair. sit & salute.

the quicker we move the MFC Offices away from the 'G',,, the sooner we will have a more settled political environment with more Footy Savvy people onboard for the footy club,, & not for Ego purposes.

Reading all these posts, it's obvious the pro versus anti Jeff For Prez is split down the middle. I think his politics should be left completely out of the debate and centre purely around whether or not he can help lead us out of the deep mire in which we find ourselves with what he can bring to the table.

We seem to have embraced Peter Jackson as an MFC outsider without question as a mover and shaker, and yet Jeff polarises like no other, save perhaps Eddie. A bull in a china shop approach yes, but a man who thrives on a challenge, as an ex Premier passionate about the Melbourne brand (the city - but we carry its name - he made a point of this) and he was president of a club with a demographic not dissimilar to our own. And as a previous non-supporter, like Jackson, he will see us with other eyes.

What I think this club needs is exactly what outsiders like PJ and Jeff can bring - an outside perspective from hugely successful football environments that have tasted the ultimate. For the past 50 years, we have navel gazed from the inside to no avail with small smatterings of success along the way without having achieved that ultimate.

We are constantly painted as beige with no personality and we stand for nothing. We have well meaning diehard supporters who are successful in business who are voted in to take on roles within the club and yet they continually fall short, apparently because of something called "our culture" of which they also become tarred because that is who or what we are.

It is time to take on a completely fresh approach to fix something that has been broken for 50 years. If it takes non Melbourne supporters, like Jackson and Kennett to rebrand us, give us corporate governance, profile, gravitas, sponsorship, respect, even success (dare we dream) - then why not? We are severely lacking in all these areas. Kennett's performance on Footy Classified early this year was almost statesman like in its depth of understanding of the issues within the AFL and in his role at Beyond Blue similar understanding of the frailties of the human condition.

Sure he is full of hot air, bluff and bluster and he has that great ability to put his foot in it, however he is a winner and a can-do person, with much clout and many contacts and along with Peter Jackson, knows what it takes to be successful. He will make the place hum again, which will draw in more supporters and support, which will encourage our players to want to stay and have players from other clubs wanting to be part of it.

Our club has not hummed for a long time - and it is about time it did again.

• Like 5

Jim aside

Yeah he never got to finish the job he started, they won't answer the question because they don't like the truthful answer, I have followed this club for over 3decades and I am yet to see a successful president , it's time for a change, and so far I have only seen one put his hand up, we could do a lot worse.

I'll back PJ over JK. Things are starting to happen, let them. We will have new people running things at the MFC, let's not sabotage that.

PS. JK called for Clarkson to go after round 1, us to merge and/or be relocated as well. He is not a MFC member and is a lifelong Hawk. Says it all for me.

Thats right. Lets NOT listen to what he might have to say and who wants to run/join him

Lets NOT do that huh.

JK arent vying for the same job Red. PJ would still be there doing the Dickers-esque role.

Dissappointed Red. Thought you were open to reasoned argument. IF you are just biased.say so.

Times have changed. Were totally dysfunctional currently save PJ and we await his actions.

I await a cjoice and information .Then and only then will i use my vote

Reading all these posts, it's obvious the pro versus anti Jeff For Prez is split down the middle. I think his politics should be left completely out of the debate and centre purely around whether or not he can help lead us out of the deep mire in which we find ourselves with what he can bring to the table.

We seem to have embraced Peter Jackson as an MFC outsider without question as a mover and shaker, and yet Jeff polarises like no other, save perhaps Eddie. A bull in a china shop approach yes, but a man who thrives on a challenge, as an ex Premier passionate about the Melbourne brand (the city - but we carry its name - he made a point of this) and he was president of a club with a demographic not dissimilar to our own. And as a previous non-supporter, like Jackson, he will see us with other eyes.

What I think this club needs is exactly what outsiders like PJ and Jeff can bring - an outside perspective from hugely successful football environments that have tasted the ultimate. For the past 50 years, we have navel gazed from the inside to no avail with small smatterings of success along the way without having achieved that ultimate.

We are constantly painted as beige with no personality and we stand for nothing. We have well meaning diehard supporters who are successful in business who are voted in to take on roles within the club and yet they continually fall short, apparently because of something called "our culture" of which they also become tarred because that is who or what we are.

It is time to take on a completely fresh approach to fix something that has been broken for 50 years. If it takes non Melbourne supporters, like Jackson and Kennett to rebrand us, give us corporate governance, profile, gravitas, sponsorship, respect, even success (dare we dream) - then why not? We are severely lacking in all these areas. Kennett's performance on Footy Classified early this year was almost statesman like in its depth of understanding of the issues within the AFL and in his role at Beyond Blue similar understanding of the frailties of the human condition.

Sure he is full of hot air, bluff and bluster and he has that great ability to put his foot in it, however he is a winner and a can-do person, with much clout and many contacts and along with Peter Jackson, knows what it takes to be successful. He will make the place hum again, which will draw in more supporters and support, which will encourage our players to want to stay and have players from other clubs wanting to be part of it.

Agree

Excellent post.

I am certain that if Jeff can bring on a competing board ticket, full of successful Melbourne members and get endorsement from the AFL he will successful force a EGM that he will win.

I call of Jeff to do just that.

• Like 1

Thats right. Lets NOT listen to what he might have to say and who wants to run/join him

Lets NOT do that huh.

JK arent vying for the same job Red. PJ would still be there doing the Dickers-esque role.

Dissappointed Red. Thought you were open to reasoned argument. IF you are just biased.say so.

Times have changed. Were totally dysfunctional currently save PJ and we await his actions.

Are you on drugs?

I simply expressed my opinion, sorry about that. Does that make me biased?

PS. What if PJ won't work with JK?

• Like 2

Are you on drugs?

You mean there are people out there that wouldnt work with JK ? Who would have thought.

I am so divided over the "JK" type person as president as they are the proverbial double edged sword.

He would definitely be a crash through or crash leader and the issue with that is whether you are comfortable with the shiny car that he wants to crash through with.

He has certainly been pro merger and pro relocation in the past and has been shown to be divisive at Hawthorn. He may do great things for our club but it is the definition of great that is worrying and the cost it comes at.

Lets NOT do that huh.

Are you on drugs?

I think a lot of people are confusing roles at a football club. Neil Balme pointed this out pretty well, it is the CEO's job to run the club, the board and the President oversee this on behalf of the members. There role is a governance role.

Peter Jackson will be the agent of change we need at this club, he will need the support of a strong President and board. Jeff is more likely to run his own agenda than support the CEO's and this would be a fatal mistake. For the Jeff supporters get him in as CEO and replace Jackson if you think he will do a better job or let Jackson get on with it.

• Like 2

Are you on drugs?

I'm with B59 in that I would entertain JK's proposition at least until there is more detail. I think that's fairly sensible.

FWIW I am leaning against the idea. Political persuasions aside, as you say, he is a bit of a loose cannon and is coming off more & more eccentric these days.

Is the PJ thing purely hypothetical?

I'm with B59 in that I would entertain JK's proposition at least until there is more detail. I think that's fairly sensible.

FWIW I am leaning against the idea. Political persuasions aside, as you say, he is a bit of a loose cannon and is coming off more & more eccentric these days.

Is the PJ thing purely hypothetical?

Jeff's history of working with other strong minded people is not good. Robson although not flavour of the month at the moment was a good operator at Hawthorn and helped turn the club around with Dicker, moved to Essendon mid season under Jeff. Pelchan, who was the architect of their list moved on less then happy. You do the sums.

• Like 1

Kennett has already said he sees it as a management position. He loves a challenge and there's none bigger in footy. I can't quite understand the angst. We're rock bottom and have been handed a jackhammer.

Coaches take on different clubs. Jackson was passionate about Essendon. Arocca loved the pies. All Kennett needs to be is passionate about this challenge and the club succeeding. Once he becomes invested in our progress there will be more than enough passion about our performances.

There's no way he'll try to merge the club as it's the polar opposite of what he's trying to deliver, i.e. a strong MFC.

I really can't see why long suffering supporters wouldn't embrace this idea.

• Like 2

I think a lot of people are confusing roles at a football club. Neil Balme pointed this out pretty well, it is the CEO's job to run the club, the board and the President oversee this on behalf of the members. There role is a governance role.

Peter Jackson will be the agent of change we need at this club, he will need the support of a strong President and board. Jeff is more likely to run his own agenda than support the CEO's and this would be a fatal mistake. For the Jeff supporters get him in as CEO and replace Jackson if you think he will do a better job or let Jackson get on with it.

The Board's role is to set the vision and strategies for the club, as well as maintaining corporate governance. It is the CEO's job to run the club and implement the vision and ideas of the Board.

Kennett has already said he sees it as a management position. He loves a challenge and there's none bigger in footy. I can't quite understand the angst. We're rock bottom and have been handed a jackhammer.

Coaches take on different clubs. Jackson was passionate about Essendon. Arocca loved the pies. All Kennett needs to be is passionate about this challenge and the club succeeding. Once he becomes invested in our progress there will be more than enough passion about our performances.

There's no way he'll try to merge the club as it's the polar opposite of what he's trying to deliver, i.e. a strong MFC.

I really can't see why long suffering supporters wouldn't embrace this idea.

If that's the case then the choice is Kennett or Jackson. My choice is Jackson that's why I don't embrace this idea.

• Like 1

The Board's role is to set the vision and strategies for the club, as well as maintaining corporate governance. It is the CEO's job to run the club and implement the vision and ideas of the Board.

No it's not as simple as that but maybe one of our corporate governance experts could fill in the detail.